Now I got to ride The Calling, again from Wrench Science- Mtbr.com
    Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

Now I got to ride The Calling, again from Wrench Science

Okay, I want to thank Henry at Wrench Science again, as I try a few bikes from The Evil line. This time The Calling. Last ride was The Following, and I wanted to try something a bit more "flickable" this time around. Well, The Calling did not disappoint. This is once again a big surprise to see how comfortable the EVIL bikes are. The Calling felt like my bike in 5 minutes, very easy to get accustomed to (29er Following took a good hour to get used to). The Calling is 130mm rear travel, with 140 PIke up front, and decked out with SRAM Eagle, and RACE FACE Turbine 30mm interior wheelset. Awesome bike! Ride was Skyline Wilderness Park, Napa CA. The first thing I noticed after setting up front and rear SAG was this bike has a little less travel than I am used to, but suspension ramps up so well that the frame outperforms my old 2011 140mm frame, No contest. The Calling is a more plush ride. Like the Evil Following, it is amazing how well the newest bikes use their travel. I was able to do a few 800 ft elevation drops, in pretty muddy conditions, and I felt right at home on a new bike. I never once felt like I needed to dial it back, because I was on a strange bike, I was just hard charging on wet slipperry rocks, as if The Calling was my own. I am now a huge fan of the DELTA rear suspension. My own bike is DW link from Dave Weagle, and his new DELTA link is pretty bottomless. I was a bit conservative on jumps, because of conditions, but I was very comfortable getting airborne (small 1-2 foot airs) 15 or so times during the 3 hour ride. The Calling frame tracks perfectly through imbedded 10 inch rock gardens, where any mistake will throw you off trail. 2 or 3 minute anaerobic climbs are no problem, as the suspension works over rocks and logs on the way up, no problem. Once again, better than my own bike. The only gripe at all is the rear shock lockout lever is pretty low, but I was getting used to it by the 3rd hour. Frame was super quiet the entire day, not one sound or squeak, and the internally routed cables made no noise. Very nice package Evil put together. The Pike 140 is familiar to me, as I use a Pike 160 on my own bike. I ran a little more SAG than usual to try to mimic my style of riding, 33% SAG. I was using entire fork entirely too often, it could have used a token. I personally would over fork The Calling with a 160 Fork, rake out the head tube, and head for the hills, because this frame is Fantastic! I like slack bikes as it turns out, but this setup worked great with the 140 if you like a more normal front end geometry, and It worked for me all day at a park where you can really push your limits if you want. SRAM Eagle was great, and I am a true believer in the 30mm insde width rims with Maxxis DHF 2.5 WT front. Point and shoot, with 25 PSI, for maximum traction and they save your ass if you start getting tired and making mistakes. They are not MY rims, so I kept it at 25 PSI. I really liked The Calling, it is a tad better in every area than the best 26ers of 4 Years ago. Great Evil warranty, and Wrench Science has a reputation of building you whatever you want, so many super custom bikes go through that shop, its nuts! If you want to build a dream bike, give them a shot. If you want a Factory spec kit, they are competitive, and Henry has some cool ideas to spec bikes just for you. The Calling for 3 hours at Skyline was a good day, 27.5 bikes are definitely more nimble, Im liking Evil The Following! Wow, I said it! Go test ride what you want, you may be surprised, I am!

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

Dont be worried about 130 travel. Its plenty with the ramp up!

Now I got to ride The Calling, again from Wrench Science-img_4673.jpgNow I got to ride The Calling, again from Wrench Science-img_4675.jpg

mtbr member
    800 ft drops...sick!!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Yeah, this time of year Downieville is out, and Santa Cruz Demo Forest is shut down. This would be a great bike for Whole Enchilada in Moab, 8000 ft elevation loss, and this bike would rail down Burro Pass DH.

Lazy Overachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    800 ft drops...sick!!
    Maybe he meant millimeters.....because.......math?

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Shoot, that went right over my head. I added "elevation" before drops. That would be some drop. Id have to give a Stephen Hawking style dictation, after that drop off.
    Last edited by hoolie; 02-28-2017 at 10:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Shoot, that went right over my head. I added "elevation" before drops. That would be some drop. Id have to give a Stephen Hawking style dictation.
    lol
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Lazy Overachiever
    Shoot, that went right over my head. I added "elevation" before drops. That would be some drop. Id have to give a Stephen Hawking style dictation.
    I got a good chuckle reading it.....thanks

Ever thought about doing the Rampage?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback Hoolie!

Just wanted to give folks here the spec of this build

Evil The Calling size Medium
    Pike 140mm Solo Air RCT3 Stock tokens
    Sram XX1 Eagle Gold Drivetrain including crankset
    Chris King Bottom Bracket
    Magura MT7 Brakes 180mm front and rear
    Race Face Turbine R Wheelset
    Maxxis Minions DHF 2.5 & DHR II 2.4 WT
    Race Face Six C Bar 35mm Rise
    Easton Haven 35 50mm Stem (Same as Race Face Turbine R stem)
    Race Face Turbine Dropper
    SDG Fly Mtn Saddle

Gotta say, I'm loving my Calling haha!

-Henry

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by WrenchScience View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Hoolie!

Just wanted to give folks here the spec of this build

Evil The Calling size Medium
    Pike 140mm Solo Air RCT3 Stock tokens
    Sram XX1 Eagle Gold Drivetrain including crankset
    Chris King Bottom Bracket
    Magura MT7 Brakes 180mm front and rear
    Race Face Turbine R Wheelset
    Maxxis Minions DHF 2.5 & DHR II 2.4 WT
    Race Face Six C Bar 35mm Rise
    Easton Haven 35 50mm Stem (Same as Race Face Turbine R stem)
    Race Face Turbine Dropper
    SDG Fly Mtn Saddle

Gotta say, I'm loving my Calling haha!

-Henry
    Jeni can't wait to demo THAT bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Jeni can't wait to demo THAT bike!
    Tell her, that's the one that was here! I do want her to try it because the more I read her ride reports, the more I think that this would work!

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by WrenchScience View Post
    Tell her, that's the one that was here! I do want her to try it because the more I read her ride reports, the more I think that this would work!
    You don't a small to demo, do you?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    You don't a small to demo, do you?

unfortunately not at this moment. Please email henry@wrenchscience.com and I can give you an idea of when that may happen.

Thank you!

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Zorg, are you small too? Damn, after some of your zingers, in these forums, I only decided not to hunt you down in case you were a giant! Now Im not so scared! Haha, just kidding. I am 5'6" and the medium Calling felt really good. My Turner 5-Spot is Medium, great. My Niner One 9 is a small, its perfect for Downieville or Bay Area. I feel really good on small 29ers, so I am on the hunt for a small Wreckoning to try. The Following in my other review was Medium, a tiny bit too large for me. At age 48, I feel like my next bike is the last big travel bike, before I switch to full XC, as ride into my sunset years (safety).

Paper or plastic?
    Zorg, are you small too? Damn, after some of your zingers, in these forums, I only decided not to hunt you down in case you were a giant! Now Im not so scared! Haha, just kidding. I am 5'6" and the medium Calling felt really good. My Turner 5-Spot is Medium, great. My Niner One 9 is a small, its perfect for Downieville or Bay Area. I feel really good on small 29ers, so I am on the hunt for a small Wreckoning to try. The Following in my other review was Medium, a tiny bit too large for me. At age 48, I feel like my next bike is the last big travel bike, before I switch to full XC, as ride into my sunset years (safety).
    Lol. My big mouth is inversely proportional to my height! Yeah, 5'7" giant here. I probably could fit a medium with a really short stem.

Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun