Aliexpress protective gear?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Aliexpress protective gear?

Has anyone tried any of the cheaper knee / elbow pads on aliexpress (or other protective gear)?

Wondering if there are cheaper options out there for smalller kids that might be more comfortable than the cheap strap on pads but less expensive than some of the nicer slip on style pads.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    How small of a kid? You can usually find the gform stuff on sale in small sizes. If it's too big, I've just sown the back together to make them smaller and they'll "grow" if I just pull the stitches.

Fwiw I love the strap on stuff for my 4yro. It's more than protective enough (well tested) and it's light years easier for me to put on. The Strider toddler pads actually fit kids well. I don't recall if it's strap on stuff tho. Also ZippyRooz gloves are sweet for the 3-4yro too. Held up well

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    2 and almost 4 (another 2 weeks).

For gloves, we have a pile of small through large Giro kids gloves that I picked up from performance bike at 90% off.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    As an example of what I'm looking at, these look somewhat similar to the gform pads, but at about half the price I've seen them on sale:
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bSItgKA8

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    There's also this style that's super cheap, but I have my doubts how well they'd survive multiple crashes:
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/ZIe5RgG

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ordered 2 sets of the gform knockoffs to try and they came in today:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4Pcs...954646185.html
    Aliexpress protective gear?-20190415_193107.jpg

First impressions:
    • They seem decently made
    • Ages 2-10 is a little over ambitious as a claim
    • Knees pads seem OK on my 4 year old, tightening the velco all the way. They're far too big for the 2 year old.
    • Elbow pads are far too loose for both kids.
    • Elbow pads are just a hair too small to use on my 2 year old as knee pads. For a really young kid (12-18 months), these could be a really nice lightweight protection option.
    • Knee pads seem to be about the right size to use as an adult elbow pad, so they can be repurposed over time.

Total cost was $56 shipped for 2 sets of pads and a set of titanium QR skewers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    The IXS stuff is super small in kids sizes. You may want to give those a try. I just got my kids the carve elbow pads. I'd be surprised if the kids small didn't fit your 4yo. I found 'em for a little over $50/set. Both have liked the fox hardshell strap pads which protect knee and shin which they've been using for over a year now. They had the fox kids strap on elbow pads for the same time but recently started complaining about comfort.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My sister is pretty big into sewing, so our next step is for her to try seeing what it would take to size down the elbow pads for both boys & get the knee pads sized down for the 2 year old.