Any 27.2 dropper options for a 42lbs kid on 20" Trailcraft?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    814

    Any 27.2 dropper options for a 42lbs kid on 20" Trailcraft?

    I noticed the 27.2 droppers are much longer than 30.9 and other sizes.

    Brett from Trailcraft mentioned someone imported one from Taiwan from "Post Modern" but I haven't been able to find this brand online.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: richardjohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    148
    Depending on how much seatpost you have exposed you can try out the PNW posts maybe: https://www.pnwcomponents.com/collec...2-dropper-post

    My kids can push my pine down on my Jones with their weight, it is fairly lightly sprung. Comes in a 90mm and a 100m version.
    I like your bike

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    814
    Unfortunately total length is 355mm or almost 14".

    The shortest post I can find is the KS Lev with 335mm or 13.2". 220mm of insertion.

    The stock seatpost inserts 207mm. Total length about 260mm - 3 inches shorter than the KS Lev. Then there's the extra 13mm that won't insert (half an inch).

    We're manually adjusting the seatpost up by about 2-2.5 inches right now (although it could be more if he didn't have to start pedaling with it all the way up), so adding 3.5 inches in the lowered position is too much, unless I can find some super low profile seat, which seems doubtful.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: richardjohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    Unfortunately total length is 355mm or almost 14".

    The shortest post I can find is the KS Lev with 335mm or 13.2". 220mm of insertion.

    The stock seatpost inserts 207mm. Total length about 260mm - 3 inches shorter than the KS Lev. Then there's the extra 13mm that won't insert (half an inch).

    We're manually adjusting the seatpost up by about 2-2.5 inches right now (although it could be more if he didn't have to start pedaling with it all the way up), so adding 3.5 inches in the lowered position is too much, unless I can find some super low profile seat, which seems doubtful.
    I am in a similar bind with my kids, they just transition to 24" bikes and are hitting lines where a lower seat would be beneficial but they have very little post exposed now. Gonna have to wait for a few more inches of growth until they get to the height where this will be a good purchase.

    Someone should make a short dropper, like 50mm-70mm with a short insertion for kids bikes, there has got to be a market for it.
    I like your bike

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    814
    If nothing else works, I'm just going to drop a spring in there and work out an easier to use QR seat clamp..

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    814
    I also tried to Google some teardowns to see what the heck is inside the cheapo droppers-- can it be machined down? but no luck. I don't feel like tearing mine apart.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,055
    Brand-X CX 65mm version

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    814
    I can only find the 85mm version-- which is 350mm long, like all the other rebranded Wintek posts.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    814
    I watched some tear down videos. Sure seems like you could cut an inch or two off an existing cheapo dropper, it'd probably have to be at the bottom end. The bottom cap (where the cable connects) threads in to a thread on the inside of the post. The top end cap threads on the outside. Figuring out these threads and getting a tap and die seems like the hardest bit. Next hardest is that the plunger thingie that the actuator cable connects to would need an equal amount of shortening and some work in a lathe or it wouldn't work right.

    I could just get a frame with a bigger seatpost too.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    814
    The KS products website is a bit confusing. Here's everything that comes in 27.2/65mm:

    Eten (which has the lever on the underside of the seat, no remote, not ideal)
    https://www.kssuspension.com/product/eten/
    length 300/173mm insert length, 620 grams

    Eten-I (internally routed-- Blue Sky 20 doesn't have holes for routing)
    https://www.kssuspension.com/product/eten-i/
    length 310/178mm insert, 550gram

    E20I (internally routed again)
    https://www.kssuspension.com/product/e20i/
    300/178mm, 520g

    E30I (internally routed again)
    300/178mm, 485g

    Lev (external routing, but its longer)
    https://www.kssuspension.com/product/lev/
    length 335/205mm insert, 400 grams

    Note that the Eten-I, E20I, E30I specs are the same, they just get lighter.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    (internally routed-- Blue Sky 20 doesn't have holes for routing)
    That's an easily fixable problem.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    814
    I looked up the Norco Fluid 20" FS, which uses TransX droppers. I clicked on every product on TransX's website, these are compatible, but where to buy them?

    YSP-22 300mm length, 65mm travel, 605g TranzX-inspring your ride
    YSP-36 305/70. Also comes in 90mm. 525g TranzX-inspring your ride
    YSP-38J 315/70. Also comes in 90mm. 490g TranzX-inspring your ride

    Another with the lever right on the post. TranzX-inspring your ride

    All YSP specs in PDF form: http://tranzx.com/download/2019_YSP.pdf

  13. #13
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,963
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    I looked up the Norco Fluid 20" FS, which uses TransX droppers. I clicked on every product on TransX's website, these are compatible, but where to buy them?

    300mm length, 65mm travel, 605g TranzX-inspring your ride
    305/70. Also comes in 90mm. 525g TranzX-inspring your ride
    315/70. Also comes in 90mm. 490g TranzX-inspring your ride

    Another with the lever right on the post. TranzX-inspring your ride
    betcha they are OEM.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    814
    I can't even find the 65mm travel KS ones. Except the longer model. Guess I'll try to email them...

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    814
    Bike-discount has the 100mm versions.
    https://www.bike-discount.de/en/shop...d-tranzx/o-neu

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    The KS products website is a bit confusing. Here's everything that comes in 27.2/65mm:

    Eten (which has the lever on the underside of the seat, no remote, not ideal)
    https://www.kssuspension.com/product/eten/
    length 300/173mm insert length, 620 grams

    Eten-I (internally routed-- Blue Sky 20 doesn't have holes for routing)
    https://www.kssuspension.com/product/eten-i/
    length 310/178mm insert, 550gram

    E20I (internally routed again)
    https://www.kssuspension.com/product/e20i/
    300/178mm, 520g

    E30I (internally routed again)
    300/178mm, 485g

    Lev (external routing, but its longer)
    https://www.kssuspension.com/product/lev/
    length 335/205mm insert, 400 grams

    Note that the Eten-I, E20I, E30I specs are the same, they just get lighter.
    I have a couple Eten-r which is basically the one with the lever under the seat but the lever is really short and attaches to a cable with a handlebar mounted remote. All external but the cable goes up and down with the post.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    814
    KSS called me but I was on the phone*w/ a client-- they left a msg.*Basically the E droppers require more than 80lbs of body weight to get the seat to drop.* The LEV (external routed) and LEV integra (internal routed) are the only options that will work for 27.2 seat post size and my son's body weight.* Mike from KSS said his daughter is using one.*

    Note the length is longer, so that could be an issue.

    Lev
    https://www.kssuspension.com/product/lev/
    length 335/205mm insert, 400 grams

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,564
    Is it really that hard to just use a QR?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    814
    That's what everyone on here was saying back in 2014. Now find me a decent production MTB that doesn't have a dropper.

    Adjusting the seat post every five minutes so breaks the flow...

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Is it really that hard to just use a QR?
    This was a valid point 10 years ago when all droppers were expensive and unreliable. Now there are many cheap reliable options available. The better question is why Trailcraft used a 27.2 seat tube. 27.2 should have died years ago.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    814
    I asked Brett... to save weight.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    634
    Yeesh, how many grams could that possibly have saved?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    814
    I don't know. I bet we could look up the weight difference with aluminum tubing.

    Since I have a small business myself, I get how this kind of thing works though. I spend most of my time fulfilling orders, not doing design work. So I'm stuck with some design decisions I made years back because I haven't gotten to update the design because I have other priorities. Brett mentioned they'd converted to the bigger tubing on the bigger bikes. There's probably not a whole lot of folks screaming for dropper posts for their six year olds, so it was probably last on the to-do list.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    There's probably not a whole lot of folks screaming for dropper posts for their six year olds, so it was probably last on the to-do list.
    True.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,564
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    There's probably not a whole lot of folks screaming for dropper posts for their six year olds,
    Yeah, pretty much limited to a few of the members here I'd guess.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,564
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    Adjusting the seat post every five minutes so breaks the flow...
    You really taking a 6 year old on terrain that actually requires that?
    Or do you guys just like to play with levers?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    814
    He likes jump lines, and you want to slam the seat in the downhill bits on those. To get to the jump lines, it's either a fire road (which he hates) or longer mixed trails with up and down and they're chunky w/ roots n stuff.

    I dont think a dropper is necessary, but I'd rather not keep stopping. He isn't strong enough to do all the climbing standing out of the saddle (neither am I). I thought this search would be easier and I could buy my way out of the job of seat post adjuster.

    Im going to figure out what the dropper costs, because Yama Jama frames go on sale at the end of the year and it could be cheaper just to swap frames. Either that or wait till he gets a bit taller and can fit on a 100mm dropper, which is much more common.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by fitek View Post
    Either that or wait till he gets a bit taller and can fit on a 100mm dropper, which is much more common.
    If the insertion is ok with a 100mm post, go for that. Then use a cord, between the frame and the saddle rail, to limit the travel.

    We run a KS Lev integra 125mm fully inserted on my sons Spawn Yama Jama 20” (with 30.9mm tube). Now it’s limited to about 100mm travel, but 8 months ago it was limited to about 50mm travel. In spring we can probably run it at 125mm, or get a 24”

    The dropper is very good for our terrain which is rolling, with a lot of up and downs. Though I have to remind him to adjust it...

    Here's the only picture I found of it, let me know if you want more details
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any 27.2 dropper options for a 42lbs kid on 20" Trailcraft?-img_0609.jpg  


  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,055
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    You really taking a 6 year old on terrain that actually requires that?
    Or do you guys just like to play with levers?
    I just don't like playing with levers or hex keys throughout a ride.
    Requires? You can always resort to manually adjusting the seatpost but its really not much fun for either kid or parent.


    Terrain ... seems to me much more important with smaller wheels.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-XtC View Post
    I just don't like playing with levers or hex keys throughout a ride.
    Requires? You can always resort to manually adjusting the seatpost but its really not much fun for either kid or parent.


    Terrain ... seems to me much more important with smaller wheels.
    Seems silly and mainly just a way to scratch a gear-weenie itch to me, but of course my kid's motto has always been "sitting down is for old people". That and "ride it like you stole it" of course.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-XtC View Post
    I just don't like playing with levers or hex keys throughout a ride.
    Requires? You can always resort to manually adjusting the seatpost but its really not much fun for either kid or parent.

    Terrain ... seems to me much more important with smaller wheels.
    Is the "more important with smaller wheels" part limited to more downhill-oriented types of riding?

    For more XC-style riding, it would seem like most kids tall enough for a dropper would get more from moving up to bigger wheels.

    My 4yo is currently on a 20" with the seat slammed -- looking ahead at what the kids who are 5-6 are riding in the local races, the ones closer to the front of the pack all seem to be riding 24" bikes with the seats relatively low.

    Most kids I see with their seats high enough to fit a dropper are either getting smoked by the kids with bigger wheels or are older kids who have moved up to 27.5 or 29".

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    8,564
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTucker View Post
    Is the "more important with smaller wheels" part limited to more downhill-oriented types of riding?
    Not really - if you're riding DH/DJ/park/pumptrack, your seat is already living in the slammed position.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    814
    Sounds like Trailcraft is transitioning to a larger diameter seat tube diameter starting next year. So I'll probably just swap frames. By then my kid will be a bit taller and I can get a more common dropper size too. I'm going to look for a friendlier seatpost collar (longer lever arm) in the mean time so it's more pleasant to mess with.

Similar Threads

  1. 20-20 Stache 8 or 20-20 Fuel EX?
    By CRAZY FRED in forum 26+/27.5+/29+ Plus Bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-20-2019, 10:25 AM
  2. 20" Hardtail from Trailcraft!
    By svinyard in forum Families and Riding with Kids
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-27-2018, 01:49 PM
  3. Trailcraft 24 tire options?
    By Kingfisher2011 in forum Families and Riding with Kids
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-07-2018, 08:50 PM
  4. Introducing Trailcraft Cycles Big Mesa 26+ in XS and S sizes for riders 4'10"-5'6"
    By Trailcraft Cycles in forum 26+/27.5+/29+ Plus Bikes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-18-2017, 03:52 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-31-2012, 07:30 PM

Members who have read this thread: 6

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.