mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Any other 24" i should add to the list?

Brand Model Brake Type Shifter Type Price
    GT Lola/ Stomper Disk finger- 8 $379
    Specialized Hotrock V Grip - 8 $400
    Norco 4.2 V Grip- 7 $420
    Haro Flightline V Grip- 6 $360

This is my current list. Would prefer to stay under $400. Have twin girls so looking to buy 2. They are both on 20" Norco's right now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    My experience, buy the bike with disc brakes and trigger shifter. Buy at least 8 speeds for potential future upgradability if ever desired. REI co-op has some bikes in that price range as well.

Commencal Ramones can be had for close to the same price but no suspension fork.

Cannondale Trail 24 as well. I happen to hate my daughters Cannondale, but only because of the v-brakes and grip shifter. Otherwise it would be ok, and for $100 used I can't complain too much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks, I added the Trek as well. It has V brakes and grip shift as well. My kids current norco is 6spd and i changed the shifters on them. But feel they could use a few more gears.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon21 View Post
    Brand Model Brake Type Shifter Type Price
    GT Lola/ Stomper Disk finger- 8 $379
    Specialized Hotrock V Grip - 8 $400
    Norco 4.2 V Grip- 7 $420
    Haro Flightline V Grip- 6 $360

This is my current list. Would prefer to stay under $400. Have twin girls so looking to buy 2. They are both on 20" Norco's right now.
    Vitus is close to that price range and worth a look.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I made a spreadsheet of all the 24" bikes I was looking at, but the price range was over $400. I spent a long time promising my son we would buy him a new bike, so we went through lots and lots of looking. An older version image is here:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/families-rid...a-1127219.html

I could send you an updated version but there are no bikes under $400.

For the price range, the GT Lola Ace is an almost unbeatable deal given that you need to buy two. An Altus derailleur, Shimano trigger shifter, disc brakes, and an 8 speed cassette are better than what you will find on most anything else under the $400 price. The Cannondale Trail 24 is 8 speed, disc brakes, but has a twist shifter and Tourney derailleur at $410 at REI. Granted the Cannondale is listed at 26 lbs while the GT is listed at 28 lbs, not sure how much that makes a difference to you.

We are on the same FB groups, I'll send you a message.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks, i keep coming back to the lola/ stomper but maybe unwarranted discrediting it due to it beign a Dicks bike. I agree for the price it seems hard to beat, but does weigh a little more than the others (2-4lb)

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    You get a pretty massive upgrade if you spend a bit more cash to get to a Vitus Nucleus 24". Air fork, hydraulic brakes, super nice/light tires, good geo, 9 sp etc. Worth every penny imo and you'll CERTAINLY get a much better resale/cost value out of it since its a legit hardtail. 25lbs

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I agree the Vitus is a nice bike, but that "extra cash" has to be done for both, Ordered the Lola Ace and will order the Stomper Ace when its back in stock. $200 less than the vitus ($400 when you consider 2 bikes).

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon21 View Post
    I agree the Vitus is a nice bike, but that "extra cash" has to be done for both, Ordered the Lola Ace and will order the Stomper Ace when its back in stock. $200 less than the vitus ($400 when you consider 2 bikes).
    Nice, I know those bikes. they are nice. GT does a good job and thats a great value price dude. I didn't see that you were buying two. Good luck man. Maybe you try to keep them away from MTBing lol. Spendy!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    your not kidding haha. I think only one of them will continue with it, but their younger brother who is now on 2 wheels and really likes it as well is gonna add another wrench. Hes getting one of their norco storm 20" bikes now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    $480 for the Haro, it's 8 speed with disk and + sized tires. I played the game and it just seemed to be the best I could get for the money.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    The GT Stomper/Lola Ace have a regular freehub so should you want to upgrade to 10 or 11 spd it's easier. If you can wait just a bit keep an eye out for a 20% off sale which will get them to under $300. Then spend that savings on suntour air 24 or spinner grind air fork

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks all, ended up getting the Lola Ace and Stomper Ace from Dicks. They were $366 each after tax which isnt bad for what they come with IMO. Should last them until they outgrow them and give me the ability to build one up for my son when he gets it as a hand me down

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Did the specs match what you got on your Stomper Ace? We ordered one last night and my wife just picked it up from Dicks and got it home. Once I saw it, the specks did not match what was advertised both on Dick and GT web pages.

7 speed - should have been 8 speed
    Shimano RevoShift Grip Shifter - should have a trigger shifter - big gripe
    Tourney components - should have been Altus - not a big difference but a step up

Not sure what to think about this. Lower components, less gearing and most importantly I did not want a grip shifter for my kid.

The color I got was Blue Silver with orange lettering, not sure if that matters.

How was your bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Big Watch View Post
    Did the specs match what you got on your Stomper Ace? We ordered one last night and my wife just picked it up from Dicks and got it home. Once I saw it, the specks did not match what was advertised both on Dick and GT web pages.

7 speed - should have been 8 speed
    Shimano RevoShift Grip Shifter - should have a trigger shifter - big gripe
    Tourney components - should have been Altus - not a big difference but a step up

Not sure what to think about this. Lower components, less gearing and most importantly I did not want a grip shifter for my kid.

The color I got was Blue Silver with orange lettering, not sure if that matters.

How was your bike?
    Which one did you get? Black, Purple, Navy, or Light Blue?

I noticed the description was wrong for all of them, the Navy and Light blue had the 7spd Grip shift and Tourney derailleur. I ordered the Black and Purple due to the pictures. But they have not come in yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I got the Silver Blue as in this link.
    They only had 2 choices black or silver blue.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...24mstmprcxxbjm

I will try to get the pic later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yea, the pics show the revo shift and tourney derailluer on the blue and silver. Specs say different though. I should have the black one tomorrow and the purple one tomorrow so ill see then. I would complain to them that the specs say other wise and the bikes not as advertised and see what they do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Did you all get the Ace or the Pro?

The Pro lists the tourney and 7 speed and twist shifter.

The Ace lists the Altus and 8 speed and trigger shifter

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Both the ones i got were the Ace (Lola Ace and Stomper Ace). However, the stomper Ace was showing the Black or Blue/ Silver option in the same screen Description. The light blue was the only one listed as the Pro

The Blue/ Silver isnt even showing for me anymore. Which is weird because i saw that option yesterday. The Picture seemed to show the Pro and the description said the Ace, but for number of gears it says 16... so i didnt have much faith in the specs anyway

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Impressed so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any other 24" i should add to the list?-ed5c0307-8b58-45cd-9722-3a6a790cb690.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The Silver Blue I got was listed as ACE, but when we got it home on the frame the decal says PRO.
    I see, it is gone from their page now. I will be calling Dicks tomorrow to see what they say. My kid did not like the black and loves the color, but can't shift the gears. Guess we will see what happens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any other 24" i should add to the list?-346b4867-02b6-41c5-84d8-6ac232161357.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    i would defiantly push back. Changing the shifter isn't hard and doesn't cost much. However i believe you only got 7 speeds instead of 8, and the Tourney derailleur is a step down from the Altus. So there are a few different things that were advertised incorrectly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Just got of the phone with Dicks and they did us good.
    Wanted to return the bike, but could not take it out of my sons grip. Did not realized 8 year old's can hold on to things so tight.
    So, I took few $ discount Dicks offered and will just replace few parts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just picked one of these up for my 7 1/2 year old and he loves it. He wanted a front shock but those are basically worthless on the kids bike. The fat tires work great as a shock. Nice lightweight aluminium frame as well.