Wrecker durability?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Wrecker durability?

I demoed a LB Weckoning in late June at the Duthie Mountain Bike Festival. Oh My!! What a great riding bike. I want one. Then I saw the thread about Evil Bikes warrenty support. Seems that very few people had much positive to say about their experiences. If one searches the web, there are plenty of less than positive experiances with the Wreckoning. I realize that the interweb is not the best palce to base ones decision about a 5K plus purchase and all the trolls come out to say how bad "whatever" product is. What I am looking for is the experiance of long time Evil bike owners. Are your rear triangles breaking? Is the bike durable or am i going to be seeking crash replacement in a year or less because the cabon is cracked, split or coming apart? Currently I am on a 5 year old carbon Tallboy I have had zero issues with it. I suspect that Santacruz might have the carbon thing down fairly well and I might go ahead and opt for the HTLT instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by potterymouth View Post
    I demoed a LB Weckoning in late June at the Duthie Mountain Bike Festival. Oh My!! What a great riding bike. I want one. Then I saw the thread about Evil Bikes warrenty support. Seems that very few people had much positive to say about their experiences. If one searches the web, there are plenty of less than positive experiances with the Wreckoning. I realize that the interweb is not the best palce to base ones decision about a 5K plus purchase and all the trolls come out to say how bad "whatever" product is. What I am looking for is the experiance of long time Evil bike owners. Are your rear triangles breaking? Is the bike durable or am i going to be seeking crash replacement in a year or less because the cabon is cracked, split or coming apart? Currently I am on a 5 year old carbon Tallboy I have had zero issues with it. I suspect that Santacruz might have the carbon thing down fairly well and I might go ahead and opt for the HTLT instead.
    I donít own a wrecker but Iíve had a Following for three and a half years and itís been and incredibly durable bike. I unfortunately had to do the rash replacement on my main triangle but it was totally my fault and I laid the bike down on the sharpest piece of granite on that particular trail.

Evil CS was great and even Kevin looked at my issue. The frames have been bomber and are made I the VIP factory. The same one Santa Cruz uses where you TB was made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Iíve had my Wreck for almost two years, built it and use it mainly for DH style riding. Not a single problem so far, even all the bearings in the suspension still run perfectly smooth. And I have to say the bike has taken a beating in terms of pretty chunky rock gardens, root carpets and substantial drops to flat.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I owned an Insurgent for two and a half years with zero reliability issues. I raced it hard for two season, rode it in Nepal, New Zealand, and all across the US. It saw quite a few crashes and was always fine. After lots of rock strikes and laying the bike down quite a few times, the rear end had some scratches and resin chipped off of it, but always worked well.

I have nothing but good things to say about their reliability, but it comes at the cost of added weight.

Most of the reliability concerns with Evil came from the Uprising and earlier generations. Everything after the original Insurgent seems to be pretty burly and reliable.