6 speed freewheel upgrade compatibility?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

6 speed freewheel upgrade compatibility?

Thanks in advance to any insight here. I picked up the below 20" Trek Precaliber 6 spd used off CL. I have upgraded several areas based off some resources here, not least of which was dropping the fork for a Carbon Chiner.

https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/...d_boys/details

Now I would like to make some changes in the gearing. Reason being is two-fold. Mainly to get better options in trigger shifting, but while I'm at it I'd like to increase from 28t to 24t. It is a freewheel setup. I won't be dropping any money into upgrading the wheel set so my thinking now leaves me with the below 2 options. Please let me know what you think. My concern is if I am able to upgrade from 6sp to 7 or 8 on a freewheel, If it is even possible size wise.

Option 1:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002I7PSKU...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Pick up this 8 speed freewheel and pair it with a set of 8 spd Shimano Altus Shifter and rear derailleur from the used parts bin. This would be my preferred option, but I'm not sure if it would be compatable.

Option 2:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074JGTWNL..._t1_B003RLNOKC

Go with this 7 Spd Freewheel, use the 6/7 spd Shimano Tourney TY300 that is already on the bike along with a Shimano SL-M310 shifter. My guess would be this would be more likely to fit from 6 to 7. It gets him the 34t, but with a jump from 24 to 34.

Thanks for taking the time to read. Can anyone advise if either of those could be an option for a painless upgrade?

turtles make me hot
    I built a Gary Fisher Precaliber for my son when he was small. I built a wheel with a nice old XT hub I had from an older bike and added the 8 speed cassette from the same bike. Worked a treat.
    I guess Id go with the eight speed freewheel to give your child a smoother transition between gears.
    Also look at Trailcraft Cranks. I used em on a cheap 20 inch fat bike my brother bought for his son last Christmas. They were perfect. I was able to use a 26 tooth Wolftooth ring in place of the 36 that came on the bike.
    I put a 9 speed freewheel on that bike. Works great.
    I like turtles