26" wheel upgrade- Mtbr.com
    Gruntled

26" wheel upgrade

Upgrading my 8yo's GT to disc and looking for new wheels.

Anyone been through this search and know a "reasonably" priced, not too heavy wheel set?

Looking for 26", Disc, QR, 8,9,10 spd, capable of 2.3" tires.

Not sure of rear, but the front wheel on the bike now is ~850g. I'm hoping to not go crazy heavier here, as I'm shedding weight off the bike everywhere else.

turtles make me hot
    Bike Hub Store hubs are nice, light hubs for a reasonable price. For a small kid you could certainly go with 28 spokes, real light, like Supercomps or equivalent. They are a little pricey. Alloy nipples and Stans Arches.
    I just built a set of wheels almost exactly like these for my friends son but they were 27.5 and I used Sunringle Helix rims. They dont make em in 26. Too bad. Theryre like 35 bucks cheaper than Arches.
    This would make a nice, light tubeless wheelset. My son used Arches when he was on 26 inch wheels. They were perfect. Now my buddys five foot wife is on em.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Facebook marketplace, pinkbike, and Craigslist. I wouldn’t even bother looking for a new wheelset. If you have a LBS you frequent, let them know what you’re looking for...I guarantee there’s an old racer with a light 26 wheelset that’s been sitting around for a decade that will let them go cheap.

Bikes in jeans
    What's your approximate budget? I'd be looking ebay or CL personally. I've found some crazy cheap stuff over the past few years.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

Gruntled
    Thanks all.

I'm not looking (and probably not capable) of lacing up my own.

The 28h idea is a great idea. I'm keeping an eye out for those. Dude is a big 8yo (almost nine) at ~90lbs, but still relatively light.

I guess I'd like a set at around $100 - but I'll go over that, maybe by a lot, if I need to.

I'm basically trying to get his 28.5# bike as light as I can for as cheap as I can - plus updrade to disc. Thus the need for wheels, but not too heavy. Tubeless would be sweet - but seems unlikely with the QRs and price point...

I'll keep an eye on the used market!

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by LDinME View Post
    Tubeless would be sweet - but seems unlikely with the QRs and price point...

I'll keep an eye on the used market!
    This is why I mentioned building them. I've had parents ask me to lace up carbon rims to 100/135 QR hubs for exactly that reason. You normally can't find em.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm was very close to picking up a set from "Bicycle Wheel Warehouse" via their Ebay store when I built Si's bike. They've got some decent options and the weights are posted. Ultimately I threw the budget in the trash and went with the Trailcraft wheels, but I still think the BWW are viable.