Wreckoning vs Following MB - A 1st hand Comparison- Mtbr.com
    Paste eater

Wreckoning vs Following MB - A 1st hand Comparison

Me
    I'm 5'10 185lb 37 male. I've been riding for 12 years. I'm skilled downhiller. I can keep up on the way up. I go be A Fat Kid in the cycling community to remind people to not take themselves to seriously and, well, I think it's funny :P

I live in Golden, CO. Our local riding is lot of loose over hard pack, rocky, arid and for the most part straight up and then straight down. High country places like Crested Butte, Vail, Breck etc are also close which adds in interesting dynamic when choosing a bike ( more on this later ). Lastly, my favorite riding is desert riding. We have quasi desert riding on the front range but I do make it Moab and Fruita frequently. Maybe 20 days a year or so combined.

(some) Other bikes I've own
    Titus Motolite
    Banshee Rune
    Nomad v2
    Bronson v1
    Tallboy LT
    Evil Insurgent

Nitty-gritty details
    I first bought the Wreckoning. Pretty spiffy build.

-med
    -xtr brakes
    -xo drivetrain
    -e13 9-46 cassette
    -ibis 941 rims laces to i9s
    -Enve bars
    -lyrik

It's still a touch over 33lbs. I really do love this bike. I can rehash what everyone already knows about how this bike goes DH but I feel that's not a good use of time. Instead I'll talk about some other aspects. So let's pretend I've given it all the praise it deserves here as it is 100% my favorite bike to DH to date.

First, it's an excellent technical climber. Absolutely sticks to everything.

For such a large bike, it's more nibble than you'd think *but* I also find that you have drive it. It really comes alive when you're pushing it. Tired? Be prepared for it to get away form you. And *yes* at the end of a ride, I would say I'm more tired when riding the Wreckoning.

So why a MB?
    Excellent questions my fellow Broskis and Broski-ettes!

No matter how you cut it, the Wreckoning is a big bike. It's more bike than you need plenty of times. In the high country of Colorado, for instance, while still fun to descend on, climbing and pedaling in general is just more work than it needs to be. The high country just is not that technical in most cases. Also, I'm fit guy but at 185lbs I'm down right voluptuously plump for a cyclist. Sarcasm aside, it's inherently harder for me to keep up with my stick-figured brethren and freak-of-nature weirdos who never seem to get tired. I ride with both of these types of specimens.

Also, after years on longer travel bikes, I was down right curious what a shorter travel bike built with slack geo and not built all spindly would ride like. Like seriously, Is it the travel I'm after or is really just the GEO and sturdyness of these big bikes I enjoy?!?

So for science, I bought a MB.

Also a spiffy build.

-med
    -Fox 36
    -ibis 942 rims laced to project 321 hubs
    -xx1 eagle
    -RSC ultimates
    -sixc bars

It's still not a featherweight at 30.5. It's true, it does feel like more. More than anything this bike is SNAPPY. Sooo frigigin' fun. Easier to throw around but still stiff and the angles with the 140mm fork at quite close to my Wreckoning so hoping on it immediately felt like home. On the fast smoother stuff, this bike is exceptionally fun. If the Wreckoning is a mack truck, the MB is a baja racer. Carving corners at high speed is exceptionally fun.

So where doesn't it stack up? Two areas.

1) High speed chunder. It just bounces around a bit more making the ride a bit more unpredictable.
    2) Big hits. I've bottomed this bike out. Pretty damn hard to do that on the wreckoning.

So which one should *you* get
    My feeling is...

If I lived in the desert, It would be the Wreckoning. Although, I will say I brought the MB to Sedona and really like it there. The riding there just is not that fast.

If I lived in a smooth area or in the Mountains, I'd buy the following. This bike is amazingly capable and is just a better choice when putting in big elevation days. Also, it's silly fun carving through aspens!

If I lived in a loamy area, I think I'd lean towards to MB.

If my area had a lot of new schooly flow, the MB for sure.

Which on my favorite?
    Touch to say. Like children, I love them both dearly.

If I didn't ride an Evil
    The Ibis Ripmo is very interesting bike.

Pics
    Following: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgDLQSWh...justinwindhall
    Wreckoning: https://www.instagram.com/p/BVbZuGYD...justinwindhall

mtbr member
    That's really where my following fell short, high speed big hits, and repetitive hits...aka chunder. Otherwise super fun bike. I moved on to a Rallon. Right out of the gate the stį was a revelation. Wheelbase stability, awesome. Don't feel it gave much up to the following except tight apex berms. Split pivot brakes and pedals (especially tracking under power) noticeably better as well. I'll leave at that as this is on the Evil forum. Excellent comparison Jwind!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post

Also, after years on longer travel bikes, I was down right curious what a shorter travel bike built with slack geo and not built all spindly would ride like. Like seriously, Is it the travel I'm after or is really just the GEO and sturdyness of these big bikes I enjoy?!?

So for science, I bought a MB.
    Thanks for the comparison, and this quoted part is spot on in my MB experience.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miťrcoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    That's really where my following fell short, high speed big hits, and repetitive hits...aka chunder. Otherwise super fun bike. I moved on to a Rallon. Right out of the gate the stį was a revelation. Wheelbase stability, awesome. Don't feel it gave much up to the following except tight apex berms. Split pivot brakes and pedals (especially tracking under power) noticeably better as well. I'll leave at that as this is on the Evil forum. Excellent comparison Jwind!
    Ah yes, Rallon is an interesting one too.

nel
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Are you running both bikes in x-low Jwind?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Great review....I am in throes of mentally preparing myself for an FMB to supplement my Wrecker. Plan go 140mm front w/ a -1* headset to keep the geometry similar to my Wrecker.

In my experience the XLOW position on my Wrecker makes pedal strikes all too common unless you are at the bike park or shuttling only. It also slackens the ST which does impact your ups. My sol'n was the headset...it achieved the same HA as the XLOW position, only dropped the BB by 2-3mm, and slightly steepened the ST angle for better climbing position. win win win.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by nel View Post
    Are you running both bikes in x-low Jwind?
    Both in Low. I prefer the geo in low. FYI, a MB with a 140mm 36 has slightly steeper HA than a Wreckoning with 160mm lyrik. Wrecker sits at ~65.4 and the MB at ~65.7.

nel
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tdc_worm View Post
    Great review....I am in throes of mentally preparing myself for an FMB to supplement my Wrecker. Plan go 140mm front w/ a -1* headset to keep the geometry similar to my Wrecker.

In my experience the XLOW position on my Wrecker makes pedal strikes all too common unless you are at the bike park or shuttling only. It also slackens the ST which does impact your ups. My sol'n was the headset...it achieved the same HA as the XLOW position, only dropped the BB by 2-3mm, and slightly steepened the ST angle for better climbing position. win win win.
    I might have to try this on my Wreckoning as I'm getting too many pedal strikes in the X-Low position although I really like the way it feels going downhill. Did you install a -1 or -1.5 headset?

nel
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Both in Low. I prefer the geo in low. FYI, a MB with a 140mm 36 has slightly steeper HA than a Wreckoning with 160mm lyrik. Wrecker sits at ~65.4 and the MB at ~65.7.
    Cool thanks for the info. I ran a 140mm Lyrik in X-Low on my MB but prefer the handling of the 130mm fork in X-Low. I might have to try the 140mm fork in the Low position now!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    To which I thump my pitchfork handle on the ground, hold the torch up near my face so you can see the crazy in my eyes, and growl "141".

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nel View Post
    I might have to try this on my Wreckoning as I'm getting too many pedal strikes in the X-Low position although I really like the way it feels going downhill. Did you install a -1 or -1.5 headset?

-1*. Didnt make wheel flop any worse, but did seem to settle down the front wheel want to step out in rough turns.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Hi guys

I need your help deciding on a Following MB and a Wreckoning LB.

My trails here are a real mix, some are built as really good flow trails and others are gnarly, steep and rocky. Some flow from one to the other with drops that max out at around smomach to chest height.

Most people I ride with have 140mm - 160mm on the fork.

I get mixed opinions here on the bikes, some say they are moving to the Following MB from the Wreckoning and others swear by the Wreckoning itís making it really tough.

I think most travel canít hurt but perhaps there is more to it.

I must add that there are no lifts here and shuttles days are far and few. Riding up on avg 320m is normal for most of the trails for a single run. Climbing is a given.

Iíd love your advice.

thanks
    Last edited by Gambithut; 08-14-2018 at 01:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambithut View Post
    Hi guys

I need your help deciding on a Following MB and a Wreckoning LB.

My trails here are a real mix, some are built as really good flow trails and others are gnarly, steep and rocky. Some flow from one to the other with drops that max out at around smomach to chest height.

Most people I ride with have 140mm - 160mm on the fork.

I get mixed opinions here on the bikes, some say they are moving to the Following MB from the Wreckoning and others swear by the Wreckoning itís making it really tough.

I think most travel canít hurt but perhaps there is more to it.

I must add that there are no lifts here and shuttles days are far and few. Riding up on avg 320m is normal for most of the trails for a single run. Climbing is a given.

Iíd love your advice.

thanks
    I can do chest height drops on the MB without issues, so you could manage those drops on either bike. If you plan on smashing down chunk at higher speeds often though, I'd say opt for the Wreckoning. I think what would make someone move away from the Wreck to the MB would be for agility, pop(suspension ramp), or acceleration.

It's a lot of money, so I hope you can demo both somehow before buying. I'd also recommend some in between bikes, like the Yeti SB5.5 or the Hightower (or Hightower LT). Those make for good all around bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1078 View Post
    I can do chest height drops on the MB without issues, so you could manage those drops on either bike. If you plan on smashing down chunk at higher speeds often though, I'd say opt for the Wreckoning. I think what would make someone move away from the Wreck to the MB would be for agility, pop(suspension ramp), or acceleration.

It's a lot of money, so I hope you can demo both somehow before buying. I'd also recommend some in between bikes, like the Yeti SB5.5 or the Hightower (or Hightower LT). Those make for good all around bikes.
    Thanks very much for the feedback.

I think itís pretty rare for me to hit chunk at speed, itís here on the trails but in small percentages.

Unfortunately I canít demo them both because if it being such a specialized bike, but from what Iíve read I think the following is going to rock. My biggest concern is drops and jumps. Chatting to the guys at Evil they say itíll do fine.

Getting it the end of the week hopefully so letís see.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

I think itís pretty rare for me to hit chunk at speed, itís here on the trails but in small percentages.

Unfortunately I canít demo them both because if it being such a specialized bike, but from what Iíve read I think the following is going to rock. My biggest concern is drops and jumps. Chatting to the guys at Evil they say itíll do fine.

Getting it the end of the week hopefully so letís see.
    Sure thing. If you want to make the Following more comfortable on descents, you can run it with a 140mm fork. I'm going back to that setup soon.

Paste eater
    They're both really stout! I drop my MB all the time. No chunk at high speed, no lifts, (not much technical in general?) and lots of climbing? I'd probably lean towards the MB.

mtbr member

I think itís pretty rare for me to hit chunk at speed...
    Then get a Following with a 140mm fork and call it a day. Don't kid yourself. You don't need a Wreckoning.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rondre3000; 08-14-2018 at 08:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1078 View Post

Good to know about the drops it was a little sorry. Can you smash a 4m table top? Iím sure you can since it canít be much more effort than a drop.

I love both the yeti sb 5.5 and Santa Cruz Hightower but both are obscenely expensive here. Not that the Following is cheap but itís less.

Rocks belong
    Could a Following MB with a 140 36 handle Angel Fire? And I mean all of Angel Fire, including the awesomely steep/chunky crap up top.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks for the advice. Iíve gone with a Following and I feel good about it. Always nice to hear it again from others though