Shock replacement for Evil Following?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Shock replacement for Evil Following?

I sent my shock in for service and Dirt Labs is telling me there is major scoring inside the shock and it's basically shot and the cost of air can and damper sleeve (?) cost basically what a new shock costs. Assuming this shock is dead (1300 miles with no service, some sandy riding in winter), should I replace it with another Monarch RT3 or a Fox DPS?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Pics:

Shock replacement for Evil Following?-img_7842-1-.jpg

Shock replacement for Evil Following?-img_7845.jpg

mtbr member
    This;
    My buddy spoke to Craig at Avalanche and he said that Following shocks are one of the most common shocks he works on due to the leverage ratio on these bikes. He also said that it is absolutely critical to due the scheduled maintenance every 50hrs or less if you're a heavier rider. He also mentioned that these shocks over heat very quickly due to leverage curve of frame. He said he has seen many of these shocks damaged severely due to overheating.

This too;
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2017-FO...53.m1438.l2649
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    I saw in another post that someone recommended a McLeod. The McLeod is a fantastic shock I had one on my RIP9 unfortunately they don't make the McLeod in a size to fit a Following. The Following is very limited in shock selection. I would consider getting the Fox and then sending your Monarch to someone for a rebuild and custom tune. That way you always have a backup shock.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Sorry didn't realize you were the one on the shock pressure thread.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    I had a horrible experience with Dirt Labs. They screwed up my fork, sent it back to them, got it again, was even worse, and eventually had to send it back to the manufacture to fix their mistakes. They were difficult to deal with. It cost me time, money, messed up a bike trip, etc. I wouldn't trust a word they said!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    I had a horrible experience with Dirt Labs. They screwed up my fork, sent it back to them, got it again, was even worse, and eventually had to send it back to the manufacture to fix their mistakes. They were difficult to deal with. It cost me time, money, messed up a bike trip, etc. I wouldn't trust a word they said!
    They seem to get really good reviews and have been quick to respond and helpful with me so far

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    They seem to get really good reviews and have been quick to respond and helpful with me so far
    That's great!!! Good to hear things have changed! I am not one to mention negative stuff about bikes, etc. However, my experience with Dirt Labs, in all of my years, was horrible. I hope for the best and glad to hear they are helping you out!!! It does seem that the Monarch is shock with issues. My buddy had a lot of issues and eventually purchased an 11-6 and never looked back. His experience, along with other friends with Insurgents is the reason why I am getting the 11-6 for my Calling.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    should I replace it with another Monarch RT3 or a Fox DPS?
    I switched out my Monarch and went to a Fox DPS when my Monarch was out for service. The Fox DPS was from Fanatik with their Evil tune. It was quite a dramatic improvement. My Following seems to ride higher in the travel but yet is more responsive in all conditions. I never put the Monarch back on the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Berm View Post
    I switched out my Monarch and went to a Fox DPS when my Monarch was out for service. The Fox DPS was from Fanatik with their Evil tune. It was quite a dramatic improvement. My Following seems to ride higher in the travel but yet is more responsive in all conditions. I never put the Monarch back on the bike.
    I went through Dirt Labs, who was incredibly helpful and responsive, and said they'd tune it for a heavier rider before sending it out to me. Hopefully it's an improvement for me too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    For the price I would snag the fox up.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F122831088592

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I replaced the Monarch with the Fanatik tuned Fox DPS. A dramatic improvement, well worth the $$. Next up is the Following MB, so I guess I will have a Large gunmetal frame with both shocks for sale soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just bought the fox....What recommendation for pressure vs monarch ? Was 235 on avalanche monarch. Going home to install it now and ride

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by exploder View Post
    Just bought the fox....What recommendation for pressure vs monarch ? Was 235 on avalanche monarch. Going home to install it now and ride

I'd be curious to get some feedback on this too.

I was 290psi on the Monarch Debonair. I don't get the chance to ride MTB much so I was hoping for a ballpark so I don't have a months worth of riding before it's dialed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    With the Fox, smallest volume reducer and the RWC up top Iím running 255psi, I weigh 195# geared up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I weigh 170 and ran 235 previously and 220 felt good on the new fox with rebound 5 clicks from full fast

Paste eater
    Edit: Oops, wrong thread.
    Last edited by Jwind; 01-01-2018 at 11:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Would anyone like to buy my Avalanche Tuned monarch with rwc needle bearing kit now that I bought the fox. 100 bucks and it's yours. 3 months ride time on it.

mtbr member
    Would anyone like to buy my Avalanche Tuned monarch with rwc needle bearing kit now that I bought the fox. 100 bucks and it's yours. 3 months ride time on it.

You like the Fox better then the Avy tuned Monarch? Just asking because I'm on the fence about getting the Fox Shock or having my Monarch tuned.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I've only had one ride....I think the monarch pedals a little better and has more pop but the fox is smoother. If I did more pedaling I would keep the monarch.

mtbr member
    I've only had one ride....I think the monarch pedals a little better and has more pop but the fox is smoother. If I did more pedaling I would keep the monarch.

Thanks for input.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Sent you a PM!
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Replied

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    New shock showed up today, didnít know I was getting the EVOL model. Should I get the smaller air can right off the bat? Heard EVOL is bad for heavier riders

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My outgoing Monarch only used ~80% of the travel (overall length vs o-ring at bottom out) but the new Fox uses ~95% of the shock body. Is this normal or was one of my shocks the wrong size?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Winter/snow where I am but from what I can remember the o-ring goes to middle of the K on the Kashima logo when bottomed out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rngspnr View Post
    This;
    My buddy spoke to Craig at Avalanche and he said that Following shocks are one of the most common shocks he works on due to the leverage ratio on these bikes. He also said that it is absolutely critical to due the scheduled maintenance every 50hrs or less if you're a heavier rider. He also mentioned that these shocks over heat very quickly due to leverage curve of frame. He said he has seen many of these shocks damaged severely due to overheating.

This too;
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2017-FO...53.m1438.l2649
    Just to clear this up we see many RT3's and Plus shocks damaged due to lack of maintaining the air can seals as dirt and debris can get under the air tube dust seal and score up the air tube/shaft anodizing. The heat comment was that in general air shocks can over heat on extended DH runs causing air pressure to build up too high and contaminant the damper oil with high pressure air, no permanent damage generally.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crseekins View Post
    Just to clear this up we see many RT3's and Plus shocks damaged due to lack of maintaining the air can seals as dirt and debris can get under the air tube dust seal and score up the air tube/shaft anodizing. The heat comment was that in general air shocks can over heat on extended DH runs causing air pressure to build up too high and contaminant the damper oil with high pressure air, no permanent damage generally.
    Thanks Craig. The information I got was second hand.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    Hey Dude! I am so sorry to hear you had a bad experience with us in the past. We absolutely try our best to be rider-oriented in all of our service, tuning, and upgrade/trade-in efforts.

I am curious to hear more of how we can do better. Shoot me an email! Chris@dirtlabs.com