Wreckoning vs. '15 Nomad- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Wreckoning vs. '15 Nomad

I've been reading and searching for a few days now and still have not seen a direct comparison between the last Nomad and the Wreckoning. Their numbers are similar, and everything leads me to believe the Wreckoning is right up my alley but demoing isn't an option in SE Idaho since there are no dealers. My biggest concern is how it climbs. I am looking for an Enduro race bike and a bike to ride Teton pass with. I have my DH bike for park and DH type riding. So from those that have had both how does the climbing of the Wreckoning compare to the Nomad? Will I be better off spending the $$$ to really dial in my Nomad suspension, or does the Wreckoning climb as good or better, knowing that it descends as good or better then the Nomad for my riding style, which is point it and pick the smoothest line I can manage while not slowing down. I am definitely not a poppy, playful rider. Racing dirt bikes off road took that out of my riding style.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I'm about 6 rides in on my wreckoning. I too, bought without demoing it and was worried about how well it would climb. I live in northern California and my avg ride is 1-2k of climbing. So far I've been blown away by how well it climbs. Waaaay better than my tallboy LT. That said, I went with an eagle drivetrain and fox float x2 with a climb switch which can almost turn this beast into an xc bike. It's so versatile, beast in the dh, capable climber going up. So stoked.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Current Wreck owner, former Nomad owner. The bikes are very different IMHO. The Wreck climbs better in terms of traction and efficiency; however, the Nomad frame is nearly 2lbs lighter, and combined with the lighter wheels and tires you can run (275 vs. 29) you'd be able to build a significantly lighter bike. My Wreckoning is hovering around 32lbs with a coil shock, which is not light. That said, the bike climbs amazingly well, particularly on technical trails.

In terms of ride quality, TBH your description of your riding style points toward the Nomad. I found the Nomad to have that very active (too active in my opinion) mid-stroke. Great for vacuuming up repeated hits at mach speeds, but not very poppy or playful at all. I find the Wreck to have a much more progressive feel, with a very active early stroke followed by a nice supportive mid/late stroke. This makes for a very fun and snappy ride that opens up on bigger hits, but still has the taut and responsive ride that I enjoy.

One thing I'd consider if you're already a Nomad owner: try a coil shock, and consider an 11/6 if you have the budget (or maybe the new light weight DB Coil?) The leverage rate of the Nomad works better with a coil than an air shock, and that made a huge difference to my enjoyment of that bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i agree with drew bird and i came from a 15 nomad as well, try the 11 6 first. personally i like the wreck better as to me it suits my riding style better it is simply a much larger bike but doesn't ride like one. i do think though that top speed on the wreck straight line is faster due to the extra length and tires size but the smaller lighter nomad gets put to speed quicker.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Sorry, did you say "...but the smaller lighter nomad gets put to sleep quicker."?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    up to speed quicker.....or put to sleep!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks for the feed back. I was hoping the Wreckoning would be a one bike does it all. But just like cars and trucks there is no one perfect ride. I'm planning on switching up the suspension on my Nomad and I have a good chance of Pro-forming some I-9 wheels and after riding them yesterday at Targhee I am sold. Even if I had to pay msrp I'd strongly consider it, they were that good. Now I just have to decide if I want to buy a DHX2 and hope the weight trade off is worth it, or go with Float X2 and hop that it's as good as the coil.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    sorry man but i do think the wreck is a 1 bike do it all, heavier for most but good for it all. i climbed about 3000 feet today and it was perfect then on the downs it is nuts. only issue is that is really doesn't like going slow....i think the point was more that what you don't like about the nomad may be fixed with a shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Rad View Post
    Thanks for the feed back. I was hoping the Wreckoning would be a one bike does it all. But just like cars and trucks there is no one perfect ride. I'm planning on switching up the suspension on my Nomad and I have a good chance of Pro-forming some I-9 wheels and after riding them yesterday at Targhee I am sold. Even if I had to pay msrp I'd strongly consider it, they were that good. Now I just have to decide if I want to buy a DHX2 and hope the weight trade off is worth it, or go with Float X2 and hop that it's as good as the coil.
    X2 is not as good as a coil on the Nomad. The curve is less than ideal for an air shock. BTW the 11/6 will make it climb better as well despite the extra weight.