2011 Scott Spark Jr 20 Parts Bin Build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019

2011 Scott Spark Jr 20 Parts Bin Build

Last year when i picked up a used Scott Spark 940 29er for myself i found out these existed and have been looking ever since. I just picked one up this weekend and am excited to get started modding it.

Last year i got my then 5.5yr old a used GT Scamp. The build was pretty decent and one of the few 7sp bikes that i could find in a 20" tire and had a short enough reach that he could ride (barely ).

My first impression of the spark what that the frame, fork, and saddle were pretty nice but the rest was a bit of a let down for what would have been $485 8 years ago.

Phase 1 will be happening over the course of the next week and will include the following

7spd QR wheelset from his existing GT
    7spd derailleur from his existing GT
    7spd trigger shifter from his existing GT
    Shortened SRAM S600 crank setup 1x ($35 on ebay)
    nicer Shimano V brake arms (takeoffs bin from a closing LBS)
    lighter tektro brake levers from his existing GT
    New shift and brake cables and housing from parts bin
    Lock on OE specialized grips so i can experiment with bar widths easier
    31.8 cut down flat bars (takoffs from my adult spark)
    31.8 45mm stem ($10 on amazon)
    aluminum seatpost (found in parts bin)
    Not sure if im going to use the tires that came on the bike or the ones off his GT. The GT had a knobby 20x2.4 front which is heavy but gives him great rollover.

Phase 2 is going to be a bit more aggressive but i need to find parts at swap meets and/or ask around about other peoples spares bins.

I have a full 10 spd driveline (cassette, chain, derailleur, trigger shifter) but it requires a wheelset that will accept a cassette. While i am sourcing hubs i want to convert to disks. So i need to source some hydro brakes too.

I am on the fence about tubeless. It sounds weird but i like the ability to swap tire types easy since he is starting to like family races so in a (september) he would be doing a street race, a cyclocross race, and rooty muddy singletrack on our regular weekend loop.

There are a bunch of GREAT Spark Jr 20 builds out there but we dont live near any lift assist parks so this will be geared more towards the average kid rider who could use something sligthly better then stock but hopefully doesnt break the $300 mark when all said and done and give him a much better platform to just have fun on and want to keep up with the hobby years from now when he is a teenager and too cool for his had.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    2011 Scott Spark Jr 20 Parts Bin Build-20190810_111223b.jpg2011 Scott Spark Jr 20 Parts Bin Build-20190810_163504b.jpg

We didnt expect to be ridding it so please dont judge the lack of helmet. He did a couple circle in my inlaws backyard then hiked up a hill to bomb....good start to its lire in our bike fleet. He wouldve been able to ride up that hill on his GT but the gearing on the Spark isnt as low which seemed odd since it was a 2x setup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019

Old GT stripped down. I ended up pulling the cranks to get to the new BB i put on last year since it was much smoother.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Scott Spark Jr 20 Parts Bin Build-20190812_160457.jpg  

2011 Scott Spark Jr 20 Parts Bin Build-20190812_160828.jpg  

2011 Scott Spark Jr 20 Parts Bin Build-20190812_162010.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Its always surprising when you have an entire bikes worth of parts on the floor and it takes up so little space.

I had a HELL of a time getting the drive side crank arm. The threads on the arm stripped out so i spent an hour cutting into the arm and banging on it and finally got it off with a ball joint pickle fork.

I was also pretty surprised to see the Spark weighing in at 27.25 pounds with all factory components.

Assembly hopefully will happen tomorrow night.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    The patient prepped and (almost) ready. Nothing like buying a whole bike only to use the frame, fork, seat, and headset bearings...thats it.

ARG i hate how images are arbitrarily rotated, i should probably learn how to fix that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Scott Spark Jr 20 Parts Bin Build-20190813_071417.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    got it together last night but it turns out my seatpost from the bin was 27.2 not the correct 26.8. I didnt use my real calipers when i measured getting stuff together just my plastice ones. oops. so for the time being i still using the heavier stock one.

I was a little disapointed in the weight though. I have replaced every component (except the seatpost with a lighter stronger piece but was only able to get the weight down .3lbs. Either the other wheels and/or the tires must have been much heavier then the factory scott stuff.

I was very happy about the V brake setup though. I got them dialed in enough to skid with me (180lbs) and then tried the front and it wanted to toss me over the bars. Skill lesson one for me son is going to be feathering brakes instead of grabbing a fistfull but it will be good to prepare him for hydro disks.

Pics to come after i get him sized up on it tonight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019

Back together and hitting the trails tomorrow!

Also, what is going on! Every picture rotates 180 degrees!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Scott Spark Jr 20 Parts Bin Build-20190815_205952.jpg