Posting here for better intel: Evil Following MB vs Ibis Ripley v3.. same bike?- Mtbr.com
    Closekids.com

Posting here for better intel: Evil Following MB vs Ibis Ripley v3.. same bike?

Evil Following MB vs Ibis Ripley LS 2018...virtually the same bike?

Not starting/picking a fight, but if you look at the specs on these bikes, they are VERY similar. I'm a Medium Evil and Large Ibis Rip.

Ibis left Evil right
    Head Angle: 67.5 vs 67.4
    Reach: 16.9 vs 17.1
    Wheelbase: 46 vs 45.6
    Chainstay: 17.5 vs 17
    Bottom Bracket: 13 vs 13.3
    Travel: both 130/120

Certainly not the only specs, but some very important ones. So I'm trying to figure out why one is labeled as such a great climber and XC/Trail and the other is labeled such a great descender and more Trail/AM...

They are both obviously GREAT bikes...but it would seem like they should be for virtually the same use. I've looked for some definitive lessons on the difference in how the two suspension systems actually ride (it would be great if DW had one video on all his suspension designs and how x is good at doing this and y design is good at doing that).

Would be interested to see what others think as I'm trying to choose between them Great riding all.
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    You're missing Seat Tube Angle. Which is one of the most important characteristics determining climbing. Also weight.
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member

Also note the 13 mm difference in chain stay length. That is a glaring difference. The Ripley has you in a more centered position with its longer rear center vs shorter front center and the Following is more playful with its shorter rear center but gives up some seated climbing chops. The Evil is a better climber out of the saddle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Geo numbers don't tell the whole story. In addition to the differences already mentioned, the other big one is suspension kinematics. DW link generally provides great climbing efficiency. As stated by manitou, DELTA is amazing on standing climbs, but it's not as efficient for seated climbs as DW. DELTA shines on the downhill. That's why Evil bikes attract riders that are more DH inclined.

With that said, you're bottom line conclusion that both bikes should be for the same use isn't really off base. Think of it more as these two bikes are like two sides of a coin, with one being a bit more efficient for climbing, but still a very capable trail bike, and the other being a little more rowdy-ready for the downhill, but not being as good of a climber. They're definitely in the same class of bikes. So your best bet is to pick the one that better suits your riding style. My buddy has a Ripley LS and I have an MB. They're both orange, they sort of look like twins even. No question for long seated climbs the Ripley is more efficient, but the MB is just a bit more confidence inspiring and playful when you point it down.

I bought a FMB to replace my Rip LS as a shorter travel bike to go with my Wreckoning but ended up keeping the Rip and selling the FMB mainly because the FMB felt like the Wreck with less travel and there was a lot of overlap between them. The Wreck pedals so well that I didn't feel much of an advantage with the FMB over the Wreck even on smoothish trails. The Ripley LS provided more separation from the Wreck and it made me realize just how good the LS is: lighter weight, quicker on it's feet feeling, climbs better while not giving up much to the FMB on the descent.

Most people will build the FMB burlier than an LS, myself included. I ran a 140 fork on both but a 36 on the FMB, a 34 on the LS which went along with the rest of the lighter build on the LS resulting in 3 lbs lighter.

They ride much different. The LS riding position feels more forward, over the front more so no need to weight the front for some corners like I had to on the FMB (size L on both so longer front center on the FMB). Not much rear wheel steering or shralping on the LS with the longer chain stays which really make the rear hook up so cornering feels a lot different and takes a different technique.

FMB rear suspension was more active during seated pedaling, more even than my Wreck which surprised me. Could be the shock though, only ran the RS Super Delux on the FMB and run Fox on my other bikes which I have dialed in really well.

Bottom line for me and reason I sold the FMB is for a bike in the 28-30 lb range as capable as it is with burly build, 120mm just isn't enough. As I mentioned, a lot of overlap with the wreck but lacking much short travel advantage.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bob-o View Post
    I bought a FMB to replace my Rip LS as a shorter travel bike to go with my Wreckoning but ended up keeping the Rip and selling the FMB mainly because the FMB felt like the Wreck with less travel and there was a lot of overlap between them. The Wreck pedals so well that I didn't feel much of an advantage with the FMB over the Wreck even on smoothish trails. The Ripley LS provided more separation from the Wreck and it made me realize just how good the LS is: lighter weight, quicker on it's feet feeling, climbs better while not giving up much to the FMB on the descent.

Most people will build the FMB burlier than an LS, myself included. I ran a 140 fork on both but a 36 on the FMB, a 34 on the LS which went along with the rest of the lighter build on the LS resulting in 3 lbs lighter.

They ride much different. The LS riding position feels more forward, over the front more so no need to weight the front for some corners like I had to on the FMB (size L on both so longer front center on the FMB). Not much rear wheel steering or shralping on the LS with the longer chain stays which really make the rear hook up so cornering feels a lot different and takes a different technique.

FMB rear suspension was more active during seated pedaling, more even than my Wreck which surprised me. Could be the shock though, only ran the RS Super Delux on the FMB and run Fox on my other bikes which I have dialed in really well.

Bottom line for me and reason I sold the FMB is for a bike in the 28-30 lb range as capable as it is with burly build, 120mm just isn't enough. As I mentioned, a lot of overlap with the wreck but lacking much short travel advantage.
    Thanks for this insight.
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by bob-o View Post

Good stuff and a good comparison with the Wreck, Rip LS and FMB.

I have a v1 Following from the second batch in late 2014. I love the bike as an all rounder. I built it up 120/ 140 off the bat with a MRP Stage and a light kit at 27 ish lbs. but I also had plans to create a second build at 120/ 120 and another wheelset to give it two different personalities. I've tweaked it some over the last few years and swapped in a Works -1 deg angle set as I like slack head angles and can maintain a steeper ST angle. I find my self mostly riding it in the 120/ 120 mode in high with an RS-1 and the Fox Factory DPS EVOL in the 26ish lb. range. It climbs as good as any DW Link bike I've owned including the 429 and it shreds the downs and jump line trails. I know that the 120/ 120 build is not your typical Following type build but it is a good build for the bike. I still change it over to the 140 Stage build w/ burlier tires for Pisgah type trips with steeper or rowdier terrain. It's a very versatile bike and can climb with the best 120 bikes out there.

Since I gave it a bath the other day I took a shot of it as I've been riding it lately. 26.7 lbs. with a Chromag BZA, Trail master LTD cockpit and a chain guard.
    Posting here for better intel: Evil Following MB vs Ibis Ripley v3.. same bike?-img_4874.jpg
    Last edited by manitou2200; 07-11-2018 at 08:44 PM.
    Function in disaster, finish in style.