24"+ advice/feedback requested- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

24"+ advice/feedback requested

I am going to be purchasing a 24+ for our 7 soon to be 8 year old to replace his prior bike. He is 53" tall. I am looking at Cannondale Cujo, Trek Roscoe 24+, Specialized Fatboy 24 and Salsa Timberjack 24+.

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.

turtles make me hot
    What's to say? I wish they made the 20 and 24 inch plus bikes when my son was small.

Do any of those bikes come with tubeless ready rims? That's what I'd be looking for.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Why plus? Too heavy for a little one...do some reading here. You'd be far better served by a lightweight XC bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I wouldn't go plus for kids bikes -- heavy without much benefit. I rec'd light xc style for trail riding (trailcraft) or full enduro style for trail and shuttle/lift (commencal).

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If you're riding more XC riding and don't need a super aggressive tread, CST Fringe 2.8" (actual more like 2.55") is lighter than most kids tires aside from Spawn's Brood line. For reference, those come stock on the Trek Roscoe.

The Timberjack has WTB tubeless rims (but doesn't come stock with tubeless ready tires). Note that these were made specifically for Salsa and you can't buy them on their own.

Doing a teardown on our 20" Cannondale Cujo, the wide rims were actually pretty light -- stuff like the seatpost, cheap hubs & bottom bracket were the primary culprits that made it heavy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The reason I was going to go plus was because it seems a better solution to provide compliance when compared to a fork. We live in PA now where the majority of our trails are laiden with roots and rocks. Even beginner trails are covered with continuous speed bumps.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by TN29'er View Post
    The reason I was going to go plus was because it seems a better solution to provide compliance when compared to a fork. We live in PA now where the majority of our trails are laiden with roots and rocks. Even beginner trails are covered with continuous speed bumps.
    I'm on Long Island so some of our trails are very sandy, so that is why I'm a fan of the Plus. One place, there was a very sandy incline that would stop my son dead on his Gary Fisher Precaliber. The tires were just too skinny. When he was big enough to ride his first small framed fat bike with 3.8" tires, he killed it. He was SO excited.
    I think Scott makes a decent one also.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Scratch the Scott. I think I like the Salsa the best based on the rims and tires.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Plus bikes died a quick death for a valid reason.

Don't do it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TN29'er View Post
    The reason I was going to go plus was because it seems a better solution to provide compliance when compared to a fork.
    I found this to be true when my son was young.

I'm still enjoying my plus bike just fine too.
    I've liked meaty, high volume tires for ages, don't really give damn what's trendy this month.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So speaking from a convert... my fat bike is probably my favorite bike. I've also had a FS 27.5+ and now a Full Stache. Basically, I love the chunky tires. I was leaning that way for my son 2 years ago and honestly was all set on picking up a Riprock. I mean look at them! They just look freakin' cool! That alone goes a long way with getting kids wanting to ride. It just so happened that Trailcraft was doing a "Special build" after Christmas deal, and I spent a little more and went that route. We've now moved up to a 26" that I put together with a disc ready frame and a bunch of Trailcraft & Shimano parts and looking back I wouldn't go any other way. Seeing what my son can do with a lightweight bike, even WITH the skinny tires... I'm telling you the weight would've stunted his mtb growth. It's just so much to push... especially at 4' 5". Out of that list, I'd be looking at the Trek or maybe the Riprock... not the Fatboy. Anyway, I apologize for coming back with something contrary... just wanted to share a little about our journey & mindset. Now 3 years on, at age 11 he rides with the expert group from our local club, including a couple of state champs.

To your point, most of the trails in our area are rooty but one has more rocks than most. That's probably the only one I've heard him complain about... and that's WITH his SID fork up front. Plus tires would help, but it wouldn't be enough. Stick with something more XC, bend the arms & legs to sock up some of the chunder and drop the PSI a tad. At present we're looking at full suspension options for the next evolution of trail, but he'll still be running his 26" hardtail for the upcoming race season.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Got my daughter the Haro 24+ , rigid Bike on 2.6 tires , hydro brakes, 1x8 and a few other good things. Highly recommend, only issue is the crank length needs to be a bit shorter.