Wreckoning new shock time thoughts?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Wreckoning new shock time thoughts?

So I am running an float X2 and it is great but it needs a service so I have been thinking about trying something else like a DPX2 or DHX2.

Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with different shocks (other than the X2) on the Wreckoning? Give me some detail if you can as I'm a bike nerd!

PS: I know a Push elevensix would be the top of many peoples list but they are just too expensive (and hard to come by) down here in oz

PPS I weigh about 205 pounds all loaded up and ride pretty aggressively. We have lots of short, steep rocky climbs and descents around here in Sydney with fire roads and tight single track linking it all together.

mtbr member
    Iíve ran the stock monarch and a custom tuned coil shock. I think the difference is pretty massive. The coil is plush and supportive. The air is harsh and wallow by comparison. Air might be slightly more poppy, but Iíve found two turns of preload on the coil does the trick. As an aside upsizing made the bike a lot more poppy, no clue why. The monarch has a climb switch that can be useful. If I were you id get a coil to try something different. I donít think you need an 11-6. Iíd just get something cheap and have it tuned before you bother riding it. A lockout on the coil would be nice. But Iíve found dialing up the LSC all the way prevents any bounce, at least while seated.

nel
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I rode the X2 for about a year but couldn't really get it completely dialled to my satisfaction - it either felt too hard with poor small bump sensitivity or too soft with poor mid stroke support. I would never use full travel. Then I bought a DHX2 and much preferred that. Small bump sensitivity is much better and mid-stroke support is perfect. Also it will use full travel. I'm 218lbs and started on 500lb SLS spring which was too soft and ended up with 525lb spring. I rode the shocks back to back down the same trail and much preferred the plush feeling of the DHX2. It does lose a bit of pop off jumps though - that is the only area the X2 felt better for me. I would say if you are riding a lot of jumps and berms then the X2 is better but if you are riding steep natural rooty, rocky terrain the DHX2 is better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I run a DPX2 and also a DHX2 on my Wreckoning... both are set-up very differently.

The air shock keeps the bike poppy and fun (as a 160mm 29er can be) whereas the coil is monster truck/bike park fun. Rear wheel really tracks close the ground with the coil and bike feels very balanced and neutral.

I have been very surprised with how good the DPX2 is, not that I was expecting it to be a big compromise though... I found it quicker to get set-up than an X2 (which i was running on a previous bike) and in 90% of the riding that I do it is the better shock for me.

Oh yeah - i also live in Sydney (but weigh around 178 pounds)

mtbr member
    I use the DPX2. My ride weight is around 260 and at the time the X2 didn't allow the pressure I would have needed. The DPX2 is "good enough", I've decided. It's better than the stock Monarch. It's trail and climbing modes are much more useable than past Fox offerings. I can use the trail mode to firm up the pedaling and not pay the price with a harsh ride. Then you can use descend mode for a much more plush ride as well. This is the air shock that Evil recommended when I asked where to go...even above the X2.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by momanmatt View Post
    So I am running an float X2 and it is great but it needs a service so I have been thinking about trying something else like a DPX2 or DHX2.

Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with different shocks (other than the X2) on the Wreckoning? Give me some detail if you can as I'm a bike nerd!

PS: I know a Push elevensix would be the top of many peoples list but they are just too expensive (and hard to come by) down here in oz

PPS I weigh about 205 pounds all loaded up and ride pretty aggressively. We have lots of short, steep rocky climbs and descents around here in Sydney with fire roads and tight single track linking it all together.
    Dude I know what you say about the ElevenSix being expensive but they are super easy to get through NS Dynamics and their support has been perfect since I bought my ElevenSix nearly 3 years ago. I know it's a lot of coin but if you can wait a bit and save up it's well worth it. Also given we are both in Sydney and I own a Medium Wreckoning with an ElevenSix onboard I'd be happy to meet you somewhere so you could have a bounce on it.

Cheers Scott.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by momanmatt View Post

I'm in Sydney as well, I'm running a Push on my XL Wreckers, but there are other upgrade options

Get in touch with CaffinBikeCo via Instagram he is an Evil Dealer in Sydney and has access to a few shocks on hand from memory.

I know on his personal Wreckers he has been running an Ext Storia and it has been very surprised how good it is, and quite comparable in performance to the Push for a lower price and lower weight.

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMtnSlayer View Post
    Iíve ran the stock monarch and a custom tuned coil shock. I think the difference is pretty massive. The coil is plush and supportive. The air is harsh and wallow by comparison. Air might be slightly more poppy, but Iíve found two turns of preload on the coil does the trick. As an aside upsizing made the bike a lot more poppy, no clue why. The monarch has a climb switch that can be useful. If I were you id get a coil to try something different. I donít think you need an 11-6. Iíd just get something cheap and have it tuned before you bother riding it. A lockout on the coil would be nice. But Iíve found dialing up the LSC all the way prevents any bounce, at least while seated.
    What coil shock are you running, and who tuned it for you? Iím currently running a RS Vivid coil, and although Iíve been fairly pleased with it, itís due for a service and I figured itís a good time to have it custom tuned.

mtbr member
    Iíve got the RS Kage tuned by DSD. I think it and the vivid coil basically the same shock with the difference being the adjusters. Give Anthony a call or message him on FB. He does amazing work, is cheap and fast. I think I paid a little under $200 for the custom valving, full rebuild and shipping. He also installed a non-marring set screw on the spring collar so it wonít spin at all, thats so you can have zero preload and the collar wonít come loose. I also installed the RWC needle bearing.

https://www.facebook.com/diazsuspensiondesign/

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMtnSlayer View Post
    Iíve got the RS Kage tuned by DSD. I think it and the vivid coil basically the same shock with the difference being the adjusters. Give Anthony a call or message him on FB. He does amazing work, is cheap and fast. I think I paid a little under $200 for the custom valving, full rebuild and shipping. He also installed a non-marring set screw on the spring collar so it wonít spin at all, thats so you can have zero preload and the collar wonít come loose. I also installed the RWC needle bearing.

https://www.facebook.com/diazsuspensiondesign/

Thank you. Iíll look in to this. Iím currently trying to decide between dumping money into a new bike, or doing a bunch of custom tuning to my Wreckoning.

mtbr member
    I recently went through a similar thing. Funny enough I had more interest in my bike from former Wreckoning owners trying to get back on a Wreckoning than others. Itís just an amazing bike.