mtbr member
    Oct 2006

127mm crank on Cleary Hedgehog???

My 5.5 yr old daughter is spinning out her Cleary Hedgehog with the stock 25T chainring and 13T cog. I've read the threads where some of you guys have replaced the cranks with the Spawn 102mm crank and used some kind of 64 bcd to 104 bcd adapter. I noticed that Spawn has a 127 mm crank with a 32T ring. Is there a reason this 127mm crank wouldn't work with the existing BB or have adverse affects? We're not really riding any trails at this time so I don't *think* pedal strikes would be a concern?

I know you can throw $100+ at this to correct, but at that point, I think I would start looking at 20" bikes which she would definitely be ready for next year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    what is height/inseam is your girl?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    what is height/inseam is your girl?
    45" tall, 18.5" inseam

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by aski View Post
    45" tall, 18.5" inseam
    I'd just go 20" for sure. Especially if she is already a decent rider. You are right on the bleeding edge for 20" size wise. Just don't go buy a tank of a bike like a Riprock or something silly like that and you'll be fine. I don't know the others but Spawn Sizing says min height is 43" and min inseam is 19". Easy jump there to some nice bikes.

I like these 20" MTB:

Rigid: Approx. 350$+
    - Trek Superfly 20"
    - Orbea MX20
    - Cujo 20" (I'm not a big fan of the extra rolling weight of plus tires but the bike is nice)
    - Prevelo Stuff
    - Norco Storm rigid (not the coil fork nonsense)
    - Cleary owl isn't bad - tho I tend to shy away a little from the neighborhood style bikes...this seems to have a nice middle ground tho.

Hardtails with a decent airfork: 650$ +
    Norco Charger 2.1 (650$)
    Rocky Mountain Vertex 20" (700$)
    Spawn Yama Jama 20" (the best by far simply because the fork is unreal) 1050$
    Orbea MX20 hardtail version

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My main concern would be the pedals hitting the ground when she pedals through a turn. Those can be hard falls. Measure the current clearance between the ground and the bottom of the pedal with the crank in the 6 o'clock position. Then, consider how reducing that clearance by a full inch will impact allowable lean angle.

If you're interested, I'm pretty sure I have a pair of 102 mm cranks with a 32t chainring in my parts bin. I bought them for my son's Hedgehog from a store in Holland. After confirming twice with them that they were aluminum, they turned out to be steel and they gave me a no-return full refund. Despite being steel, the weight penalty over the Spawn 102 mm cranks (including the bashring) was <100 grams (details here, last 2-3 posts:Needed: 16" rear wheel w/ freehub that will take a <16t cog- Mtbr.com).

PM me if you're interested, pay shipping and they're yours.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    PM me if you're interested, pay shipping and they're yours.
    Thanks! I sent a PM

Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    I'd just go 20" for sure. Especially if she is already a decent rider. You are right on the bleeding edge for 20" size wise.
    Yeah, I've thought about going ahead and moving up to a 20", but I'm so unsure which direction I should go with that. The new 3-speed Cleary Owl looks pretty nice and would be sufficient for probably 75% of what we would likely do. I really like that Orbea too, but sometimes wonder if too many gears would just be confusing? Then there's a racing BMX and/or freestyle BMX bike for better skill development? My kid can't have more bikes than me, right???

My daughter participated in her first kiddie triathlon this past weekend and loved it so we'll probably do more of that type of thing. If I can get a 32T up front with the 13T cog in the back of her Hedgehog, that should get us through this summer/fall and give me more time to figure out which 20" to get next year.