Wreckoning vs Following MB- Mtbr.com
    Robertson

Wreckoning vs Following MB

Morning all, I have been riding a Wreckoning for the past year after piloting a V1 Following for the year prior to that. Loved the Following (ran with 140mm fork) but felt it got overwhelmed in fast, chunky bits encouraging the transition to the Wreckoning. Love my wreckoning as well but despite a few carbon bits (including wheels) and air shocks front and rear, it still weighs in around 33 lbs. Since moving out west I've gotten more into doing 35+ mile, 4500+ ft climbing rides which while doable on the Wreck are a chore, especially the climbs. This has me thinking about switching to a Following MB. I would run it with a 140mm fork (possibly a coil ala the MRP ribbon coil) and maybe a coil rear once available. A quick build up on Fanatik shows I could do this, with reasonable tires, at around 28 lbs, which sounds very enticing (would run with a -1 headset to give a similar HA to my Wreck and steepen up the SA). Anyone ridden both of these bikes that can comment on how they compare climbing and descending? Any input is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Looking at how you want to build this bike you might not be saving any weight over your Wreckoning. Just built a med MB for a buddy weighed in at 32lbs three pounds heavier then my large V1 Following. His frame alone was heavier then my V1. Ibis carbon 942 wheels w/Onyx hubs, Maxxis DHR/DHF, DVO Diamond boost, Enve bars and stem full xt drivetrain. definitely not a spandex commando rig. I would think that once you start adding coil front and rear it's gonna push the weight up.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    Morning all, I have been riding a Wreckoning for the past year after piloting a V1 Following for the year prior to that. Loved the Following (ran with 140mm fork) but felt it got overwhelmed in fast, chunky bits encouraging the transition to the Wreckoning. Love my wreckoning as well but despite a few carbon bits (including wheels) and air shocks front and rear, it still weighs in around 33 lbs. Since moving out west I've gotten more into doing 35+ mile, 4500+ ft climbing rides which while doable on the Wreck are a chore, especially the climbs. This has me thinking about switching to a Following MB. I would run it with a 140mm fork (possibly a coil ala the MRP ribbon coil) and maybe a coil rear once available. A quick build up on Fanatik shows I could do this, with reasonable tires, at around 28 lbs, which sounds very enticing (would run with a -1 headset to give a similar HA to my Wreck and steepen up the SA). Anyone ridden both of these bikes that can comment on how they compare climbing and descending? Any input is appreciated.
    Lightest I think you could get it with a coil is 30 I think. Maybe 29 with air fork/coil rear. Get the drunk olive also since you can almost save a 1/2 lb in weight.

Im right around 28 3/4 lbs with Roval carbon wheels, next sl cranks, carbon bars, Fox 36 etc..I run 900 plus gram tires too.

mtbr member
    Wait...you weigh your bikes????

Pretty sure once you stick a coil on both ends of a Following of the same frame size you will be as heavy or heavier than a Wreckoning with air suspension. All other bits being equal, you're going to weigh nearly the same. It sure won't be a 5 lb difference unless you add a bunch of light weight fluff to the Following. Aaaaaannd then you could have just done the same to the Wreckoning.

Not saying the move is bad. I just don't see any weight savings in your new Following build.

Robertson
    A build up on Fanatik's site with as light weight parts as I'd care to run (Olive size M) comes out to 28 lbs; if I throw a coil rear and add in some wiggle room for real world weights I figure it would come at around 30. I'm not happy with the suspension on my Wreck right now, was thinking of switching to coil front/rear on that anyways but that would push the weight up even further. The other issue with the Wreck is just putting in all that climbing with a 160mm bike. More looking for ride characteristic input from people that have ridden both

10,000,000 Watts
    29.15# XL, full carbon, Di2 , ready to ride with cage, pedals, shockwiz, swat tool ...
    Peace sells, but whos buying..

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    my medium MB with heavy orange paint is 28.9lbs all-in.

Mostly X01. Bontrager Line Pro carbon wheels (which are great btw). 9point8 dropper. Chromag 800mm carbon bars. A 130mm pike. Nothing too weight-weenie.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    With coils I think you'll be hard pressed to get it below 30lbs without going full weight weenie everywhere else. My large Calling is 29.74lbs with OneUp pedals and air suspension.

I know this is blasphemy but have you considered a better climbing bike outside of Evil? Maybe a Pivot or Yeti?

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    With coils I think you'll be hard pressed to get it below 30lbs without going full weight weenie everywhere else. My large Calling is 29.74lbs with OneUp pedals and air suspension.

I know this is blasphemy but have you considered a better climbing bike outside of Evil? Maybe a Pivot or Yeti?
    I have. No Yetis, had a very bad experience with their customer service two years back that put me off from that whole company. Other bikes I'm considering would be a Pivot Switchblade, SC Hightower or HTLT, or a GG smash.

Paste eater
    I have a Wreck! I've also had an Insurgent. I'm also considering an MB. One that is built like you want and for many of the same reasons you want it.

I think some other posters are correct. 30lbs is a reasonable target. I also think that's pretty alright And BTW, here is a XL that is just shy of 28 lbs ( https://www.fanatikbike.com/blogs/bu...ollowing-mb-12 )

And you're right, 161mm is a lot of bike. It's also a lot of fun. :P

I suggest you buy one ASAP and report back Where you at anyhow? I'm in Golden, CO.

10,000,000 Watts
    If I dropped my pedals, shock wiz, swat tool and ran wimpy rubber and olive paint, Id be there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
    If I dropped my pedals, shock wiz, swat tool and ran wimpy rubber and olive paint, Id be there.
    Do you normally run the shock wiz outside of periodic tuning?

10,000,000 Watts
    I used to, sold it.

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    I have a Wreck! I've also had an Insurgent. I'm also considering an MB. One that is built like you want and for many of the same reasons you want it.

I think some other posters are correct. 30lbs is a reasonable target. I also think that's pretty alright And BTW, here is a XL that is just shy of 28 lbs ( https://www.fanatikbike.com/blogs/bu...ollowing-mb-12 )

And you're right, 161mm is a lot of bike. It's also a lot of fun. :P

I suggest you buy one ASAP and report back Where you at anyhow? I'm in Golden, CO.
    I'm in San Diego. I thought I might need all the travel of the Wreck for out here but after getting an aggressive hardtail that I ride a good bit, I've found the 160mm travel isn't needed. I liked how my old Following rode better than the Wreck anyways. Current plan is for a Following MB with a 140 coil fork, air shock normally and once a coil shock that fits comes out (a CC DB coil inline would be sweet) get one of those for the rare bike park or enduro race. Now just to decide on if I want to get an angleset too...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hi, curious if you decided on the MB? I've been on the Insurgent the past year and really like it. I've got the itis, and I've been wanting to jump on a 29er. My friends got a wreckoning, and I rode a quick lap at our local trail, but not enough to really get a feel for it.
    Like you, I live in SD and do a bit of climbing, but nothing close to 35mi. Anyways, I've been jumping back and forth between Wreck/ Fol MB or just upgrading to a new Insurgent (if&when) to keep cost down. I'd use an adapter to go boost.
    From what I've read about the following is it would be the perfect everyday bike for the trails in our area .
    I see the Wreck as just a bigger wheeled Insurgent, not as agile, but can roll over and maintain speed a bit better.
    I've have a dedicated DH bike (don't ride it often anymore but nice to have and 26er), so the MB would be a perfect combo.
    If I go wreck, I'd probably sell my DH bike and Insurgent and maybe pick up a 29er HT down the line.
    Been stuck trying to decide which would be best.
    Anyways, was just curious on what you did or are planning to do since we probably ride the same-ish type of trails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by rhynohead View Post
    Hi, curious if you decided on the MB? I've been on the Insurgent the past year and really like it. I've got the itis, and I've been wanting to jump on a 29er. My friends got a wreckoning, and I rode a quick lap at our local trail, but not enough to really get a feel for it.
    Like you, I live in SD and do a bit of climbing, but nothing close to 35mi. Anyways, I've been jumping back and forth between Wreck/ Fol MB or just upgrading to a new Insurgent (if&when) to keep cost down. I'd use an adapter to go boost.
    From what I've read about the following is it would be the perfect everyday bike for the trails in our area .
    I see the Wreck as just a bigger wheeled Insurgent, not as agile, but can roll over and maintain speed a bit better.
    I've have a dedicated DH bike (don't ride it often anymore but nice to have and 26er), so the MB would be a perfect combo.
    If I go wreck, I'd probably sell my DH bike and Insurgent and maybe pick up a 29er HT down the line.
    Been stuck trying to decide which would be best.
    Anyways, was just curious on what you did or are planning to do since we probably ride the same-ish type of trails

I ended up getting a GG Smash. My wreck will actually be for sale in a few weeks (gotta get the suspension serviced before I send it to a new home). If I wasn't into real big rides, my Wreck and the aggressive HT would cover my bases nicely. Like you, I tend to get the -itis and seem to end up switching bikes yearly anyways...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I ended up getting a GG Smash. My wreck will actually be for sale in a few weeks (gotta get the suspension serviced before I send it to a new home). If I wasn't into real big rides, my Wreck and the aggressive HT would cover my bases nicely. Like you, I tend to get the -itis and seem to end up switching bikes yearly anyways...
    Nice. I also looked into the GG smash a while ago. It looks like a good tweener with the 140 in the rear. That's the thing about the MB, 120 would be the least amnt of travel I've ridden in a while

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    most people in this thread and reviews say its feels like it has more than 120.

https://www.bikemag.com/gear/mountai...-following-mb/

my only regret is that I didn't buy it couple months earlier than I did.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Doesn't the GG Smash frame weigh the same or more than the Wreckoning?

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by jpease View Post
    Doesn't the GG Smash frame weigh the same or more than the Wreckoning?
    They're the exact same weight actually size for size. But the Smash is around $900 cheaper so that money went towards more expensive lighter weight components for a build that was just over 29 pounds