New/updated Following soon?- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005

New/updated Following soon?

I met a guy on the trails this weekend that claims to have insider info on a new updated Following. He said it will have boost, 10mm more travel, and be lighter than current model. Has anyone else heard this??

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by shoulderfu View Post
    I met a guy on the trails this weekend that claims to have insider info on a new updated Following. He said it will have boost, 10mm more travel, and be lighter than current model. Has anyone else heard this??
    That might tempt me to buy one, basically a calling x 29.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    The current Following,even after full 2 years on the trails is still one of the best 29 trail/am bikes around (Imho without any real competition in some areas still).

The thing that is real interesting is that Evil can upgrade it in a few areas which might make it the best in the segment for many years to come : boost,bit longer travel,bit longer,steeper sta,metric shock,full internal routing and lighter.

I'm no bike designer, but all these changes seems something that the guys at Evil could do quite easily for the next Following version.

Fingers crossed !

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    A bit more tyre clearance out back would be good for muddy UK conditions. Dont want too much extra rear travel. 120 keeps it nice and poppy and the DELTA is so capable. Slightly steeper seat angle would be good but overall i dont think they need to change much. Lighter would be ace as its quite a heavy frame

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Keeping it in black would also be awesome. Love my black frame

chupicocconut
    I've heard something is coming by Sea Otter. I'm sure it will be boost and have a metric shock like the Calling.....

having owned both a Following and now the Wreckoning, personally I'm hoping for a 29er with 140mm of travel. Maybe not even a new Following but just a new model between the Following and the Wrecker.

Evil, are you listening?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    This is what I'd want: (1) lighter frame, (2) steeper seat tube angle, (3) metric shock with room for piggy back, (4) internal routing for everything except brakes, (5) easier to swap flip chips, (6) boost, (7) 130mm rear travel, (8) bottle cage mount on bottom as well as top, (9) threaded BB, (10) something not black/gunmetal, but also not neon, (11) better paint job.

Of course, I don't know what's feasible from an engineering or cost perspective. I also love my Following already.

mtbr member

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by LowLow View Post
    This is what I'd want: (1) lighter frame, (2) steeper seat tube angle, (3) metric shock with room for piggy back, (4) internal routing for everything except brakes, (5) easier to swap flip chips, (6) boost, (7) 130mm rear travel, (8) bottle cage mount on bottom as well as top, (9) threaded BB, (10) something not black/gunmetal, but also not neon, (11) better paint job.

Of course, I don't know what's feasible from an engineering or cost perspective. I also love my Following already.
    That would be the ultimate bike for sure if even some of those suggestions were executed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I think a new Following would push me over the edge to get one. My hope is that they update the whole thing rather than just make a new rear triangle as I want it to be threaded BB, little bit longer, little bit steeper STA. If they want to wait a little longer in order to update the whole package sounds good to me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Has anyone heard any other whispers about a release date? I have a following now and love it but I'm on the fence about whether to drop the cash on a wreckoning or wait for the new version.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Well I did some sleuthing around and came across this photo which they put up a few days ago. The bike in the back left is definitely a completely different colour to the calling, more of a military camo green. Obviously I'm just tossing it out there, but it could be the first peek at the new following so surely it isn't far off being released if they have a complete paint job done.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRecYWeA...bicycles&hl=en

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I heard from some folks in the know that they'll be announcing an updated Following at Sea Otter. It's going to have boost and the metric shock, but that's all they knew about. Presumably, it'll have some other updates too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Id like to see the Following stay 120mm,
    But agree with all the other suggestions
    I've been holding out for the new following for a few months now

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Evil is running 10% off Following for this weekend. I would say a new design is close.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I have been told that Evil won't be at Sea Otter this year,,
    They seem to release a new bike in time for bike bible each year.
    Still I have my fingers crossed for a new following in the next few months

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    If metric, I'd like to see an option to squeeze in a Coil shock - maybe something like one of the smaller CC DBcoils or something in case the longer-stroke 11.6 hast too long a stroke, etc. I can dream...

LCW
    mtbr member

New/updated Following soon?

Only update I'd like to see on the next Following is room for Plus tires. Adjustable or swapable dropouts would be money.

Edit: and lighter weight... it's a pig
    Last edited by LCW; 04-03-2017 at 07:05 PM.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Boost & Threaded BB and it would likely push me over the edge on pulling the trigger on a Following over the other few options I've also been considering. Update to metric sizing would be included too I would assume with the direction the industry is going.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Option to run Plus or no deal for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by gfowkes View Post
    Option to run Plus or no deal for me.
    This would be a big plus (really, no pun intended until I realized I had typed that ). I was hoping updating to Boost would give them the added clearance for this to be a bonus as well!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Is a no Brainer. Would fit well in their product line. But, if BB isn't adjusted, would present an low BB issue.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I wonder if Evil is too small of an outfit to refresh *both* the Following and the Insurgent this year? I'm on a Following now, but doubt I could be convinced to trade up for an updated version. However, I could justify a second bike if a new Insurgent were to be released...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'd say its highly unlikely. With the way that their product line has been evolving, they seem to work on one bike at a time and then go from there. It's a small outfit (I've been there) and the costs, both in time and capital, are very high for developing a new carbon frame. The Following will come first, and my bet is that the Insurgent update will follow in 8-12 months.

LCW
    mtbr member
    New color? Or just an employee custom deal?...

https://instagram.com/p/BSpCNqugUI6/

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post

Looks like a plus tire in front but not back. I hope that isn't a new color and just one for camouflage.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

I don't know, but that color is sweet.

wheelie king

Product manager's custom color.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 661lee View Post
    Product manager's custom color.
    Good to know... hope it's not production. It's ugly AF.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I heard a frame manufacturing problem has pushed the release date back to the fall. Can anyone confirm?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

mtbr member
    That's fricken awesome! I saw wayyy more Evil's at the Otter this year. Good to see the recognition coming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    "You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Man i hope they get a updated Following soon!

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Im glad I ran across this thread. I too will be in the market for a new bike this year. After testing the Following, I was pretty blown away by the capabilities of such a short travel bike. But I want more travel for the 18-30 days in Tahoe/Downieville/Moab/Boulder City(Its awesome!, its 30 min from Vegas!). Even more travel for SOME Bay Area rides would make for comfort rather than need. The Wreckoning is a tiny bit overkill and heavy frame, though I think I could make it work for my only bike. I agree with above comments that a 130-140 travel Evil 29er is pretty key. Maybe the lower end of 130-135 lets Evil compete with other manufacturers and still keep traditional Following owners happy. Of course 140 rear seems pretty perfect to me, but that gets close to Wreckoning. If Evil had 29er with 140 rear and 160 fork, Im buying today!

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rb_daniel View Post
    I heard a frame manufacturing problem has pushed the release date back to the fall. Can anyone confirm?
    The further the better digging my current Following too much to replace it just yet lol

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

LCW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Im glad I ran across this thread. I too will be in the market for a new bike this year. After testing the Following, I was pretty blown away by the capabilities of such a short travel bike. But I want more travel for the 18-30 days in Tahoe/Downieville/Moab/Boulder City(Its awesome!, its 30 min from Vegas!). Even more travel for SOME Bay Area rides would make for comfort rather than need. The Wreckoning is a tiny bit overkill and heavy frame, though I think I could make it work for my only bike. I agree with above comments that a 130-140 travel Evil 29er is pretty key. Maybe the lower end of 130-135 lets Evil compete with other manufacturers and still keep traditional Following owners happy. Of course 140 rear seems pretty perfect to me, but that gets close to Wreckoning. If Evil had 29er with 140 rear and 160 fork, Im buying today!
    Seems like they could just have a new 29er that nests nicely between the Following and Wreckoning.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The further the better digging my current Following too much to replace it just yet lol
    But I want to replace my Ripley!!

LCW
    mtbr member
    But I want to replace my Ripley!!
    What about Ripley 3?

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    What about Ripley 3?
    Would like to try something different. Have had my eye on a Following for a while.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Would like to try something different. Have had my eye on a Following for a while.
    You won't be disappointed!

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I hope they dont change the travel The following with 120mm rear is more than capable for anything I ride,
    after a weekend demo I'm keen to buy the Gen 2 following when it finally comes out

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I agree maybe a new bike that runs 135-140 rear travel would be pretty awesome! I love my Insurgent i just want something with wagon wheels that isnt 160 like the wreckoning.

mtbr member
    135 rear 150mm front would get my vote. I just don't see what could be done to the following without changing it's radness. I want everything following but a little more capable in the gnar= ideal bike
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    That's a bit like saying I want a super model wife that cooks, cleans and puts out every night.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by neilingle View Post
    That's a bit like saying I want a super model wife that cooks, cleans and puts out every night.
    I agree, If they increase the travel it could become a do all bike,
    that doesn't do anything exceptionally well.

FM
    mtbr member
    More travel is going to increase the BB height and wheelbase, or compromise things elsewhere. I seriously suspect most people who are requesting more travel on the following haven't actually ridden one, it can easily hang with most 160 bikes. And that's the current model, stock... lots of little things that can be done to optimize the shorter travel (like the RWS bearings, shock tuning etc)

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    FM! Good point, but I think alot of people will definitely choose a Pivot Switchblade at 135 rear over the 120mm Following, me included. I am not sure I would pick a 120 travel frame as my Moab, Whole Enchilada bike. Same for Toads Wild Ride, or Downieville. The bike may not bottom out, but Evil does not have alot of bikes in stores, or Demo events to sell the point that it ramps up at the end of travel. It seems alot of people are buying 140 rear 29er bikes, no test ride necessary, they read specifications online that meet their percieved needs, and check off boxes. Im not buying anything without a test ride, I loved the Following tester, may be great for 80% of what I would ride it on. Too bad I was at Rockville, slow tech riding, I should have taken it to something more DH oriented.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I just had my Following out in Moab last weekend. Rode Porcupine rim, Mag 7/Blue dot/Portal, Navajo Rocks, and Horsethief in Fruita. It's far more capable on that terrain than my previous 145 mm travel smaller wheeled bike. I haven't ridden it at Downieville yet, but it would be perfect for that trail as well. The beauty of this 120 mm of Evil travel is that it's poppy and fun on tame trails, but can still easily handle the rowdy stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Classic case of people demanding to be over biked 99% of the time. I included myself on this point before anybody has a go.

If you are constantly finding the limit of a bike like the following maybe you should enter some top level races like the EWS series.

Most people will never push their bikes close to 80% of its capability.

Check some of Arron Gwynn videos on his Jeffsy, smashing it.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Yeah, as I said, Following was awesome where I rode it. Some of us at 50 years old are not overbiked for skills, but for comfort. No way I am buying a 120mm frame, and riding it my usual 200 rides per year. I Definitely like the 160 Pike/140 rear on my current bike, nice and plush. I think Evil could sell more bikes at 130-140mm, because people want that travel, regardless of their skill level. Vega77, that pop off of small jumps all over the park is what I really like, little 6"-12" bumps or rocks that you can get some altitude off of.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vega77 View Post
    I just had my Following out in Moab last weekend.
    Cool, I was there as well! Rode Whole Enchilada, Mag7, Hymasa/Ahab/Jacksons & Soveriegn trail. I chose to take the Following rather than my 160mm Banshee Rune. The Following actually feels plusher/more comfortable for everything short of drops to flat or high speed, big square edge type stuff. And it corners sooooo goooood. I've got a 140mm Fox 36 with 20mm axle on mine, and burly wide carbon rims (one of which I cracked on Mag7). Lots of things you can do with the build to nudge the Following towards bigger bike territory.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Brand of rim? I have been following the Project Wreckoning build from FC, with NOX rims. 28.5 pounds is Pretty intriguing, but thats alot of bike (frame weight and travel for every day bike, on my local tame trails).

FM
    mtbr member
    Brand of rim? I have been following the Project Wreckoning build from FC, with NOX rims. 28.5 pounds is Pretty intriguing, but thats alot of bike (frame weight and travel for every day bike, on my local tame trails).
    2yr old LB 38/32mm with the DH lay-up. Cased this rock ledge/gap thing on Mag7 really hard. 100% pilot error. Although the rim cracked all the way up the sidewall, the rim was still pretty true. I threw some duct tape over the bead and put a tube in, it got me down the portal trail just fine.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Hard to explain those rocks to people that have not been there. It's alot of rocks! Add to that fatigue. Did you wish you had more travel than the Following for any of it? Or all good?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Cool, I was there as well! Rode Whole Enchilada, Mag7, Hymasa/Ahab/Jacksons & Soveriegn trail. I chose to take the Following rather than my 160mm Banshee Rune. The Following actually feels plusher/more comfortable for everything short of drops to flat or high speed, big square edge type stuff. And it corners sooooo goooood. I've got a 140mm Fox 36 with 20mm axle on mine, and burly wide carbon rims (one of which I cracked on Mag7). Lots of things you can do with the build to nudge the Following towards bigger bike territory.
    Nice, the weather was perfect! I agree with you about the corning. It's just unbelievable. I'd like to try out that 36. I have the stock 130 Pike on mine. Do you still run it in low most of the time?

That really sucks about your rim. I usually run 3-4 psi above normal out there. So far I haven't had any problems, but there's a good bit of luck involved too.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah, as I said, Following was awesome where I rode it. Some of us at 50 years old are not overbiked for skills, but for comfort. No way I am buying a 120mm frame, and riding it my usual 200 rides per year. I Definitely like the 160 Pike/140 rear on my current bike, nice and plush. I think Evil could sell more bikes at 130-140mm, because people want that travel, regardless of their skill level. Vega77, that pop off of small jumps all over the park is what I really like, little 6"-12" bumps or rocks that you can get some altitude off of.
    I can understand the plush/comfort thing. The Following is not what I would call "plush", but it's soooo capable. It pretty much demands that you get out over the front and ride it aggressively. When I get tired I definitely need to rein it in a little bit.

If Evil could add 10-20 mm more travel, and keep the liveliness and maneuverability the same, it would be a dream bike. I don't know if that's possible. A new 140 mm travel bike to split the difference between the Following and the Wreck may be the answer for that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neilingle View Post

Check some of Arron Gwynn videos on his Jeffsy, smashing it.
    ....which has 140mm of travel

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vega77 View Post
    I have the stock 130 Pike on mine. Do you still run it in low most of the time?

That really sucks about your rim. I usually run 3-4 psi above normal out there. So far I haven't had any problems, but there's a good bit of luck involved too.
    Yeah, it was a great week. Coming from the PNW, so nice to get some sunshine!

I ran high setting in Moab. I've probably ran it 50/50 between the 2 settings. Something I like about the Evil is that the difference between high and low isn't ridiculously huge. A lot of the bikes I've had with adjustable travel, the geometry ends up being jacked in all but one of the settings, but not the Evil.

I was actually running crazy high pressure when I cracked the rim, at least 32psi. I was running a tube and didn't want to risk a flat. Like I said, 100% pilot error. The rim cracked clear up the sidewall, but is still 95% true and rode fine.

Hard to explain those rocks to people that have not been there. It's alot of rocks! Add to that fatigue. Did you wish you had more travel than the Following for any of it? Or all good?
    So this is my personal preference/opinion only, maybe it's down to rider style: I think the Following is perfect and I definitely wouldn't want more travel for a couple of reasons.

First is that with 120mm and the mid-stroke support the following has, it can be set up so that it's very plush initially (again, plusher than my 160mm bike) but almost never bottoms out. When you add more travel, the bike will obviously use that travel during general trail riding, and then the suspension creates undesirable effects on the geometry such as wallowing, bobbing, the seat angle getting too slack while climbing, "stink-bugging" when you're braking into corners, etc. For me the Following is bang-on perfect in that the geometry remains relatively consistent and active regardless of what's happening.

When you go up in travel (say 160mm for example) a bunch of things happen. If you set the bike up for comfort, then it gets slacker when you're climbing and often steeper when you're descending- exactly the opposite of what you want. I find climbing on a soft, slacked-out long-travel bike wears me out a lot faster than riding a more efficient bike with less travel, weight being equal. Anyways, the ways to avoid that are setting the suspension up so you only use the end of the travel on big hits, which means the whole bike is riding higher in it's travel 95% of the time. You're raising your BB and center of gravity which sucks on smoother trails. Or you get a bike with a bunch of anti-squat, compression damping or a platform shock, which are all sort of crude band-aids.

The following is really unique because of that mid-stroke support, it can be tuned to feel plush off the top and rarely bottom out. This can also make it a bit tricky to tune in, because if you expect to bottom it out once a ride, you're likely to set it up too soft. A lot of people think they need more travel based on having ridden more XC-oriented short travel bikes, but the Following rides a lot different.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I had a very different experience with my Following. I found that I had to run much lower sag than recommended in order to prevent bottoming. I was definitely riding the bike beyond its intentions, though, so I would not have expected any short travel trail bike to handle much better.

I sold my Following recently in favor of a bigger bike. While it was an amazing all around trail bike, limitations started to show in not only the length of the bike, but also the rear shock.

Part of what makes the Following feel so approachable and nimble is the relatively short wheelbase. Paired with the big wheels, I found that it made the bike feel a bit "tippy" at really high speeds over rough ground. It was a worthwhile sacrifice in a lot of scenarios to have a bike that climbed and handled low to moderate speeds so well, but when I was riding really steep and fast stuff it certainly got scary at times.

I also personally think that the stock shock is pretty crap that bike, and from a heat management perspective, the bike would benefit enormously from a lower leverage ration/longer shock. I ended up running much less sag that recommended (around 17%), and still had to use 2 bottomless bands in the shock to get it to ramp properly. Again, this was for riding really blown out trails with sizeable features and would not have been necessary on most trails, but I think that a different shock would at least allow for more tunability to help optimize for the best of all worlds (more HSC, for example).

I think that both of these are areas where Evil could improve the next Following.

mtbr member
    I personally think the wheelbase is what makes the following. As discussed ad nauseam there isn't much room to tweak the following any which way without ending up with a much different bike...& many don't grasp the basic geometry of what constitutes a triangle. With that, I would much rather see a bike somewhere between the following and wrech.

I agree with FM, the following sus is always "there". No wallowing and there is always a platform to push off of yet it remains active...awesome.

I also agree with zhendo, I don't have much trouble finding the followings limits on some of my rides. Once you start reaching fast straight line speeds in chunk, the following doesn't play nice. Everywhere else including the fun super tech ledgy stuff of Moab my following has been nothing short of stellar.

I want a bigget stiffer version of the following. If evil makes one I'll buy it.

mtbr member
    New Following: Build it a little beefier like the Calling, 130 rear/ 140 front, make the geo longer like the Calling/ Wreckoning...wait, just make it a 29er Calling.

It has to get longer for us XL riders. The current XL is really just a L the way it is.

The Riot may get sold if that happens!

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zhendo View Post
    I had a very different experience with my Following. I found that I had to run much lower sag than recommended in order to prevent bottoming. I was definitely riding the bike beyond its intentions, though, so I would not have expected any short travel trail bike to handle much better.
    Zhendo, I see we both live near Seattle. For me, Predator is about the threshold where I switch bikes...I'll happily ride either bike there. For any of the exits or most BC riding I grab my Banshee Rune.

I think that's the rub and as you said, the following is an AM/trail bike, not a FR/DH bike. I'm happy to have one of those too...It's nice to have horses for courses ;-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Zhendo, I see we both live near Seattle. For me, Predator is about the threshold where I switch bikes...I'll happily ride either bike there. For any of the exits or most BC riding I grab my Banshee Rune.

I think that's the rub and as you said, the following is an AM/trail bike, not a FR/DH bike. I'm happy to have one of those too...It's nice to have horses for courses ;-)
    Predator is fine on the Following - I love lower Predator on the bike, though I feel upper Predator starts to push it a little bit when you're throwing it into some of the chunky steeps. I am an instructor and loved the Following for teaching, because it's such a poppy and nimble bike that it makes it really easy to make demonstrations look good to students at speeds slow enough for them to see what's happening.

In my mind, the Rune and Following have a lot of overlap for the average buyer. So, while in your case it's rad that you can afford both, lots of people can't afford 2 very sick bikes like that. Evil has been pushing the Wreckoning as the "one bike for all", but the reality is that it requires a lot of speed to get a bike like that to feel good. The guys at Evil seem to really like bikes that ride "big", so I'm hoping that the Following picks up a little bit of muscle to become more of a PNW rider's "one bike"

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Must be getting close. Evil has the current frame on sale for $2,099. Great deal.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Must be getting close. Evil has the current frame on sale for $2,099. Great deal.
    Agreed, although they did run this same deal late last year. So tempted but can't help but to wonder how soon the next one will be available.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenaustin View Post
    Agreed, although they did run this same deal late last year. So tempted but can't help but to wonder how soon the next one will be available.
    Me, too. Last I heard was in the next couple months.

Learning to jump
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenaustin View Post
    Yes, but shortly after they announced The Calling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Evil Following

LCW
    mtbr member
    Sadly that deal isn't on the Wreckoning

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hmmm....just went to Evil website to purchase a Following and got this message:

SORRY - THE PRODUCT 'FOLLOWING - X-LARGE / GUNMETAL' IS ALREADY SOLD OUT.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Try Fanatik

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Try Fanatik
    Ordered!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Some interesting comments in this thread for sure ! My take on this is that the Following needs to be a Following,of course with improvements like boost,stiffer rear triangle, piggy back mm shock like a super deluxe and maybe some geo tweeks . imagine how much more capable a bike like this will be, while still maintaining that signature "pop" the current Following has.
    making it 130/140 rear imho will cause the bike to be something else completely.
    maybe there is a place in Evil's line for a 140 29er, but i really hope it wont replace the Following !

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    What are the thoughts on this?
    https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/14676819/

nel
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by atekt View Post
    What are the thoughts on this?
    https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/14676819/
    Good spot! The swingarm is certainly different to the current Following and looks more like the swingarm on the Wreckoning / Insurgent / Calling.

Compared to the current Following swingarm the size of the main pivot bolt head is bigger and the flip chip bolts are in a different pattern and have smaller heads.

mtbr member
    Man I'm biased to be sure but unless you like weighing your builds more than riding, if you're debating if you 'need' more travel, the answer is yes, yes you do. The Wreckoning is so good... It's like the bike I've been looking for, for about 3 years...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nel View Post
    Good spot! The swingarm is certainly different to the current Following and looks more like the swingarm on the Wreckoning / Insurgent / Calling.

Compared to the current Following swingarm the size of the main pivot bolt head is bigger and the flip chip bolts are in a different pattern and have smaller heads.
    Does it have a Metric/Trunion shock? Can't quite tell from the photo. If so, it's prob new.

mtbr member
    There's a lot of pics/footage of Strobel's bike. Whatever it is, in the shot of it next to the patrol it's crazy slack compared to the patrol. Any reason why it's not just an orange Wreckoning?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    There's a lot of pics/footage of Strobel's bike. Whatever it is, in the shot of it next to the patrol it's crazy slack compared to the patrol. Any reason why it's not just an orange Wreckoning?
    It does look crazy slack but it also doesn't look like 160mm up front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by atekt View Post
    It does look crazy slack but it also doesn't look like 160mm up front.
    Agreed...looks more like 140-150mm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Also, that seat post doesn't look like a 34.9 dia. This could all just be wishful thinking though

mtbr member
    Yep it's hard to say. I keep waffling between orange wreck with reduced travel or new bike. Whatever it is, it looks super dialed under Strobel in the vids.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Hey Whalenard, where about have you seen other photos or the pic you're talking about with it next to a patrol? I've only seen the pb photos but I'm keen to scope them out.

mtbr member
    Ha, can't find it now! It was a pic of a patrol and what I assume was Strobel's orange bike with orange 36 leaned up against a picnic table. Not on PB. If I come across it I'll post a link.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Haha no worries dude. Do you know if it was just on the net or instagram because I might go digging around myself.

mtbr member
    I don't do instagram but may come across pics from there, dunno. I spoke to my buddy about the slackness of the bike via the same pic...it exists

Learning to jump
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrubNub View Post
    Haha no worries dude. Do you know if it was just on the net or instagram because I might go digging around myself.
    https://m.pinkbike.com/news/2017-cas...-mountain.html

2015 Evil Following

Learning to jump
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by CHsurfer View Post
    https://m.pinkbike.com/photo/14676790/

Really slack. I think it's his old following with a longer than recommended fork.

2015 Evil Following

mtbr member

Really slack. I think it's his old following with a longer than recommended fork.

Nice work, that's the pic. It's not the same swingarm as the current following. Slack for days.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

The slackness is because he's sitting on it...

mtbr member
    I believe we may be looking at the new Following. I have a Fox 36 set at 140mm on my Following and the stanchion exposure appears to be the same. If this were an orange Wreckoning, I think we'd see a fork with a lot more travel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zhendo View Post
    The slackness is because he's sitting on it...
    Certainly a factor. Not sure how much bb drop either has off the top of my head, but certainly could be a sagged wreck

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    130 or 140 with a stiffer rear triangle and I'm so in. A touch slacker would be ideal. And black. Make it black

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Really excited for the update, been wanting to switch up my bike but can't bring myself to replace my Following.

10-15mm more travel would be awesome if they could preserve the same feel. I'd like a bit more reach as well, say 450mm on a size large? I wouldn't want the wheelbase getting too long though.

Steeper seat tube angle, stiffer rear triangle, room for different shock options, a bit more tire clearance, and a bit less weight rounds out the rest of my wish list.

Also, even though it's not a priority, the paint finish on my orange following is pretty terrible, maybe try to improve that a bit or better yet, just make it raw carbon with a clear coat.

mtbr member
    I was in a LBS today that sells EVIL Bikes. I was told that the new Following should be out in July. A few of the things he mentioned were Trunnion Mount Shock and Boost Spacing.

That could be old news, but I hadn't seen that yet from reading through the threads quickly.

I am hoping to purchase one in the fall, unless a test ride proves otherwise.
    2019 Yeti SB150
    2017 YT Jeffsy AL Two 29
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Please keep the black frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMTBer View Post
    I was in a LBS today that sells EVIL Bikes. I was told that the new Following should be out in July. A few of the things he mentioned were Trunnion Mount Shock and Boost Spacing.

That could be old news, but I hadn't seen that yet from reading through the threads quickly.
    Thx for the insights - not 'old news'... but the rumors seem to be converging. Boost and trunion mount seems undoubtable. Extra travel, reach and/or room for 27+ is questionable/interesting... and we can hope. If most of these make it in, it could turn out to be a major upgrade.

Question about the Trunion / Metric shock mount standards:

Does that mean that some of the smaller coil shocks (e.g. Cane Creak DB Coil) would be able to fit?

(I'm not familiar w/ the standard, but have always been super curious about the feel of the Following w/ a coil on it... Folks w/ the Wreckoning say time and time again how a coil literally transforms the bike and improves climbing considerably...)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by laserjockrock View Post
    Thx for the insights - not 'old news'... but the rumors seem to be converging. Boost and trunion mount seems undoubtable. Extra travel, reach and/or room for 27+ is questionable/interesting... and we can hope. If most of these make it in, it could turn out to be a major upgrade.

Question about the Trunion / Metric shock mount standards:

Does that mean that some of the smaller coil shocks (e.g. Cane Creak DB Coil) would be able to fit?

(I'm not familiar w/ the standard, but have always been super curious about the feel of the Following w/ a coil on it... Folks w/ the Wreckoning say time and time again how a coil literally transforms the bike and improves climbing considerably...)
    Specifically the 11/6

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've heard Metric, Boost, built in chain guide.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Would be sweet if the rear arm could be retrofitted to the old one...

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

mtbr member
    I would love to see the reach increased or the seat tubes shortened so I could size up.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMTBer View Post

I am hoping to purchase one in the fall, unless a test ride proves otherwise.
    I was told by the local Evil dealer "not until next year". I hope you're right though, can't see how they could afford to wait until next year.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast