Alienation TCS 24 rim, what is the actual weight?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Alienation TCS 24 rim, what is the actual weight?

Hello all, I am considering building some new wheels for my son's MT220. I have found many sites which list the Alienation TCS 24" size (ISO507) as being 290 grams. However, on Alienation's website, they list the Mischief TCS wheel as 20" ISO406, and 290 grams, and I don't find a reference to the 24" size.

https://www.alienationbmx.com/parts-2018/mischief-rim

I have actually contacted them on their "contact us" page, but they never replied.

Does anyone know what is correct?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody special View Post
    Hello all, I am considering building some new wheels for my son's MT220. I have found many sites which list the Alienation TCS 24" size (ISO507) as being 290 grams. However, on Alienation's website, they list the Mischief TCS wheel as 20" ISO406, and 290 grams, and I don't find a reference to the 24" size.

https://www.alienationbmx.com/parts-2018/mischief-rim

I have actually contacted them on their "contact us" page, but they never replied.

Does anyone know what is correct?

Thanks.
    https://www.alienationbmx.com/portfolio/tcs-mischief

The list the Malice as the 24" version on the Mischief page with a weight of 380.

Also says that Mischief wheels are meant for race use and only in the front, which means they're more for playing weight-weenie than actually being ridden.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Bikes in jeans
    Danscomp lists them at 380g, almost all of the specs on other sites seem to be for the 20in version at 290g, so a bit difficult to get accurate info on these. Danscomp also states that the 24in version is not meant for tubeless.

Not sure if it applies to these, but you have to watch out a bit for some of the BMX 24in rims. They list as 24in, but they often have larger EDR/BSD's and don't play well with MTB tires, especially if you're trying to run tubeless. I don't know enough about these to say if that would apply though.

Have you looked to see if you can find some 24in Stans Crest rims? ~305g and they're killer for tubeless.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    https://www.alienationbmx.com/portfolio/tcs-mischief

The list the Malice as the 24" version on the Mischief page with a weight of 380.

Also says that Mischief wheels are meant for race use and only in the front, which means they're more for playing weight-weenie than actually being ridden.
    I've seen the Malice, but that is the rim brake wheel for the rear, at 380 grams and about $55. A Sun CR18 is a rim brake at 390 grams and only $20, and that is what he has on his MT220 now.

The Mischief 24 is supposed to be the disc brake version to work with the Malice 24 rim brake rear wheel, and therefore lighter. BMX bikes don't run front brakes normally, and the wheel should be strong enough for an adult jumping in cruiser class, and my son is only 73 lbs, so I figure it ill be OK. Of course this is assuming that the sites listing the data are correct to begin with.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Danscomp lists them at 380g, almost all of the specs on other sites seem to be for the 20in version at 290g, so a bit difficult to get accurate info on these. Danscomp also states that the 24in version is not meant for tubeless.

Not sure if it applies to these, but you have to watch out a bit for some of the BMX 24in rims. They list as 24in, but they often have larger EDR/BSD's and don't play well with MTB tires, especially if you're trying to run tubeless. I don't know enough about these to say if that would apply though.

Have you looked to see if you can find some 24in Stans Crest rims? ~305g and they're killer for tubeless.
    I know about the Stans 24" Crest wheels, but at $100 each, while the Mischiefs are listed at $65 each in places. The $100/rim for a wheel build is just more than I want to spend on the bike.

I want to convert it to disc brakes and a decent fork, for a little cash as possible. I think I can knock 4 pounds off it with a Manitou Markhor and cheap disc brake hubs on CR18 rims, and a 1x10 conversion. I am comparing this with just ordering a new bike at twice the price of the upgrades. A 290 et of gram rims for an extra $90 total would be OK with me.

Regarding the ISO diameter, the Mischief and Malice are listed at ISO507 so I figure they will work since that should be the bead set diameter, and it's the same as typical 24" kids bike wheels. Many of the BMX race wheels are ISO520, but the Malice and Mischief are listed at ISO507.

Thanks.