Wreckoning Shock Options- Mtbr.com
    Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007

Wreckoning Shock Options

I've got a 1/2 season on my Wreckoning w/ Monarch Plus, and I'm looking to make a change.

I'm running 30% sag with whatever the stock volume spacers are. I use 'open' mode for trail and DH riding (most of my riding). 'trail' for A-Line style flow/jump trails and smoother XC trails. 'pedal' for pavement.

I wish there was a lsc setting in-between 'open' and 'trail' for most of my riding. Something that's more supportive than 'open', but also more responsive than 'trail'.

Options:

1. Send the Monarch to Avalanche for a new lsc assembly and shim stack tune (cheapest)
    2. Double Barrel family: I'd be looking at either db air or db inline coil (somewhat affordable)
    3. Float X2 (holy $$$, but I could manage)
    4. Boutique Ohlins/Push (not spending that much)

What are you experiences with shocks? What have you found that gives you that supportive, but responsive feel?

mtbr member

Wreckoning Shock Options

A member called the canary has tried quite a few shocks on the wreck and has done a couple write ups in the user review thread. An affordable option he liked is the RS Kage tuned by Diaz Suspension Design.
    Last edited by PurpleMtnSlayer; 02-27-2017 at 09:55 PM.

I fix choppers
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMtnSlayer View Post
    A member called the canary has tried quite a few shocks on the wreck and has done a couple write ups in the user review thread. An affordable option he liked is the RS Kage tuned by Diaz Suspension Design.
    I am always on the look out for simple and inexpensive solutions; a good "hack" so to speak. I must know more!!!

Name:  swami-hands.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  39.4 KB

How does one contact the Diaz? Links? Costs? What do they do?

"Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

mtbr member

Wreckoning Shock Options

Im currently in the process of getting mine tuned. I found used Kage rc's for $85-$200. I think the tuning is only $100 plus shipping. I reached them via facebook and the conversation went something like:

DSD - sure we can tune your shock, what spring rates are you running?
    Me- idk, I don't have the shock yet.
    DSD - we focus on spring rates much more than other tuners. Get the shock, find the right spring for you then send us the shock.

What's included in the service/tune:
    -preload collar drilled and tapped for a set screw
    -wiper/ oil seal also replaced with one that has much less friction
    -revalving of the shock itself

I've never worked with them before, but they seem great and I'm excited to see how their different approach to tuning feels different from other tuners work.

They've got some cool products too. Check out The Runt dual chamber air spring:

http://diazsuspensiondesign.com
    Last edited by PurpleMtnSlayer; 03-02-2017 at 07:54 PM.

SISSIF
    DSD Kage Ti still the best of the bunch.

Wreckoning Shock Options-4wrk.jpg

Like the Float X2 a lot when I'm running a lighter build.
    Big Wheels and Fat Skis keep me young.

Robertson
    Another option that may be worth considering is the DVO Topaz. More adjustable and by all reviews a leg above the Monarch, can be found for a touch under 400 if you shop around

I fix choppers
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCanary View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4WRK.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	1124089

I sent DSD a message, but have not heard anything and their FB page hasn't been updated since 2013.

Also, you can find RS Kage R's (no compression adjustment) for mad cheap. Any thoughts on pluses/minuses of going that route?

Also, what source for a Ti coil spring did you use? RCS used to be a decent inexpensive choice, but it doesn't appear they are selling direct any longer. Ti-Springs.com seems okay, but not a deal by any means.

Lastly, having long ridden Cane Creek Double Barrels I may go that route. Evil has not endorsed them, but did tell me that they had them (an Air and a Coil IL) on a couple of bikes including a Wreck and liked it.

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4WRK.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	1124089

Can you describe why you prefer the Kage? How did it ride before the tune?

SISSIF
    It's all in the "Best Shock for Wreckoning" in the 'similar threads' list at the bottom of the page.
    Mainly looking for downhill performance, but the Wrecker pedals pretty well even with active shocks.

SISSIF

Dsd

Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    I sent DSD a message, but have not heard anything and their FB page hasn't been updated since 2013.
    DSD is super busy expanding the business for 2017, new website is in the works.

Also, you can find RS Kage R's (no compression adjustment) for mad cheap. Any thoughts on pluses/minuses of going that route?
    Might work. I'd miss the LSC adjuster.

Also, what source for a Ti coil spring did you use? RCS used to be a decent inexpensive choice, but it doesn't appear they are selling direct any longer. Ti-Springs.com seems okay, but not a deal by any means.
    DSD sourced a Renton spring. Shock rode very well with steel.

Lastly, having long ridden Cane Creek Double Barrels I may go that route. Evil has not endorsed them, but did tell me that they had them (an Air and a Coil IL) on a couple of bikes including a Wreck and liked it.
    CC might be fine. For similar shocks(I've had both on different bikes) I've had better luck with the X2.

I fix choppers
    Thanx, for the response. Having gone back and read what you said here:

Kage Ti, custom DSD tune, 790gm - My second coil ever(11-6 the first). This is the shock you want if you need to fly. Sporty, supple, poppy and supportive with the biggest envelope of any shock I've tried on this bike. Runs much less damped than the 11-6 but still remains very composed on the trail and, when you see something ahead, you just smile, time for lift-off…
    I am very interested in going this route. My biggest reservation with a coil is not weight, but that the bike would become a mess pedaling up and also not want to be as poppy as I'd like. It doesn't sound like that was case.

DSD is super busy expanding the business for 2017, new website is in the works.
    Since I will not be in Durango anytime soon, perhaps I should go old school and call?

Might work. I'd miss the LSC adjuster.
    How about the "Tune (M/M, M/L, etc.)"? Does that matter if DSD is going to customize it?

DSD sourced a Renton spring. Shock rode very well with steel.

CC might be fine. For similar shocks(I've had both on different bikes) I've had better luck with the X2.
    I've a ten year history with Double Barrels and really liked the way they rode on all the bikes I've put them on. In particular, their attributes really made single pivot bikes pedal and respond at a higher level. I'm sure the X2 is swell and I know a couple of guys around here (N Georgia) that had them, but due to our proximity to NC, Cane Creek rules the aftermarket. As you noted in the other thread, My friends and I know many of the Cane Creek people (I-9 too) and having that kind of connection is tough to top.

mtbr member
    I heard a lot of complaints about cc not being user serviceable, slow repair cycle times and that the company is struggling overall. That's all just internet banter so you can take it with a grain of salt.

IME going from the rct3 debonair to a stock Kage made the bike less pedal efficient. But, as thecanary mentioned, the lsc dial is super easy to reach and max out for the climbs. It makes a huge difference as far as pedal bob is concerned.

My stock Kage is m/m tune, which I think gets completely replaced with the DSD piston work. With the stock tune the rear wheel has loads more traction and feels stuck to the ground. But if you're carrying some speed you can pop huge off anything and have a pillowy landing. I really like the controller way the bike boosts off of jumps at speed with the coil.

SISSIF
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    Thanx, for the response. Having gone back and read what you said here:

I am very interested in going this route. My biggest reservation with a coil is not weight, but that the bike would become a mess pedaling up and also not want to be as poppy as I'd like. It doesn't sound like that was case.

Since I will not be in Durango anytime soon, perhaps I should go old school and call?

How about the "Tune (M/M, M/L, etc.)"? Does that matter if DSD is going to customize it?

I've a ten year history with Double Barrels and really liked the way they rode on all the bikes I've put them on. In particular, their attributes really made single pivot bikes pedal and respond at a higher level. I'm sure the X2 is swell and I know a couple of guys around here (N Georgia) that had them, but due to our proximity to NC, Cane Creek rules the aftermarket. As you noted in the other thread, My friends and I know many of the Cane Creek people (I-9 too) and having that kind of connection is tough to top.

Not sure how my preferred setup would translate out east. Pretty plush, active setup. Don't do much tight, punchy, techy stuff. Mostly grind it up, rip it down around here.
    Definitely give DSD a call and let him know what you need.

I fix choppers
    I heard a lot of complaints about cc not being user serviceable, slow repair cycle times and that the company is struggling overall. That's all just internet banter so you can take it with a grain of salt.
    Yeah, not so much. CC took one on the chin with the Inline, but they've basically either repaired or replaced most them. Around here and from the people we know they seem fine. They obviously aren't showing it if they are down dropping new products consistently up to now.

IME going from the rct3 debonair to a stock Kage made the bike less pedal efficient. But, as thecanary mentioned, the lsc dial is super easy to reach and max out for the climbs. It makes a huge difference as far as pedal bob is concerned.
    I have a DB Air CS and honestly I never use the climb switch. It took a few rides and I scored the tune I liked. Other than occasional air pressure changes depending on how fat I'm feeling, I never eff with it. I don't foresee myself reaching to mess with any knobs mid ride.

My stock Kage is m/m tune, which I think gets completely replaced with the DSD piston work. With the stock tune the rear wheel has loads more traction and feels stuck to the ground. But if you're carrying some speed you can pop huge off anything and have a pillowy landing. I really like the controller way the bike boosts off of jumps at speed with the coil.
    Sounds good. I love a simple inexpensive hack and a well tuned Kage could be it. Maybe I'll stick a picture of Nicholas Cage on it.