Offering versus Ripmo- Mtbr.com
    bike addict
    Jan 2004

Offering versus Ripmo

I'm kinda split between these two frames. I've posted this query also in the ibis forum to even out the bias.

I'm alittle over 6'2", 185#. Opting for a XL Ripmo X2 shock versus L Offering.

I am coming from a Following V1. I ride primarily trails. See climbing as an necessary evil in order to rip the downs. My style is stability and just smash and plow down the most direct fall line. I also do 2 to 3 enduro races a season. This would be my only mtb in my quiver.

Thanks

nel
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm 6'3 and demoed the Ripmo (XL) and then bought an Offering (L). Both are great bikes so you can't really go wrong here. I prefer The Offering as it felt better downhill (ie I felt I could ride it more aggressively). The Ripmo was the better climber of the two as it seemed to take less effort - it felt very efficient. The main issues I had with the Ripmo was that it seemed to have a tendency to understeer on flat corners and even on small drops the shock bottomed out. I think I could have adapted my style to improve the cornering and probably sorted the rear shock out with tokens / air pressure. With The Offering it felt "just right" straight away.

I actually preferred the Ibis HD4 to the Ripmo as that bike just felt more aggressive and was a cornering beast going downhill. The rear suspension of the HD4 also felt more supportive going off drops.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I just came from where you are. Currently have a following V1 as well and am 6' 180. Live and ride in the Sedona area. I've been riding a friends decked out Ripmo (L) and on paper was convinced that was going to be the bike...but it never really "spoke" to me :-). I then demoed the Offering and new very quickly it was the bike. However for different reasons than you are looking at: First is felt comfortable being an Evil. It did everything that the following did only much, and in some cases, much much better. In Sedona we go up as much as down and usually in short chunky spurts. The offering climbed great and was amazing in the slow, chunky almost trials type terrain. Going down it was good but not quite as planted as the Ripmo with that 44mm offset which is more what you are looking for. With the X2 shock the Ripmo is really point and shoot but the Offering will put big grins on your face not only on the way down but everywhere.
    Good luck!
    PS: The Offerings are back ordered all over but there are still lots of Ripmo's available. I think people are coming to the same conclusion....

mtbr member
    Take a look at the latest edition of enduro-mtb (free e-magazine; you can download their app on itunes). It compares these 2 bikes and many several others in that same category like Santa Cruz Bronson, Trek Remedy, etc. They gave the overall nod to the Ripmo, declaring it a more all around bike primarily due to slightly more efficient pedaling, agility and more snappy handling. The Offering got also superb ratings overall, in particular for its rear suspension capabilities and descending chops. check it out.

mtbr member
    Why XL Ripmo and L Offering? The Ripmo has a longer reach and ETT in the same size...
    Kona Honzo CR Radtail | Niner RLT IMBA Steel Groadie

mtbr member
    im on the fence about this too. Although, im leaning more towards the Offering b/c I can transfer all my stuff from following mb on it and with the ripmo I would have to get a new fork.
    BUT..... my lbs has ibis and not evil.
    Ibis warranty is much better and I can support my lbs and test ride the ripmo.
    evil offering is a guess on if it will jell with me (much like when I got my following). At least I know I want a med....

More and more companies are doing long or lifetime warranties with frames now a days, I wish Evil would do this as well, considering their frames are great now (I think so).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NHMB View Post
    im on the fence about this too. Although, im leaning more towards the Offering b/c I can transfer all my stuff from following mb on it and with the ripmo I would have to get a new fork.
    BUT..... my lbs has ibis and not evil.
    Ibis warranty is much better and I can support my lbs and test ride the ripmo.
    evil offering is a guess on if it will jell with me (much like when I got my following). At least I know I want a med....

More and more companies are doing long or lifetime warranties with frames now a days, I wish Evil would do this as well, considering their frames are great now (I think so).
    Why would you have to get a new fork?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer View Post
    Why would you have to get a new fork?
    Probably due to the different fork offsets. Guessing he would want to run a 44 millimeter offset (FMB has a 51mm) on the Ibis because that is what they market it with.
    Evil | Following | Wreckoning | Offering

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
    I'm kinda split between these two frames. I've posted this query also in the ibis forum to even out the bias.

I'm alittle over 6'2", 185#. Opting for a XL Ripmo X2 shock versus L Offering.

I am coming from a Following V1. I ride primarily trails. See climbing as an necessary evil in order to rip the downs. My style is stability and just smash and plow down the most direct fall line. I also do 2 to 3 enduro races a season. This would be my only mtb in my quiver.

Thanks
    Iím 6í3 and was riding and racing a XL Ripmo over the summer. Coming from, and riding several Evil bikes before, the Ripmo never really felt awe-inspiring (just my option). Iíd tell people I wish I still had my old Evil. Primarily I was never satisfied with how the rear suspension (Fox Float X2) of the Ibis felt while descending. Overall though, the Ripmo was a very nice bike, it just wasnít right for me. Compared to the Offering, the Ripmo is lighter, has room for a larger rear tire and has space for a longer dropper post. Other than that, both bikes pedal great, and are very similar is size. All that aside, now Iím on XL Offering and itís just a way more fun bike to ride. Good luck and let us know what you end up going with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by funkyfunpuff View Post
    Probably due to the different fork offsets. Guessing he would want to run a 44 millimeter offset (FMB has a 51mm) on the Ibis because that is what they market it with.
    He does not say what fork he has. The stock build from Evil on the Following shows a 130mm Pike. Does he plan to extend that to 160mm? If so at that travel Evil uses a Fox 36 and Fanatik Bike recommends a 44mm offset. Or is it that he just would not want to run the pike at 160 on the Ripmo? Simple thing to do is just sell Following with the fork If he decides to go with the Ripmo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer View Post
    He does not say what fork he has. The stock build from Evil on the Following shows a 130mm Pike. Does he plan to extend that to 160mm? If so at that travel Evil uses a Fox 36 and Fanatik Bike recommends a 44mm offset. Or is it that he just would not want to run the pike at 160 on the Ripmo? Simple thing to do is just sell Following with the fork If he decides to go with the Ripmo.
    Correct, the Following is typically equipped with a 130mm / 51mm offset fork. That being said, I have seen people ride them with 120mm-140mm forks too.

NHMB would need to clarify, but if he is currently using a 140mm fork on his Following (MB), he can easily swap it to the Offering. If he has a 130mm fork, he can replace the airshaft pretty easily to covert the fork to 140mm in length and then use it on the Offering.

mtbr member
    yeah, so i have a 130mm 51 offset fork. If im going the offering route I would just put new airshaft. I personally would like to stick to how the manufacturer designed the bike (44mm offset on ripmo).

I tested a m ripmo at NEMBAfest in burlington VT last year. It didn't feel as plush as my following(which sounds wierd to say considering mine has 120mm of travel. I would like to try a large and mess with the settings my self on my home trail.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have a Ripmo and previously owned a Wreckoning. Not sure why anyone would think the Ripmo isnít plush, especially with the X2. Absolutely love this bike but as with any you need to take your time dialing in the suspension. Iím sure I would like the Offering too as Evil makes great bikes with killer customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aka bOb
    I'm still on the fence between the two.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I'm still on the fence between the two.
    If youíre still on the fence, I would say try to demo a Ripmo. For what Iíve seen, you either love the Ripmo or donít like it.

The Ripmo is an amazing pedaling platform. However, I didnít like it anywhere except climbing. Someone mentioned to me that they felt like Ibis dialed it in with a 51mm offset and then thru a 44 offset on it due to marketing and that seems possible. The Offering actually pedals really well too and with a 150 for doesnít give up anything to the Ripmo IMO. Just depends on which geo works for you.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by mrallen View Post
    If youíre still on the fence, I would say try to demo a Ripmo. For what Iíve seen, you either love the Ripmo or donít like it.

The Ripmo is an amazing pedaling platform. However, I didnít like it anywhere except climbing. Someone mentioned to me that they felt like Ibis dialed it in with a 51mm offset and then thru a 44 offset on it due to marketing and that seems possible. The Offering actually pedals really well too and with a 150 for doesnít give up anything to the Ripmo IMO. Just depends on which geo works for you.
    I might be able to just sit on a Rip but it's a 6hr round trip and I need to wait for the weather to break. Being right at 5'9" the problem with the Rip is I am right between sizes and would prolly need a large (which I don't want) but an Offering is just a touch bigger and a medium should work? I am leaning pretty heavily towards the Offering.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I might be able to just sit on a Rip but it's a 6hr round trip and I need to wait for the weather to break. Being right at 5'9" the problem with the Rip is I am right between sizes and would prolly need a large (which I don't want) but an Offering is just a touch bigger and a medium should work? I am leaning pretty heavily towards the Offering.
    I would say you definitely need a L Ripmo. I'm 5'10 and the L actually felt cramped when seated and the consensus in our group was that we all felt like we were going to get ejected out the front and way over the front wheel. The M Offering is perfect for me.

I always hesitate to just make a recommendation based on my experiences with a bike to someone else since it's a personal decision. However, the Ripmo is one of the few bikes I've ridden where it was completely clear the bike wasn't for me and a bunch of other people I know/ride with. I wouldn't take a chance on a bike like that if I couldn't demo it and be sure.

Now, keep in mind this is the Evil forum and I own the Offering, but this is a really good bike. I mean really good. After demoing the Ripmo for a couple of days, I took a chance on the Offering blind and it worked out. As soon as I built it up, it just felt normal riding it. Steeper STA didn't put me over the front, but helped climbing. The pedaling platform is the best from Evil that I've tried and the others are good. I've been through a lot of frames over the last few years from Yeti, Pivot, SC and Evil and tried a lot of others to compare. The Offering pedals with all of them. I haven't tried the new Yetis (130 and 150), but it's as good as my SB55 which is saying a lot.

The Offering is everything I wanted my SB55 to be with a 150 fork on it. It climbs great. It's plush through the chunk and stays glued to the ground when I want it, but is easy to pop and change lines when I want to as well. Since I had a Push 11.6 on my SB55, I had it reconfigured for the Offering and it just made a good suspension even better. The DELTA really shines with a coil. Despite being a good bit longer than the 55, it's actually easier to corner and in tight twisty stuff due to the short stays I think.

Like any bike, there could be something better for you out there, but I think the Offering would definitely work well for anyone looking at a 140mm travel 29er. I wouldn't hesitate to suggest it to someone. I can't say the same thing about the Ripmo even though there seem to be a lot of people that really like it too.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    The Ripmo has a falling leverage rate, The Offering is very Progressive. That's why some people feel the Ripmo bottoms too easily. If you're pushing it hard and weigh over 150lbs it does, especially with an X2. That's also why you can't run a coil on the Ripmo.

If you're focus is climbing- Ripmo. If you only climb to enjoy the down- Offering.