Wreckoning Rear Tire Clearance- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Wreckoning Rear Tire Clearance

I couldn't find this in a forum search so...Wreckoning rear tire clearance?

I have a 2.35 Nobby Nic on a 35i rim. There's a little room for more height and more width would work. Any more height would certainly limit mud clearing ability.

Has anyone run a Maxxis 2.5WT tire on the rear? I'm specifically interested in the Aggressor or HRII in 29X2.5WT. Maybe the Minion DHRII 29X2.4WT.

I'm guessing the new Maxxis 29X2.6 tires are a definite no-go?

I was thinking I saw that a 2.6 Nobby Nic would fit. Is this true? Any pics?

My anality won't let me mix tire brands so a 2.6 Nobby Nic on the rear with a 2.6-2.8 Magic Mary would be perfect. So far, no Magic Mary I guess.

Thanks for any assistance!

mtbr member
    Sorry can't help, but I'm interested as well. Maxxis tires are typically narrower than labeled, but maybe to size on height. A lot will depend on the rim width. I'm hoping to see if and with how much room the WT tires fit.

Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Has anyone run a Maxxis 2.5WT tire on the rear? I'm specifically interested in the Aggressor or HRII in 29X2.5WT.
    I'm running a 2.5 Aggressor in the rear and it fits fine. I thought I saw someone here running 2.6 Nobby Nics with no issues.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I was running the DHRII 29X2.4WT on 34mm rims with no issues. The Conti Trail King 2.4 did not fit.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmer View Post
    The Conti Trail King 2.4 did not fit.
    This. High volume casings will be your issue. A WTB Breakout 2.3 (high volume casing and measures 2.4") was a surprisingly tight fit.

I had scratches on the inside of the swingarm (down by the BB) from the 8 miles that I rode the Wreckoning.
    Last edited by 06HokieMTB; 12-20-2017 at 01:02 PM.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Ok. Great. Thanks all. It looks like a couple of my Maxxis WT tire options are a go. I just can't decide if it's worth it. The 2.35 Schwalbe tires actually measure 2.4 at the casing and tread. I guess the main advantage is moving to a tire designed for my 35i rims.

Anyone have any clearance pics?

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by bob-o View Post
    I'm running a 2.5 Aggressor in the rear and it fits fine. I thought I saw someone here running 2.6 Nobby Nics with no issues.
    What type of real wheel and inner rim width are you running with your 2.5 Aggressor?

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    I couldn't find this in a forum search so...Wreckoning rear tire clearance?

I have a 2.35 Nobby Nic on a 35i rim. There's a little room for more height and more width would work. Any more height would certainly limit mud clearing ability.

Has anyone run a Maxxis 2.5WT tire on the rear? I'm specifically interested in the Aggressor or HRII in 29X2.5WT. Maybe the Minion DHRII 29X2.4WT.

I'm guessing the new Maxxis 29X2.6 tires are a definite no-go?

I was thinking I saw that a 2.6 Nobby Nic would fit. Is this true? Any pics?

My anality won't let me mix tire brands so a 2.6 Nobby Nic on the rear with a 2.6-2.8 Magic Mary would be perfect. So far, no Magic Mary I guess.

Thanks for any assistance!
    I have the 2.6 Nic up front and it measures a true 2.5 - will check for the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by desertg35c View Post
    What type of real wheel and inner rim width are you running with your 2.5 Aggressor?
    Ibis 935 rim, 29mm IW

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash View Post
    I have the 2.6 Nic up front and it measures a true 2.5 - will check for the rear.
    Iíve been considering giving the NN 2.6 a try on the front of my Wreckoning, what are your impressions of this tire, can you compare it to a 2.5 DHF, or Magic Mary?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    The reason I ask is because I have Nox Kitsuma rims and the internal width is 36mm. On my previous bike and on my new Wreckoning, I've been riding with an Aggressor 2.3 in the rear and really liked it. But, I know Nox doesn't recommend anything less than a 2.4 on their rim and I really want to try the Aggressor WT and see what kind of difference it makes. But, the Aggressor only comes in 2.3 or 2.5. I'm trying to figure out if there is enough rear clearance to put the 2.5 on. With the combination of the rear triangle clearance and the width of my rims, I'm not too sure. I may have to try a different Maxxis tire that comes in 2.4 WT. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by desertg35c View Post
    The reason I ask is because I have Nox Kitsuma rims and the internal width is 36mm. On my previous bike and on my new Wreckoning, I've been riding with an Aggressor 2.3 in the rear and really liked it. But, I know Nox doesn't recommend anything less than a 2.4 on their rim and I really want to try the Aggressor WT and see what kind of difference it makes. But, the Aggressor only comes in 2.3 or 2.5. I'm trying to figure out if there is enough rear clearance to put the 2.5 on. With the combination of the rear triangle clearance and the width of my rims, I'm not too sure. I may have to try a different Maxxis tire that comes in 2.4 WT. Thoughts?
    The 2.5 Aggressor on 36 iw rim is going to be tight, especially at the drive side chain stay (just behind your chainring). The casing might rub there but you can give it a shot and sell the tire if it does't fit.. A 2.3 won;t work as designed on a rim that wide (too squared off) so probably not getting the most out of that tire.

Your options appear to be trying the 2.5, trying a DHR2 2.4, or move to a narrower rim and open up your tire choices.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Wondering if the new rekon 2.6 would fit on a 30mm internal rim? I'm loving the e13s but may try the Rekons to mix things up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm running 2.6 nobby nics on 29mm id noc wheels without any problem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Old thread, but I'm happy to report the Aggressor 2.5Wt fit just fine for mr, i28 rims...fair amount to spare.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG2 View Post
    Old thread, but I'm happy to report the Aggressor 2.5Wt fit just fine for mr, i28 rims...fair amount to spare.
    fitting in a static position has little value. I run that tire on my Wrecker with WR1 outlier hoops (30 internal). on the stand it has aequate clearance. put the bike under flex and a 2.5 aggressor will rub both chainstays. and under full compression it will come in to contact with the seat tube, at least in the XLow setting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tdc_worm View Post
    fitting in a static position has little value. I run that tire on my Wrecker with WR1 outlier hoops (30 internal). on the stand it has aequate clearance. put the bike under flex and a 2.5 aggressor will rub both chainstays. and under full compression it will come in to contact with the seat tube, at least in the XLow setting.
    Ahh. I checked seat tube clearance and there's plenty in regular "Low" setting, and hopefully it won't rub chainstays...looks like ample room and I was previously running 2.4 DHRs, so that'd be just .05" side...but I'll have to report back if I get any rubbing. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG2 View Post
    Ahh. I checked seat tube clearance and there's plenty in regular "Low" setting, and hopefully it won't rub chainstays...looks like ample room and I was previously running 2.4 DHRs, so that'd be just .05" side...but I'll have to report back if I get any rubbing. Thanks!
    good luck haha
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wreckoning Rear Tire Clearance-received_427934657951126.jpg  

Wreckoning Rear Tire Clearance-received_382967599170700.jpg  

Wreckoning Rear Tire Clearance-received_301579617213295.jpg  

Wreckoning Rear Tire Clearance-received_2283685188329945.jpg  

Learning to jump
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tdc_worm View Post
    good luck haha
    Maybe you need to tighten your spikes? That wheel is all over the place.

Anyways, thanks for the pics. Iím applying All Mountain frame protection as the first step in my Offering build and I will definitely be adding more inside the wheel arches of the RT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Evil Following

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CHsurfer View Post
    Maybe you need to tighten your spikes? That wheel is all over the place.
    That must be it. If I crank some more tension into the spokes, I should be able to get away with a 2.8" rear tire, haha! Forget that WR1 has a specific spoke tension that they recommend their wheels to be laced to, and also forget variables in actual tire volume vs listed specs...I've measured a Conti TK 2.4 at 2.65 inches when aired up. The point is this: Evil didnt just pull a number out of their Fourth point of contact when deciding what the max tire would be. And a "flexy wheel" would not explain why the tire gets into the seat tube at full compression.

Do this: Stand beside your bike, left hand on the left grip, chest facing the seat post. Drop the non drive side pedal to 6 o'clock. place your left foot on the pedal and lean the bike slightly away from you. now mash straight down violently on pedal. Observe the amount of flex and twist between the pivot and the rear triangle.

Now imagine you are riding the bike at warp speed and changing direction in rough terrain, hipping a jump in the bike park, or pumping through a g'd out berm and multiply force of the test you just did significantly....bikes flex and twist laterally A LOT more than wheelsets do.

Just like the rest of you, wide tires make my sticker peck up. I am running 2.5s and getting away with it, but not without some consequence. If you are lighter, slower, don't ride jump lines or rough terrain and generally put less stress on the bike, your mileage may vary....

mtbr member
    To answer my own question...

I've been running a 2.5WT Minion DHF on 35i carbon rims for over a year now on the back of my Wreckoning. The tire swelled to 2.5" at the casing and 2.6" at the widest tread blocks. I don't get much rub on the sides but rocks are chipping away at the paint over the arc of the tread. I love the tire and have it paired with a 29X3.0 DHF in a Fox 36 up front.