24” tire recommendations and sources?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 45 of 45
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    650

    24” tire recommendations and sources?

    I am building up a 24” full suspension all mountain rig for my son. I have one decent 24” tire from one of the euro sites that i bought a couple years ago (cant recall the brand but its 2.5” and labeled for back). Anything domestic i can pick up quickly? Using a 26” fork up front so no worries on clearance (the 2.5 i have fit the fork just fine). What are some options and where can i get one relatively quickly?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,728
    Best I've seen are Spawn Maxtion 24 2.3 in. They have legit side knobs and are only 540g for a 24". Crown Vee Gem is a less aggressive and cheaper option that looks nice.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    60

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    87
    Vee Crown Gem 24X2.25. You can find them all day on ebay.

    clint

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    937
    schwalbe do the hans dampf in 24x2 35. Got them on my son's NSclash JR build.

    -p5pb16641711.jpg

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    650
    Quote Originally Posted by POAH View Post
    schwalbe do the hans dampf in 24x2 35. Got them on my son's NSclash JR build.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb16641711.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	369.5 KB 
ID:	1247300
    Thanks, I ordered one of those. I already have a Schwalbe Fat Albert 24x2.4 from bike 24 for the rear. This will be excellent on the front and in stock at Amazon with 2 day delivery.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,013
    Quote Originally Posted by backinmysaddle View Post
    Thanks, I ordered one of those. I already have a Schwalbe Fat Albert 24x2.4 from bike 24 for the rear. This will be excellent on the front and in stock at Amazon with 2 day delivery.
    Once you get them mounted, I would have a look if you want to keep them that way. In general Fat Albert is more aggressive than Hans dampf, so you might want to switch.
    Just have a look at the tread pattern and see which one looks fast rolling and which looks to offer better cornering.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    650
    I actually could get away with the Fat Albert on both front and back, but thanks for teh suggestion, after fiddling around with them I think I will put the Fat Albert on the front and the slightly lower profile Hans Dampf on the rear. The HD arrived today, looks great.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    201
    I just put Rocket Rons on my sons bike. I like the aggressive quality of the Hand Dampfs. What is the weight?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    650
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPenquinn View Post
    I just put Rocket Rons on my sons bike. I like the aggressive quality of the Hand Dampfs. What is the weight?
    I see 770g listed online for the HD and cannot find my scale to confirm. https://www.schwalbetires.com/Hans_Dampf_491

    My daughter’s old 24” bike has an RR on the back and it is nearly 10mm narrower on a similar rim to what i have the HD mounted on. The RR looks demure next to the HD, even smaller next to the fat albert. If the bike is for true trail riding and can fit the larger tire, I’d move to the HD regardless of increased weight over the RR.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,784
    Throwing some differing opinion into this, I've got the 2.1 Rocket Rons on my son's ride. While they're a little more anemic than I would have liked size wise, they aren't under gunned rires by any means. Getting the pressure has been the trick for these. He runs them at 13/13.5 psi. They haven't held him back in ANY regard, on any trail.

    The Vee Crown Gem is a similar pattern with a better looking foot print, just heavier, but also cheaper.

    I'm of the opposite opinion on the Fat Albert/Hans Damf etc. I think that for the actual riding that is being done on the majority of the bikes that they're going on, they're just a penalty of weight.

    It would be nice if Schwalbe/Maxxis would put out a lighter weight all around knobbed tire that had a decent carcass width. My son would certainly use them.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    201
    I see Maxxis has a 24” version of the Rekon. Would that be an intermediate choice?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,784
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPenquinn View Post
    I see Maxxis has a 24” version of the Rekon. Would that be an intermediate choice?
    It certainly might. One of those things where getting a set and seeing what they look like width wise, and also ride like in the flesh would be good. I'm wondering how lomg they've been out? Been a long winter on snow and just coming back to wrapping the old noggin around bikes again. Good to see at least a couple new things in the smaller dude/dudette department.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,784
    Kinda wishing Maxxis did an Ikon for the 24". 2.3 or so.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by backinmysaddle View Post
    I see 770g listed online for the HD and cannot find my scale to confirm. https://www.schwalbetires.com/Hans_Dampf_491

    My daughter’s old 24” bike has an RR on the back and it is nearly 10mm narrower on a similar rim to what i have the HD mounted on. The RR looks demure next to the HD, even smaller next to the fat albert. If the bike is for true trail riding and can fit the larger tire, I’d move to the HD regardless of increased weight over the RR.
    We had a Hans Dampf on my daughters bike (up front) for a full ride before pulling it off. Great tread, but it was massive and soul sucking for climbing. 800 grams as I recall. Great gravity tire, but stay away if you anticipate using it for xc types of rides. She noticed and complained about the weight just climbing up the street on pavement. It was 365 grams heavier than the Rocket Ron which it replaced. We ended up with a Vee Crown gem which is 620g. Still a bit heavier, but faster rolling and almost as wide as the Hans.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,784
    Yeah, that is not an all around tire by any means. I'm looking forward to getting my son on 26" wheels for the slightly better tire options. However, the frame outlook is about as dire as the 24" one. Seriously looking at building one.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,798
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPenquinn View Post
    I see Maxxis has a 24” version of the Rekon. Would that be an intermediate choice?
    I'd like to see this tire myself.

    When my girl rides, even the RR has pretty darn good traction. Something to do with how light they are I guess. She throws that bike in to gravel filled turns at speeds that make me nervous and just goes right thru them.
    I could see the front rolling off of loose rocks pretty often so upgraded the front to a Spawn tire. She could tell no difference but I can see the front tire slip less over loose rocks.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtgypsy View Post
    Vee Crown Gem 24X2.25. You can find them all day on ebay.

    clint
    People must have seen your recommendation as the're sold out on ebay and backordered everywhere else. anyone tried the 24x2.6 variety? wondering if they're really that wide

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    375
    The Rekon 24" looks like a darn good all-rounder option. Fast rolling, pretty light. I can't seem to find any for sale though. I'm happy with the stock Spawn tires. Very durable, good traction. But not ideal on the sandy hard pack around here.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,728
    Quote Originally Posted by SactoGeoff View Post
    The Rekon 24" looks like a darn good all-rounder option. Fast rolling, pretty light. I can't seem to find any for sale though. I'm happy with the stock Spawn tires. Very durable, good traction. But not ideal on the sandy hard pack around here.
    What happens on the sandy hardpack with those tires? We don't have much of that. Maxtions have served us really well on everything else it seems but the Rekon is interesting. They weight is on par. Do you think the smaller knobs on the Rekon will work better? I wish it was a 2.3 vs 2.2

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    375
    Yes I think the Rekon is likely a faster rolling tire. The saving grace of the Maxtions on hard pack is their soft compound & volume. The tread pattern really isn't an advantage IMHO. For hard pack (with dust and sand on top) something like the Rekon and around here, the IKON reigns supreme. But the minute we get outside the low level hard pack trails and into anything remotely "loamy" those Maxtions are awesome. Good with mud too.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,784
    The Ikon is my all around tire. 2.35 rules. One of the reasons I'm glad my son is around the corner from a 26 is that tire will be available to him. I told him that and he got a big smile on his face.

    Maxxis really should have done a 24x2.35 Ikon. I'm sure they will... by the time my guy is on a 27.5

    Be nice if Trek did an XR2 for the smaller guys as well.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    330
    Has anyone tried the Specialized Renegade Sport 24x2.1?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,784
    That was a micro tread tire and when it was the original 2.3 it was amazing. I used that 29x2.3 S-works tire in Rocky and rooty conditions and it just never ceased to amaze me.

    But when they changed the tires a couple years ago, the 'increased sizes' where actually smaller. Not to mention they dropped the TPI to 60 or something ridiculous like that.

    I'd figure on the 24x2.1 being more like a small 2.0 or a big 1.9. Plus, most folks in this forum aren't going to like the tread pattern.

    I pretty much dropped Spesh off my list when they made that change, and haven't looked at them since, so may they have gotten a little better again? I don't know. But I'm doubtful.

    Edit...good God, it weighs 720 for a 24x2.1. Face palm. It's a shame on it's weight, 30 tpi and it's most likely anemic size. The newer tread pattern did look promising.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    402
    Rocket Rons work great for my son. He's 5 and weighs 46lbs, but rides very steep, rocky terrain. Even though it's a relatively slim, and light tire, it has such a light rider that he can run low double-digit pressure and not ding rims or damage the tire (which is lower than I can run riding the same trails on 27.5x2.6 rubber). I'd do the Spawn tires or similar for lift access stuff, but if they've got to pedal up and down and are on the light weight size I'd stick with a light weight tire. 700+ grams is a ton of weight for a kid to spin up.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,784
    Zactly. My guys runs them (24x2.1) at 12.5f/13r - 13f/13.5r this year. Wish they had some more ass to them, but they're the best tire option for our riding right now. That tire with a couple tenths more volume would be just stupid good.

    I generally watch his tires as we ride to adjust pressure. If they start folding at all in his turns, I add a half pound at a time. If they show any reboundy bounce, I drop a half a time.

  27. #27
    ~~~~~~~~
    Reputation: airwreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,904
    This is the best photo I've seen of the Flow Snap, from sdg instagram. Looks like 20's but I find them more appealing now.
    -screenshot_2019-04-29-instagram.jpg

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,728
    Quote Originally Posted by BikePilot1 View Post
    Rocket Rons work great for my son. He's 5 and weighs 46lbs, but rides very steep, rocky terrain. Even though it's a relatively slim, and light tire, it has such a light rider that he can run low double-digit pressure and not ding rims or damage the tire (which is lower than I can run riding the same trails on 27.5x2.6 rubber). I'd do the Spawn tires or similar for lift access stuff, but if they've got to pedal up and down and are on the light weight size I'd stick with a light weight tire. 700+ grams is a ton of weight for a kid to spin up.
    The Maxtions lighter casing is only 560g (not bad) but not enough for DH stuff in our experience. It'll get slashed in the rocky stuff. Their DH casing or a DHF/Hans Damf etc is probably the way to go. I definitely do like the Maxtions for trail riding uphill and everything else so far, especially on a wider rim. The profile is pretty badass. The extra volume of the 2.3" will be nice. For 560g with meaty tread it seems reasonable for something ridden hard.

    I just looked at that Flow Snap 24" 2.4. Its 810g for the trail version and 990g for the Gravity version. Heavy stuff. Those tan sidewalls are beauty's tho!

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    402
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    The Maxtions lighter casing is only 560g (not bad) but not enough for DH stuff in our experience. It'll get slashed in the rocky stuff. Their DH casing or a DHF/Hans Damf etc is probably the way to go. I definitely do like the Maxtions for trail riding uphill and everything else so far, especially on a wider rim. The profile is pretty badass. The extra volume of the 2.3" will be nice. For 560g with meaty tread it seems reasonable for something ridden hard.

    I just looked at that Flow Snap 24" 2.4. Its 810g for the trail version and 990g for the Gravity version. Heavy stuff.
    The Maxtions seem like a great tire, but that's still way heavier than a rocket ron (their stated weight is 410, though I've weighed some that were as high as 460g). For bigger/heavier kids or bike parks I think that'd be just the ticket. A half pound of rotational mass is a ton for a little kid. Whenever my little guy is big and fast enough to outride the capabilities of the Ron I think we'll switch to the Maxtion. For now the Ron suits him really well. A 16lbs bike with a 46lbs kid on it just doesn't stress a tire like an adult or even big kid on a gravity bike would.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,728
    Quote Originally Posted by BikePilot1 View Post
    The Maxtions seem like a great tire, but that's still way heavier than a rocket ron (their stated weight is 410, though I've weighed some that were as high as 460g). For bigger/heavier kids or bike parks I think that'd be just the ticket. A half pound of rotational mass is a ton for a little kid. Whenever my little guy is big and fast enough to outride the capabilities of the Ron I think we'll switch to the Maxtion. For now the Ron suits him really well. A 16lbs bike with a 46lbs kid on it just doesn't stress a tire like an adult or even big kid on a gravity bike would.
    Yeah agreed, seems like the RR seem like a sweet all-arounder! Rotational weight is no joke if you are climbing a lot. As the kid rips harder, you could even just run a Maxtion in the front Its basically a mini-DHF knockoff with a light casing/soft compound in a higher volume 2.3 width. Maybe that's the best of both worlds and only 100g-150g extra?

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    402
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Yeah agreed, seems like the RR seem like a sweet all-arounder! Rotational weight is no joke if you are climbing a lot. As the kid rips harder, you could even just run a Maxtion in the front Its basically a mini-DHF knockoff with a light casing/soft compound in a higher volume 2.3 width. Maybe that's the best of both worlds and only 100g-150g extra?
    That makes a ton of sense and is likely the route we'll end up going eventually. Our local trail by our house has a ton of elevation change, so we are probably more weight sensitive than most. Base of the trail is around 5,700' and top is around 7,500'.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    634
    Bump.

    Give me a reason not go DHF 3C/EXO for the "trail" wheelset on my son's Clash. DH Maxtions are out of stock, non-DH Maxtions aren't an option for durability reasons. Nothing seems to exist that's somewhat comparably durable/aggressive and lighter.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,728
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    Bump.

    Give me a reason not go DHF 3C/EXO for the "trail" wheelset on my son's Clash. DH Maxtions are out of stock, non-DH Maxtions aren't an option for durability reasons. Nothing seems to exist that's somewhat comparably durable/aggressive and lighter.
    I'm not in love with the tire but a Rekon 2.2 24" EXO is available at 537g. It's smaller and prob doesn't have the side knobs you'd want but maybe the casing is tough enough? What kind of climbs are you guys doing these days?

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    634
    With no EXO option my gut tells me I'd be better off with a non-DH Maxtion. Also, while in the catalog, it doesn't actually seem to be for sale anywhere including Maxxis' D2C site.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,728
    Ahhh I thought it was an Exo

  36. #36
    Frame Building Moderator
    Reputation: Walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,489
    My son likes the Kenda Slant 6. It's officially a 2.6" tire but measures out around 60mm (on a Crest) so really more like 2.3.5 or 2.4. Still reasonably good volume and small/fast rolling knobs.

    There is supposedly a kevlar bead version, but I've never seen it for sale, so he's on a wire bead tire. I think they hover around 700g, so not particularly light, but he likes predictability and traction (and can ride uphill for days) so it hasn't been an issue for us.

    I did have to outrageously void the warranty on his RST First Air by machining the arch to fit the tire, though.

    Here's a quick picture of the bike.

    -bean.jpg

    -Walt

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,728
    Wow... Did you make that Walt? Looks pretty cool

  38. #38
    Frame Building Moderator
    Reputation: Walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,489
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Wow... Did you make that Walt? Looks pretty cool
    Yes, of course. Can't have my kid riding around on a mass market bike!

    I can only imagine what the transition from 20" to 24" feels like to him, but from my perspective, he's now able to ride almost anything an adult can suddenly. Fun times.

    -Walt

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    650
    My 8 year old son has a few weeks on his 24” Hans dampf on rear and Fat albert on the front. Most rides around here are non shuttle-able, so if you want to do a 2k downhill trail, you have to ride up 2k.

    While I am sure a smaller profile and lighter weight tire like the RR woukd make the climb easier, he cranks up the steeps fine. He has 28x42 gearing which i suspect helps.

    For the downhill, the wide aggressive profile of these tires really rock. From tracking up steep berms to landing jumps in loose dirt/rocks, it seemed like he was super stable in a way he never had been on a number of smaller tires.

    I have some RRs so i might swap them and see how he climbs/descends with them on the same trails.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,728
    Quote Originally Posted by backinmysaddle View Post
    My 8 year old son has a few weeks on his 24” Hans dampf on rear and Fat albert on the front. Most rides around here are non shuttle-able, so if you want to do a 2k downhill trail, you have to ride up 2k.

    While I am sure a smaller profile and lighter weight tire like the RR woukd make the climb easier, he cranks up the steeps fine. He has 28x42 gearing which i suspect helps.

    For the downhill, the wide aggressive profile of these tires really rock. From tracking up steep berms to landing jumps in loose dirt/rocks, it seemed like he was super stable in a way he never had been on a number of smaller tires.

    I have some RRs so i might swap them and see how he climbs/descends with them on the same trails.
    Hey how is that 28t ring so far? Would you go with that size again? We have a 10 - 42 cassette and while I have a 30t ring for the kid, I wonder about going smaller.

  41. #41
    Frame Building Moderator
    Reputation: Walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,489
    My son has a 28 ring (with 11-42 cassette) as well and loves it. Nobody likes to walk, and as annoying as it can be to crawl along at 2.5mph, it's better than walking/complaining.

    I do have to remind him NOT to be in the 28x42 all the time going uphill, as he's happy to just toodle along and chat unless you jog his memory to shift.

    -Walt

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by SactoGeoff View Post
    Yes I think the Rekon is likely a faster rolling tire. The saving grace of the Maxtions on hard pack is their soft compound & volume. The tread pattern really isn't an advantage IMHO. For hard pack (with dust and sand on top) something like the Rekon and around here, the IKON reigns supreme. But the minute we get outside the low level hard pack trails and into anything remotely "loamy" those Maxtions are awesome. Good with mud too.
    Mounted rekon 24x2.20...some trouble for tubeless conversion(not done for now)...
    If the trails dry out from heavy rain, in the next days we go for the first test.

    https://forums.mtbr.com/families-rid...r-1094051.html

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    634
    Where did you find the Rekon 24 for sale?

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    My son likes the Kenda Slant 6. It's officially a 2.6" tire but measures out around 60mm (on a Crest) so really more like 2.3.5 or 2.4. Still reasonably good volume and small/fast rolling knobs.

    There is supposedly a kevlar bead version, but I've never seen it for sale, so he's on a wire bead tire. I think they hover around 700g, so not particularly light, but he likes predictability and traction (and can ride uphill for days) so it hasn't been an issue for us.

    I did have to outrageously void the warranty on his RST First Air by machining the arch to fit the tire, though.

    Here's a quick picture of the bike.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bean.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	413.7 KB 
ID:	1251611

    -Walt
    So much awesomeness, way to go Walt. You've got skills! Not a fan of the brown Cleary saddles, but I've always thought they look way out of place even on their own bikes. Need some type of "bikepacking" bag for the triangle. You know, for snacks and stuff.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    Where did you find the Rekon 24 for sale?
    bikester website
    don't know if they ship worldwide.. they are in europe

Similar Threads

  1. Best sources for FOX DIY Suspension rebuild parts and info?
    By twobigwheels in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-14-2017, 07:57 AM
  2. Sources for bamboo and hemp fibre
    By bobbotron in forum Frame Building
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2015, 07:49 AM
  3. Carsonite Sources / Decal Recommendations
    By c0nsumer in forum Trail Building and Advocacy
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-06-2011, 04:00 PM
  4. 29er Wheelset Sources
    By JKeenan7 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-12-2011, 12:34 PM
  5. sources for yeti and Titus
    By hammarhead in forum New York - New Jersey
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-13-2008, 06:01 AM

Members who have read this thread: 7

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.