New rear shock for Wreckoning- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

New rear shock for Wreckoning

Hi,

So I recently let a friend borrow my Wreckoning for the day. He is waiting his new ride and is without a bike.

I value his opinion as he is a far better rider and pushes bikes like the Wreckoning to the limits it needs.

His comments was he didn't like the feel of the Monarch shock.

Would be good to hear what other people have replaced the monarch with and why. Also how are the results?

Tia

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Push 11/6 is fantastic on the Wreckoning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ok so what makes the push 11/6 better than others and will other less expensive coils work?
    What about the Fox DHX2?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by neilingle View Post
    Ok so what makes the push 11/6 better than others and will other less expensive coils work?
    What about the Fox DHX2?
    The 11/6 is just a highly refined, highly tunable shock. It can be resized and tuned for a massive variety of bikes without having to buy a new shock. It's also a unique design, with two completely separate sets of damping circuits, so you can have two different tunes for different styles of riding that you can set up how you want.

I can't speak to the other possible replacements on the Wreck, as I haven't ridden them on that bike, but there are a few really good options out there that get positive reviews from Wreckoning owners, the X2, the Storia... Check out some of the other Wreckoning threads. There's some good info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The 11/6 would probably be considered the top option if ultimate performance with no regard to weight was your goal. Unfortunately, it is stupid expensive. Of couse...so is our sport of mountain biking.

I would bet that a DHX2 coil shock would do very well on the Wreckoning and save you a lot of money if you wanted to go coil. You can get last year's version for super cheap at Jenson USA right now.

I agree with your friend's assessment of the Monarch Plus on the Wreckoning. It's OK, but not that great.

I recently installed the new Fox DPX2. I thought I wanted the Float X2 but called Evil and they said their recommendation for an air shock was the DPX2. After several rides, I am very impressed. It blows the Monarch Plus away and any desire I had to experiment with a coil has disappeared. Multiple reviews have said it mimics the smooth feel of the Float X2 yet Evil said it allows the Wreckoning to retain it's playful/ poppy nature. I wholeheartedly agree with that assessment.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Your friend doesn't like the feel of the shock, but what do YOU think about it? If you don't have any complaints about it, I wouldn't upgrade just yet. If you do have specific complaints (poor small bump sensitivity, big hit performance, fast repeated chunder, wallowy, prolonged descent performance degradation, etc . . .) then you can look for a shock that best addresses that problem.

When I got a full suspension bike, I was quite pleased with the stock shock performance. It gave me the confidence to start riding more aggressively and more technical terrain. As I got better and faster, I started to notice some limitations to the shock. I upgraded and am very happy with the results, but if I had got the better shock at the beginning, I don't know that I would have noticed a difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Duffman View Post
    Your friend doesn't like the feel of the shock, but what do YOU think about it? If you don't have any complaints about it, I wouldn't upgrade just yet. If you do have specific complaints (poor small bump sensitivity, big hit performance, fast repeated chunder, wallowy, prolonged descent performance degradation, etc . . .) then you can look for a shock that best addresses that problem.

When I got a full suspension bike, I was quite pleased with the stock shock performance. It gave me the confidence to start riding more aggressively and more technical terrain. As I got better and faster, I started to notice some limitations to the shock. I upgraded and am very happy with the results, but if I had got the better shock at the beginning, I don't know that I would have noticed a difference.
    Nice! Every now and then you run into some true wisdom in a public forum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Duffman View Post

These are great points. I also would stress that there aren't necessarily "better" shocks. I have a Wreckoning and own both the stock Monarch and an 11/6. They yield a very different ride, but there are many times when I find myself preferring the Monarch.

The Monarch (with eyelet needle bearing kit) has a much more progressive, "poppy" feeling. I find the bike to pedal better with the shock open, and I also find it much easier to get airborne on smaller trail features. Basically the bike feels like a super-Following.

The 11/6 by contrast has incredible small-bump sensitivity and gives a "hover-bike" feel blasting through rough and repeated hits. But it also tends to absorb lips and it's harder to boost off trail features. In general, very push and poppy/playful are opposite sides of the coin, and a function of LSC and spring rate.

All to say: what your friend preferred and what you like might be different. I'm faster down a trail with the 11/6 mounted, but I often have more fun with the Monarch, and often have even more fun that that on my Following.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Personally, I think the monarch get's a bad wrap. People love to immediately swap it out to something else, following the trend.

I had a vivid air and a monarch and ended up preferring the monarch. I find that it has better small bump sensitivity, and overall feels really smooth through it's stroke. It feels poppy and it is nice and progressive. I'm 210 and can run it with no volume spacers at 30% sag and rarely bottom. I rode it in whistler this summer and it worked well.

Are there better shocks? I'm sure. But, it's not some POS that makes the bike work terribly. There are plenty of enduro racers using the monarch for 3 to 20 min rough DH stages and killing it. Yeah, they are sponsored by RockShox, but they could choose other shocks from them and have them custom tuned.

If I was to buy another shock I'd probably try the Fox X2, but I'm sure it is worth the money and extra weight. My wreck is at 31.5lbs already and is currently my one bike quiver. The monarch is a nice light shock for the performance you get.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Also I should mention that shock setup can play a big part in any particular shock not feeling good. I see so many people who have rebound set way to slow and it causes bikes to feel dead and stack up over fast rough stuff, not allowing the shock to perform properly.

mtbr member
    True that the Monarch Plus is a fine shock.

However, when a choice is considered, the DPX2 on the Wreckoning has offered everything we like about the Monarch (playful, poppy, sensitive to small bumps) but handles sharp impacts noticeably better. Additionally, when you dial up the compression in low or use the medium and firm modes it doesn't make the ride harsher like the Monarch Plus.

If you are considering a coil/ Float X2 but like the Monarch Plus ride...the DPX2 just might be the best of both worlds. This was the exact decision I was trying to make. After a few rides on the DPX2 I lost all interest in the X2 or a coil shock.

My experience mirrors this review.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by redrhino View Post
    Also I should mention that shock setup can play a big part in any particular shock not feeling good. I see so many people who have rebound set way to slow and it causes bikes to feel dead and stack up over fast rough stuff, not allowing the shock to perform properly.
    How many clicks from full fast do you recommend then?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    FAST released an updated piston with specific shim stack for it. I haven't ridden it yet myself but you could contact Brennan Autosports for more information

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by neilingle View Post
    How many clicks from full fast do you recommend then?
    Depends on your weight and the psi in the shock. I'm 210-215lbs. 240psi in the shock and I think I'm counting 7 clicks from fully open. The clicks are a bit dull and hard to identify.

This is a good video on rebound setup: [Video] How to CORRECTLY setup rebound damping - The Hub - Mountain Biking Forums / Message Boards - Vital MTB I prefer it slightly faster than his setup strategy results in.

I also have a rwc needle bearing kit which helps make the stroke slightly smoother, but isn't some holy grail of performance increases.