Wreckonging in X Low mode- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Wreckonging in X Low mode

Hi,

I'm off on a uplift day soon and wondering if it's worth going in X low setting.

The trails I will be riding will be blue and red grades so nothing too full on.

What do you think?

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by neilingle View Post
    Hi,

I'm off on a uplift day soon and wondering if it's worth going in X low setting.

What do you think?

Neil
    Bring a tool and do a few runs in each. Let us know how it goes.

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by neilingle View Post
    Hi,

What do you think?

Neil
    I've run my Wreckoning in X-low a couple times and don't really like how it feels. I think the only time I'll use it is for bike parks with real wide open high speed stuff where stability is good and slower speed handling unimportant

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I ride an insurgent which is obviously different but I can chime in a bit.

Other than the higher propensity to pedal strike, I enjoy x low a lot on dh and park. I personally like the stability and lower feel of the bike. It's definitely more confidence inspiring. I ran 165mm cranks so that has helped with pedal strikes. For a while , I kept it exclusively in x low, but I eventually went back to low for a majority of the trails I ride and swap over for park days.

I would recommend trying it out for sure

I fix choppers
    Most generally prefer the "Low" setting for all-around riding on the Wreckoning. I will offer a dissenting opinion here. I did a number of rides on a Calling demo prior to acquiring my Wreck. The Calling is vastly superior in the "X-Low" setting. It's handling is off the charts. I wanted my Wreck to feel similar.

Nevertheless, I did my first few rides on my Wreck in "Low" setting. It was good, but did not have that crazy locked "in the bike", jet-fighter handling I had become so fond of. However, after going to "X-Low" setting the Wreck is a demon. I do not find it to be an issue on any of my rolling local trails and will leave it in that position. I leave my Monarch wide open too, BTW up and and down. Yeah, you get some pedal strikes, but I'd gotten used to that with my time on the Calling. I may eventually switch to some 165's, but I've having too much fun to really give a rat's a$$ at this point.

Wreckonging in X Low mode-wrecker.jpg

"Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    add me to the people who prefer the x-low setting on my wreckoning. (my previous bike was a Transition Patrol... ...Wrecker in x-low has better pedal clearance than the Patrol).

the Wreckoning really deserves its "W" when it is in the x-low setting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I only ride in x-low. Only took a few days to learn to time pedaling to completely avoid strikes. Worth it.

LCW
    mtbr member
    170's or 165's for cranks?

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

I fix choppers
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    170's or 165's for cranks?
    See my response above, but to reiterate it's not that big of a deal with 170's. If you already ride flats then you'll be used to being mindful of your pedal position. I may go with some 165's at some point, but right now, I'm having too much fun to give a damn.

"Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde