16" Bike Recommendation- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2018

16" Bike Recommendation

Hello. I am looking at the following four bikes to purchase for my son. Can anyone recommend any of them? I would like to hear your thoughts on each. Thanks.

1. Cleary Hedgehog
    2. Frog 48
    3. Prevelo Alpha Two
    4. Pello Revo

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

16" Bike Recommendation

Daughter has a hedgehog. I was between the hedgehog and whatever spawn calls their 16” bike.

She really wanted pink so we went with clearly. It built up easily and has been great for her. She was 3 when we got it so it was a bit big. I got the shorter seat post and riser bars for it. She likes it a lot. Still learning to ride. I might put some off-road tires on it when she gets to that point. We’re planning to hand it down to her sister when the time comes.

I had some questions about the riser bars and Jeff they owner of the company actually called me. Pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Spawn Yoji 16. By far and wide the best. Hybrid BMX style geo for skill development. Super light. Amazing tires. Shimano compatible freewheel and cog. Great cranks with 64bcd allows you to swap any common chainring. Really low stand over. Easy decision. It's that or a 12" Fit Misfit or Cult Juvenile BMX. My 3yr rides skate parks and flat single track all over with it. Fantastic bike.

We also have a Stampede 16" that was garbage compared to the spawn and hangs in the garage.

Don't buy into the other "neighborhood" style bikes. They actively promote bad habits. A BMX Park kids coach told me that those style of bikes are a plague as kids show up with a bike that doesn't promote any sort of skill development so the kids just cry and struggle on a basic pump track. It's all just sit and pedal nonsense. All the while BMX kids the same age are clearing table tops and airing out half pipes. It's a different world.

Buy the Spawn, slam the seat and never raise it. Teach them to pedal in the first few months and then to stand and pedal in the next few. Then they'll really be able to ride and do some minor climbs and rollers etc because they have the skills.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Thank you

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Spawn Yoji 16. By far and wide the best. Hybrid BMX style geo for skill development. Super light. Amazing tires. Shimano compatible freewheel and cog. Great cranks with 64bcd allows you to swap any common chainring. Really low stand over. Easy decision. It's that or a 12" Fit Misfit or Cult Juvenile BMX. My 3yr rides skate parks and flat single track all over with it. Fantastic bike.

We also have a Stampede 16" that was garbage compared to the spawn and hangs in the garage.

Don't buy into the other "neighborhood" style bikes. They actively promote bad habits. A BMX Park kids coach told me that those style of bikes are a plague as kids show up with a bike that doesn't promote any sort of skill development so the kids just cry and struggle on a basic pump track. It's all just sit and pedal nonsense. All the while BMX kids the same age are clearing table tops and airing out half pipes. It's a different world.

Buy the Spawn, slam the seat and never raise it. Teach them to pedal in the first few months and then to stand and pedal in the next few. Then they'll really be able to ride and do some minor climbs and rollers etc because they have the skills.
    Thank you, I appreciate your comments. I like the Yoji as well. I called Spawn and they told me my son was too big for the Yoji though. They thought he should buy the 20" Yama or Raiju. Unfortunately, those bikes are outside my budget. My son is 4 1/2 years old, 43 1/2" tall with an 18 1/4" inseam. I assume your 3 year old is smaller. Do you have any other recommendations for BMX style bikes that are more affordable?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Spawn and Cleary both list the same inseam range of 16-21 inches. So, I'd say the Yoji would fit him now, but given that he's 43.5" tall at 4.5 he'll probably outgrow it, or any 16" bike, pretty fast. I'd guess you'll get 3 months out of it, tops.

https://spawncycles.com/sizing
    https://www.clearybikes.com/pages/cl...s-sizing-chart

That's pretty much the exact same height and inseam my son was when he moved up to a 20" bike (at 6.5, we're a vertically-challenged family), so a 20" is not an unreasonable suggestion. There's quite a few nice light rigid 20" bikes out there now for <$500. Orbea MX20 Team and Cannondale Cujo 20 would be at the top of my list of recommendations. Raleigh Rowdy 20 is a pretty respectable bike for $240.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    My son is just moving on from his 16" Commencal Ramones. He's had a blast on that thing and getting into 20" BMX now.

Just another option to consider.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    20" BMX freestyle bike is for adults only. I'm 6-4 and ride a 20". They make kids BMX racing bikes that are 20" but that's a different ball game.

16" BMX fit misfit or Cult Juvenile are great options for kids that fit a 20" mtb.

My 3yr has a 16" inseam. I don't recall his height. Sounds like your kid is due for a 20" mtb and or a 16" BMX freestyle bike as mentioned above.

20" mtb options are slim as most bikes suck for kids. Spawn stuff is too expensive for your budget. I REALLY like the Rocky Mountain Vertex 20 for 700$ or the Norco Charger 2.1 for 650. Both have air forks and hydraulic brakes which are helpful.

Dan mentioned the Orbea stuff which is also fantastic so check those out for rigid or non rigid options. If your kid is ready ride hard, it's worth it to get the air fork and hydraulic brakes for sure. Don't go plus bikes or coil forks. A Trek Superfly isn't a bad rigid option at 20" and are on sale last I heard for 375$.

Avoid the neighborhood bikes. Trust me they don't promote mtb or BMX skills which can be life saving on a real trail. You don't want your kid to be sitting and riding much at this age so don't buy a bike that prioritizes that like the isla bike stuff. They don't even allow those on our mtb team for my 6yr old. Isla does make a fantastic mtb but not at 20".

Oh also the Norco Storm 2.3 RIGID bike is a nice looking option I think.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Don't go plus bikes
    I agree for the most part, but the Cujo seems pretty legit. <22 lbs, which is only about 1 lb more than the Orbea, 11-34 cassette on a real freehub, and discs for $440 is pretty respectable. A lot more widely available than the Orbea, there's Cannondale dealers everywhere.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Agreed. That is the only bike I've remotely seen that is feasible. Here's the thing tho, both our kids ride hard (especially yours) and we aren't in dire need of that extra rototational weight. Not sure these other kids are pushing the envelope enough to need it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hah72215 View Post
    My son is just moving on from his 16" Commencal Ramones. He's had a blast on that thing and getting into 20" BMX now.

Just another option to consider.
    If it's not too late, seriously consider an 18" instead of a 20" BMX (unless it's for racing). My son is 14 and 5'5" now and still prefers his 18" for a park/DJ stuff a lot of the time. Great size for kids.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.