Who's running Race Face cranks on their boost spacing Evil?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Who's running Race Face cranks on their boost spacing Evil?

Do you know if you're running a 134 or 136mm spindle?
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Nobody builds their own bikes lol? Anyone running a 51mm chain line ?

For anyone else wondering you need the 136mm spindle for the offering (52mm chainline) according to Evil.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Good to know. I’m running Raceface Sixc and needed to make a 1mm shim so that it worked properly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    Nobody builds their own bikes lol? Anyone running a 51mm chain line ?

For anyone else wondering you need the 136mm spindle for the offering (52mm chainline) according to Evil.
    Regardless of spindle length, couldn't you just manipulate the chain line with a different offset chainring?

Are you planning on switching out an axle or buying a new crankset?

My Smash has a 143 spindle for its 55 mm chainline, so if I ever switch back to a 51 or 52 chain line I guess I would have to change spindles.

mtbr member
    According to the specifications on the Offering web page, the proper chainline is 51mm. I'm planning on using Race Face Turbine cranks, which have the RF134 spindle. I'll also be using the standard Race Face BB with a 2.5mm spacer on the drive side. This is supposed to yield a 51mm chainline, according to the Crank Q Factors and Chainlines guide put out by Race Face. Fingers crossed, this should be easy and perfect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    According to the specifications on the Offering web page, the proper chainline is 51mm. I'm planning on using Race Face Turbine cranks, which have the RF134 spindle. I'll also be using the standard Race Face BB with a 2.5mm spacer on the drive side. This is supposed to yield a 51mm chainline, according to the Crank Q Factors and Chainlines guide put out by Race Face. Fingers crossed, this should be easy and perfect.
    From memory this is exactly what I did with my Wreckoning. Works fine. No chain guide rub running eagle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    According to Evil customer service you need a 136mm spindle. Do you have your frame already? If you install the BB and measure the width with a micrometer there’s a chart on the web for spindle size from race face... I’d love to know as well. If not I believe spindle kits are $76. I currently have a 134 as well.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    I've got an older pair of SixCs on my Offering. No idea what the spindle length is.

Like Dude I used a couple thin shims between the chainring and BB to center the chainring in the upper guide. Used the same crank on my Calling with the same shims.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    I've got an older pair of SixCs on my Offering. No idea what the spindle length is.

Like Dude I used a couple thin shims between the chainring and BB to center the chainring in the upper guide. Used the same crank on my Calling with the same shims.
    Weird, I'll try giving them a call today to clarify. The email they sent me specifically said 136mm spindle though.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    According to Evil customer service you need a 136mm spindle. Do you have your frame already? If you install the BB and measure the width with a micrometer there’s a chart on the web for spindle size from race face... I’d love to know as well. If not I believe spindle kits are $76. I currently have a 134 as well.
    Still waiting on my frame from Fanatik. It's a bit confusing because that RF guide does say that you need the RF136 spindle for boost. So much misinformation out there on this subject...

mtbr member
    Weird, I'll try giving them a call today to clarify. The email they sent me specifically said 136mm spindle though.
    Is the spindle length etched on the spindle? I can check mine later today and see what I have.

As far as I know my chainring is the standard RF Cinch, not anything boost specific. Kinda figured that's why I needed the shims.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Is the spindle length etched on the spindle? I can check mine later today and see what I have.
    yes it is.

mtbr member
    Yep super confusing guys... I just spoke with Evil (my offering frame will be here friday)

RF's chart says 136 for boost hubs but 134 for 51mm chainline. They looked into it a little bit and seemed pretty sure the 134 should work without issue. I'll find out Friday.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Yep super confusing guys... I just spoke with Evil (my offering frame will be here friday)

RF's chart says 136 for boost hubs but 134 for 51mm chainline. They looked into it a little bit and seemed pretty sure the 134 should work without issue. I'll find out Friday.
    Sweet, that's what I was banking on.

mtbr member
    I never had an issue with my RF cranks with boost rears on any previous frames including Evil bikes. I wrote about this when first building my Offering up. The chain ring was making contact with the frame. I thought I have something wrong, doubled check everything which turned out to be 51mm.

I don't know my spindle length. I am assuming 134.

When noticing the contact, I was also assuming it was the sum of various errors in tolerances that resulted in an issue for me. Calhoun was awesome with his advice in using a shim. I didn't have one so I sanded down a plastic spacer from an old BB and it worked like a charm.

mtbr member
    Did you use the standard 2.5mm spacer on the drive side that's included with the BB? I've got several other spacers too, so I can always adjust accordingly.

mtbr member
    Well I passed on my offering frame.... if someone wants a large black one they should have *one* in stock. I've got something else in the works...
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    I never had an issue with my RF cranks with boost rears on any previous frames including Evil bikes. I wrote about this when first building my Offering up. The chain ring was making contact with the frame. I thought I have something wrong, doubled check everything which turned out to be 51mm.

I don't know my spindle length. I am assuming 134.

When noticing the contact, I was also assuming it was the sum of various errors in tolerances that resulted in an issue for me. Calhoun was awesome with his advice in using a shim. I didn't have one so I sanded down a plastic spacer from an old BB and it worked like a charm.
    What is the difference between a shim and a spacer? Why wouldn't a BB spacer on drive-side be enough?
    Is a shim more precise?

mtbr member
    Who's running Race Face cranks on their boost spacing Evil?-img_4438.jpg
    Not the best photo but it says RF136

and here are the shims I used
    Who's running Race Face cranks on their boost spacing Evil?-img_4436.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CWnSWCO View Post
    What is the difference between a shim and a spacer? Why wouldn't a BB spacer on drive-side be enough?
    Is a shim more precise?
    For my needs a BB spacer would have been too much, the shims I used were very thin. Installing them on the spindle after the BB cup was also a lot easier than taking out the bb cup.

-cabra cadabra

Learning to jump
    Jun 2015
    So, from what I understand, a RF134 spindle with no extra spindle shims and the drive-side 2.5mm bb spacer will give a 51mm chainline, which rubs a bit, so add some thin shims between the BB and Chainring to solve.

The other option is that you get an RF136 spindle. When paired with the same BB and BB spacer as above, and one additional 1mm spacer on each side (according to RF docs) it will give a 52mm chain line, which is recommended by Evil's customer support. This is also the setup that RF proposes for Boost.

My conclusion is that the RF136 is probably the 'correct' solution and the 51mm chain line specified on the website is wrong.

The part that still confuses me is that Calhoun actually had an RF136 and he still needed shims. Tolerances? Maybe the chainline is 52 and a bit. In any event, it sounds like I should have some shims on hand. Where can I find these shims (30mm ID I assume)? Are they included in the BB or the Crank?
    2015 Evil Following

wretch
    Well I passed on my offering frame.... if someone wants a large black one they should have *one* in stock. I've got something else in the works...
    What'd you go with instead?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHsurfer View Post

The part that still confuses me is that Calhoun actually had an RF136 and he still needed shims. Tolerances? Maybe the chainline is 52 and a bit. In any event, it sounds like I should have some shims on hand. Where can I find these shims (30mm ID I assume)? Are they included in the BB or the Crank?
    local bike shop had them on hand

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash View Post
    What'd you go with instead?
    Looks like he got a Ransom
    https://forums.mtbr.com/scott-sports...l#post13872988

-cabra cadabra