20” bike recommendations - Cleary or something cheaper- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

20” bike recommendations - Cleary or something cheaper

My 6 1/2 year old (48” tall) is about to outgrow her Cleary Hedgehog. We’ve been real happy with the bike just wish we got a bit more use out it since she’s growing pretty fast. I’m wondering if I stick with Cleary and drop $500 on a geared Owl or are there any cheaper options that are just as fine. We live on a short cul de sac and don’t get to do longer rides that often so it’s tough justifying expensive bikes for them. But maybe that’ll change as my kids get older.

I’ll keep my eye out for used too

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The Raleigh Rowdy seems like a good contender - https://www.amazon.com/Raleigh-Rowdy...2385265&sr=8-8

I'd rather have the 3 speed internal gear hub and the Cleary is about 1.5 lb lighter but for about $200 less, I'm leaning towards the Raleigh. It seems like a lot of 20" bikes have coaster brakes which I definitely don't want.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I'm not a huge fan of Cleary as I dont think they are that good of a value.

For about 200$ you can get a very sweet GT Stomper Prime that is a nice bike. My buddies kid has one and its surprisingly nice. It even has bosses for disk brakes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    If you live on a culdesac, perhaps an 18" or even a 16" BMX would be a good fit, and you can build some tiny kicker ramps to have fun together.

Or you could get your kid a micro race BMX bike. I got a DK Sprinter (kids race bike) for my daughter a couple of years ago and it was 20 lbs, $380, and solid components, much nicer than what you'd find on a MTB anywhere near that price point. You can also be more spendy and get something in the 15 lb range, like a used Supercross race BMX bike or something along those lines.

You can also take your kid to the BMX track and you can ride too - so much fun, and so great for the skill development.

You could also get a 16" BMX, like a Cult Juvenile for $350, take your kid to the skate park in a less crowded time such as a weekend morning. The smaller wheels and low standover are confidence inspiring and will naturally have your kid standing up when riding.

In comparison, the kids MTB at this price point are going to be much heavier and come with very cheap components like crappy front suspension that just adds weight and isn't necessary. Once the bike handling skills are there, riding a MTB is an easy transition and you can upgrade to something more expensive in a couple of years or so.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I personally think the Trek Wahoo 20 is a great 20" bike. It's pretty light as a stock bike, about 19.5lbs. The parts spec is better then most bike in its price range. It has a trigger shifter rather then a gripshift, and no heavy/worthless suspension fork. Huge pluses! And all the parts can be easily upgraded if you wanted to make it even lighter or more geared toward trail riding. It's a solid "ride everywhere" bike for a kid. It's a touch cheaper then the Cleary.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...oo-20/p/24027/

No matter what bike you get, you can shave about 1.5lbs of weight off of it with these wheels. I got a pair for my son's bike and they're great!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3289...d4aa4c4dkSP2Ho

Happy bike hunting!

Shut up and ride
    We had a cleary gecko (great little bike) and sold it for 60% of the price so my cost was like $125. (Plenty of Folks spend that much at a fancy dinner for 2!)

Maybe Norco storm 2.3 ?

Shut up and ride

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Good point about the dinner out. The norco storm looks pretty nice. I'll have to do some more comparing in a couple weeks when I get closer to buying. Maybe there'll be some good deals on Black Friday.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    Good point about the dinner out. The norco storm looks pretty nice. I'll have to do some more comparing in a couple weeks when I get closer to buying. Maybe there'll be some good deals on Black Friday.
    We picked up a geared Cleary Owl for our daughter on Black Friday (or Cyber Monday) last year. I think it was 20% off? I've been pretty pleased with it. I'll probably throw on a smaller gear in the back to get a bit higher range for next year.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Anyone have experience with the Giant XTC Jr 20? I think my LBS has the 2019 model in stock for $255.

Will see if there are any good deals on the Raleigh Lily, Cleary Owl, or Trek Wahoo tomorrow or Cyber Monday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Just by looks of it, the chainstay is a little long, but components are ok for the price. I'd opt for something with disc over V brakes. They're much easier for little hands to grip and stop quickly. Even mechanical discs to start, and it's only a $50 upgrade to cheap hydros.

That said, I haven't seen any 20" disc bikes for under $300. If you're not worried about discs, the XTC Jr seems like a decent intro to brake levers and gears.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I wound up going with the Raleigh. I got it for ~$260 shipped from Crimson Bikes. I figure it'll be a year or two before I switch to a 24" so wanted to keep the price low on the 20" bike. The Raleigh gets good reviews on TwoWheeling Tots and seems similar enough to the Cleary so I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with it.