24" rigid fork w/bosses?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

24" rigid fork w/bosses?

Hi, do you have any recommendations for a rigid fork for a Norco Storm 4.2? It's got 24" wheels. Does this exist?

https://www.norco.com/bikes/youth/yo...m-24/storm-42/

That bike has a suspension fork and an axle to crown measurement of 416mm. I'd like to replace it.

I found this on eBay, but it's for disc brakes. I'd have to add bosses so that's a downer. It's got an axle to crown measurement of 375mm. Is this an acceptable axle to crown measurement in a rigid fork to maintain the proper geometry and handling of the original bike?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Rigid-Mo...97.m4902.l9144

Any other suggestions for sources? One preferably with bosses?

If this is a dead end I guess I'll start looking at different bikes.

Thanks!

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Jump on ebay, they're on there all the time.

Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRAIL-TUNED...cAAOSwrVRbaFvo

I have no clue of the bosses on this one are usable, just pointing out they're routinely available. Amazingly, if you need a 1in headtube, it's usually easier to find them than 1 1/8 forks.

If you don't mind switching to disc, a BB7 mech is cheap with little effort to switch to, but check out https://www.carboncycles.cc, but double check the height of them, some are rather short.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks. Good to know eBay is a source.

To what degree do I have to worry about compatibility for axle to crown measurement? What should I be looking for to make sure the new fork keeps the intended geometry?

The fork I linked to says axle to crown is 375 mm (also claims to be for suspension replacement)

The one you linked to, I gather from the description, says the axle to crown is 13 inches or 322mm

The original bike with the front suspension (coil spring, 50 mm of travel) has an axle to crown of 416mm

What should I be aiming for? The second fork seems too short, the first one seems maybe almost long enough but not quite?

Thanks

Hardtail Steel Forever
    That's probably way too much drop. Completely my own opinion and experience here. If you can't find something without roughly 10mm difference, I'd go the disc route. We got a Mosso one on ebay that was listed at like 445 but it amazingly came out to about 418 if I remember right, I measured it several times, which was lower the the garbage 24in suspension fork we removed. But generally, I'd be shooting for something in the 410 - 420mm range in your case. And like I said mech disc brakes are cheap and require almost zero modification to use for the front end.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks. Good to know about how to gauge the proper drop. I found a Mosso (aluminum) fork for a 26" bike with 420mm, I suppose that would work if I went the disc route. It has bosses too but they must be in the wrong place for 24".

I also found an Identiti Rebate Jump Fork (cro-moly) also for a 26" with a 425mm axle to crown. I can buy adapters for rim brakes specifically for this fork. But it is a little tall.

I'll keep looking but I gather it's a fair amount of work to find exactly what I'm after. I'll also have to think about how much I want to "frankenstein" the bike. I was kind of hoping parts like this would be more widely available but I am new to this.

Thank you for helping!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My son's 24" has a Beiou (Chinese) carbon fork. It is a 26" fork, but A2C is 415mm, so it worked perfectly.

It is a disc-brake fork, but I think disc is a great upgrade. If the current levers are short-throw a road disc caliper will be compatible with the cable pull. I started my son with some old TRP Spyres and BMX levers. But he switched to hydro when a set came up used locally; hydro is *so* much nicer for little hands.

I guess disc means needing a new wheel, though, which certainly would increase costs. Novatec hubs can usually be found pretty inexpensive in QR-only models (e.g. BDOP selling the D711SB for $30, I believe).

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    And like I said mech disc brakes are cheap and require almost zero modification to use for the front end.
    I'm not sure you caught that the OP is asking about *24"* wheels.

24" disc wheels aren't very prolific. Or maybe you know of a good source at reasonable prices. I couldn't find anything on eBay at the moment.

Otherwise the OP has to source a hub, rim, calculate spokes and then source them, add the building and you're in maybe $100 for the wheel alone if you're fugue.

Add to that the BB-7, new cables + the fork the OP is asking about and this gets maybe outside the OP's budget for this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyreno View Post
    I'll also have to think about how much I want to "frankenstein" the bike. I was kind of hoping parts like this would be more widely available but I am new to this.
    One thing I'd consider is a 26-24'er (?64'er?) much like some folks are building 96'ers (or is it 69'ers) putting a 700c front wheel + fork on an older 26" wheel frame.

You might even be able to source parts for free from friends who still have a random 26" front disc wheel laying around along with an older short-travel 26" disc fork.

If my daughter had stayed in the 24" wheel sized bikes for long I was considering either doing the 64'er route, or buying the smallest 26" wheel MTB and biting the bullet and building up some decent 24" disc wheels for it to use at first (along with short crank).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My son is actually doing that now: running a "64". The 415mm a2c was great for 24" "suspension-corrected" fork, but obviously also works with 26" wheel. I think this has been a net improvement for easier roll-over, but I would mention that toe-overlap/clearance is pretty tight. It works, but depending on bike geometry, you could have issues.