24 advice- Mtbr.com

Thread: 24 advice

mtbr member
    Dec 2019

24 advice

Hi;

I am far from being a mountain bike expert. Weve been more into dirt bikes in the past.

Looking my for some advice for my 2 boys.

Ive already determined they both need to be on 24 bikes. I want to do some beginning mountain biking - nothing extreme. We live in Utah.

I want to get them something nicer than a walmart special - but stay under $500. Im waffling between these 2...or is there something better in the price range? THANKS

https://haromtb.com/products/beasley-24-2020

https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/p...roxter-24-bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Not sure why it dropped my links....Scott roxter 24 or Haro Beasley 24

Thanks

turtles make me hot
    I like the Scott way better. You could swap out the cranks with a set from Trailcraft and get the chainring down to a more trail friendly 28 or 30.

https://earlyrider.com/products/seek...31167266160727

Here's something else. More money but real nice.
    I like turtles

poser Administrator
    I looked at a lot of bikes for my kids but one of the brands that I looked at was Vitus from Chainreaction: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod187354

They make a lot of nice bikes for the price with decent spec, hydros, kids cranks, etc.

I do kind of fear the plus tires as kids are already at a deficient when it comes to turning wheels, much less heavier ones necessitated by the fatter rims and larger tires. Still low pressure in the tires and perhaps conversion to tubeless will get them all kids of traction and some cush.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    GT Stomper Ace 24 from Dick's. They had 25% off over black friday. Often you can get 20% off and get them under $300. Has a real hub on the back so you can swap in parts bin stuff to upgrade easy. Add the Suntour air fork for $158 and you've got a winner.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Does anyone have any information on when the new Vitus kids bikes will be out? I'm hoping to put two bikes under the tree this year, but I don't see many options out there right now... I'd love to see the updated nucleus 24 (or the old one would be fine, but it's out of stock now).

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by thslug View Post
    Does anyone have any information on when the new Vitus kids bikes will be out? I'm hoping to put two bikes under the tree this year, but I don't see many options out there right now... I'd love to see the updated nucleus 24 (or the old one would be fine, but it's out of stock now).
    The Nucleus 24" is seemingly gone unless I'm mistaken. It's been out of stock for a long time and not coming back. I think they are just sticking with the plus bike, which has some drawbacks. Like Cerpss mentioned, the GT Stomper Ace 24", at a discount is a great option.

My opinion is that if you are MTB'ing with a kid, a decent hardtail with an airfork and hydraulic brakes is the ticket.

1- GT Stomper Ace 24" - (lets say 300$)
    2- Hydraulic Brakes - 60$ +-
    3- Air Fork 160$ - critical upgrade

Total: 520$ for a hardtail

Key points to that bike are that the backend isn't too long. Almost all bikes have these rediculously long backends. Its not helpful and they are close to some 29ers.

Also, the cranks are 130mm which will be great. Everything else is going to be 155mm to 165mm which I know 6ft tall guys that ride those. It sucks for kids and they are expensive to change, requiring a Bottom bracket swap as well. Its nice that the cranks will work out of the box.

So that GT Bike is a great little bike, post upgrades (the stock fork is heavy trash). If you want to spend more you can get a nice Rocky Mountain Vertex 24" Hardtail for 740$ or a Norco Charger 24". The Spawn Yama Jama 24" is a super nice bike since they updated the spec on it (shorter cranks, better fork)...around 1100$ I think. Nice bikes, but that GT with some upgrades will be great too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Good find on the GT. I may pull the trigger today... looks like it's $330 + tax. Not too bad.

I found a suntour SR air fork for $75 too.

Any advice on hydraulic brakes to look at?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    This was an unexpected find. $77.67 delivered.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SR-Suntou...lack/155462143

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    That' a good deal, but check the AC height on your fork. At 415mm it's about 10mm shorter than the AC height on my son's Trek MT220. Granted a larger tire can probably make up the difference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by thslug View Post
    Good find on the GT. I may pull the trigger today... looks like it's $330 + tax. Not too bad.

I found a suntour SR air fork for $75 too.

Any advice on hydraulic brakes to look at?
    Regarding brakes, you want something with a shorter lever ideally and a reach adjust (most have this). The cheapo tektro hydraulics, which have real long levers...ugh) will work fine (get them off ebay) but if you can swing nicer ones it's not a bad idea. The new, cheap shimano brakes are pretty nice for the price! Also some people have mentioned the Magura MT2 brakes as well as having nice levers and a great brake.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I put Tektro HD-745s on my son's bike over the summer.

The reach adjust was plenty to get the levers in close for small hands on thinner diameter JUNIT bars.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody special View Post
    That' a good deal, but check the AC height on your fork. At 415mm it's about 10mm shorter than the AC height on my son's Trek MT220. Granted a larger tire can probably make up the difference.
    Isn't the travel adjustable to 80mm?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertride View Post
    Isn't the travel adjustable to 80mm?
    It appears to be adjustable to 80mm, according to Suntours website. I did not see that on the Walmart page.