Which 24" FS for my Son- Mtbr.com
    Royalston Mass

Which 24" FS for my Son

I just sold my Son's 20" Spawn Rokkusuta because he had outgrown it. I'm now in the market for a 24: bike and trying to decide between these 3
    Spawn Rokk 24"
    Commencal Clash 24"
    Propain Yuma 24"

I'm leaning toward the Propain because it's the lightest and is the least expensive but I'm not sure about getting it shipped to the US. Anybody have experience getting a Propain to the US?
    I like the fact that I can upgrade the wheel size of the Spawn and Propain when he grows.
    The component specs look pretty even with all three bikes.
    I have plenty of time to decide....we have snow on the ground.
    Any other bikes I'm missing?
    Don't argue with idiots...they will take you down to their level and beat you with experience

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Which 24" FS for my Son

I think I just got your old bike.

Anyway..Norco and Kona upgraded their 24Ē bikes this year. The Rocky Mountain Reaper seems to be in the same class of bikes too.

This company has a lighter weight 24Ē frame with good travel.

https://slaterbike.bigcartel.com/pro...bster-dh-frame

I think Propain is supposed to start US distribution in 2020.

Royalston Mass
    sweet! I'm sure your son will love it.
    I had not considered the Norco, as I had researched it before I bought the 20" but it does look pretty good with the updates. I'm not a fan of the Kona and the RM is too "Cross Country" for the boy...he fancies himself as a park rat.
    There need to be a kids bike shoot out this spring!
    Don't argue with idiots...they will take you down to their level and beat you with experience

mtbr member
    My 8 years old use a Marin Hawk jr 24" which accept also 26 wheels, amazing option. My 13 years old has a Hightower LT M
    SC Megatower, SC Hightower LT(sold) , SC Tallboy 3(sold), Scott Genius, Commencal Meta HT

~~~~~~~~
    Ripcord
    Trailcraft

Our boy is on a Supreme DH 24. Park Rat, no air or gnar, no ride. He had a 20" supreme dh also and rode the 20 Rokkusuta and Norco at Whistler. Our riding at home he has to get up the hill, doubt if a lighter bike would make much difference. Actually don't mind the heavy bike keeping him lower to the ground when he jumps.

If I were to buy something from the current offerings it would be the Rokk. I have a small kid though and the supreme dh is a better fit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hey man, you are looking at some nice bikes. We have one of these on your list but dumped cash into it to fix the spec (for good reason). I've seen plenty of kids shred, SERIOUSLY shred, on less than ideal 24" bikes so take the details with that in mind. A talented kid can shred nearly anything going down it seems. Regardless, things have improved a lot so we finally have some suspension and modern geo choices that have truly moved kids bikes into the realm of adult bikes. No bike is perfect tho.

1- Geo is king
    2- Suspension is a close second
    3- Rotational weight (Wheels and Tires) is a balance but important

We tried to get a bike that really nailed both of those with the fewest compromises and work from there.

The best 24" FS bike (value and performance in mind) you can get out of the box is the upper level build of the new Norco Fluid 1 for 2500$. The lower level build is missing out out on critical stuff (more on that below). Really nice bike and everything on it is pretty dang nice stuff, near adult level quality (better in some regards).

1- Rokk - I had high hopes for this bike but the geo is really wonky. Especially the rear end. Its freaky long. Longer than many XL 29ers. The Rear end in 26" mode is about as long as a Pole's. Kids already can struggle manualing a bike and other critical stuff that they need to learn. Too many other brands don't have this issue. Suspension is decent but not the top end and the bike isn't cheap. After shipping (norco can be had at LBS) it's the same price as Fluid and doesn't have a dropper either.

2- Clash 24" - We bought this bike. The geo and suspension are a notch above the rest with no compromises. BUT the spec kind of sucks, particularly in the wheels. We were game to drop the 450$ for a second ultralight, custom Stans Crest wheelset (stock is solid for DH Parks). But now you are getting spendy. The brakes function but kind of suck too. So its hard to recommend going with this bike with that Norco out there (Norco wasn't released for us last year). Don't get me wrong, now that its custom 26-27lbs...its ultra sick, but we had to spend 3k$ total to get it there. That's XT brakes, Stans, X01 11sp 10-42 cassette, XT drive drive, 140mm cranks, KS Lev Integra etc. I have a couple of kids but yeah...that Norco out of the box for 2500$ is a super value. My 7yro can do lighter black diamond climbs really well on it too btw and nails every single small side hit on the trail. The bike has worked out beautifully as an AllMtn rig that goes up easily as well as the 10 million ripcords in town. Something about light kids on short bikes just works with the travel.

3- Propain Yuma - this bike is nice but the geo and suspension aren't ideal. Frame isn't very light. Cranks are still wrong. Nice bike for its time and really nice that they went with GX drive train, but there are better bikes out there now with fewer compromises (kids suspension instead of adult). Who knows when USA shipping will happen, hopefully May but who knows.

4- Norco Fluid 24 - this is such a good value. The only small complaints I have are:
    - that the backend is a touch long but not bad
    - the rear shock spec skipped the SUPERB Kids version of the Manitou McLeod Nino (this is an insanely nicely tuned shock...I know guys that like it better than their DPX2 on the adult version). The Fox will be nice...I'm not sure if its tuned for a 60-70 kid or not (not just a normal "Light rider tune" aka Ladies tune.
    - Cranks are still too long (like most other bikes) and heavt - roughly a 100$ to swap for prevelo 140mm cranks and an XT BB.

The list of good stuff on the Norco is so long:
    - The highend wheels are really nice (not ultralight but designed to handle anything).
    - Tires are great DHR2/DHF.
    - Dropper is nice (lever too).
    - Bars and grips are real nice
    - Shimano brakes are a nice brake too...tho they don't have the short levers like Deore/XT's
    - The 24" fork is wild nice. Its like an 800$ fork. The nicest damper and air spring that Manitou makes with a REAL kids specific tune. Reminds me of a Pike with Debonair and small stantions.

So you might be thinking of just skipping the nice level 1 build and going with the level 2. I've spent time with the level 2 bike and its not as great as I thought it would be. The tires and wheels are far from great, decent downgrade. The brakes suck. Dropper is still nice tho. Its down to a 10sp (tho nice range still). Shock is ok. That being said, the most critical downgrade is that the level 2 forks TS Air spring isn't anywhere near as nice as the dual chamber on (level 1 has the full blown Ex pert Airspring). It super noticeable...night and day difference, especially at low air pressure kids run (30psi). That fork is crazy nice but the single chamber air spring (TS Air) gimps the whole thing in my opinion. If I ranked them 1-being crappy and 10- being awesome....I'd say something like the stock ripcord fork is a 3...the Manitou Junit with expert air (dual chamber spring) is an 11....and the Manitou Junit with TS spring is a 7. Its better than the older stuff but a big downgrade.

Just my experience, yours might be difference but we do get to mess with a LOT of kids bikes being in mtb town with a few kids MTB teams. My kids are decent riders but far from the best. Moving up a nice FS 24" did instantly put my oldest on mellow black freelines that he was skipping on his Spawn hardtail. He was 7yro, 60lbs and 51" by the time he was on the 24"...he could have jumped on it a bit earlier but the bike wasn't out yet.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    IMVHO, "out of the box" nothing comes close to the Norco Fluid FS 1.

Propain told me in April 2018 they were going to have US distribution by that fall. I would not count on being able to get one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    For the OP -- we have the clash and it rules as svinyard says. Yes, it takes upgrades to make it reeeeally nice. I've seen the new norco in the flesh and it looks super nice too. Honestly, I'd go with ones of those.

Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post

2- Clash 24" - We bought this bike. The geo and suspension are a notch above the rest with no compromises. BUT the spec kind of sucks, particularly in the wheels. We were game to drop the 450$ for a second ultralight, custom Stans Crest wheelset (stock is solid for DH Parks). But now you are getting spendy. The brakes function but kind of suck too. So its hard to recommend going with this bike with that Norco out there (Norco wasn't released for us last year). Don't get me wrong, now that its custom 26-27lbs...its ultra sick, but we had to spend 3k$ total to get it there. That's XT brakes, Stans, X01 11sp 10-42 cassette, XT drive drive, 140mm cranks, KS Lev Integra etc. I have a couple of kids but yeah...that Norco out of the box for 2500$ is a super value. My 7yro can do lighter black diamond climbs really well on it too btw and nails every single small side hit on the trail. The bike has worked out beautifully as an AllMtn rig that goes up easily as well as the 10 million ripcords in town. Something about light kids on short bikes just works with the travel.
    So you put that prevelo crankset on the commencal clash without problems? Just used an XT BB and that's it? I figure that's a good weight savings c/w the X1.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by heet View Post
    For the OP -- we have the clash and it rules as svinyard says. Yes, it takes upgrades to make it reeeeally nice. I've seen the new norco in the flesh and it looks super nice too. Honestly, I'd go with ones of those.

So you put that prevelo crankset on the commencal clash without problems? Just used an XT BB and that's it? I figure that's a good weight savings c/w the X1.
    Hey man, yeah that Prevelo stuff is super nice. Its pretty much the same as the trail craft with same 30t chainring too. They all use a Shimano BB of appropriate size (we got for like 19$). The 140mm cranks have been excellent and did cut some weight as well, about 100g.

When putting the cranks on, we learned a couple of things:

1- We had to call Prevelo for the cranks. 86$ shipped. They are very cool people over there. Very Trailcraft-esk in that you can just get ahold of some cool dude and chat.

2- Getting the stock cranks off was REAL hard. A big breaker bar was needed to loosen them iirc.

3- When installing the BB, don't use any spacers (had to remove the BB to fix this).

4- The 30t chainring along with 10-42t cassette has been awesome. I thought perhaps there would be times when we wanted a 28t but that's not the case at all...he would be going SO slow at that point with the little wheels. He def uses the 10t cassette at times too on bigger jump run-ins where I don't have to pedal for the speed (29er) but he does.

The chainline looks good to me and it shifts excellent until my kid bangs his derailleur on something. I think the chain line might be better than the stock crank setup, but I'm not an expert on the topic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    1- We had to call Prevelo for the cranks. 86$ shipped. They are very cool people over there. Very Trailcraft-esk in that you can just get ahold of some cool dude and chat.
    You got a good deal at 86$ shipped! They quoted me 119$ plus shipping... itís still cheaper than Trailcraft, which sells the 140mm crank for 160$.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ghabe View Post
    You got a good deal at 86$ shipped! They quoted me 119$ plus shipping... itís still cheaper than Trailcraft, which sells the 140mm crank for 160$.
    Fwiw I think the TrailCraft package comes with the BB too (20$ value approx).

Is Prevelo giving you a BB for 120?

Moderator Moderator
    Fwiw I think the TrailCraft package comes with the BB too (20$ value approx).
    If reducing bike weight is important, Trailcraft uses an ALUMINUM spindle, which will be quite a bit lighter than the steel one Prevelo uses.
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    We just moved off the 24 onto adult XS .... (or finally sold the 24)
    We didn't have the same choice when we jumped in but ...

The old Norco 24 rear suspension (we had 2015) was (for 100mm) VERY GOOD.... no compromise on the shock as the frame was made for the tune and kids weights... ultimately it's only 100mm but it actually works really well... (so I would expect the new models will) - negative was is finding spare parts should it get damaged!

Everything else was changed .... stock wheels were OK for messing about but otherwise every component was swapped

The propain is pretty capable... he has friends ride them and one gets free frames (so parts are all custom) and the other swapped the forks after a while (and is running Pike's now which work well/OK with kids weights) We run Pikes on Jnr's adult murdered out at 160mm but he's starting to need more travel... he might get my Fox36's with the MRP neg air ???

Overall though as Svinyard say's kids will shred on anything...
    Also if they can't manual well before the 24" then chainstay's are important. If they can manual well already then they will doubtless persevere and adjust.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I got my 7yo daughter the Spawn Rokk 24 and she loves the bike. Good on the downhills and she is able to climb it surprisingly well.

Royalston Mass
    Thanks a ton, @svinyard Super useful information. I'm leaning towards the Commencal because I can use PayPal credit and then use my cash for some upgrades. I have an extra dropper post too. I looked at the specs and it looks like the fork is the same on the Norco and Commencal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    "because I can use PayPal credit and then use my cash for some upgrades"

They are both great bikes (as are some others) ... but saving some cash for upgrades and repairs would be a good move IMHO.
    Some stuff you just won't work out until he's riding it.

Royalston Mass
    Now YT has thrown its hat into the game!
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/yt-rel...-for-kids.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertleman View Post
    Now YT has thrown its hat into the game!
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/yt-rel...-for-kids.html
    And this is the king of kids 24" bikes at the moment, hands down. Duroc wheels, full Manitou kids Fork AND shock. Dialed geo. (Reach seems a bit long...but maybe that's good?). 27.8lbs with Maxxis DHR2's. You aren't getting anything close to that for 1899$. Norco's bike for that price is a big step down in spec. You'd have to go to the 2500$ version to get this (tho for 2500$ you do get a dropper).

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    And this is the king of kids 24" bikes at the moment, hands down. Duroc wheels, full Manitou kids Fork AND shock. Dialed geo. (Reach seems a bit long...but maybe that's good?). 27.8lbs with Maxxis DHR2's. You aren't getting anything close to that for 1899$. Norco's bike for that price is a big step down in spec. You'd have to go to the 2500$ version to get this (tho for 2500$ you do get a dropper).
    Not all perfect...
    Crankset
    SRAM X1 Eagle
    165 mm | 30 T | DUB

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTucker View Post
    Not all perfect...
    I know but nothing has the right cranks but hell for 1899$ you've got an extra 100-120$

mtbr member
    May 2011
    And this is the king of kids 24" bikes at the moment, hands down. Duroc wheels, full Manitou kids Fork AND shock. Dialed geo.
    For more DH style riding, right? 130mm travel, almost 28 pounds, 800 gram tires, 66 degree head tube angle is pretty slack. Not sure my thin 55 pounder would make it very long trail riding with me on a bike like this!

g=9.764m/s2
    Yea, FS likely ainít the right choice yet due to weight, check out Nukeproof Cub Scout HT at ~25lb and $1k or less.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    For more DH style riding, right? 130mm travel, almost 28 pounds, 800 gram tires, 66 degree head tube angle is pretty slack. Not sure my thin 55 pounder would make it very long trail riding with me on a bike like this!
    Yeah I meant to say FS bikes. You'd be surprised what a kid can do on a well dialed FS tho with light wheels .

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I know but nothing has the right cranks but hell for 1899$ you've got an extra 100-120$
    Except they could have put SRAM 155mm ... still too long but at least a nod in the direction.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Have you considered the Rocky Mountain Reaper 24? My son rode one for a few seasons and itís designed to also put 26Ē wheels on it when he grows a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk