PF92 & Best Crankset choice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2019

PF92 & Best Crankset choice

Just as it says, which crank spindle diameter is best suited for the PF92 found in my Following V1 frame? I originally wanted a ReaceFace Turbine to match my cockpit and wheels but it seems the 30mm spindle makes for an unreliable bearing life. I'm going all XT 11 speed and brakes so maybe an XT crank? What about the new Truvative Descendant Dub crankset?

What has worked and worked well for you with a PF92 Bottom Bracket? Anyone have success with a 30mm spindle? If yes, what Bottom Bracket works best?

mtbr member
    This is the bottom bracket I used on my Rocky Mountain with race face cranks.
    https://www.enduroforkseals.com/prod...BB92X30SS.html

mtbr member
    XX1 GXP with a Sram PF92 BB.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman46 View Post
    This is the bottom bracket I used on my Rocky Mountain with race face cranks.
    https://www.enduroforkseals.com/prod...BB92X30SS.html
    ^ this or a Hope BB. https://www.hopetech.com/products/dr...ottom-bracket/

Whatever you do DON'T use the RF BB.

The PF92 was originally intended to be used with a 24mm spindle. I have a RF Aeffect crank on my carbon wonder bike. That's what came stock and I'm unwilling to shell out $400+ (plus the new BB) to "upgrade" to a less durable setup. I spend my money on wheels first, new cranks are low on the list. (I use XT cranks on most of my other bikes)

Wheels Manufacturing also makes a similar BB that uses the same Enduro bearings but comes with different shims. https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-bracket...m-bracket.html
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Keep on Rockin...
    Easy....

Shimano.

Find a blowout deal on an 11sp xtr crank. I've found the pf92 and Shimano bb to be bombproof. If you want to save a ton of cash go for an Shimano SLX crankset.

Not only do those BBs last, they don't creak like the other brands.

.competitivecyclist.com

SLX is like $69 bucks right now. No reason to go xt. IMO probably he best deal on a crank.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Thanks for the info guys, it's good to know there's a somewhat dependable 30mm option for my bike. It will probably come down to which is the best deal when I pull the trigger. Right now the XT is a good deal, $95 for the crank and a chainring for $50-$60 from Jenson.

mtbr member
    I upgraded to a Chris King BB with RF cranks since it allows for easy regreasing since my BB gets wet a lot from creek crossings and washing. I know itís likely out of price range for most peopleís considerations, but after using it for well over a year, itís noise free, and super easy to maintain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Energ8t View Post
    I upgraded to a Chris King BB with RF cranks since it allows for easy regreasing since my BB gets wet a lot from creek crossings and washing. I know itís likely out of price range for most peopleís considerations, but after using it for well over a year, itís noise free, and super easy to maintain.

I don't believe CK makes a BB92 for 30mm spindles BB, so CK is irrelevant to the OPs original question.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I don't believe CK makes a BB92 for 30mm spindles BB, so CK is irrelevant to the OPs original question.
    He did ask which spindle diameter works best with PF92 in the first sentence. I gave my experience based on this inquiry simply as an option to consider. The combo I run has been bombroof with heavy riding in very harsh conditions; pedal strikes on rocks, water, rough rock gardens. Not a single creak has come from my set-up. Why the need to dismiss my contribution so quickly?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Energ8t View Post
    He did ask which spindle diameter works best with PF92 in the first sentence. I gave my experience based on this inquiry simply as an option to consider. The combo I run has been bombroof with heavy riding in very harsh conditions; pedal strikes on rocks, water, rough rock gardens. Not a single creak has come from my set-up. Why the need to dismiss my contribution so quickly?

Because you omitted the pertinent information that made your post valid?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    ideally you should go with a gxp or shimano cranks, gxp is going away so not easy to find anymore, still have shimano!

for 30mm/dub Iíd say hope/enduro are the best options around