20" or 24" for 7 year old- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2014

20" or 24" for 7 year old

My sons birthday is next sat and Im torn on which size bike. A few days ago, we went to LBS and he rode the Specialized Rip rock 20. He liked it. That said, at the moment I think it fits perfect, but I feel in a year, or by next sept/oct, he'll be outgrowing it. So im thinking of doing a 24" Scott Roxter. It has the shortest standover height then most other brands and its the lightest. Id hate to do my son a disservice by putting him into something to big, but then again, I really don't wanna buy a bike very 15-18 months. Anyone have similar situations?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If he can stand over the bigger one, do it. The larger wheels are a huge advantage rolling over stuff, and the actual riding fit can almost certainly be made small enough with saddle drop/stem swap. Emergency dismounts without standover clearance are no fun though...

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by CtrlAltElite View Post
    My sons birthday is next sat and Im torn on which size bike. A few days ago, we went to LBS and he rode the Specialized Rip rock 20. He liked it. That said, at the moment I think it fits perfect, but I feel in a year, or by next sept/oct, he'll be outgrowing it. So im thinking of doing a 24" Scott Roxter. It has the shortest standover height then most other brands and its the lightest. Id hate to do my son a disservice by putting him into something to big, but then again, I really don't wanna buy a bike very 15-18 months. Anyone have similar situations?
    Depends on standover height. The proper kids bike companies do a great job with that. My son is a short 8 year old and he rides a 24". He has some friends who are 8 and 9 and ride 27.5" bikes. FWIW buy from a company who makes kids bikes if you are getting a 24" bike. Not a company who makes bikes and then shrinks them down the kid. What is the rationale for the plus size tires?

mtbr member
    As said above...depends on his standover. As a blanket statement, Iíd avoid the Riprock 20 all together.

If youíre set on a Riprock, get the 24 and run 2.1-2.35 tires so he can stand over the thing. The rear triangle can handle 24, 24+, 26, and 27.5 wheels and tires. If youíre creative, you could run it until heís 10 or 11.

That being said, thereís bikes that will fit him better where heís at now and make it more enjoyable to ride than either the Riprock 20 or 24. You make have to switch it up in 18 months but itís better than them not liking the bike or being scared of it.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    My 7 yr old is slightly above average height and he rides a 24" Spawn with front suspension. No regrets.