Any knee pad suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Any knee pad suggestions?

I need something legit, my kid has used the IXS Carve Evo pads and they have the protection he needs but they've given him grief by cutting into his back leg a bit. I like 7iDP stuff (I used their Sam Hill pads) but they only have the super light transition knee pads which I really worry are too light\thin etc and aren't made with the SAS-tech stuff.

Maybe the Fox D30 kids pads? I like the Sam Hill pads because they have pretty solid protection (surrounding the knee too) but also the sleeve is super light unlike a heavy/hot neoprene sleeve. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I can recommend the POC Joint Air kneepads for trailriding. But note that they are slightly shorter on the shin and a bit less protective on the side of the knee compared to the FOX Launch pro youth. The XS adult size of the POCs fits my 130 cm junior. We also have the FOX waiting as they are slighly bigger, maybe theyíll fit in 6 months or so.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Cool, didn't think to consider an XS Adult. I know a zillion people seem to like their Joint VPD 2.0 knee pads, tho spendy.

How is the central padding on the Fox Launch Pro Youth pads? I've seen their Fox Launch D30 Youth pads and they seem to be different than the Launch Pro's. Do you like the central padding or is it just a plastic cap and some cheap padding underneath?

EDIT: I did just notice that the Transition Knee pad has the same level of protection (certification wise at least) as my Sam Hill pads (which are awesome for me). They are CE 1621-1:2012 Level 2 rather than just Level 1 that almost all other kids pads are. They don't have the side pads but I'm guessing they are pretty dang comfortable with just compression sock rather than the Neoprene. I do wish they had a bit more side padding but that's how its goes for kids. Looks like I might have to just buy a few different pairs and return the ones that don't work out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    How is the central padding on the Fox Launch Pro Youth pads?
    As they still are a bit too large we have not tried them on yet. But from the feel, the central padding is on par with the POC VPD air. Donít know how they compare to D30. The padding on the launch pro is perforated, so maybe they could be cooler compared the POCs when weather gets warm. For sure, the POCs have saved the day a few times for us 😊

Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    the Transition Knee pad has the same level of protection (certification wise at least) as my Sam Hill pads (which are awesome for me). They are CE 1621-1:2012 Level 2
    Interesting, please report back if you get to try these!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by wallander View Post
    As they still are a bit too large we have not tried them on yet. But from the feel, the central padding is on par with the POC VPD air. Donít know how they compare to D30. The padding on the launch pro is perforated, so maybe they could be cooler compared the POCs when weather gets warm. For sure, the POCs have saved the day a few times for us 😊

Interesting, please report back if you get to try these!
    I ordered the Fox Launch D30 Youth pads, the 7iDP Youth Transition pads and the newer Leatt 3DF Youth Knee pads (supposed to be a bit thinner). I'll return the losers.

7iDP verified that their transition pad is the same as the Sam Hills and does meet the Level 2 CE protection (which is roughly 2x more protective). They also are half the weight and going to be much cooler/pedaly.

The Fox/Leatt level 1 pads do have additional side protection but also use a hot neoprene sock. Not sure how much side protection is needed. I like that the Sam Hills have a bit of extra as I've taken side hits that hurt before. Hoping the transition pads are enough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    OK, so we bought Leatt 3DF Junior knee pads, Fox D30 Junior Pads and the 7iDP L/XL Transition pads. I made him wear them in the house for a few hours to so he could get a good feel for what really worked vs what he just thought was cool.

1- The Leatt pads were def way to big and bulbous. They were def for bigger kids despite my kid being in the lower part of the size range.

2- The Fox D30 Junior pads were pretty nicely made. Better than Leatts I think. My kid likes the brand and wanted to keep these at first. They were a "touch" big on his thigh but the strap worked to help with that. The padding is fairly conforming and somewhat soft but also took the edge off of a hit on the kitchen floor (I tried them on my elbow too...very nice padding). Lots of coverage around the leg...though the side cushioning is just like memory foam padding, nothing fancy. The D30 does wrap over the knee area tho. In the end my kid really wanted to like them but they (like his IXS Carve Evo+) rub the rear area of his knee a bit raw (see pic) after a while. It didn't just go away real quick either. This was just from wearing around the house. The seams are just rough on all of these pads with the heavy neoprene sock and come together at a sensitive spot in the back of leg. The kid said they were pretty comfortable to wear at first tho. Def warmer. D30 is not removable which makes washing with soap not feasible (it ruins the pad)

3- Transition pads (keeping these) - fit great and you can easily just sow the upper strap together if they don't. We did that with GForms on my little guy. They are literally half the weight as everything else. The sock is a light weight sock material like my Sam Hills and same Sas-Tec padding (which is some of the best made). Removable easily too. The Sas-Tec padding is firm when cool but softens up. Apparently its level 2 and can take a harder hit...tho in my elbow testing on concrete countertop it was about the same as the D30 stuff if not a bit firmer. Its the big hit I care most about. The knee cap cup comes up higher and works really great when in bike position but does stick out a touch when leg is straight. Non-issue. The padding does provide pretty decent coverage around the knee and lower too. Ergonomic fit. Not as much coverage as the Fox's around the edges but close enough I believe. After 3 hours of wearing the Transitions, there was zero impact on the kids skin (which was the big test). Previously after 3 hrs of hard riding he's broken into tears before getting out of his IXS Carves as they wore the back of his knee raw. Transitions were also a lot cooler/breathable. You can tell when you pull them off.

44$ bucks on sale wasn't too bad.

Pics: Transitions vs Fox D30 youth
    Note: in the pics of the rear of his leg, the fox pads were on his left leg. You can see some redness there, it wasn't trivial when I looked at it. Pedaling in warmer weather would def have left him raw.

Any knee pad suggestions?-front.jpg
    Any knee pad suggestions?-kneeside.jpg
    Any knee pad suggestions?-back-leg.jpg