300USD 24" Bike Suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2018

300USD 24" Bike Suggestions

My daughter is ready for a 24" bike. Any suggestions for neighborhood and gravel path riding? So far here are my choices.

Vitus 24
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod168788

Framed 24
    https://www.framedbikes.com/collecti...tain-bike-kids

Raleigh Rowdy 24
    https://www.raleighusa.com/rowdy24

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I misread your other post about the Vitus bike. As a neighborhood/road/gravel bike, that Vitus looks mint for the price.

As a side note, unless you are planning on doing big miles, its the 80's again...buy them a BMX! They'll be 10x the rider in no time and only know how to stand and jam . A nice Cult Juvenile, Fit, Sunday, WeThePeople, United etc. would be awesome. Plus they can ride all the skate parks and pumptracks. It's the perfect development bike and compliments a mountain bike really well if you go that route later.

Why? If you buy a neighborhood cruiser, kid will usually only learn to sit and pedal and typically have next to zero legit skills. A recent kid we hang with got a BMX, could barely get around the Velo pumptrack...6mo later he is crushing it and jumping into the corners, tables etc. Plus a nice BMX punishes kids for sitting down which I love .

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    ^ My oldest's first "real" bike was a 20" with gears, youngest had a 16" single speed bmx style. Now my 7 yr old can consistently out-climb her 9 yr old sister. She absolutely will NOT sit down and pedal uphill (and never comes near her granny gear)! Big sis only occasionally gets out of the saddle to climb. Huge difference in the kids' riding styles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
    ^ My oldest's first "real" bike was a 20" with gears, youngest had a 16" single speed bmx style. Now my 7 yr old can consistently out-climb her 9 yr old sister. She absolutely will NOT sit down and pedal uphill (and never comes near her granny gear)! Big sis only occasionally gets out of the saddle to climb. Huge difference in the kids' riding styles.
    Ha, I never considered that climbing aspect but good point. They get dialed into those stand and power pedals. My 4yo stands/jumps now as well...mostly because I just refused to ever raise his seat lol. Its paid off.

Side note: a BMX bike fits kids for a LONG time. Much longer than a MTB in our experience. They are designed to be small (hence 7-8-9 yro) riding 16" at times. An 18" can be a great option but I'd go into a BMX shop and get fitted, you def don't want them to ride big.

My 7ryo on 16" United Recruit (red rims and dice for valve covers!!). He is 60lbs and 51in tall: Bike def fits him. We tried an 18" recently and it was terrible. Little jump vid below: (sry for slowmo but you can see fitment easily)
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/59W9FCnaG6cUmCv88

He has another year or so on this bike. He also has a Spawn 20" Hardtail but we are in the process of grabbing a 24" FS as he fits that for a MTB now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    For neighborhood / gravel riding, I wonder what happened to all the Fuji Ace 24s from performance bike and whether or not they'd take a wider gravel tire.

All the local stores had a dozen or so each selling for $40-50 before they closed. Was a little tempted, but it's going to be a while before we're ready for a 24".

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    I misread your other post about the Vitus bike. As a neighborhood/road/gravel bike, that Vitus looks mint for the price.

As a side note, unless you are planning on doing big miles, its the 80's again...buy them a BMX! They'll be 10x the rider in no time and only know how to stand and jam . A nice Cult Juvenile, Fit, Sunday, WeThePeople, United etc. would be awesome. Plus they can ride all the skate parks and pumptracks. It's the perfect development bike and compliments a mountain bike really well if you go that route later.

Why? If you buy a neighborhood cruiser, kid will usually only learn to sit and pedal and typically have next to zero legit skills. A recent kid we hang with got a BMX, could barely get around the Velo pumptrack...6mo later he is crushing it and jumping into the corners, tables etc. Plus a nice BMX punishes kids for sitting down which I love .
    I pulled the trigger on the Vitus 24 Bike but through Wiggle. Chain Reaction Cycles is charging shipping now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    After reading some posts in this forum, I went out and got the GT Stomper Ace 24. Got it for $250. Really decent bike for the price point....and it has disc brakes. My 10 year old loves the bike. Rides whenever the weather allows.
    2019 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp Carbon 27.5
    2018 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 6Fattie
    2015 GT Sensor AL Comp

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenhawk View Post
    After reading some posts in this forum, I went out and got the GT Stomper Ace 24. Got it for $250. Really decent bike for the price point....and it has disc brakes. My 10 year old loves the bike. Rides whenever the weather allows.
    Is this a recent purchase? May I know where you got the bike for that price? I'm only seeing 399usd online. Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by thennek View Post
    Is this a recent purchase? May I know where you got the bike for that price? I'm only seeing 399usd online. Thanks
    Yes. Earlier in March 2019. With the 20% off coupon at Dicks Sporting Goods.
    2019 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp Carbon 27.5
    2018 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 6Fattie
    2015 GT Sensor AL Comp

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    The GT Lola Ace is a great bike for under $400 I got my daughter one for 280 plus bought an air for from SRSuntour for $128. My daughter is actually advancing faster on this bike than her previous Raleigh.