16" bike for christmas- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

16" bike for christmas

I am thinking about getting my 4 year old a 16" training wheel bike for christmas. I have been looking around at the options from specialized, rei (novara), generic superhero ones from amazon and performancebike.

I was hoping to get a gender neutral color to pass along to my daughtre but I have given up on that and see that the manufacturers make that impossible. I like the looks of the specialized but the prices i am seeing at the LBS are a little high. The novara ones are ok, nothing special and I am scared of the quality from the generic spiderman one. The performance can be had for 109.00 and seems like a good deal. any thoughts?

Also, i would certainly buy used but seems weird as it would be coming from santa.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Many will say skip the training wheels and go with a balance bike instead. Search the forum for info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Already have the balance bike. He rides it a little but is not really interested and wants pedals.

Birdman aka JMJ
    I just got my 4YO daughter a 16" Specialized Hotrock (2008 model). It's light green & white, so kinda gender neutral. It's 19lbs with training wheels. Her current 12" Schwinn with training wheels is over 21lbs, so this is a great upgrade for her (and a neat platform for me to upgrade).

I've seen a few on ebay and on Craigslist. I paid $85 for this one, and spent an hour or 2 cleaning & polishing it. Also upgraded the seatpost, but that's another thread.

If a used bike is in good condition, you could get it to "as new" fairly easily with a good cleaning and a few parts from the spare parts bin. If your child really wants a bike, the excitement of getting one might help her overlook a few dings & scratches. My kids don't seem to have a problem with previously enjoyed toys.

Santa has been cutting back too, I've heard.

JMJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16" bike for christmas-syncros-post-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    My kids' first 16" bikes were Electra Hot Rods. They loved them. The bikes look really cool and Electra is a high quality bike. I had one red and one black for them. In fact, they don't ride them anymore and I might be interested in getting rid of them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16" bike for christmas-bhr.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tron View Post
    Already have the balance bike. He rides it a little but is not really interested and wants pedals.
    I have the same situation with my son, he wants "a blue bike, with pedals". I'm looking at the Hotrock and Islabike CNOC 16 (UK). The Islabike is seen as the best as far as I can tell, and they retain about 70% of their value. They are also about 2 lbs lighter than the Hotrock. However, the Hotrock is more abundant, and cheaper, on the used market, both having the same MSRP.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rmccully View Post
    I have the same situation with my son, he wants "a blue bike, with pedals". I'm looking at the Hotrock and Islabike CNOC 16 (UK). The Islabike is seen as the best as far as I can tell, and they retain about 70% of their value. They are also about 2 lbs lighter than the Hotrock. However, the Hotrock is more abundant, and cheaper, on the used market, both having the same MSRP.
    The problem with the Specialized is that it has a coaster brake, which I'd avoid. A better option to the Specialized, and a bit cheaper than the Islabike, is the Ridgeback MX16. It's available in blue and good quality, nicer than a Halfords bike but a step below the Islabike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I would get the islabike in a heartbeat if it were available in the US

Birdman aka JMJ
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDecisive View Post
    The problem with the Specialized is that it has a coaster brake, which I'd avoid.
    A few folks have fitted a rear side-pull brake to the Hotrock. That will be my plan once my daughter get's up and going without training wheels.

JMJ

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    What is wrong with a coaster brake? Training wheels I am certainly not a fan of (teaches bad habits), but i've found that as long as there is at least one handbrake, a coaster brake is a fine option.

On my 4yo daughter's Scotty Voltage Jr. 12, she has a front hand brake and a rear coaster, and she uses them appropriately...