Wreckoning LB rattling noise near swingarm?- Mtbr.com
    Nat
    mtbr member

Wreckoning LB rattling noise near swingarm?

At speed I'm getting a rattling noise that sounds like something is coming loose near the swingarm. Nothing feels loose in hand so as far as I can tell it might be from these two cables slapping the frame when the swingarm extends? Do any of you experience similar? If so, did you fix it or just learn to live with it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wreckoning LB rattling noise near swingarm?-evil-cables.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Have you tried lowering the shock pressure to see if you can replicate the noise by hand? I had noises too and this helped me to better isolate them. Mine was a ticking when the linkage was moving, but ended up being my derailleur clutch of all things

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1078 View Post
    Have you tried lowering the shock pressure to see if you can replicate the noise by hand? I had noises too and this helped me to better isolate them. Mine was a ticking when the linkage was moving, but ended up being my derailleur clutch of all things
    How did you fix the derailleur clutch noise?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    How did you fix the derailleur clutch noise?
    In my particular case, lubing the clutch and then just moving it back and forth eliminated the noise. I'm guessing there was some dirt stuck somewhere and it got worked out. Haven't had the noise since.

wretch
    You sure it's not the reservoir hitting the cables? That's been an issue with mine and the 11.6. I put soft sided velcro on the reservoir and its eliminated the problem. There are also some different cable solutions you can try. I believe their somewhere in the depths of MTBR / EVIL

Nat
    mtbr member
    In my particular case, lubing the clutch and then just moving it back and forth eliminated the noise. I'm guessing there was some dirt stuck somewhere and it got worked out. Haven't had the noise since.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash View Post
    You sure it's not the reservoir hitting the cables? That's been an issue with mine and the 11.6. I put soft sided velcro on the reservoir and its eliminated the problem. There are also some different cable solutions you can try. I believe their somewhere in the depths of MTBR / EVIL
    I'm not sure what's causing my noise; It could be the reservoir as it only happens when I'm moving pretty fast across rough ground (getting that suspension really moving). I was trying to think of some kind of foam tubing or padding that I could slip over the cables without having to detach and pull the cables all the way out but I like your velcro idea.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Can you describe where you lubed it exactly? Iím still struggling with excessive noise from my bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You don't seem to have the rubber grommet where the cable goes into the stay. Seems like that could be your culprit.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epic View Post
    You don't seem to have the rubber grommet where the cable goes into the stay. Seems like that could be your culprit.
    I wonder. There are no rubber grommets at any of the cable openings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Can you describe where you lubed it exactly? Iím still struggling with excessive noise from my bike.
    There's an easy way to know if it's the derailleur -- just press the arm forward and lock it, then bounce on the suspension. If the noise is still happening, it's not your culprit. That's why my bike was making noise though. Compressing the suspension pushes the derailleur arm forward. Lubing the joint that the arm rotates on, then rocking it back and forth solved my noise.

Nat
    mtbr member
    There's an easy way to know if it's the derailleur -- just press the arm forward and lock it, then bounce on the suspension. If the noise is still happening, it's not your culprit. That's why my bike was making noise though. Compressing the suspension pushes the derailleur arm forward. Lubing the joint that the arm rotates on, then rocking it back and forth solved my noise.
    Good idea. I'll give that a try.

mtbr member
    I wasn't used to the sound/tone chain slap on my Wreckoning when I got it and had no clue what the noise was. It did not sound like any chain slap I had before, maybe because of the rubber guard? Finally realized what it was when it dawned on me it only happened in higher gears going fast. The other noise to watch out for is when a pebble gets stuck in between the front and rear triangle. Usually a loud cracking noise and you wonder if your frame is busted but it's the pebble being smashed or chipping the paint in there. For that one flip the bike over and compress the rear triangle until the pebble fall out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
    I wasn't used to the sound/tone chain slap on my Wreckoning when I got it and had no clue what the noise was. It did not sound like any chain slap I had before, maybe because of the rubber guard? Finally realized what it was when it dawned on me it only happened in higher gears going fast.
    Had a similar noise on my Following MB - fixed it by putting a strip of Velcro tape (soft side up) along the top of the chainstay on top of the guard, including into the bottom of the chain guide. Itís black so itís not too obvious but it really helps quieten things down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk