Whatís next?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Whatís next?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Whatís next?

Any guesses on whatís next for Evil. The Calling seems to be the oldest bike in the lineup. Will they refresh the geo on that bike? Sure would like a steeper seat tube angle like the offering. Any guesses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning to jump
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Samo831 View Post
    Any guesses on whatís next for Evil. The Calling seems to be the oldest bike in the lineup. Will they refresh the geo on that bike? Sure would like a steeper seat tube angle like the offering. Any guesses?

How about a new DH bike? Of course with a modern steep seat tube angle.

2015 Evil Following

aka bOb
    Hopefully it's not an Evil-E.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The Calling seems to be the oldest bike in the lineup.
    Shooting from the hip here, but I believe the "LB" versions of the Insurgent and Wrecker only updated the carbon layup, water bottle mounts, and color options. In terms of updating geometry, if memory serves, the Insurgent would be the most dated, followed by the Wrecker, then the Calling....

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tdc_worm View Post
    Shooting from the hip here, but I believe the "LB" versions of the Insurgent and Wrecker only updated the carbon layup, water bottle mounts, and color options. In terms of updating geometry, if memory serves, the Insurgent would be the most dated, followed by the Wrecker, then the Calling....
    Definitely. I've had an Insurgent and now a Calling. The Insurgent can really use some love in the STA. The Calling on a 140mm fork seems good, but I wouldn't enjoy it on a longer fork.

I fix choppers
    Kevin and co. have intimated that the geo changes on the Offering will appear over time on their other bikes. Maybe we'll see a dedicated DH sled with their new team, but they appear to be getting along fine with the existing bikes.
    "Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    I would be very surprised if Agassiz would have signed with Evil without a dedicated DH bike coming his way in the short term. My guess is that a DH is "what's next"
    2016 YETI sb6c
    2018 EVIL Calling
    2018 Commencal Meta HT AM
    2013 YETI sb66c
    2011 Rocky Mountain Altitude
    2009 YETI DJ

mtbr member
    Many bikes on sale at the moment. A sign of a refresh for wreckoning insurgent and calling?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hopefully.

mtbr member
    What really needs "revising" in their current lineup? There really isn't a point to revising just for the sake of it. I don't see the point unless there is something really lacking on the frames themselves.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'd bet a Wreckoning refresh is on the way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    What really needs "revising" in their current lineup? There really isn't a point to revising just for the sake of it. I don't see the point unless there is something really lacking on the frames themselves.
    For me it would be steeper seat tube angles. Iím ready to buy a Calling or new Following if they go to 75-76 STA.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    For me it would be steeper seat tube angles. Iím ready to buy a Calling or new Following if they go to 75-76 STA.

Put this on my wish list too. Personally almost ready to get an Offering just for the STA but really just want a Following with a better STA.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Curious, but are you overforking each bike?

Quote Originally Posted by jwick View Post
    Put this on my wish list too. Personally almost ready to get an Offering just for the STA but really just want a Following with a better STA.
    Have you tried both the Following and Offering? For me, the only drawback for the Offering over the following is what comes with a longer wheelbase. More stable, but less snappy on tight turns. I didn't feel any real difference in efficiency. Both bikes get into the air nicely.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1078 View Post

Have you tried both the Following and Offering? For me, the only drawback for the Offering over the following is what comes with a longer wheelbase. More stable, but less snappy on tight turns. I didn't feel any real difference in efficiency. Both bikes get into the air nicely.
    Iíve tried the Following and love it. I own an Insurgent and thatís not leaving the stable any time soon. My only gripe is the STA and honestly its not too bad. At 6í4Ē it does start to get a lot of weight far back for steep climbing and Iím running mine with the fork at 150 in low. Really just looking for a short travel 29er ripper to complement the crusher Insurgent. Other than a couple degrees in the STA the Following would be perfect IMO.

The Offering looks killer if I was sticking to just one bike. Pretty sure Iíd size down with is bike for just the reasons (WB) you mention. The reach and seat tube length look good for me on a large. Iíve tried the long wheelbase thing and it doesnít really work for my local east coast trails. Tight,techy,& rocky is a chore with long wheelbases.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Iíve tried the Following and love it. I own an Insurgent and thatís not leaving the stable any time soon. My only gripe is the STA and honestly its not too bad. At 6í4Ē it does start to get a lot of weight far back for steep climbing and Iím running mine with the fork at 150 in low. Really just looking for a short travel 29er ripper to complement the crusher Insurgent. Other than a couple degrees in the STA the Following would be perfect IMO.

The Offering looks killer if I was sticking to just one bike. Pretty sure Iíd size down with is bike for just the reasons (WB) you mention. The reach and seat tube length look good for me on a large. Iíve tried the long wheelbase thing and it doesnít really work for my local east coast trails. Tight,techy,& rocky is a chore with long wheelbases.

I currently own a V1 Following and an Offering and used to have a V1 Insurgent. The Insurgent rips but just wasn't as fun as the Following to ride. I abandoned the Insurgent for a Sentinel and when EVIL came out with the Offering I switched. The Offering is an absolute blast and is so much more poppy than the Insurgent.

I don't see myself buying the MB although I wish my Following was an XL instead of a large.

Not that anyone asked, Im just chiming in.

Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Ahh yes. The Insurgent STA definitely feels slack. It's such a fun bike though. I agree about the Offering being more of a one bike solution. I did end up sizing down when going from the FMB to the Offering. If you're keeping the Insurgent, it makes more sense to have a shorter travel 29er.

Quote Originally Posted by delarosa View Post
    I currently own a V1 Following and an Offering and used to have a V1 Insurgent. The Insurgent rips but just wasn't as fun as the Following to ride. I abandoned the Insurgent for a Sentinel and when EVIL came out with the Offering I switched. The Offering is an absolute blast and is so much more poppy than the Insurgent.

I don't see myself buying the MB although I wish my Following was an XL instead of a large.

Not that anyone asked, Im just chiming in.

Happy Trails
    Agreed on the poppy comment. Even with a coil, it's pretty poppy compared to the insurgent. The only catch is that I was faster downhill on the insurgent vs the offering. The flip side is that I can also pedal and climb a lot longer on the Offering before I get worn out. It's also easier for me to clean tech with the bigger wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My bet is the Wreckoning is next for an update. 29ers are all the hype so I wouldnít count on a new Insurgent anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1078 View Post

I have the following V1 with a 140 pike, so yeah over forking it. Iíve toyed with dropping it to 130. I love the bike, but a big steeper seat tube angle would make it perfect for me. What Iíd really like is a Calling with a steeper seat tube angle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdapilot View Post
    My bet is the Wreckoning is next for an update. 29ers are all the hype so I wouldnít count on a new Insurgent anytime soon.

Following, Wreck and Calling are all on sale so maybe they all get updated? I read a quote somewhere from someone at Evil that they were going to move the whole line toward the Offering geo, so Iím hoping thatís whatís next.

mtbr member
    Looks like the sale is over. Back to the normal prices for all the frames on their site, and no new bikes.
    Į\_(ツ)_/Į

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have the following V1 with a 140 pike, so yeah over forking it. Iíve toyed with dropping it to 130. I love the bike, but a big steeper seat tube angle would make it perfect for me. What Iíd really like is a Calling with a steeper seat tube angle.

When I had the Following, I went back and forth on the fork size. Have you tried it at 130? I liked how the 140 felt downhill and enjoyed bit of extra BB clearance for tech. But I settled on 130 because it definitely helped on climbing and then made the front end snappier. It just makes it less of a one bike solution if you ride fast chunk. If they made the Following Geo close to the new Ripley, that would be something.

The Calling geo seems like it was more forward thinking when they put it out. But I definitely have to leave mine at 140 in the front.

mtbr member

Have you considered an angle set with the 140 to slacken it a bit and steepen the seat angle?
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+