Is something EVIL.........CALLING? - Page 5- Mtbr.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Was you getting FULL travel when running at 140mm ?

You still running X-LOW now at 150mm ?

Tempted even more now to pull my helm off and on the bench.
    Read a few guy's reverted back to LOW after going 150mm though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Signman62 View Post
    Was you getting FULL travel when running at 140mm ?

You still running X-LOW now at 150mm ?

Tempted even more now to pull my helm off and on the bench.
    Read a few guy's reverted back to LOW after going 150mm though.
    Stayed x low and yes was getting full travel sometimes. Xlow is the way to go!!

MTBPuckerFactor
    Jun 2018

Cool-blue Rhythm 2.5WT Aggressor - Calling Clearance

Quote Originally Posted by mtbpuckerfactor View Post
    Sounds sick! Im setting up my large calling as we speak. Last thing i need are tires. Been contemplating Aggressor 2.5WT out back but im concerned about clearance. Can you take a pic of your rear tire & clearance between the stays? Do you have any rub?
    I went ahead with it...here's what it looks like...Top & bottom. Pretty happy with it! Now I just got to get em durty!
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-img_3582.jpgIs something EVIL.........CALLING?-img_3585.jpg

mtbr member
    Difference between xlow, low, 140 and 150mm fork also depend on your body dimensions and preference. For me, the 150mm and xlow puts me in a position that feels very natural. I noticed this immediately just riding in the front of the house. I like the increased front center and the weight distribution for which my body sits. With the 140mm fork, I felt too far over the front axle. Besides capability etc, just another aspect to consider in bike set-up...ie what feels best. I like this set-up for my pedal trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I'm running 30% sag rear - 25% front.

170mm crank's

140mm travel front, LOW bb.

Get the odd pedal strike in the woods, that is what put me off running X-Low
    Will try it though..just been enjoying my Calling so much I've not bothered yet.

It climbs exceptionally well I think too for the type of bike it is.
    Don't mind loosing some of that if DH stability is increased.

My bike is a Medium with 50mm stem..maybe a Large would have been better.
    Do enjoy the playfulness of the Medium though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Finally pulled my Helm off this weekend..now set at 150mm

Went for a quick ride, climbing felt fine.
    Back home flipped chip to X-LOW.

Just feel more 'in' the bike.

Only had a quick blast in local woods, very slippy ..Magic Mary doin it's thing.
    Can't wait again for play time !!

Dude your post's are like an endorphin shot ... Just love the detail and how well you describe the difference between shock's etc.

Do you still think the coil PUSH is a good move on the Calling or Fox/Cane Creek air is more suited..I know you said you swap between the Fox depending on ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Finally pulled my Helm off this weekend..now set at 150mm

Went for a quick ride, climbing felt fine.
    Back home flipped chip to X-LOW.

Just feel more 'in' the bike.

Only had a quick blast in local woods, very slippy ..Magic Mary doin it's thing.
    Can't wait again for play time !!

Dude your post's are like an endorphin shot ... Just love the detail and how well you describe the difference between shock's etc.

Do you still think the coil PUSH is a good move on the Calling or Fox/Cane Creek air is more suited..I know you said you swap between the Fox depending on ride.
    Which helm do you have?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by kenwood72 View Post
    Which helm do you have?
    Helm air

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Helm air
    I have the coil and all I can say is good things the fork doesnít get a lot of press but it is really good and very well made in my opinion, you like yours?

Also my recommendation is the 11 6 it is just on another level. Quality and consistency

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I have the coil and all I can say is good things the fork doesnít get a lot of press but it is really good and very well made in my opinion, you like yours?

Also my recommendation is the 11 6 it is just on another level. Quality and consistency

After 3 month's riding on the Helm and dropping 14 pounds in weight I am now tinkering with the volume reducer and pressure.

CC advise running 50% of you body weight in lbs.
    I found this was too much.

My setting's

Rider weight 13 stone (182lbs) (82.5kg)
    HELM FORK
    Pressures 80psi (positive chamber) 75psi (negative chamber)
    HSC 0-2 clicks depending on trail
    LSC 2 click's
    Rebound 5 click's
    Ramp-up adjuster 3 out from minimum

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    After 3 month's riding on the Helm and dropping 14 pounds in my weight I am now tinkering with the volume reducer and pressure.

CC advise running 50% of you body weight in lbs.
    I found this was too much.

My setting's

Rider weight 13 stone (182lbs) (82.5kg)
    HELM FORK
    Pressures 80psi (positive chamber) 75psi (negative chamber)
    HSC 0-2 clicks depending on trail
    LSC 2 click's
    Rebound 5 click's
    Ramp-up adjuster 3 out from minimum
    Ok but do you like it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Ok but do you like it?
    Very much but if I was to fit a coil in the rear may consider doing the coil conversion to my Helm air fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    All this LOW v X-LOW and fork travel talk..I asked Phil Kmetz if he was still running Low and 150 travel on his Calling.

He told me he prefer's his Calling in LOW and 140mm
    He even ran that config at Whistler.

I can see how he like's it as he is always popping off something.

As Dude said to me, we all ride different and have our own style.
    Some of us will prefer the super slack Calling some won't.

I'm undecided, after flipping to X-LOW and 150, my initial thought was this is not for me and the type of trail's I ride in the UK.

Yesterday I was out again, have to remember your running a low BB and no pedal strike.

Plus it rail's round berm's..not experienced any front end wash out yet either !

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    All this LOW v X-LOW and fork travel talk..I asked Phil Kmetz if he was still running Low and 150 travel on his Calling.

He told me he prefer's his Calling in LOW and 140mm
    He even ran that config at Whistler.

I can see how he like's it as he is always popping off something.

As Dude said to me, we all ride different and have our own style.
    Some of us will prefer the super slack Calling some won't.

I'm undecided, after flipping to X-LOW and 150, my initial thought was this is not for me and the type of trail's I ride in the UK.

Yesterday I was out again, have to remember your running a low BB and no pedal strike.

Plus it rail's round berm's..not experienced any front end wash out yet either !
    I love x low and 150, makes the bike a little
    More plow but it still moves well left to right. I have been really pushing harder on the front end once I went to 150 with the helm coil and it just sucks it up. As my only bike it checks a lot of boxes though admittedly if I could buy a plow bike I would probably move it back to 140 and low.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I'm keeping it in 150 and X-LOW for now.
    Would like a better shock eventually, was thinking PUSH but may stick with air.
    Last edited by Signman62; 12-11-2018 at 03:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    It reminds me now of my old Honda CRF 450 Supermoto bike..basically a lowered Motocross bike on slicks !!

I'm keeping it in 150 and X-LOW for now.
    Would like a better shock eventually, was thinking PUSH but may stick with air.
    Canít go wrong with push thought the limiting factor on future compatibility is that it is a trunion mount so it defeats he concept of being able to move the shock to another bike unless it too has a trunion Mount. It can be done but push told me it is too expensive to switch. I only rode the calling a few times with the air shock so I donít fully recall how he bike rode previously but to me the 116 on an by evil is a must if you can pay for it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Pain in knees after going X-LOW on my Calling.

Think LOW-140 is more suitable for trail riding personally.
    Also lower back ache..maybe I'm just getting old ;-(

mtbr member

I run a -1 angle headset and set it low. This way I have a steeper sta and a slacker ha. You may want to try that.... And push the seat forward. I'm sure age isn't helping as well though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Age sure don't help but I've not been getting pain in my knees except to odd IT flare.

Going XLOW and 150 defo seems to have caused issues for me, sure I could of dialed it out moving saddle position.

I asked Phil Kmetz and he runs LOW with 140mm and prefers it in his Calling even at Whistler !!! He rides the fr*gg*n wheels off that thing too.

Just flipped my chip back to LOW and had my Helm on the bench and back at 140 for tomorrow's ride.

MTBPuckerFactor
    Jun 2018

Answered The Calling

Oh man...got my first full send in last night on this absolute ripper.
    I don't know if I was just being cocky on it or it actually inspired insane confidence? I think the latter. Like a solid two-beer confidence :P. I crushed sections that would have normally had me reaching for some brake. I was shocked at how stuck to the ground this was, yet I could throw it around and just pop off stuff or change my line in half a second. I now have a personal relationship with terms Ive usually just heard in bike reviews like "planted" & "flickable".

Once i adjusted my saddle angle & raised my dropper, this thing climbs like a champ. Ill need to take it on some tech-ier climbs, but the little punchy stuff Sandy Ridge presents were no problem and super fun. Again, I could just change my line on a dime if i needed to fix a bad choice.

Ill go back and detail my shock settings all around, once its totally dialed, but man, just setting the fork and rear with the factory recommendations, I don't think i wanna touch it. This bike feels so good man.

I've got a couple minor things to do...gotta tidy up/trim up my brake cables (& probably have to bleed them once i cut my housing) & figure out how to get rid of the creak in my rear shock. Any suggestions?

Here's my setup: 5'10, 170lb w/gear 30" inseam
    Evil Calling - Large
    Fox 36 150 HSC/LSC 2018
    Fox Transfer 125
    Eagle GX
    Code RSC
    Deity T-Mo Carbon Bar 760
    Deity Copperhead stem 50
    Deity flat pedals
    DT XM481 hoops
    DT 350 w 54tooth ratchet upgrade
    Maxxis 2.5WT DHF 3C EXO Maxxgrip
    Maxxis 2.5WT Aggressor 3C EXO Maxxgrip
    Hope 180mm Rotors
    Raceface Turbine 170 Cranks
    OneUp oval 32t chainring & underbash
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-img_3743.jpg
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-img_3742.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Looking good..

I'm running 30% sag rear/ 20 % front geared.
    At 185lb geared I have 230psi in the Super Deluxe and running rebound midway.

I'll revisited X-LOW and 150 again defo.
    Certainly for bike park.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Oh man...got my first full send in last night on this absolute ripper.
    I don't know if I was just being cocky on it or it actually inspired insane confidence? I think the latter. Like a solid two-beer confidence :P. I crushed sections that would have normally had me reaching for some brake. I was shocked at how stuck to the ground this was, yet I could throw it around and just pop off stuff or change my line in half a second. I now have a personal relationship with terms Ive usually just heard in bike reviews like "planted" & "flickable".

Once i adjusted my saddle angle & raised my dropper, this thing climbs like a champ. Ill need to take it on some tech-ier climbs, but the little punchy stuff Sandy Ridge presents were no problem and super fun. Again, I could just change my line on a dime if i needed to fix a bad choice.

Ill go back and detail my shock settings all around, once its totally dialed, but man, just setting the fork and rear with the factory recommendations, I don't think i wanna touch it. This bike feels so good man.

I've got a couple minor things to do...gotta tidy up/trim up my brake cables (& probably have to bleed them once i cut my housing) & figure out how to get rid of the creak in my rear shock. Any suggestions?

Here's my setup: 5'10, 170lb w/gear 30" inseam
    Evil Calling - Large
    Fox 36 150 HSC/LSC 2018
    Fox Transfer 125
    Eagle GX
    Code RSC
    Deity T-Mo Carbon Bar 760
    Deity Copperhead stem 50
    Deity flat pedals
    DT XM481 hoops
    DT 350 w 54tooth ratchet upgrade
    Maxxis 2.5WT DHF 3C EXO Maxxgrip
    Maxxis 2.5WT Aggressor 3C EXO Maxxgrip
    Hope 180mm Rotors
    Raceface Turbine 170 Cranks
    OneUp oval 32t chainring & underbash
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3743.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	168.6 KB 
ID:	1218287

Name:	IMG_3742.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	175.7 KB 
ID:	1218288
    looks good! I am old too but xlow and 150 is the way to go, makes the bike so much faster and more capable, you can just smash it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Yea that is great but lot's of tight punchy climb's on my local trail's and root's are an issue in XLOW even with my Deity Bladerunners.

Plus some long draggy climb's..I was shocked how well the Calling climbs.
    Shock mid setting, get on the front of the tilted saddle and plod away.

Defo harder work in XLOW and 150.
    I need a bigger bike as well as the Calling really. Job Done !

Bodhisattva
    I've played around with various configurations.

LOW, 150 fork, PUSH 11.6, PUSH ACS in my fork and 150 dropper and 2.5-2.6 rubber on my medium is sublime

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Dude summed this X-LOW thing up with this.

Difference between xlow, low, 140 and 150mm fork also depend on your body dimensions and preference. For me, the 150mm and xlow puts me in a position that feels very natural. I noticed this immediately just riding in the front of the house. I like the increased front center and the weight distribution for which my body sits. With the 140mm fork, I felt too far over the front axle. Besides capability etc, just another aspect to consider in bike set-up...ie what feels best. I like this set-up for my pedal trails.

MTBPuckerFactor
    Jun 2018
    looks good! I am old too but xlow and 150 is the way to go, makes the bike so much faster and more capable, you can just smash it.
    Thanks! Im probably gonna run it in low for a while & change things up later after i give the business.

Anyone have any creaks in their rear linkage? I've been hesitant to take a wrench to them yet. Think it's as simple as pulling them out and greasing them up a bit?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks! Im probably gonna run it in low for a while & change things up later after i give the business.

Anyone have any creaks in their rear linkage? I've been hesitant to take a wrench to them yet. Think it's as simple as pulling them out and greasing them up a bit?
    your bike seems too new to have the suspension creaking. I would check the der hanger.

MTBPuckerFactor
    Jun 2018
    It's definitely coming from the rear shock mounts. Probably gonna have to back them out and apply some grease. A read a few of the same complaints.

mtbr member
    mtbpuckerfac - Always a lot of shock and fork talk on this thread... Can you let us know your settings?

• I'm the exact same weight so would be interested in the PSI for shock/fork.
    • Also always looking for advice on the LSC/HSC on the Fox 36...
    • Is that water bottle or tool container? If tool, what brand?
    • A little grease on the rear linkage goes a long way a the tolerance is tight to the frame. Did mine a year ago and still smooth and noiseless.
    Last edited by Halfabrain; 09-28-2018 at 09:33 PM.

MTBPuckerFactor
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfabrain View Post
    mtbpuckerfac - Always a lot of shock and fork talk on this thread... Can you let use know your settings?

• I'm the exact same weight so would be interested in the PSI for shock/fork.
    • Also always looking for advice on the LSC/HSC on the Fox 36...
    • Is that water bottle or tool container? If tool, what brand?
    • A little grease on the rear linkage goes a long way a the tolerance is tight to the frame. Did mine a year ago and still smooth and noiseless.
    I'll have to check PSI & Clicks, but I just used the guide defauts on the Fox site for my fork.

Here's the tool keg...Im not 100% on it yet. It's nice tho. Comes with a neoprene sock inside to keep things quiet. Pretty roomy too.
    https://tinyurl.com/yc9xoooe

As for the creak...Evil just told me a number of lower shock bolts went out that were slightly out of tolerance, so theyre sending me a new one free of charge, so thats cool.

PV

mtbr member
    As for the creak...Evil just told me a number of lower shock bolts went out that were slightly out of tolerance, so theyre sending me a new one free of charge, so thats cool.
    PV
    When you get the new lower shock boot grease it up and torque it to spec. Then pull the top shock bolts and all the suspension and flip chip bolts, clean them, grease them and torque them to spec. Donít over torque them, the AL bolts will break if youíre ham fisted with them. This will keep it all quiet and check them when cleaning the bike.
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Looking for some input on stem lengths. I'm looking at building, or having built, a calling.
    I'm 5'8 and will be going with a medium. I can't decide if I should go with a 35 or 50 mm length stem. Anyone in this same boat with some feedback? Or should I just try one and adjust if needed?

Also looking for rec's for what stem to use. I'm currently looking at an Anvl that is 50mm, they don't have any 35mm in red for the original. I'm also looking at a Hope in red 35mm. Any feedback on these or rec's on other brands? I do want it to be available in red.

This is my first full suspension and first build, so I'm kind of flying blind. Thanks for helping a noob out.

mtbr member
    Iím 5í7Ē running 35 mm stem 760 mm bars. Medium frame Iíve got carbon bars and stem, not really a lot of difference with good alloy bars and stems except for $$$. Most shops will swap out stems. Is started with 50s felt perfect with 35s
    Four wheels move my body Two wheels move my soul

mtbr member
    I have been waiting for a 62mm Cane Creek 110 headset, and I see here that this guy has one! https://www.bikemag.com/gear/mountai...-the-offering/

I can't find one to buy though, although I did find a Cane Creek 40 62mm which must be new.. maybe the 110 isn't far off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bionic_Hipster View Post
    Looking for some input on stem lengths. I'm looking at building, or having built, a calling.
    I'm 5'8 and will be going with a medium. I can't decide if I should go with a 35 or 50 mm length stem. Anyone in this same boat with some feedback? Or should I just try one and adjust if needed?

Also looking for rec's for what stem to use. I'm currently looking at an Anvl that is 50mm, they don't have any 35mm in red for the original. I'm also looking at a Hope in red 35mm. Any feedback on these or rec's on other brands? I do want it to be available in red.

This is my first full suspension and first build, so I'm kind of flying blind. Thanks for helping a noob out.
    I'm 5' 8" and on an medium, mine came with a 35mm and I swapped to a 50mm. For me it was far better, as I'm more torso than legs.

Stucco Bucket
    Goldie Hawn, Amanda Knox, or dirty Burt Reynolds?
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-img_20181002_185358740_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl View Post
    Goldie Hawn, Amanda Knox, or dirty Burt Reynolds?

Name:	IMG_20181002_185358740_HDR.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	1218894
    Dirty Burt

mtbr member

Night Rain Oval plus RF Cinch PIA

Not really Calling specific, but it was also approx. 1 year anniversary on my 2017...

Bunch of firsts today:

• First night ride of the season. Found some time after work and fired up the lights...almost forgot how much fun it is! Anyone in the 95018 area want to do some laps, shoot me a PM.

• First rain (sort of) of the year. Dampened the dust and that was about it, but it sure feels great.

• First ride on the AbsoluteBlack Oval 32T...pretty damn cool! If its good enough for Phil Kmetz, then I'm convinced. Didn't notice much at first then hit some short punchy climbs...much smoother cadence and consistent pedal pressure. My first bike was a Trek 850 with Biopace circa 1989!

Vent:

Have Raceface Cinch cranks...hate the crank bolt retaining nut (RF calls it the Cinch Puller Cap) with a passion. Even bought the special nut for the hex to fit, still a pain in the ass. They could have easily made it with a flat or slighty rounded cap to add another 1-2mm and you would never know the difference except there would actually be enough material to get a lock on it. I don't see any reason for the 1mm of countersink. Some ridiculous torque recommendation as well (20nM?) = no chance. Recommend grease on the threads and hand tight. Any others with issues?

Name:  Screenshot_003.png
Views: 2496
Size:  66.7 KB

Name:  Screenshot_004.png
Views: 2525
Size:  55.5 KB

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Phil Kmetz is running a Rotor Hawk.

You have 3 option's to choose when mounting the ring on that crankset.
    Phil was running the most subtle setting like myself.

I fitted mine and only really noticed it on the first few initial pedal strokes.
    Since then it's been a great benefit for both climbing and my aging knees.

Only when I jump on a friends bike with regular round ring do I now think ..hey this feels odd. Tempted to try the more aggressive setting one day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Phil Kmetz is running a Rotor Hawk.

You have 3 option's to choose when mounting the ring on that crankset.
    Phil was running the most subtle setting like myself.

I fitted mine and only really noticed it on the first few initial pedal strokes.
    Since then it's been a great benefit for both climbing and my aging knees.

Only when I jump on a friends bike with regular round ring do I now think ..hey this feels odd. Tempted to try the more aggressive setting one day.
    Who cares what Phil Kmetz is doing. Why do you reference Phil Kmetz in every single one of your posts? It's bizarre.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jwren00 View Post
    Who cares what Phil Kmetz is doing. Why do you reference Phil Kmetz in every single one of your posts? It's bizarre.
    Because the guy mentioned Phil and the Oval c/ring in his post, obviously
    matter's to him.

It's unusual in that you can alter the Rotor Hawk as it has exclusive OCP.
    Thought if worth mentioning to him.

I don't mention Phil in EVERY one of my post's and if I did WTF has it got to do with you..get a life FFS

Phil Kmetz is THE reason I bought my Calling though.

Live and let live

First ride on the AbsoluteBlack Oval 32T...pretty damn cool! If its good enough for Phil Kmetz, then I'm convinced. Didn't notice much at first then hit some short punchy climbs...much smoother cadence and consistent pedal pressure. My first bike was a Trek 850 with Biopace circa 1989!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ha ha funny! seems odd to me too! Maybe you should get a PM tattoo!!

Bodhisattva
    Blasphemy !!!!!

Moderator....please delete posts lacking reference to Phil Kmetz

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    Blasphemy !!!!!

Moderator....please delete posts lacking reference to Phil Kmetz
    Hey anyone know what Phil Metz is thinking today?

mtbr member

I had that problem too,I had discal ernia surgery a few years ago and I'm very sensitive to the position in the bike,I figured it out that my problem was the slack seat angle on my Insurgent (I know it's not Calling related but can help this guy),try to run the bike in the Low position with the saddle in the most forward position that you can use,it helped me a lot,I came from a Banshee Spitfire that was easier on my back because of the steep seat angle.Hope it helps.

C__Corax
    Sep 2009
    Calling has replaced my insurgent as my favorite bike. 2 years on the insurgent( a medium then a large) and I just can't get enough of the calling. 150 fork, in x-low. Up, down, jumps, and cutties, from BC to the U.P. to tame Midwest. I find it hard justifying love for an inanimate object but I say damn this bike is rad! got in in May and almost 1k miles later it's the bike I always grab. Cheers to the calling!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

So true

Quote Originally Posted by DOCRIGID View Post
    Calling has replaced my insurgent as my favorite bike. 2 years on the insurgent( a medium then a large) and I just can't get enough of the calling. 150 fork, in x-low. Up, down, jumps, and cutties, from BC to the U.P. to tame Midwest. I find it hard justifying love for an inanimate object but I say damn this bike is rad! got in in May and almost 1k miles later it's the bike I always grab. Cheers to the calling!
    I am right there with you I always want to buy new bikes but the calling truly has me thinking I will regret anything I buy. I have had a lot of new bikes over the past couple years and nothing compares at 150 in xlow with and 116 and a coil fork it just doesnít get any better. Every time i smash it into a rock garden at high speed I donít understand how a 130 bike just handles it. I do want to try the offering cuz I think it may be the next level calling but I really think right now the calling is the perfect bike!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I am always concerned with the 130 in back, being a bigger dude (6ft on a good day, 220).

So no issues with the 130 in back? I hear Evil's suspension is like yeti, it makes it feel like there is more than 130 in back.

mtbr member
    I 100% agree with you guys. By no means am I abandoning the Calling, the bike is awesome and has been my go-to bike for so long because of fun factor and capability. It fits like a glove. One thing I learned from riding the Offering and I noticed this over the summer, I think my Fox 36 fork is dead. I just purchased the GRIP2 damper for the Calling fork. I think part of the riding light feeling of the Offering is the fork. The other addition that I did recently, was increased the spring rate on the 11-6. I was always right on the line and initially went with the lighter spring, but added the heavier spring makes the Calling feel like a rocket. I can pedal the Calling with the 11-6 better than any air shock! I get the GRIP2 on Friday!

MTBPuckerFactor
    Jun 2018
    Hey guys, odd request here...Im trying to dial in what appears to be a rather sensitive setup for my GX Eagle & smooth shifting. I know there are many contributing factors to account for efficient shifting, but I think i need to just make sure my bases are covered at a minimum. Question is (for those that this applies) how long is your chain? Anyone willing to count links?

I followed SRAMs guide but I may have got it wrong given that i measured it with my OneUp oval. ( i read elsewhere i needed to measure it with the crank at the 4:00 position. I dont think i did that.

My setup:
    Large Calling
    32T Oval CR
    Eagle GX derailleur & chain

I have the b-guide tool, but i also learned i should probably adjust it while at sag, to account for the chain tension. My shifting isnt bad, its just not super smooth in the middle of the rings....and depending on which way the wind blows, my lowest (smallest cog) sometimes doesn't get any action...yeah yeah. limiter adjustments, cable tension etc. I just need to make sure my chain is the right length for starters.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post
    I am always concerned with the 130 in back, being a bigger dude (6ft on a good day, 220).

So no issues with the 130 in back? I hear Evil's suspension is like yeti, it makes it feel like there is more than 130 in back.
    I can only comment on the FMB and the Insurgent suspensions specifically. My riding weight as been as high as 210 on the FMB with 120mm and it did just fine. At worst, you'd want to use more volume spacers. Owning both Yetis and Evils, I'd say the DELTA feels deeper, more playful (I'm not going to use the word "poppy"), and more forgiving than Switch Inifinity.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post

none at all, i am 215ish and never have an issue and I know I ride pretty hard. I smash more than anything and just ride straight through rock gardens and always come away going thinking I cant believe how much a small travel bike can do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Anybody with a Small frame - does a water bottle fit in there? Any bottle size restrictions? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominator13 View Post
    Yeah, you look pretty good shredding here.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/guy-ri...ter-video.html
    Is that guy Dude!? Wowwww!!!

Dom and Dude! I really appreciate your comments here at the Evil forum you should have a YouTube channel...!!!

ZEN RIDER!
    Figured after a summer+ I should post up a pic.
    Bringing back the 80's
    Need an internal dropper post and more aggressive tires.
    I'll upgrade the cranks next season.
    The Project 321 hubs are sweeet! Love the engagement and they roll fast and the quiet hubs are a nice change from the Hope's I usually roll with.
    The Hope brakes are amazing once you dial them in to preference. I laugh now when I hear someone say anything about the big S having modulation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-calling.jpg  

Life in every breath

MTBPuckerFactor
    Jun 2018
    none at all, i am 215ish and never have an issue and I know I ride pretty hard. I smash more than anything and just ride straight through rock gardens and always come away going thinking I cant believe how much a small travel bike can do.
    yo man, we gonna head up to Cold Creek tomorrow. Parking lot by 4pm probably. We'll shuttle up and hit the new Trail 6 or CCT. Let me know if you can get a pedal in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    just saw this sadly i cant gotta watch my daughter play volleyball! thanks for the invite

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    I 100% agree with you guys. By no means am I abandoning the Calling, the bike is awesome and has been my go-to bike for so long because of fun factor and capability. It fits like a glove. One thing I learned from riding the Offering and I noticed this over the summer, I think my Fox 36 fork is dead. I just purchased the GRIP2 damper for the Calling fork. I think part of the riding light feeling of the Offering is the fork. The other addition that I did recently, was increased the spring rate on the 11-6. I was always right on the line and initially went with the lighter spring, but added the heavier spring makes the Calling feel like a rocket. I can pedal the Calling with the 11-6 better than any air shock! I get the GRIP2 on Friday!
    Is the 11-6 a permanent fixture on the Calling now then ?
    Love one for mine..called around trying to find one in the UK and dealer's trying to sell me the Ohlins.

MTBPuckerFactor
    Jun 2018

What's Your Bar Length?

I'm LOVING my Calling...we just fit.

I'm looking for some insight into changing my bar out. I don't necessarily have any issues or things i think i need to correct, just wondering how different bar characteristics effect your style of riding. If you've made a change to your bar length or rise, how did it impact your ride? carbon or al?

ZEN RIDER!
    I prefer higher rise bars and no to minimal spacers on my stack. It just seems better than having a bunch of spacers and a low profile bar and it doesn't look goofy and make me think its wobbly.
    I went with a carbon Renthal Fat bar and a 30mm rise. It felt great from the get go. I thought about a 20mm low profile bar, but in the end it just felt spot on.
    Carbon bars feel better as they add dampening.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Low stack and tall bars also keep your reach longer!

mtbr member
    Probably what feels best. Iím riding enve low 780mm bars low stack enve 35mm stem . Iím 5í7Ē on a medium calling for the last year or so. Iíve tried different bars,stems, and different sweeps

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    PUSH 11.6 owner's.

Care to share your geared up weight and what spring rate you ride.

Any extra info appreciated.

New PUSH owner here !

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    have you called PUSH? they are the true experts, I have had 3 11 6s and every one has been perfect by their recommendation.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    E.mailed TF Tuned in UK, PUSH agent.

I wanted to hear from Calling owner's on here too though.

I'm 88kg fully kitted , water, spare tube, tool's etc.

TfF Tuned advised

575lb x 2.25Ē

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Dude, suppose the Calling is at the back of the garage these day's ..

How is the Grip 2 and are you happy with the heavier spring ?

Stucco Bucket
    Named her Durty Burt Reynolds

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-1.jpg

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-2.jpg

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-3.jpg

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-4.jpg

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-5.jpg

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-6.jpg

ZEN RIDER!
    Nice!
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    So I see tall people are sizing down which is the opposite impression I got after riding a bunch of bikes in the parking lot of my local bike shop. Tried 5 brands and multiple sizes and the Evil Calling in Large just seemed to fit. I wanted to take it home right then and there. They however didn't have a medium in that bike. I had intended to go demo one that day but the wind had picked up and it was miserable outside. I plan to go on the shop ride tomorrow and may demo it then.

I am 5'7 and have been riding a Large Specialized Camber which is a bit big but can make it work. I also have a Kona Precept in Large but is smaller then the Camber which feels good size wise but doesn't grip the trail as well as the Camber. I was cramped on most of the mediums I tried. Thinking I have a long torso. It seems to be a balance between stand over height and cockpit room for me. After reading all the comments I was taking a 2nd look at everything and going to try to see if anywhere has a medium to try. I want to get it right before spending that much and not just get another good deal.

MTBPuckerFactor
    Jun 2018
    I'm 5'10". On paper I'm a MED or right on the cusp of LG. I felt too cramped on a MED calling, so I sized up and it feels just right. @ 5'7" I'd definitely see if you can find a MED to demo.

The Calling is designed to be thrown around. I think you'd lose that playfulness on a LG, imo. Welcome to the party, pal!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    5'-10''

32'' inseam

50mm stem

Evil Calling ..Medium

Bodhisattva
    I'm 5'10". On paper I'm a MED or right on the cusp of LG. I felt too cramped on a MED calling, so I sized up and it feels just right. @ 5'7" I'd definitely see if you can find a MED to demo.

The Calling is designed to be thrown around. I think you'd lose that playfulness on a LG, imo. Welcome to the party, pal!
    5'7". Definitely a medium

I"m 5'9" and ride the medium. I rode my friend's large (he's 5'11") - it was way too ponderous and felt like a completely different bike descending.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by abaughman View Post
    I am 5'7 and have been riding a Large Specialized Camber which is a bit big but can make it work. I also have a Kona Precept in Large but is smaller then the Camber which feels good size wise but doesn't grip the trail as well as the Camber. I was cramped on most of the mediums I tried. Thinking I have a long torso. It seems to be a balance between stand over height and cockpit room for me. After reading all the comments I was taking a 2nd look at everything and going to try to see if anywhere has a medium to try. I want to get it right before spending that much and not just get another good deal.
    I'm 5'10" on a medium. 32" inseam. It's perfect for me.

I have a friend who is the same height and always goes with a Large. We switched bikes at the end of a ride this week and he is now planning to sell his Insurgent and buy a Calling due to have fun it felt. After pointing out that part of that feeling might have been that my bike is a Medium, he is now reconsidering his sizing.

At 5'7" I think your most probably a medium, but in the end it's what you are comfortable on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    So, I'm new to the Calling club, but this bike is fantastic. In trying to satisfy my sickness to find the perfect bike, I decided to take a chance on building a Calling to replace my favorite bike the Yeti SB5. The Calling gave me the longer reach/shorter stays I was looking for and after riding a friend's Insurgent for awhile, I really liked the DELTA suspension.

It took a few rides to get used to a slightly different riding style, but now I'm definitely sold on keeping the Calling. Coming from Yetis and Pivots, they don't need as much rider input to ride well. However, they don't provide as much agility and fun either. The Calling just corners better than anything I've ridden and is super easy to hop. After swapping the SD shock for a DPX2, the bike has a great pedaling platform and feels a little more controlled in the back end. I see a coil in the future sometime though just since I think the DELTA works so well with them.

Now, just wondering how the Offering rides...

mtbr member
    Has anyone fit a 185 BikeYoke revive post in a large frame? A while ago I measured 13-inches (330 mm)from seat tube collar to the internal routing tube in the seat tube. I then have 10 1/8 inches (257 mm) from the top of the seat tube collar to the middle of the seat tails. The overall length of the Revive is 516.2 mm, so I am thinking it will fit. Just curious if anyone has this post in 185mm?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Yup I run a 185 in my large Calling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xhellcat View Post
    Yup I run a 185 in my large Calling

How tall are you? Guess I should have asked that as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Around 6í1Ē maybe a little more.

mtbr member
    May 2018

Large Evil calling with 185mm bike yoke post

I also have a Large calling with 185mm Revive. I am 6' With 34" inseam.
    -With the post all the way down it has about 1/2" left sticking up
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-bike-yoke-post-all-way-down.jpg
    -Measurement from middle of bottom bracket to top of my seat while seat post all the way down came out to around 29 5/8" with my chromag trailmaster seat, which i feel is a taller seat.
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-bike-yoke-seat-height.jpg
    -My Seat Height
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-bike-yoke-my-seat-height.jpg
    I hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Antix View Post
    I also have a Large calling with 185mm Revive. I am 6' With 34" inseam.
    -With the post all the way down it has about 1/2" left sticking up

Name:	bike yoke post all the way down.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	1233289
    -Measurement from middle of bottom bracket to top of my seat while seat post all the way down came out to around 29 5/8" with my chromag trailmaster seat, which i feel is a taller seat.

Name:	bike yoke seat height.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	1233290
    -My Seat Height

Name:	bike yoke my seat height.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	1233291
    I hope this helps.
    Thanks trail antix. Iím 5í11Ē with a 33Ē inseam and with this information maybe I should just go with 160 mm drop to be safe.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Do you have a bike to measure your seat height from center of BB to top of your saddle. With 33" inseam I think you would be able to make it work.

mtbr member

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Antix View Post
    Do you have a bike to measure your seat height from center of BB to top of your saddle. With 33" inseam I think you would be able to make it work.
    Funny. I just measure my bike and I got 30Ē from middle of BB to top of my seat. I currently have a CB Highline 125 mm and a fabric scoop saddle.

Iíve been looking around and the OneUp dropper is half the price. I can already use my dropper lever and cable from my Highline. Iím going to have to think about this.
    Last edited by jdcatnau; 01-13-2019 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Added comment abou OneUp dropper

mtbr member
    May 2018
    The 29 5/8" was measured with post all the way down. I would Imagine you would be fine. Also crank arm length and pedal thickness would play small part.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Size me up!

Calling all owners ;-)

Been reading this thread from the beginning (im up to page 7 now). And trying to find the right size for me, and it gets a bit blurry the more I read, so hopefully you can help me.

I made a picture with my existing Commencal Meta AM V4 geo, and The Calling Geo in the same picture. Color code for even easier compare

I definately don't want a shorter bike, but don't nessesary feel I need it longer. My riding is mainly Trail/Singletrack (danish "flat" terrain) and Freeriding (lots of jumps)... and some occational Park visits (2-3 times a year).

I am 186cm (6.1 feet) / 89cm inseam (35 inches) / 50ish (20 inches) arm length.

Thanks in advance!

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-metav4-thecalling.jpg

mtbr member
    Iím 189cm on a XL with a 40mm stem and 760 bars with the seat slammed forward to make up for the fairly slack seat angle, I feel like a bit more reach would be a good thing for me

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by pablobell View Post
    Iím 189cm on a XL with a 40mm stem and 760 bars with the seat slammed forward to make up for the fairly slack seat angle, I feel like a bit more reach would be a good thing for me
    Thanks for adding your thought.

What kind of terrain do you ride, where you feel the need for the more reach?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklemac View Post
    Calling all owners ;-)

Been reading this thread from the beginning (im up to page 7 now). And trying to find the right size for me, and it gets a bit blurry the more I read, so hopefully you can help me.

I made a picture with my existing Commencal Meta AM V4 geo, and The Calling Geo in the same picture. Color code for even easier compare

I definately don't want a shorter bike, but don't nessesary feel I need it longer. My riding is mainly Trail/Singletrack (danish "flat" terrain) and Freeriding (lots of jumps)... and some occational Park visits (2-3 times a year).

I am 186cm (6.1 feet) / 89cm inseam (35 inches) / 50ish (20 inches) arm length.

Thanks in advance!

Name:	metav4-TheCalling.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	193.7 KB 
ID:	1234052
    I'm 5'9" (175cm) on a large calling with a 32 mm stem, 150 fox 36, 150 fox transfer post, wouldn't want it any smaller for aggressive riding, the bike absolutely rips! I'd suggest you try to demo but if you can't I'd say XL. Compare the Geo with the new Offering and the suggested rider heights for that bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by dalday View Post
    I'm 5'9" (175cm) on a large calling with a 32 mm stem, 150 fox 36, 150 fox transfer post, wouldn't want it any smaller for aggressive riding, the bike absolutely rips! I'd suggest you try to demo but if you can't I'd say XL. Compare the Geo with the new Offering and the suggested rider heights for that bike.
    Good input Dalday I have bought a temporary bike that will hold me over for 2019, as Evil doesn't have any Demo's available until Summer.

So we are doing a roadtrip this summer through europe to see if we can hit a place where they have them demo'ed

I am a bit wierd now considering if I wait another year for this build as the frame will be 3 years old. So hopefully (crossing fingers), it will be updated (perhaps a light frame? but almost same geo)....

mtbr member
    Ha! A light Evil!

mtbr member
    I don't think Evil even tries to make their frames very light. After their breakage issues early on, they seemed to err on the side of strong and burly rather than saving grams. They do ride deceptively light though, probably because the shock and linkage (heaviest parts of the fame) sit lower than in most frames and lower then center of gravity. My SB6 is about 3lbs lighter than my Evil Calling but it feels substantially heavier.
    2019 EVIL Insurgent LB
    2018 EVIL Calling
    2018 Commencal Meta HT AM
    2016 YETI sb6c
    2013 YETI sb66c
    2009 YETI DJ

mtbr member
    Has anyone played around with a 160 fork? I'm currently running a 150 in low but looking to refresh the fork to lyrik. Figured I'd try the 160 and if it's not good drop it with an air shaft kit.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

MTBPuckerFactor
    Jun 2018

Calling & Rear Metric Trunnion Mount Coil Shocks

Sooo...in my pursuit of researching coil rear shocks for the The Calling, i learned that the only option right now is the Push 11-6. Which is WAY above my paygrade right now. I was hoping to slap a DHX2 on it, but nope. Anyone hear if Fox or RS are gonna come out with a trunnion metric rear coil? The interwebs give up nothing...sigh.

mtbr member
    You can get a CCDB CoilCS as well, that and the 11-6 are the only ones I know about!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsrgod View Post
    You can get a CCDB CoilCS as well, that and the 11-6 are the only ones I know about!
    So when I searched Cane Creeks site it said there wasnít a compatible rear shock? Has it been updated?

MTBPuckerFactor
    Jun 2018
    Thanks guys, I just ran their bike match calculator on CC site and no dice. Everything CC but the rear shock fits.

mtbr member
    No it's not updated but I've talked to CC multiple times about it and it will fit. Phil Kmetz was running the CCDB AirCS on his Calling for awhile. You can see it in some of his videos.

The form factor is smaller than the 11-6 so there isn't a clearance issue.

Trail Rider
    Feb 2017
    Marzocchi new shock almost fits it (2.5mm extra stroke is OK). You can run a 50-55mm stroke so long as its 185.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mckleroy View Post
    Marzocchi new shock almost fits it (2.5mm extra stroke is OK). You can run a 50-55mm stroke so long as its 185.
    I actually forgot about that one, that shock will work. You can also get one through Craig at Avalanche and he will shorten the stroke down to 50mm while doing all the standard mods to it. Internally I guess its nothing more than a rebranded Fox Van RC.

MTBPuckerFactor
    Jun 2018
    very cool. thanks. I reached out to Evil who said along with the 11-6, the RockShox SuperDeluxe Coil has a trunnion metric option. So that might be worth considering too.

MTBPuckerFactor
    Jun 2018
    Hey mckleroy, can you expand a bit on 50-55mm stroke being OK on the Calling? You stated the Marzocci "almost" fits. How do you know 2.5mm extra is ok?

im only finding the Rockshox SD Coil in 55mm. No one carries the 50. (I know i can find a Cane Creek & PUSH coil at 185x50, but Im not gonna pay that much)

mtbr member
    You can long stroke a Calling up to 55mm if I remember correctly. It ends up making the rear travel 140ish and the tire still had a small amount of clearance from the seat tube. You can find some posts in this thread about it, not many people have done it. It can be done with the factory Super D, basically a shim removal that's limiting the stroke.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You can long stroke a Calling up to 55mm if I remember correctly. It ends up making the rear travel 140ish and the tire still had a small amount of clearance from the seat tube. You can find some posts in this thread about it, not many people have done it. It can be done with the factory Super D, basically a shim removal that's limiting the stroke.

55mm stroke shock on the calling is more than ok, it's awesome. I have the 5mm stroke reducing shim on my stock shock removed. Rear travel is now 143mm and i have a 150mm fork and love it this way.

MTBPuckerFactor
    Jun 2018
    Soooo...Can i just run the 55mm shock without the shim removal? Evil says the 185x55mm will fit fine with clearance, but maybe change my leverage rates a bit. I dont necessarily want to modify the shock in any way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Soooo...Can i just run the 55mm shock without the shim removal? Evil says the 185x55mm will fit fine with clearance, but maybe change my leverage rates a bit. I dont necessarily want to modify the shock in any way.
    yes just run it at 185x55

C__Corax
    Sep 2009
    anyone running a cane creek DBcoil CS on their calling?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thinking about getting the new pike or lyrik for my calling. Seems like nobody makes 42mm offset forks anymore, which evil specs on this bike. Are people going with a 37mm offset or 46mm offset on this bike these days?

mtbr member
    Thinking about getting the new pike or lyrik for my calling. Seems like nobody makes 42mm offset forks anymore, which evil specs on this bike. Are people going with a 37mm offset or 46mm offset on this bike these days?
    I swapped out my 150mm Pike for a 46mm Offset 150 Lyrik and I've noticed no discernible difference in steering, handling or floopyness climbing with it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I talked with Dylan at Evil about this. He said they recommend opting towards the 46mm offset as makes the steering more lively. It's worked nicely for me.

MTBPuckerFactor
    Jun 2018

Calling & Rockshox SuperD Coil

yes just run it at 185x55
    Hey jwren, doing some homework here...almost ready to pull the trigger, but need to understand what size spring I need. Due to the available 143mm of travel using a 185x55, am I to calculate that new value when determining my spring rate & coil size vs the 131mm original travel on my Calling?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey jwren, doing some homework here...almost ready to pull the trigger, but need to understand what size spring I need. Due to the available 143mm of travel using a 185x55, am I to calculate that new value when determining my spring rate & coil size vs the 131mm original travel on my Calling?
    I'm not sure on that one, sorry!

mtbr member

Superdeluxe bullet bitten

Finally went for it today and yanked the travel limiter on the superdeluxe.

I've been feeling bottomed out recently... O-ring on the fork is hitting over 90% and superdeluxe o-ring is sometimes completely off the shaft. I run my SAG strictly per manufacture instructions, so rear =30% on the nose. BTW: 6'0" 168-170lbs on a large Calling.

Experimenting with volume spacers in the Fox 36 (150mm travel). These come stock with one blue token, so I got a handful from my LBS and switched out for one orange for now - already better, going to try two blue next.

I read all the threads I could find on the superdeluxe travel spacer... no downside that I could find plus haven't serviced for over a year.

Incredibly easy to remove, one snip on each side and off she comes. Also removed one of the two washers that 'sandwich' the spacer (important to leave at least one as its the 'bottom out washer and o-ring' according to the 2017 SRAM schematic) https://www.sram.com/sites/default/f...ice_manual.pdf

Mine had a single volume token (4.6mm) so took that out, stuck in a gnar-dog (which is supposed to be x2.5 of a single spacer. These are not 1:1 for thickness since the gnar-dog is more sculpted than flat.

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-travel-spacer.jpg

Also a good time to fully rotate all the bearings on the DW link, my guess these get 20% +/- on good day, so need to move the grease/bearings all the way around occasionally!

MTBPuckerFactor
    Jun 2018
    Finally went for it today and yanked the travel limiter on the superdeluxe.

I've been feeling bottomed out recently... O-ring on the fork is hitting over 90% and superdeluxe o-ring is sometimes completely off the shaft. I run my SAG strictly per manufacture instructions, so rear =30% on the nose. BTW: 6'0" 168-170lbs on a large Calling.

Experimenting with volume spacers in the Fox 36 (150mm travel). These come stock with one blue token, so I got a handful from my LBS and switched out for one orange for now - already better, going to try two blue next.

I read all the threads I could find on the superdeluxe travel spacer... no downside that I could find plus haven't serviced for over a year.

Incredibly easy to remove, one snip on each side and off she comes. Also removed one of the two washers that 'sandwich' the spacer (important to leave at least one as its the 'bottom out washer and o-ring' according to the 2017 SRAM schematic) https://www.sram.com/sites/default/f...ice_manual.pdf

Mine had a single volume token (4.6mm) so took that out, stuck in a gnar-dog (which is supposed to be x2.5 of a single spacer. These are not 1:1 for thickness since the gnar-dog is more sculpted than flat.

Name:	travel spacer.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	1248649

Also a good time to fully rotate all the bearings on the DW link, my guess these get 20% +/- on good day, so need to move the grease/bearings all the way around occasionally!
    Sweet. Take pics of the seat tube clearance fully compressed. let us know if it touches the tire. What size rear tire do you have, btw?
    Im about to mount up my SD Coil 185x55. You effectively did the same with the SD Air, so im very curious. :P (Im 5'10 170-175 on a Large too)

mtbr member
    ......seat tube clearance fully compressed. let us know if it touches the tire. What size rear tire do you have, btw?)
    With no air in the shock, its exactly the same as before... the frame travel itself limits out completely with exactly 24mm clearance on a DHR II.

Went on the usual ride today (mixed terrain with rock gardens, some drops, and few smaller jumps)... definitely felt different. No bottom out feeling and really felt the rear progression, much more spring off the bottom. Fork stayed in the 80-90% range.

Here's the setup I'm trying:

Front: Fox 36 150mm SAG 19% (28mm) with one orange token, 60psi
    Rear: Superdeluxe at 140mm(???) with SAG at 32% with gnar-dog, 159psi

One thing that is tough about the rear SAG setup on the Calling - it is a real pain to position a caliper correctly... easier I found was to come up from bottom of the shock vs top.

One of these days I will sort out the LSC/HSC... Both at 14 clicks from wide open....suggestions?
    Last edited by Halfabrain; 04-26-2019 at 04:46 PM.

mtbr member

Superdeluxe trunion mount hardware - spacer orientation

Just in case you forgot to notice (like me). The spacers on the trunion mount end are beveled on one side.... the beveled side goes outboard, towards the bearing.

From page 22 of the SRAM 2017 50 hours service manual: "...press an end spacer, large diameter side first, onto each end of the bushing pin."

Name:  Screenshot_003.png
Views: 1214
Size:  109.9 KB

mtbr member
    Is the new RockShox Super Deluxe MegNeg (Mega Negative) air can "upgrade" a bad idea on a Calling that is already progressive enough?

MTBPuckerFactor
    Jun 2018

Evil Calling Drawing

Hey guys, once upon a time i had a pdf drawing of the full calling parts & assembly.
    I can't recall if I found it here in this thread or pinkbike. I searched here and came up empty. Maybe it's a link or something? Anyway, if you have it, could you please repost it?

Thanks!

mtbr member

So for those who put a RS SD coil on their Calling, how do/did you like it?

mtbr member
    Slow week on the forum. Another question, what other coil shocks fit the Calling? In my online search I see the RockShox Super Deluxe coil is a hard find (only a couple places have them in stock). Evil recommended the ÷hlins TTX22.

mtbr member
    There's a few out there that will fit Cane Creek DB, the new Marz Bomber RC, Push 11-6, and I might be forgetting a few!

mtbr member
    There's a few out there that will fit Cane Creek DB, the new Marz Bomber RC, Push 11-6, and I might be forgetting a few!
    I keep seeing cane creek on forums but their website says it doesnít fit. I guess Iíd like to see a pic before I buy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau View Post
    I keep seeing cane creek on forums but their website says it doesnít fit. I guess Iíd like to see a pic before I buy.
    Both Evil and CC have confirmed it will fit. If you look at some older Phil Kmetz videos you can see him running the CCDB Air.

mtbr member
    Just grab one of these, you won't regret it!

mtbr member

Maybe Iíll wait till push has their demo sale at the end of the year.

For whatever reason I have a tough go with setting the rear shock to my liking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Looks sick!

Is that a powder-coated ElevenSix coil?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieReb View Post
    Is that a powder-coated ElevenSix coil?
    Yeah I had it powder coated to match the Lyrik! It turned out great

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Vorsprung/Push Calling

Iíve had this bike for almost a year now and still love everything about it! It is super dialed for anything from local trails to rowdy days at the park. Heck, I even have fun on it at the pump track every now and then, but it really makes you work for it there ! The current configuration is as follows:

Fox 36 150mm, Vorsprung Smashpot (50 lb/in), Fractive-tuned FIT4 damper
    Push 11-6 (475 lb/in)
    Flip chip in XLOW
    Weight:
    31.8 lb (bike only)
    32.5 lb w/ OneUp ECD and pump
    33.8 lb w/ OneUp ECD, pump and full water bottle
    Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-832974c2-9096-429b-bdd1-13a6e9e98d47.jpg

mtbr member
    Just curious how many have removed the travel reducer in the super deluxe and if there were any regrets?

mtbr member
    Well I pulled out the snips. Iíll see if I can tell a difference. I am down 15-psi with 2 tokens.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Well I pulled out the snips. Iíll see if I can tell a difference. I am down 15-psi with 2 tokens./a7316bcabe202952282adb123665d416.jpg[/IMG]
    Interested in hearing how this works out, how much additional travel do you reckon you got?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by telethinline View Post
    Interested in hearing how this works out, how much additional travel do you reckon you got?
    According to Evil, from 131 to 143.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    According to Evil, from 131 to 143.
    Does that extra travel come at the beginning or end? i.e. Does it raise the BB and steepen the geo?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by telethinline View Post
    Does that extra travel come at the beginning or end? i.e. Does it raise the BB and steepen the geo?
    Bike rides great, although I did change air pressures too. Also there was hero dirt instead of loose moon dust so probably not the best to compare after removing the reducer.

As far as geo the bike felt great, I donít get tied up in numbers but by feel and as far as climbing it did just fine. If you case geo numbers youíll end up poor unless you have too much disposable income.

mtbr member

Trail conditions are still pretty darn near perfect with monsoons keep the moon dust to a minimum. So far I am happy with the switch. I have to earn my descents and thereís no ill effects, maybe even a little more peppy?? Iím running 15-psi lower in the SD and would usually flip the switch to the middle setting while climbing, but now I just keep it open and everything feels great.

I canít comment on jumping because I suck at it. Now that the kids are back in school I should be able to work on my jumping skills at the skills park.

Iím curious what others thought about removing the travel reducer and how they felt the bike handles. I definitely have no regrets.

mtbr member

Chainstay rubber coming off....

Doing some rehab to the drivetrain and noticed the chain stay rubber protection is coming off across the top....dangit!

Any suggestions on what to use to re-adhere the loose section? I was thinking contact cement or rubber cement of some kind....

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    When my started coming off I mailed evil and they send me a new one for free. Was just a few weeks after purchase. You can also buy it from their website.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Am I crazy for buying and building up a bike that is almost 3 years old? No Way! This is the most "fun" bike I have ever owned.

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-p5pb17698353.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Sweet pic! 150mm fork? Low or X-Low? How's the geo?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Size large. Low. 150 fork. 30% rear sag, 25% front.

Geo is spot on for what I was looking for. I've pretty much only ridden 29ers, from XC race bikes to mid-long travel trail/enduro rigs. My main bike is currently a Scott Ransom. And while it pretty much lets me do whatever I want, as my technical skills get better the big 29ers feel less lively unless I'm riding the absolutely gnarliest, steepest terrain.

I finally made the jump to add something more playful to the stable and couldn't be happier. This bike just wants to be in the air. I took it to Trestle Bike Park last weekend and felt a little under-gunned on some tech stuff but was boosting jumps bigger than I do on my Ransom. By the end of the day i just started jumping over rock sections instead of plowing through them.

Sure super steep STAs are in right now, but outside of that, the geo on this bike feels pretty spot on. Evil has always been ahead of the curve on geo, and since it's a smaller travel bike that's not sub-65į in the HTA department, the STA feels fine for climbing.

I honestly see myself selling the ransom since bike park season is ending, riding this lil' monster everywhere, and maybe picking up an Evil Park Build next summer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thought maybe I would ask here.. sent my rear shock to be serviced by dirt labs and now it is super stiff. They set it back to the exact pressure I had it to and it is far from the same. Itís a rockshox super deluxe. I was ridding it on medium before and now I am ridding it all the way soft and it feels like the hard before. It just beats me up on the trail. Tried less pressure and it softens some but then there is a lot of sag. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    I also got a Calling last year and enjoyed the playfulness so much, I switch my long travel Yeti SB6 last week for a Insurgent LB. I currently have it with a Fox 36 160 but will probably geta a 180 Boxxer next year for Park Days. Evils make even the lamest trail come alive, and the 27.5 wheels also help.
    2019 EVIL Insurgent LB
    2018 EVIL Calling
    2016 YETI sb6c
    2013 YETI sb66c
    2009 YETI DJ

mtbr member
    I also got a Calling last year and enjoyed the playfulness so much, I switch my long travel Yeti SB6 last week for a Insurgent LB. I currently have it with a Fox 36 160 but will probably geta a 180 Boxxer next year for Park Days. Evils make even the lamest trail come alive, and the 27.5 wheels also help.

Quote Originally Posted by mtn_dewd View Post
    Size large. Low. 150 fork. 30% rear sag, 25% front.

Geo is spot on for what I was looking for. I've pretty much only ridden 29ers, from XC race bikes to mid-long travel trail/enduro rigs. My main bike is currently a Scott Ransom. And while it pretty much lets me do whatever I want, as my technical skills get better the big 29ers feel less lively unless I'm riding the absolutely gnarliest, steepest terrain.

I finally made the jump to add something more playful to the stable and couldn't be happier. This bike just wants to be in the air. I took it to Trestle Bike Park last weekend and felt a little under-gunned on some tech stuff but was boosting jumps bigger than I do on my Ransom. By the end of the day i just started jumping over rock sections instead of plowing through them.

Sure super steep STAs are in right now, but outside of that, the geo on this bike feels pretty spot on. Evil has always been ahead of the curve on geo, and since it's a smaller travel bike that's not sub-65į in the HTA department, the STA feels fine for climbing.

I honestly see myself selling the ransom since bike park season is ending, riding this lil' monster everywhere, and maybe picking up an Evil Park Build next summer.
    2019 EVIL Insurgent LB
    2018 EVIL Calling
    2016 YETI sb6c
    2013 YETI sb66c
    2009 YETI DJ

Hisforever
    The calling is one of the raddest evils i've been on after insurg,follow,offer,an undead. true ripper of a bike. super fast on some flow too. dont regret buying a 3 year old ride that rides this good. git sum

PipedreamMoxie
    M 5.5
    Yeti
    Evil
    Yz 250x braap

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jftoha View Post
    I switch my long travel Yeti SB6 last week for a Insurgent LB. I currently have it with a Fox 36 160 but will probably geta a 180 Boxxer next year for Park Days. Evils make even the lamest trail come alive, and the 27.5 wheels also help.
    I'm thinking the same thing. I have ridden my Calling exclusively since I got it. A few park days, some purpose built mtb trails, some old school chunk. It's been a blast. Some dude took out my back wheel this past weekend so I ended up doing a Sunday morning ride on my Ransom. It just felt... not as fun anymore. I get that it's a "faster" bike, but I'm starting to find that I much prefer the "fun" factor. (I get fast can be fun too).

I listed the Ransom for sale. Probably will drop an 11.6 in the calling and get a longer travel Evil with a Boxxer next year summer for the park. The Delta suspension just feels right.

Bodhisattva
    I'm thinking the same thing. I have ridden my Calling exclusively since I got it. A few park days, some purpose built mtb trails, some old school chunk. It's been a blast. Some dude took out my back wheel this past weekend so I ended up doing a Sunday morning ride on my Ransom. It just felt... not as fun anymore. I get that it's a "faster" bike, but I'm starting to find that I much prefer the "fun" factor. (I get fast can be fun too).

I listed the Ransom for sale. Probably will drop an 11.6 in the calling and get a longer travel Evil with a Boxxer next year summer for the park. The Delta suspension just feels right.
    I'm still loving my Calling (11.6/ACS-3/HC97 equipped) after two full seasons of Colorado use, a trip to Nepal and a trip to the Pyranees.

My SantaCruz Nomad allows me to take more direct lines, ride with a bit more abandon, and probably go faster if I timed myself (which I don't), but the Calling is flat out more fun on most trails.

Calling is still a very relevant bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Deleted

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Am I crazy for buying and building up a bike that is almost 3 years old? No Way! This is the most "fun" bike I have ever owned.

Name:	p5pb17698353.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	420.1 KB 
ID:	1276651
    Well...that pic is on Dakota...so it appears the bike feels capable enough to enjoy the chunk! I'm on a Ransom as well..mine is super dialed, but I do agree it's a tad overkill for my riding at this point in my life. I'm really strongly considering the Calling...especially with the deals right now! Glad to read this info...helps me a tad on my decision.
    Scott Ransom 910/Evil Insurgent/Chromag Primer...always wanting more!!

mtbr member

Fabric Bottle

FYI - Fabric cageless water bottle (600mL) clearance = 3.5mm.

Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-img_0739.jpg

mtbr member
    FYI - Fabric cageless water bottle (600mL) clearance = 3.5mm.

I and others have found that those tend to let the bottle fall off after they wear a little. I'm using a Silca Ti cage now which is amazing.

mtbr member
    I and others have found that those tend to let the bottle fall off after they wear a little. I'm using a Silca Ti cage now which is amazing.
    Iíve heard this as well. But I am currently using a Fidlock bottle on an Offering and havenít had any trouble....yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rccp View Post
    Iíve heard this as well. But I am currently using a Fidlock bottle on an Offering and havenít had any trouble....yet.
    I have heard that Fidlock is ok. I have seen 2 different Fabric bottle systems fail, the plastic wears away, it's a bad design. In my opinion Fabric is all about form over function.

mtbr member
    I have heard that Fidlock is ok. I have seen 2 different Fabric bottle systems fail, the plastic wears away, it's a bad design. In my opinion Fabric is all about form over function.
    Thanks for the feedback... its a $16 experiment, so I'm not too torn up about it. I usually ride a pack since I like having a solid tool set/repair, first aid kit, and so forth (USWE 9L rocks!). I'm gonna be doing shorter night rides this winter (1 hour +/-) close to home, so don't want a pack for those.

I will let you know how it goes, there's mixed reviews on the Fabric and the Fidlock is near $40.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just built up a calling thanks to the last sale, awesome deal. I have a Nomad 4 with acs3 and 11-6 as my main bike. I needed a fun bike for more regular trail duty and it has very similar geo to the n4 so I pulled the trigger on the calling and swapped over most of my parts from my previous nomad 3. I have the calling setup with the stock super deluxe and a pike 150mm with acs3.

I'm pretty blown away by this bike after a few rides. I was legit shocked how capable it is through chunder and chunk. The nomad 4 destroys the calling straight lining through chunk at high speed but the calling holds its own just fine and feels like it has way more then 131mm. This is going to be a rad complimentary bike to my n4. Kudos to Evil for having something this good out 3 years ago.Is something EVIL.........CALLING?-dsc02555ig.jpg

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by xhailofgunfirex View Post
    I just built up a calling thanks to the last sale, awesome deal. I have a Nomad 4 with acs3 and 11-6 as my main bike. I needed a fun bike for more regular trail duty and it has very similar geo to the n4 so I pulled the trigger on the calling and swapped over most of my parts from my previous nomad 3. I have the calling setup with the stock super deluxe and a pike 150mm with acs3.

I'm pretty blown away by this bike after a few rides. I was legit shocked how capable it is through chunder and chunk. The nomad 4 destroys the calling straight lining through chunk at high speed but the calling holds its own just fine and feels like it has way more then 131mm. This is going to be a rad complimentary bike to my n4. Kudos to Evil for having something this good out 3 years ago.
    Excellent!
    I have a Calling and Nomad stable as well and agree completely. I highly recommend ACS3/11.6 for the Calling. I also bumped my Pike to 150 and now have a 180mm OneUp Dropper post on a medium. This bike is just as capable as my Nomad with the exception of mega chunk at speed

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    Excellent!
    I have a Calling and Nomad stable as well and agree completely. I highly recommend ACS3/11.6 for the Calling. I also bumped my Pike to 150 and now have a 180mm OneUp Dropper post on a medium. This bike is just as capable as my Nomad with the exception of mega chunk at speed

Rad! You have excellent taste! I might try to get an 11-6 eventfully for the Calling but for now ill leave it as is. I can definitely imagine this bike being even more awesome with the 11-6. Are you running in x-low or low? I haven't tried the x-low yet, we have some rocky terrain so I have a feel it will be too low, but its worth a shot.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by xhailofgunfirex View Post
    Rad! You have excellent taste! I might try to get an 11-6 eventfully for the Calling but for now ill leave it as is. I can definitely imagine this bike being even more awesome with the 11-6. Are you running in x-low or low? I haven't tried the x-low yet, we have some rocky terrain so I have a feel it will be too low, but its worth a shot.

Low. I tried XLow but didn't care for it. Felt too low & slack, a bit too much like the Nomad in that configuration. The fun & playful feel of the Calling disappeared in XLow

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    5'7 with 29" inseam. Thinking about a small sized Calling but worried I would lose too much high speed stability. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by FOMZ View Post
    5'7 with 29" inseam. Thinking about a small sized Calling but worried I would lose too much high speed stability. Thoughts?
    Medium, no doubt. Evil's size charts run small (except for the Offering). I sized up a whole size, you'd only be sizing up a half size.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FOMZ View Post
    Trade offs man. I had a medium Insurgent which definitely did not feel small in any situation at just under 5'10". Calling is just a little longer I believe. I'm also thinking about picking up a Calling, but have to keep talking myself out of being swayed to a large to follow current trends. Seems like the Calling is all about playing around the trail. IMHO, you lose some eagerness in that regard when you size up. That said, I have never been on a Calling.

mtbr member
    Iím 5í7Ē 29 ď inseam and ride a medium I tested a small It felt good kinda BMXy. Felt a little cramped. Have not regretted the medium It doesnít wheelie or jump as easy as the small maybe. But thatís probably due to my lack of skills Love the bike wonít be changing any time soon. I have had it couple of years I think Ridden friends new bikes nothing seems as fun as my calling 150 pike extra low 170 cranks 780 bar 35 stem. A blast up and a blast especially down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BossLog View Post
    Trade offs man. I had a medium Insurgent which definitely did not feel small in any situation at just under 5'10". Calling is just a little longer I believe. I'm also thinking about picking up a Calling, but have to keep talking myself out of being swayed to a large to follow current trends. Seems like the Calling is all about playing around the trail. IMHO, you lose some eagerness in that regard when you size up. That said, I have never been on a Calling.
    If you liked your medium Insurgent, the Medium Calling will feel right at home. I rode my buddy's M insurgent for awhile before I decided about getting my calling and they feel very close. I'm also 5'10" and the good/bad part is that you can go either M or L a lot of the time. I would also say you nailed it about what the Calling is for. It's my "fun" bike. Still very capable and I'll take it on just about anything, but it's just not quite as fast as my longer travel bikes. Damned if I don't take the Calling out more often though...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrallen View Post
    If you liked your medium Insurgent, the Medium Calling will feel right at home. I rode my buddy's M insurgent for awhile before I decided about getting my calling and they feel very close. I'm also 5'10" and the good/bad part is that you can go either M or L a lot of the time. I would also say you nailed it about what the Calling is for. It's my "fun" bike. Still very capable and I'll take it on just about anything, but it's just not quite as fast as my longer travel bikes. Damned if I don't take the Calling out more often though...
    Nice. So you're on a medium and feeling good? Seems like the general consensus is run 150mm fork???

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BossLog View Post
    Nice. So you're on a medium and feeling good? Seems like the general consensus is run 150mm fork???
    Yes, I'm good on a Medium, but if you have a long torso and shorter inseam, you could go large. My fork is a 140. It was designed for that originally, but I heard that the new build kits are 150. I could see it either way. I actually have a 150 airshaft that I thought about putting on, but decided I like the seat post where it is and didn't want to slacken it out. If I was going to go with a 150 fork, I would probably want a Large and slide the seat forward. Good luck. Awesome bike.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345