Offering sizing help- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,965

    Offering sizing help

    For you people that are in between sizes, what did you end up doing and do you have any regrets?

    Iím 5í11 with a 34.5 inch cycling inseam and a 78 cm saddle top to center of BB measurement. So more legs than torso.

    My most recent bike was a size large Ripley LS which fit me fine if not not for the shortish reach. Iíve owned a large V1 Following and loved it to death except for seated climbing since my saddle ended up way rearward with the slack seat angle. Thatís the reason I ended up selling it. Iíve since had a longing to return to an Evil due to that unquantifiable ride quality.

    On paper the medium Offering is closer to my prior bikes and with the long legs my seated cockpit length ends up being fairly long.

    So...what do you guys think?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    177
    I'm really close in height and inseam -- 5'11.5" and 34" cycling inseam, with a 0 ape index. I took a few spins on my friend's Medium Offering and it seems to fit well, so that's what I'm going with. I've had a Large Following MB, but had to slam the saddle forward due to the STA. That's not the case at all on the Offering, so the actual saddle to stem length for me is about the same.

    You could probably make either size work though, depending on the stem you run. I just didn't feel like the Medium was lacking at all in reach or wheelbase. The large would probably feel a little too unwieldy for me.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,965
    That's my line of thinking as well. When you're built like us, the bars seem like a mile away at full extension of the seatpost. I'm in the southeast US and a more nimble bike is better for our tight trails.

    Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    612
    You REALLY need to demo one. Everyone is different.
    Search through the offering thread. I am 6ft even, and there are guys like me on Mediums and guys like me on a Large.
    I picked a Large as I like the feeling of sitting in the bike rather than on the bike.
    That is just my preference. Everyone who is in between sizes like us has a different preference.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,965
    Thanks for the feedback.

    Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post
    You REALLY need to demo one. Everyone is different.
    Search through the offering thread. I am 6ft even, and there are guys like me on Mediums and guys like me on a Large.
    I picked a Large as I like the feeling of sitting in the bike rather than on the bike.
    That is just my preference. Everyone who is in between sizes like us has a different preference.
    Do you know what your reach/ape index is? Cycling inseam?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1078 View Post
    Do you know what your reach/ape index is? Cycling inseam?
    I do not.
    I sat on a medium, and liked the large better.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    For you people that are in between sizes, what did you end up doing and do you have any regrets?

    Iím 5í11 with a 34.5 inch cycling inseam and a 78 cm saddle top to center of BB measurement. So more legs than torso.

    My most recent bike was a size large Ripley LS which fit me fine if not not for the shortish reach. Iíve owned a large V1 Following and loved it to death except for seated climbing since my saddle ended up way rearward with the slack seat angle. Thatís the reason I ended up selling it. Iíve since had a longing to return to an Evil due to that unquantifiable ride quality.

    On paper the medium Offering is closer to my prior bikes and with the long legs my seated cockpit length ends up being fairly long.

    So...what do you guys think?
    Just a follow up. I built up the medium offering frame. Because of the steep STA, I had to push the saddle pretty far back to fit with my knees over the pedal axles. It fits me really well with a 50mm stem and 780mm bars. I think a large would work for fire roads and really high speed descents. Most of the trails here are up and down, twisty, and lots of rocky tech. The medium fits those well for me. It's very maneuverable for a big wheeled longer bike. Much more so than my Large SB5.5 was.Offering sizing help-saddle.jpgOffering sizing help-offer.jpg

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RS VR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1078 View Post
    Just a follow up. I built up the medium offering frame. Because of the steep STA, I had to push the saddle pretty far back to fit with my knees over the pedal axles. It fits me really well with a 50mm stem and 780mm bars. I think a large would work for fire roads and really high speed descents. Most of the trails here are up and down, twisty, and lots of rocky tech. The medium fits those well for me. It's very maneuverable for a big wheeled longer bike. Much more so than my Large SB5.5 was.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saddle.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	250.6 KB 
ID:	1241514Click image for larger version. 

Name:	offer.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	298.5 KB 
ID:	1241515
    You sly dog.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    You sly dog.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Heretic Skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    399
    5'11.25" with a 33.5" cycling inseam here. These threads are super helpful. If you guys have any photos of you sitting on the bike in your respective sizes, that would really cool to see.

    I am learning that ETT is a big deal if one has a bit more inseam than torso and/or a 0 ape index. I've run large and medium bikes in the past, but am just realizing how much shorter those top tubes were. My 2018 Torrent HT ETT is 645 mm and I've been fighting the bike for a proper seated position since I bought it.

    I had a medium Scott Scale 29er back in 2013, which had an ETT around 597 mm. It was definitely cramped if I stood and pedaled, but it really ever bothered me much. It also had a much smaller wheelbase and reach the modern bikes.

    At any rate, I am leaning towards buying a new HT frame with a shorter ETT, but demoing opportunities are scarce. Probably just gonna take a gamble and see it as a learning experience. Commencal Meta AM HT frames are $500 and all of my parts will swap right over, so not the most expensive experiment. The large has a 628 mm top tube, and the medium has a 602 mm top tube. I'm feeling dangerous and will likely grab the medium. If it ends up being too small, I will know that my ideal top tube lies between 602 mm and 645 mm, haha! If I were to get the large and it still felt a bit long, I'd hate myself so much.

    Anyway, feel free to chime in if any of you are alerted to this old thread. Thanks again for your input, as finding people with similar dimensions in the tweener camp can be tough at times.

Similar Threads

  1. Swain Resort is now offering Lift-Accessed MTB
    By Swain MTB in forum New York - New Jersey
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-08-2011, 04:11 AM
  2. Lightest 9 speed 11-34 Sram offering ?
    By Gobiking in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-03-2011, 10:06 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2011, 04:26 PM
  4. contours latest offering
    By delirian in forum Videos and POV Cameras
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-13-2011, 04:41 PM

Members who have read this thread: 39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.