26" Nobby Nics vs. RR vs. something else?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

26" Nobby Nics vs. RR vs. something else?

I wanted to put this out here and see what the masses were running for XC work on the 26" bikes? We've been running RR's for a couple of years on 24" and 26" bikes with good results but at the race this last weekend there was a lot of loose stuff and the kiddo was having trouble keeping the back end hooked up. Worse still, the outer knobs on the Rons are literally about to tear off of the tire. Other than that, they've been solid and we haven't had any issues running them tubeless.

Now that they've got a proper 26x2.1 NN available I was thinking about swapping out the rear tire (needs replacement anyway) and going that route. Might be a hair slower, but should split the difference between traction & weight. Has anyone tried them? The NN's are TLE, Addix Speedgrip and the RR's are just the plain performance line. Theoretically the NN should be a lot more tire.

mtbr member
    I was hugely happy switching to WTB vigilante for more grip on rougher terrain. 2.3x26

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    My son is going to try the Panaracer Fire XC 26x2.1 this coming season. I am hoping they roll well. The tread pattern looks a bit more aggressive than what I usually use.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The WTB's weren't on my radar but they're chunky and I think they'll rub, if they fit at all. Clearance is really tight on the little XC frames. I think a 2.25 is about all you can squeeze in between the stays. I ordered another RR to get us by, but Jenson shows the NN's are due to show up in a few weeks. I'm thinking about picking one up just to try it.
    Last edited by Kingfisher2011; 02-11-2020 at 07:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I will never run rr tires again.

my daughter had the older version in a 27.5 2.8 We aired the bike down as directed by our mtb instructor and she crashed twice that day

The knob design folds over very easily You need a base support to stabilize the spike. Id rather find a tire design that stabilizes itself.

i love my purgatory grid and she has the rekon+ and hasnt had any issues. The purg has more grip imo Like the rubber and damping it has. They recently changed the tire again so have a look at a specialized dealer to see if it works for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I can see 27.5+ doing that. I ran NN's in 27.5x2.8 and they were awesome. The 26's on the kiddo's bike are only 2.1's which probably helps. Not nearly as much potential for squirm. There's no free lunch, so I'm trying to see if I can land somewhere in the middle between lightweight & fast rolling and increased traction.

Bikes in jeans
    Are you running tubeless?

The tread pattern between the 2 is very similar, weight is the primary difference IMO, but NN's do have a bit more grip. I tend to lean towards rons as being race and/or ultralight and would prefer NN's as a daily riding tire. Both of these definitely benefit from running tubeless so you can reduce the pressure a bit. I haven't had issues with them on hard pack or loose over hardpack like some other tires but I run 2.25 in the back and 2.35 in the front.

Also, the hans dampf's are way beefier if you need the tread and can fit them on the frame but definitely take a weight hit on them.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yeah, tubeless setup. This IS his race bike, hence the RR's.

We ordered the Hans Dampfs for his 24" Trailcraft when they came out. Way too big, and the 26's would be no exception. More enduro style than XC/trail.

mtbr member
    Weve got rrs in 24, 26 and 27.5. Really good all around tire for xc work. Im not sure if theres much better 🤷🏻*♂️

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    When I used to run Schwalbe tires I always had better performance with RaRas vs RoRos. RaRas don't last as long though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Came across these while looking possible race tires for a friend last fall:
    https://www.csttires.com/us/tire/b-fast-c1870/

380g for 26x1.95 / 430g for 27.5 is pretty light, but unfortunately no one seems to stock the 26" in the US.

The actual photos on modernbike.com of the 27.5 make the tread look a lot better than the renders on the CST site:
    https://www.modernbike.com/cst-b-fas...ing-bead-black

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    For 26, why not run something like a Maxxis Ikon? My opinion is a 2.35, run tubeless with proper (low) presure will have great traction. It's what I've been running on my 29 for years now. Not sure there is much better.

https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-278-140-ikon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    For 26, why not run something like a Maxxis Ikon? My opinion is a 2.35, run tubeless with proper (low) presure will have great traction. It's what I've been running on my 29 for years now. Not sure there is much better.

https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-278-140-ikon
    Good call. I'll think on that one. From a grip perspective the Ikons may very well be a better fit, assuming the bike has the clearance (it should). I'll be honest and say I didn't even consider them because I've run them on my Cutthroat in 29x2.2 and they were super slow (as a gravel tire).

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher2011 View Post
    Good call. I'll think on that one. From a grip perspective the Ikons may very well be a better fit, assuming the bike has the clearance (it should). I'll be honest and say I didn't even consider them because I've run them on my Cutthroat in 29x2.2 and they were super slow (as a gravel tire).
    Hmm, yeah I wouldn't know about it in a gravel sense, although that sounds surprising. I've run the 3C MaxxSpeed TR (Non EXO) and they've been extremely supple and fast, and that's on my hardtail. Never let me down on grip either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    My favorite all around xc tire right now is a Bontrager XR2