20" bike rec $700 top limit - best options?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

20" bike rec $700 top limit - best options?

I've been looking for about 6 months and trying to decide what would be the best 20" for my son's 6th birthday in May. 3 months away and he's currently sitting at 21" inseam, 48" tall but only weights 42 pounds... He's tall and underweight and not the most confident of riders but loves being on his 14" pedal bike currently.

He's only had one bike from age 3 through 6, the 14" LittleBig and it's been amazing since day 1; balance bike through first pedal bike:
    https://www.littlebigbikes.com/

Some of the top bikes on my list right now are the
    • Spawn Raiju 20"
    • Prevelo Alpha Three 20"
    • Commencal Ramones 20"
    • Woom OFF 4 20"

He really wants a BLUE bike so that always make things harder. I am OK spending up to $700, would much rather keep it around $500 if possible. I don't think he needs suspension yet and I think a 24" would be too big for him given his confidence level.

Some of the things on my list I'm really looking for are trigger shifters, good gearing for learning to climb, good sized tires for dirt, gravel and starting to hit the trails. I think disk breaks would be great and most definitely should be included at this price point. I don't think suspension is necessary but it couldn't hurt if something worthwhile is available at this price point for the added weight.

Thoughts and ideas are appreciated! I know there are many posts on the topic but many seem to be hitting on the sub $350 range or $1k+ range. I'm looking in the $500-750 range.

Thx so much!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    this was him on his 14" this past September (5 months ago). He was 20.5" inseam and 47" tall.
    20" bike rec 0 top limit - best options?-20190922_123448.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Of that list, I'd go with the Woom OFF unless you're looking to do a lot of work (wheelbuilding in particular -- stock hubs on a lot of bikes are pretty heavy).

We did a lot of modifications on the Cannondale Cujo and wound up with a similar weight to the OFF, but didn't really spend much less overall.

While it isn't blue, there are a lot of blue accents that you could add like pedals, grips, etc.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I recently posted about one for that $350 range. If I was willing to go higher in budget, I probably would have gone with the Pello Rover or Trek Wahoo, but neither come in blue. The prevelo alpha 3 looks really good, but you'd have to change out tires--it comes with 1.5 which are too small for trails. The Woom OFF Road also looks good, if not great. Norco has a few bikes in your $700 range--the Charger 20, Storm 2.1, and even a Fluid HT+--you'll have to check on colors. There's also the Spawn Raiju 20, around $635 I think.

For what it's worth, I'm going with the Orbea MX 20 Team. They have a disc version for $530. I don't know if they have blue, though.

edited for typos

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I forgot one--the Commencal Ramones 20 looks pretty good. I was very close to getting it, but didn't like the length of the cranks (145mm) and didn't want to spend extra money replacing them. My kid is opposite yours, short and stocky, so I think shorter cranks are needed. They do have the Meta HT 20 for $800 (second hand), which looks really nice.

mtbr member
    I never ultimately got any of my kids the LBB but I did consider it very closely. I followed the owners' story even back before the warehouse fire. I'm glad to see a real world review that it's good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'll sell you my son's built up 20" Trek. It is light and fast.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    after reading the woom 4 off specs again this afternoon i noticed their minimum saddle height is 22.8". that's pretty significant for a 20" it seems. given my kids inseam ins 21" right now in socks, no shoes i am really hoping it won't be an issue.

he likes his feet to be able to touch, preferred as close to flat on the ground as he can for confidence but almost 2" is pretty significant; adding a shoe/sole is not going to be more than an inch. Anyone think that's an issue?

I asked Woom and they said i could change out the seatpost but it would only drop by another .75", which may be enough though.

Is the Woom 4 OFF the best choice out of all of these options? There are soooo many and all so closely priced it's very difficult. I showed my son the pics of the Woom last night and he was actually not against the colors at all and being locked into blue is not a deal breaker.

He's my only kid so resale value is a big plus for me... which is why I think going for the Woom is probably the best bet given the aftermarket for those is probably the highest 'well-known' actively searched for brands? Is that an accurate statement?

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jsunv View Post
    after reading the woom 4 off specs again this afternoon i noticed their minimum saddle height is 22.8". that's pretty significant for a 20" it seems. given my kids inseam ins 21" right now in socks, no shoes i am really hoping it won't be an issue.

He's my only kid so resale value is a big plus for me... which is why I think going for the Woom is probably the best bet given the aftermarket for those is probably the highest 'well-known' actively searched for brands? Is that an accurate statement?Thank you everyone for your replies.
    Yeah 22.8" is really high for a kids standover height for a 20", many 24" are about that.

Trailcraft has some rigid Blue Sky 20 bikes they are selling on sale ($799 from $999, a little higher than your budget but resale will be really solid.

https://www.trailcraftcycles.com/pro...onal-specials/

Also some other random Trailcraft bikes used for photo shoots.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2693890/

About the same weight as the Woom but much lower standover... but no blue color sadly either.
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Can you PM me the details

Quote Originally Posted by slowride454 View Post
    I'll sell you my son's built up 20" Trek. It is light and fast.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tobycat2 View Post
    For what it's worth, I'm going with the Orbea MX 20 Team. They have a disc version for $530. I don't know if they have blue, though.

edited for typos
    My son has rode his Orbea MX20 Team for about 2.5 years now. He's seven now and towers over it, but still loves it. I would definitely recommend it! It's light, super sturdy, and low-maintenance. This week we're hoping to test out his new 24" Transition Ripcord and Commencal Meta HT and see which one he likes the most. He might still prefer the old Orbea!

Shut up and ride
    The Woom Off looks awesome but looking at price and being its rigid I ruled it out. Ended up with the Ramones 20 (my kid just turned 6) - yes, also rigid but with its wider tires figured we could run them at or below 10 lbs. Just waiting for warmer / drier weather to try it out on the trails.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    The Woom Off looks awesome but looking at price and being its rigid I ruled it out. Ended up with the Ramones 20 (my kid just turned 6) - yes, also rigid but with its wider tires figured we could run them at or below 10 lbs. Just waiting for warmer / drier weather to try it out on the trails.
    How does the bike handle on the road? Also how tall is your kid? I really liked the Ramones, but the 145mm cranks turned me off--so wondering if they worked ok for yours. I didn't want anything longer than 130.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    yeah the Ramones cranks are huge at 145mm, didn't realize that. I appreciate all the replies... I think I am tossing between finalists of the Woom OFF 4 and the Spawn Raiju. I couldn't really find any sites selling the Orbea MX20 Team Disc many have mentioned... anyone have any links where they are sold in the states? The Orbea site seems like it didn't exist (sure I missed it).

Thx

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    yeah the Ramones cranks are huge at 145mm, didn't realize that. I appreciate all the replies... I think I am tossing between finalists of the Woom OFF 4 and the Spawn Raiju. I couldn't really find any sites selling the Orbea MX20 Team Disc many have mentioned... anyone have any links where they are sold in the states? The Orbea site seems like it didn't exist (sure I missed it).

Thx
    Unfortunately, it looks like they're no longer available in the US. I can only find it on their website for other countries.

Whyte has the 203 and I dig it. 67 HTA, 21 pounds, 127mm cranks, internal routing, hydraulic disc brakes, 8 speed trigger shift (better IMO than twist shift) at $599. I have one of their adult hardtails and although you don't see many of them in the US, Whyte makes some great bikes! Bonus points; it's a nice flat blue and not everyone else rides one. Mine is the same color combo and it's pretty sharp.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20" bike rec 0 top limit - best options?-203_rear_900x.jpg  

20" bike rec 0 top limit - best options?-img_4323.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011

Thx
    https://www.bikegallery.com/product/...m-348730-1.htm

Bike shop in Portland, OR. There's a shop in Denver that carries them, too, but not sure if they ship. I recently confirmed with bikegallery that they have the Orbea in stock--they had quite a few.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just got an email about a Trailcraft sale. They have a rigid Blue Sky build for $799

https://www.trailcraftcycles.com/pro...special-build/

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by stevelim View Post
    Just got an email about a Trailcraft sale. They have a rigid Blue Sky build for $799

https://www.trailcraftcycles.com/pro...special-build/
    You know what's ridiculous? That bike with all it's fanciness and a cassette is the same weight as my kid's Trek Superfly 20 with a super heavy freehub and stock wheels.

A 20" bike doesn't need 28/36 gearing. My kid hates his 32/32 because he goes nowhere. He just gets off and walks at that point.

Unless you are going to splurge for a something nice with suspension and real components, the Trek Superfly is worth searching for. And this is coming from someone that just bought a Spawn Yammajamma 26 for his kid, so it isn't about the money.

I bought it for $150 and spent about $100 on new cables and folding tires. I'll get most of that out of it at some point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I was looking @ the trailcraft and that build, comparing to the Woom OFF 4 pricepoint. I'm not a gearhead so really do not know what components in the trailcraft really outshine the Woom. However, out of curiosity and for sizing compares I put them side by side. Can those of you that know this stuff better than I explain why the trailcraft is worth $300+ more than the Woom, ignoring the sale price of course...

Big differences I see size wise are the
    17mm crank length (Woom shorter)
    minimum saddle height (Woom higher)
    1" longer wheelbase (Trailcraft longer)
    2.0" tires (Woom) vs. 2.25" tires (Trailcraft)
    and the component difference, but I am not a guru on that stuff...

20" bike rec 0 top limit - best options?-untitled.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm going to be selling a 2018 Commencal Meta 20 here shortly. Probably at $550, fyi.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Can you PM me the details
    Buy this bike. Or at least take a good look at it. I used the thread of this build to build up a very similar 20" Precaliber. It has turned out to be an awesome bike for my son.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd1715 View Post
    Buy this bike. Or at least take a good look at it. I used the thread of this build to build up a very similar 20" Precaliber. It has turned out to be an awesome bike for my son.
    I would consider it if not for the frame and wheel color.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I would consider it if not for the frame and wheel color.
    Can't argue with you there. No red on our build. We went with a matte black fork and kept rims black too. The Neon frame my son actually likes. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I would humbly suggest buy any bike and use car vinyl wrap on the 90% of the frame - the easy bits - oh yes Ive been there done that - cost me all of UKP 8 from an ebay seller - my request was for blue as well.

Two months later I was asked to remove it by DS1 because he now wanted green. We settled on a big deep breath for Dad and removal of the blue so it could go back to the original islabike red.

That was max - Dadding at its most enjoyable ...

Shut up and ride
    He is 46inch. Seemed like not much room between seat and handle bar for him when he was stopped so I put on a smaller seat and shorter seat post (off his old 16inch bike).
    Only did 1 short ride - on our dead end street. He was a madman on that thing - everything worked great / no issues / he loved it. (well, he wasnt able to down shift - only up shift)
    ps: I did not look at crank arm length when I was deciding on a bike for him.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kweetech View Post
    I'm going to be selling a 2018 Commencal Meta 20 here shortly. Probably at $550, fyi.
    if only it was $400 haha

Moderator Moderator

Big differences I see size wise are the
    17mm crank length (Woom shorter)
    minimum saddle height (Woom higher)
    1" longer wheelbase (Trailcraft longer)
    2.0" tires (Woom) vs. 2.25" tires (Trailcraft)
    and the component difference, but I am not a guru on that stuff...
    Both are great bikes, you have the tire spec backwards. The Woom has the 2.25" Rocket Ron tires. This is a big tire and probably adds to the already high-ish standover height. The standover height is going to be the biggest issue for small kids coming off a 16" bike. That 22.8" standover height will be too tall for most kids coming off a 16".

Trailcraft also has tubeless ready rims (Woom are not), and 10 speed with wider gearing rage 11-36 vs. the Woom 9 speed 11-32. Good review of the Woom here:
    https://rascalrides.com/woom-off-review/
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    For seat height, you can drop it significantly (at least 1") on any bike that uses a railed saddle by switching to a pivotal saddle and seatpost.

Lowest combination that I've found so far has been an aluminum pivotal seatpost + Tioga D-Spyder saddle.

Spawn's Brood Perch saddle has just a hair taller stack height.

We've also tried nylon pivotal seatposts (a little lighter) -- downside is that the reinforcement for the attachment point means they don't insert as far and you wind up with 1/4"-1/2" higher minimum saddle height.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    If I was working with that budget, I'd be tempted to find a cheap bike like Vitus 20" and upgrade to hydro brakes, air fork and Maxtion 20" tires.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod187357

Bike: 370$
    Air Fork: 150$~
    Tires: 90$
    Hydraulic Brakes: 100$

Total: ~710$ (also maybe some cheap 10sp drive train on PinkBike/Ebay)

Our experience is a decent hardtail is way more capable, versatile and confidence inspiring for kids vs a rigid. You could even do some light shuttle/park days (which are awesome for kids...they get a gillion miles in and experience, like skiing). Not ideal but worth a thought. Blue Decals on the raw frame would prob look sick, especially something from AllMtn Styles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Thinking hard about adding a suspension fork to my kid’s Superfly. What is suggested that is decently light but won’t break the bank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-...ike-range.html

New Nukeproof kids line. Manitou forks abound for hardtails. Worried that wheels/tires are still a bit heavy...hmm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My daughter is 5 1/2, but about 48" and 50 lbs. We just (last Friday) got a Priority bikes Start 20" https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/start20 (You can get it through Costco for $319!) Not a true MTB, but knobby enough tires.

So far I REALLY like this bike. It's light enough (less than 20 lbs) compared to department store bikes (or other MTBs with front suspension, discs, etc.), has a low/no maintenance belt drive, and a 3 speed hub (again no/low maintenance). Comes with a fairly grippy Kenda small block 8 tire (I think it's about 1.7. The brakes and wheels are a little cheap (that's why it's in the $300 range and not the $500 range).
    This bike will give her some gear options (but not too many, which is probably good when you're learning how to shift) and some knobby tires. Getting kids away from a coaster brake is huge too! And this is about one of the cheapest bikes that will allow you to do that. Also this will be a decent option on roads and some light trails, versus going with a specific MTB.

My daughter was having issues with starting on flat ground, but within a couple of days of riding this bike she's making huge gains and can now do flat ground starts (she was really good on the balance bike, but has struggled for 1.5 years on the heavy, and cheap, Diamondback 16"we bought her). This bike has been a game changer for her, and she's SUPER stoked to ride everyday now! Another plus is that this type of kids bike should have pretty good re-sale value.