Aggressive hardtail 24- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Aggressive hardtail 24

As the child is becoming more playful on the bike, and going higher on the jumps, I think it's time to move to a hardtail.
    What are the measurements that make a bike more playful? I understand a shorter chainstay is desirable, but what else to look for?

Suggestions on makes/models? I have a RST F1rst fork, crankset and derailleur from his earlier bike, so a good frame is also up for consideration. (See below for the carnage!)

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Interesting... jumping higher and riding harder is usually where I see people on here recommending switching away from hardtails.

If you're looking for a frame that can hold up to abuse, what about one designed for dirt jumping?

I know of at least 2 that are designed for kids:
    https://spawncycles.com/kotori-24-1
    https://meekboyz.com/product/titaniu...mper-frame-24/

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    New Norco Rampage is a super sick DJ too (by the looks of it!)

Spawn Yama Jama 24" is a pretty nice hardtail that has an updated spec. Rocky Mtn Vertex isnt bad either iirc.

The old Vitus 24" Nuclues is an insane value and nice bike. Always out of stock these days it seems.

Prevelo makes a nice hardtail too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Of course MeekBoyz makes a Ti DJ, LOL.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    My 7ryo has grown out of his 20" Yama Jama for sure. However with some 4" youth Fly Bars and extra PSI in the fork...it makes for a sweet dirt jumper (until little brother takes it). I should prob swap to some cheaper, more DJ tires I guess but regardless...its works pretty damn well and he loves it for the few times he uses it. (most of the time he's on the BMX when not on the trail).

Another reason why these hardtails can last for a while. Also, Spawn's Kotari DJ comes frame only for about 250$ iirc. You can even get the extra dropout with derailleur hanger to throw some gears on it too.

mtbr member
    The Kotori is the frontrunner (Tim suggested above as well) out of a bunch of great suggestions. Thanks you all

That Commencal looks gorgeous, I was looking at that earlier.

But that Vitus-- it LOOKS like it would be too road-oriented... Am I wrong?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTucker View Post
    Interesting... jumping higher and riding harder is usually where I see people on here recommending switching away from hardtails.
    I think you are right on about the dirt jumper. One of those frames with a cassette on it will be just the right mix of both worlds!

I think we got the 24" FS for my son when he was early five years old, And it made some harder trails a little bit more manageable for him. both because easier to roll, and because suspension.
    now that he can ride that thing faster than I can ride my hardtail, it's time to reel him in! J/k only a bit-- but really the point is now that he can ride very well, I want him to be able to be a bit more precise and a bit more challenged.
    He has a dedicated downhill bike, if he wants to really hit massive drops--but right now we're just talking a foot are so in the air, and technique over tables etc