New Evil Following- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015

New Evil Following

mtbr member
    I find it strange that they talk about light weight, XC, and SC34 fork, but don’t list any weight. Lots of stuff going on +157 makes wonder if it even can be “ XC light.”

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Why do people call a 120/130 travel or even 120/120 an xc bike or even partly xc. The TB4 or norco optic or something can ride basically anything at nearly the same speeds longer travel bikes. They are trail bikes (just on the 5-10% shorter travel side of things). Xc bike this xc that, even the Ripley isn't an XC bike. arggggggg. Rant over .

mtbr member
    Yeah, 157 rear end is an odd match to non-piggyback shock for sure. And Push just introduced the new ElevenSix with a trunnion option specifically for the Following. All the talk about light weight an “XC” seems like mis-targeted marketing.

Bummed to see them go to SuperBoost, I was not really in the market for a Following but would’ve considered a new Wreckoning. Assuming is SB as well I’m out.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    It is nice that it looks like it's going to have great tire clearance. I'll just have to ride one .

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Yeah, 157 rear end is an odd match to non-piggyback shock for sure. And Push just introduced the new ElevenSix with a trunnion option specifically for the Following. All the talk about light weight an “XC” seems like mis-targeted marketing.

Bummed to see them go to SuperBoost, I was not really in the market for a Following but would’ve considered a new Wreckoning. Assuming is SB as well I’m out.
    In the description it says you can still piggyback.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

mtbr member
    Internal cable routing is stupid, but I do like that Evil has used tubes on the Following for the internal cable routing. They've also bumped the warranty period up to lifetime on new frames.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Judging by Fanatik's Custom Bike Builder the New Following frame is only 65 grames lighter than my Offering frame. So much for it being a lot lighter...

mtbr member
    Bike looks pretty dope to me. I owned a V1 and they basically addressed evey single thing I would've liked to see happen. Can't speak to the 157 spacing though.

Did they move the pivot location at all? Aggressive breaking action was really the only thing I didn't care for in the platform at 120mm.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Imo the HT angle isn't as conservative as pinkbike is saying.

Most people will be running 130 pikes on there, not 120SC, that's like a whole degree by itself (a2c on pike is higher + 10mm), then by the time you lower it to x-low it's going to be at the ibis ripley sort of 66.5~ range.

mtbr member
    I'm willing to bet that people will be slapping on 140mm forks and anglesets too.

I think the 157 is for some "future proofing" of the bike. 157 and XC does not really go hand in hand. This is going to be a 28-30lb "XC bike".

I like the geo. It enough to not jump the shark. They didn't just take an enduro bike and shorten the travel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    I'm willing to bet that people will be slapping on 140mm forks and anglesets too.
    Integrated headset, so angleset is not an option.

mtbr member
    ^^Oh...interesting. Wonder why they did that?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    ^^Oh...interesting. Wonder why they did that?
    Cheaper, easier to install, lighter. I'm personally not a huge fan, but there are some good reasons for it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Internal cable routing is stupid, but I do like that Evil has used tubes on the Following for the internal cable routing. They've also bumped the warranty period up to lifetime on new frames.
    Their 3 year warranty kept me away, I was hoping they would at least go to 5 or 7, really glad to hear they went for lifetime. That makes a difference for me. I don't like the 157 rear hub on a trail bike though.

mtbr member
    Ugh. Super boost = boner killer. I'll be sticking with the MB

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dlxah View Post
    Fanatik has the Works Components angleset as an option on their bike builder.

nel
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dlxah View Post
    The headset is the same as the last Following, Offering and Wreckoning so a Works Components ZS44/62 headset will fit - they have -1, -1.5 and -2 options.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by danglingmanhood View Post
    Fanatik has the Works Components angleset as an option on their bike builder.
    Quote Originally Posted by nel View Post
    The headset is the same as the last Following, Offering and Wreckoning so a Works Components ZS44/62 headset will fit - they have -1, -1.5 and -2 options.
    I was just going off Evil's website:

Headset: FSA Integrated Tapered No. 57/68 Upper 44mm Lower 62mm Tapered OD
    It says "integrated". And if you look that part up, there are no press-in cups:

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...-57-68-headset

Although, if you look closely at some of the photos of the frame, it does look like it might have a ZS headset, so maybe their spec sheet is wrong?

nel
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    All Evils bikes have the same headset description in their specification. They aren't "integrated" in the true sense - it's just that the ZS44/62 cups have already been installed in the factory so all the user has to do is insert the cartridge bearings.

mtbr member
    Yep Works angle-sets will work just like the one I put in my switchblade. I am waiting for an Offering or Troy 29 frame only update to SB+ 157 since I have extra wheels already and love the extra stiffness from the wider spacing. SB+ is not hype.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm fork
    Straitline Defacto pedals
    Renthal Fatbar with TV 40mm stem
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by noose View Post
    Yep Works angle-sets will work just like the one I put in my switchblade. I am waiting for an Offering or Troy 29 frame only update to SB+ 157 since I have extra wheels already and love the extra stiffness from the wider spacing. SB+ is not hype.
    Have you ridden the exact same bike with both?
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Have you ridden the exact same bike with both?
    It doesn't matter. I did demo several similar category bikes and noticed the difference. Superboost plus wheels are stronger than regular boost....sorry that's just physics based fact.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm fork
    Straitline Defacto pedals
    Renthal Fatbar with TV 40mm stem
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by noose View Post
    It doesn't matter. I did demo several similar category bikes and noticed the difference. Superboost plus wheels are stronger than regular boost....sorry that's just physics based fact.
    Yea we all know the facts- Superboost plus is some tiny percentage stiffer.

But if you didn't ride the same exact wheels and tires with the only change being the hub standard, the comparison means shit. It's also a fact in a group of wheels with the same hub standard, some are stiffer than others.
    I bet your demos all had the same tires, you made sure they were all set to same pressure and you rode them on the same course.

Fact or confirmation bias? hmmm
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Fact or confirmation bias? hmmm
    don't be silly.
    by the way, I LOVE torque. I test drove a Ram with a Cummins back to back with a F250 Powerstroke. The Ram makes 1000 Lb-Ft of torque...The Ford makes 1050 Lb-Ft of torque. Bought the Ford...that extra 50 Lb-Ft of torque is a game changer. Can't deny the physics....it was sooooo much better.

mtbr member
    SuperBoost hot takes are like a$$holes, everybody’s got one.

SBP definitely lets you build a stiffer, stronger wheel. BUT, several companies are now de-tuning the stiffness of carbon rims. Probably more beneficial on the front than the rear, but shooting for concrete-level wheel stiffness may not be the best goal.

SBP can allow for a stiffer frame design too. But there are a ton of other variables; I’m certain some Boost frame designs are stiffer than some SBP frames.

I believe that the benefit of the change from 142mm to Boost is negligible, and that SBP should’ve been the standard from the start. But I also own multiple Boost bikes and wheels, so unless/until the whole industry goes that way and I can have both an XC race bike and an enduro sled that are SBP, any SBP bike is a dealbreaker.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Talked to Push and the new XD made for the new Following will also work with the older model Followings.

Also, Evil will be coming out with a lightweight spec of the new Following with the new Rockshox SID and SIDluxe. Thinking Evil is going after the marathon market with this one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
    Talked to Push and the new XD made for the new Following will also work with the older model Followings.

Also, Evil will be coming out with a lightweight spec of the new Following with the new Rockshox SID and SIDluxe. Thinking Evil is going after the marathon market with this one.
    I’m intrigued by the lightweight offering, to be honest.

mtbr member
    It will be interesting to see how this bike compares to the MB. I always felt my MB climbed amazingly well and efficiently considering how good it is pointed downhill, but I'm sure the new version is going to climb way quicker and feel more snappy. On the downs, I can't imagine a more capable 120mm bike than my MB with 140 reduced offset Pike and -1 angleset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    It will be interesting to see how this bike compares to the MB. I always felt my MB climbed amazingly well and efficiently considering how good it is pointed downhill, but I'm sure the new version is going to climb way quicker and feel more snappy. On the downs, I can't imagine a more capable 120mm bike than my MB with 140 reduced offset Pike and -1 angleset.
    The seating position on the Offering makes climbing feel so much better than my old MB. This new Following is going to be really badass.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RancidSLP View Post
    The seating position on the Offering makes climbing feel so much better than my old MB. This new Following is going to be really badass.
    Yup...bad ass, JUST LIKE the FMB sized up, but requiring a heavier, new standard rear wheel and internal routing. For comparison's sake, an XL FMB vs a L FV3:

FMB --- FV3
    TT - 641 --- 626 (slide saddle forward)
    WB - 1193 ---1196 (neglible)
    Stack - 613 --- 604 (change bar rise or spacers)
    Reach - 475 --- 480 (negligible)

Slam your saddle forward on the FMB and you have the same bike, you don't need to build a new rear wheel, you don't have to fuss with internal routing, and you come stock with a piggy back shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    Just offering another data point here. Don't be surprised to NOT see a marked improvement in climbing/pedaling ability that is measured by the stop watch. Thought my previous MB was a rocketship...until I compared it on back to back rides with my sb55 that was#oncoil. I some climbing and flat situations, the longer travel bike was actually faster. Same wheels, tires and the MB was about 3lbs lighter than the Yeti.

Left me pretty baffled because the shorter travel bike definitely "felt" faster.

mtbr member
    seat tube angle both with 120mm forks

FMB XL --- 74.8---74.2 (https://www.evil-bikes.com/a/bikes/following-mb)
    V3 L ------77----76.5 (https://www.evil-bikes.com/a/bikes/following)

sliding the seat forward can only make up so many degrees.

edit:
    forgot to mention the 38mm seat tube length difference (470 vs 508mm) might be too much for some
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rondre3000 View Post
    Just offering another data point here. Don't be surprised to NOT see a marked improvement in climbing/pedaling ability that is measured by the stop watch. Thought my previous MB was a rocketship...until I compared it on back to back rides with my sb55 that was#oncoil. I some climbing and flat situations, the longer travel bike was actually faster. Same wheels, tires and the MB was about 3lbs lighter than the Yeti.

Left me pretty baffled because the shorter travel bike definitely "felt" faster.
    Actually, your experience doesn't surprise me. The sb55 was a great climber and the FMB was good, but not quite better. The Offering however, is just as good as my sb55 was even though heavier. Just a better pedaling platform than the other Evils. My bet is that the new Following pedals even better than the Offering, so should beat out the sb55.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    just for some geekdom:

I am probably at the upper end of cycling inseam length at 35.5". Measuring from the center of my BB to my saddle rails on both of my bikes, I get 28.5", using 170mm cranks.

so, using a bit of SOHCAHTOA (or trig to the layperson, haha) if we know the hypotenuse (28.5") and the STA (74.3 or 77), we can calculate the relative difference in saddle position.

At 28.5" (724mm) and 74.3*, the center of the seat post is 196mm behind the BB.
    At 28.5" (724mm) and 77*, the center of the seat post is 162mm bheind the BB.

Most saddles can be slammed forward enough to close that gap enough to be negligible, without even getting into running a shorter stem, if you can live with the steering changes.

RE the uber short seat tubes: the shorter they get, the higher my dropper collar sits outside of the seat tube to just maintain the proper saddle position. at some point, short seat tubes don't offer any benefit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tdc_worm View Post
    RE the uber short seat tubes: the shorter they get, the higher my dropper collar sits outside of the seat tube to just maintain the proper saddle position. at some point, short seat tubes don't offer any benefit.
    That's the point, now you get a longer dropper.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    no, i don't.

on an xL w/ a 508mm ST length, a 200mm 9point8 bottoms out 43 mm before the dropper collar sits flush. a 175mm 9point8 bottoms out 10mm before the dropper collar sits flush. Both of those are without accounting for the cable routing binding. with the cable routing, both are too tall when inserted all of the way. that 508mm is from BB to the top of the seat tube, and doesnt take into account the sexy curves and STA of the FMB.

so, i am running a 170mm Reverb AXS that just barely works, because there is no cable binding.

point is, its not only is it a function of STL, but insertable depth, as well as insertable length of your post. and the further your seatpost sits out of the seat tube, the greater leverage it has over the frame. coming from somebody that has broken a seat tube on a carbon frame, short seat tubes have their functional limits.

mtbr member
    no, i don't.

on an xL w/ a 508mm ST length, a 200mm 9point8 bottoms out 43 mm before the dropper collar sits flush. a 175mm 9point8 bottoms out 10mm before the dropper collar sits flush. Both of those are without accounting for the cable routing binding. with the cable routing, both are too tall when inserted all of the way. that 508mm is from BB to the top of the seat tube, and doesnt take into account the sexy curves and STA of the FMB.

so, i am running a 170mm Reverb AXS that just barely works, because there is no cable binding.

point is, its not only is it a function of STL, but insertable depth, as well as insertable length of your post. and the further your seatpost sits out of the seat tube, the greater leverage it has over the frame. coming from somebody that has broken a seat tube on a carbon frame, short seat tubes have their functional limits.

TwoTone is saying you get a longer dropper with the V3 Following because you don't have to size up.

Not everyone has your extended cycling inseam and that prevents them from sizing up to get the better reach numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by mrallen View Post
    Actually, your experience doesn't surprise me. The sb55 was a great climber and the FMB was good, but not quite better. The Offering however, is just as good as my sb55 was even though heavier. Just a better pedaling platform than the other Evils. My bet is that the new Following pedals even better than the Offering, so should beat out the sb55.
    I think this is a safe bet since the Offering pedaled better than the FMB. Not necessarily because of platform but better geometry.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    TwoTone is saying you get a longer dropper with the V3 Following because you don't have to size up.
    and i am saying no you don't. look where the actual seat tube is interrupted. it is well north of the BB and consistent between all sizes. insertable depth is the limiting factor, not seat tube length. the greater the drop, the longer the insertable depth. $5 says that the saddle height is the same on small as it is a large with a 200mm 9point8 because it bottoms out at the same spot.

mtbr member
    just for some geekdom:

I am probably at the upper end of cycling inseam length at 35.5". Measuring from the center of my BB to my saddle rails on both of my bikes, I get 28.5", using 170mm cranks.

so, using a bit of SOHCAHTOA (or trig to the layperson, haha) if we know the hypotenuse (28.5") and the STA (74.3 or 77), we can calculate the relative difference in saddle position.

At 28.5" (724mm) and 74.3*, the center of the seat post is 196mm behind the BB.
    At 28.5" (724mm) and 77*, the center of the seat post is 162mm bheind the BB.

Most saddles can be slammed forward enough to close that gap enough to be negligible, without even getting into running a shorter stem, if you can live with the steering changes.
    Most people are talking like the saddle is in a fixed position. I have short legs...actually short femurs. With all the slack STA talk about the V1 and MB STA's...I thought that I would not be able to get my saddle forward enough to get my body to where I like it...but I was able to get my knees into a comfortable pedaling position. Even with sections of climbs passing 17%...I did not find myself needing to scoot all the way to the front of the saddle. Only time I find myself that far in front of the saddle is when my bar is near my chest. My saddle is pushed pretty far forward...but not all the way. I'm running a 40mm -10 stem thats slammed on a short top cap. The bike climbs incredibly well and the rear suspension has plenty of support when pedaling out of the saddle. The STA is not whats holding me back when climbing.

I give kudos to Evil for the V3. Its a lot more involved than taking an Offering and shortening the travel...which they could have totally done.
    Last edited by RS VR6; 03-19-2020 at 12:54 AM.

mtbr member
    and i am saying no you don't. look where the actual seat tube is interrupted. it is well north of the BB and consistent between all sizes. insertable depth is the limiting factor, not seat tube length. the greater the drop, the longer the insertable depth. $5 says that the saddle height is the same on small as it is a large with a 200mm 9point8 because it bottoms out at the same spot.
    would be cool if Evil posted seat tube insertion values for their frames. On the stock builds they follow the typical dropper post sizing trend:
    Rockshox Reverb Stealth 30.9mm, S: 125mm(390mm), M: 150mm(440mm), L/XL: 170mm(480mm)

But that isn't much help

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Two images overlayed of the MB and V3. I find this technique really useful when assessing just what the geo of a bike means. Actual seat angle, virtual seat angle, saddle height... it's hard to extrapolate off a chart. Obviously this is not rigorous but I'm pretty sure they are both mediums on 2.3 tyres....it gives you an idea of just what those numbers really mean.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Evil Following-mbv3.png  

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymohn View Post
    Two images overlayed of the MB and V3. I find this technique really useful when assessing just what the geo of a bike means. Actual seat angle, virtual seat angle, saddle height... it's hard to extrapolate off a chart. Obviously this is not rigorous but I'm pretty sure they are both mediums on 2.3 tyres....it gives you an idea of just what those numbers really mean.
    nifty program! what is that?

generally speaking, you would want to anchor off the vertical access through the BB, but since the chain stays are the same length it works out. both medium FMB and Fv3 have stack heights of 604 and Head tubes of 110mm, so something is askew with the images. could be 130 vs 120mm forks....

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    nifty program! what is that?

generally speaking, you would want to anchor off the vertical access through the BB, but since the chain stays are the same length it works out. both medium FMB and Fv3 have stack heights of 604 and Head tubes of 110mm, so something is askew with the images. could be 130 vs 120mm forks....
    Any photo editor with layers will do, just set the transparency of the top image to allow the bottom through. Scale and rotate to find the fit. This does assume an identical camera position, which they won't be of course but it's close.

Good spot, I didn't spend a large amount of time on it. I think the MB is a little rotated off level which puts the seat angle a little slacker, and who knows if either is in low or x-low, but it gives you an idea how little is in it for E.S.T.A.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I don't get the whole seat tube angle complaint. My XC bike is a Kona Hei Hei 100/120. I do short and marathon XC races on it. The STA angle is basically the same as the FMB with similar reach as well. I am running 60mm stem on my Kona. So anyway my Hei Hei climbs like a mountain goat. Evil recommends 50mm stem as a starting point on the FMB as well.

How can the FMB have such outdated geometry when it basically matches your normal modern XC bike with a little longer reach but not overkill?

mtbr member
    The FMB is a heavier frame than your average XC bike. Also, I believe it pedals less efficiently with the Super Deluxe. I have a Fox DPS shock and it climbs great in the trail position.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I don't get the whole seat tube angle complaint. My XC bike is a Kona Hei Hei 100/120. I do short and marathon XC races on it. The STA angle is basically the same as the FMB with similar reach as well. I am running 60mm stem on my Kona. So anyway my Hei Hei climbs like a mountain goat. Evil recommends 50mm stem as a starting point on the FMB as well.

How can the FMB have such outdated geometry when it basically matches your normal modern XC bike with a little longer reach but not overkill?
    A lot of folks would say your Kona is also out of date. But, there is a lot more to it. A 100mm bike sags a lot less than a 120, 140 or 160 bike, so the STA stays steeper. Then you need to consider the actual STA which is <70 degrees for all the Evils before this new one at least. For people with longer legs, this means their real STA at saddle height is slacker than advertised. Your Kona actual STA and effective STA are much closer, so it has less impact. Oh, and Evil's claimed STAs for their previous bikes were basically lies, so everyone is excited to see something steeper.

Personally, I'm against super steep STA on shorter travel bikes. The negatives outweigh the positives.

mtbr member
    When are these being delivered? I’ve been keeping an eye out for some reviews but nothing since the initial announcement.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wooly88 View Post
    When are these being delivered? I’ve been keeping an eye out for some reviews but nothing since the initial announcement.
    Already out and some colors have already sold out. You won't find much reviews of evils online. You gotta ride one to feel the awesomeness.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Already out and some colors have already sold out. You won't find much reviews of evils online. You gotta ride one to feel the awesomeness.

Do you have one of the new Followings?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    New Evil Following-61d2c492-dfab-47f9-891a-e94757601c3b.jpg
    New Evil Following-f8c2b9b6-fd1b-424d-9add-9b05f4c4e695.jpgNew Evil Following-50acd1b7-2e0a-4b33-afb2-a93f8bf44293.jpgI’m pretty much just a lurker here, I know this thread is re: following v3 but thought I would share (read shamelessly bandy it about on the interwebs) my MB. Ended up getting a frame right before the v3 was released and supermegaultraboost made it a non starter. Anyhow here it is. ‘21 36 @140, renthal cockpit, DPX2, fiberous rims with onyx vesper, Magura MT7s, 12spd XT. Read mini enduro. Molded my own “sound mounds” out of adhesive foam.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by herro View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61D2C492-DFAB-47F9-891A-E94757601C3B.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	1331487

Name:	F8C2B9B6-FD1B-424D-9ADD-9B05F4C4E695.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	1331493Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50ACD1B7-2E0A-4B33-AFB2-A93F8BF44293.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	1331495I’m pretty much just a lurker here, I know this thread is re: following v3 but thought I would share (read shamelessly bandy it about on the interwebs) my MB. Ended up getting a frame right before the v3 was released and supermegaultraboost made it a non starter. Anyhow here it is. ‘21 36 @140, renthal cockpit, DPX2, fiberous rims with onyx vesper, Magura MT7s, 12spd XT. Read mini enduro. Molded my own “sound mounds” out of adhesive foam.
    That's a sick ride you got there, and you can't beat that color in my opinion.

mtbr member

Spill the beans. Tell us about the ride and post some pics!

Robertson
    I have a v3 on order, black size L. I won't have it built up for another 2 weeks due to covid shipping delays. Have most of the build decided on, but trying to decide on 130 fork vs 140 fork, and -1 angleset or no angleset. This will be my only bike until the new Wreck is released (then will have both). Thoughts/suggestions?

mid-apocalypse
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    I have a v3 on order, black size L. I won't have it built up for another 2 weeks due to covid shipping delays. Have most of the build decided on, but trying to decide on 130 fork vs 140 fork, and -1 angleset or no angleset. This will be my only bike until the new Wreck is released (then will have both). Thoughts/suggestions?
    Sounds like an odd point, but when I upped the fork travel on my previous bike the problem I found was that it slackened the seat tube and therefore increased the seated reach too far.

mtbr member
    There is no reason to do an angleset right away. Ride the bike as Evil intended. If you want more travel up front and a slacker head angle...get an Offering.

I think the purpose of the V3 is more finesse than plow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    i got one off the website a few weeks after they came out. i've always ridden a medium but with bikes getting so big and long these days i went small and its working very well for me. i could definitely ride the medium but i like my bikes playful and this thing is all of that and then some. i've had just about every evil since the revolt and the following v3 definitely hits the nail on the head for me. i think it's a similar jump to when we saw the mb come out compared to the v1; the v3 is simlply more refined. better routing, better geo, a touch lighter. it still feels like an evil should in my opinion. i went with a lighter build, black frame, super deluxe ultimate, arch mk3 on white ind hubs, works -1.5 headset, 11-45 xtr cassette, mid cage 12sp der, xt single pots, xtr cranks, rekon 2.4 rear, dhf 2.5 front, enve high rise bar and a new fox 175mm dropper. with the sid race day it's just over 28lbs with burgtec flats. with the message it is creeping close to 30lbs. i could go lighter with different tires but i don't really want to here. the SID is really good, i'm a big fan of the trust forks but i like the SID for what it is, it is stupid light and quite stiff for an xc fork. i wanted to try a push coil but apparently they don't fit the v3? i'm a bit confused by that though, push told me that a few weeks ago when i called to order one. i reached out to EXT USA to see if their 165x45 storia v3 will fit my size small. i'll try to get some pics up

mtbr member
    That's interesting because I'm almost positive you can order the Push 11-6 as a factory option on the site.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm very interested to see photos and ride report, especially with the message fork... Push definitely make a shock to fit but seems to be sold out on the US site and not offered as an option on the European website.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by barsabarsabarsa View Post
    I'm very interested to see photos and ride report, especially with the message fork... Push definitely make a shock to fit but seems to be sold out on the US site and not offered as an option on the European website.

Just relaying what I was told by push directly.

mtbr member
    Evil offers the 11-6 on their website as an upgrade shock. All the followings are out of stock on Evil's site along with the 11-6.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Strange how little reviews going on for this bike. Been waiting for a while. So far the shop has indicated a 12kg overall weight.

Not much on how it really rides so far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BCDO View Post
    Strange how little reviews going on for this bike. Been waiting for a while. So far the shop has indicated a 12kg overall weight.

Not much on how it really rides so far.
    it rides like an evil through and through. i would compare it to the jump from the v1 to the mb. slightly more refined with more modern geo than it's predecessor and definitely more pop. i think the shock tune is much better, i had the super deluxe on my mb and it was good but i thought the mb specific fox dpx2 was much better. on the v3 i went with the super deluxe ultimate on their rec and i think it's awesome. don't buy this bike to put a 140mm fork on it, if that's what you're looking for buy an offering. is it the lightest 120mm bike? no. is it the best pedaling 120mm bike out there? idk prob not. is it the most fun short travel bike out there? yes, without a doubt. this bike is the king of pop and side hits and slashes and cutties and more. not sure what else to say.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by R3D2 View Post
    it rides like an evil through and through. i would compare it to the jump from the v1 to the mb. slightly more refined with more modern geo than it's predecessor and definitely more pop. i think the shock tune is much better, i had the super deluxe on my mb and it was good but i thought the mb specific fox dpx2 was much better. on the v3 i went with the super deluxe ultimate on their rec and i think it's awesome. don't buy this bike to put a 140mm fork on it, if that's what you're looking for buy an offering. is it the lightest 120mm bike? no. is it the best pedaling 120mm bike out there? idk prob not. is it the most fun short travel bike out there? yes, without a doubt. this bike is the king of pop and side hits and slashes and cutties and more. not sure what else to say.
    Ooooo sounds good. I come from Nomad 4 to SB140 and looking for a second bike which will be a 29er. I sold off the Blur as it is too XC. I thought of the Tallboy or Ripley but then this appeared.

What was the fork you eventually installed on this bike?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BCDO View Post
    Ooooo sounds good. I come from Nomad 4 to SB140 and looking for a second bike which will be a 29er. I sold off the Blur as it is too XC. I thought of the Tallboy or Ripley but then this appeared.

What was the fork you eventually installed on this bike?
    It really is that good. If you want to keep an xc theme post blur then the Ripley is great bike. I spent a fair bit of time on the V4 this spring here in Sedona and then 10 days in Spain. It's solid but the following v3 is more playful and poppy and I think the delta is better at gobbling up bigger hits. I have a SID 120 raceday and then a Message I run as well when I'm looking for more out of the bike. I don't race but if I did the Ripley is a great weekend warrior race rig, or can be anyways. The following v3 could do that too but it's still a pretty agressive bike even though the new geo isn't crazy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by R3D2 View Post
    It really is that good. If you want to keep an xc theme post blur then the Ripley is great bike. I spent a fair bit of time on the V4 this spring here in Sedona and then 10 days in Spain. It's solid but the following v3 is more playful and poppy and I think the delta is better at gobbling up bigger hits. I have a SID 120 raceday and then a Message I run as well when I'm looking for more out of the bike. I don't race but if I did the Ripley is a great weekend warrior race rig, or can be anyways. The following v3 could do that too but it's still a pretty agressive bike even though the new geo isn't crazy.

Seems like I will pair it with a 130mm Pike. I am not looking for an XC bike but something that rolls along and let me have some fun on the downs and doesn’t keep my friends waiting on the up. Thanks for your replies.

Robertson
    Finally got a few rides on my new Following. Got the frame in early May but the build was very delayed due to Covid affecting shipping. I've had a V1 Following and Wreckoning, this bike is replacing my Forbidden Druid and I have another long travel 29er so the Following is built light for the pedal days.

Build: L black frame, rockshox deluxe ultimate shock, dvo sapphire 34 fork at 130 travel, we are one faction rims with i9 hydra hubs, kenda tires, formula brakes. Weight is right at 27 lbs.

Ride: Did a big XC type ride with climbing, flow trails, technical trails then a second day in a smaller local bike park where I rode my 170 bike the prior weekend.

Impressions: Bike pedals really, really well. Minimal discernable pedal bob with the shock open in the middle lsc setting. Cornering felt natural and instinctive, little to no learning curve. Bike feels very well in the chunk, obviously not as good as the big bike but very composed for what it is. Bottom outs were soft and barely noticed. The bike is super, super poppy; I actually crashed pretty good on day 2 way overshooting a 15ish ft table I've hit countless times as this bike jumps so much better than my Druid with coil. The only negative is that the STA is definitely slacker than they claim. I should be sitting at 76.5 or so with the 130 fork but the STA is a little slacker to the eye than the druid with its 76 STA. I feel that the bike could also use a slightly slacker HTA so I'm going to throw in a -1 degree headset and try that next weekend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for the feedback on the new Following. I have owned a v1 Following and Wreckoning (3 years each) and I am starting the research on my next bike. I am finding the Wreckoning is a little short in reach and TT and I was considering the Druid. Might I ask why you moved away from the Druid (besides it lackluster jumping prowess)? Thanks!

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilsun View Post
    Thanks for the feedback on the new Following. I have owned a v1 Following and Wreckoning (3 years each) and I am starting the research on my next bike. I am finding the Wreckoning is a little short in reach and TT and I was considering the Druid. Might I ask why you moved away from the Druid (besides it lackluster jumping prowess)? Thanks!
    So the druid is a great one bike solution. Jumping is certainly doable, just harder with the rearward axle path and the coil shock I had on there. If I could/would only run one bike, the Druid would be it (though would probably have a coil and air shock). I found the Druid worked fine for most rides though I often found myself wanting either a longer travel, slacker angled (slack angles more than travel) or a short travel, poppy and lively pedaling bike (the Druid has good pedal efficiency but is very sedate, it doesn't feel fast and does surge forward when you pedal like short travel bikes usually do). So I made the decision to switch from just that to a short travel bike (the Following) and a very long travel, burly built bike. I also found the Druid's drivetrain to be very high maintenance with all the extra pulleys/rollers, which had some extra drag at baseline and required very frequent cleaning to not get worse.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Thanks for your feedback so far.
    I have been on a wreckoning and also and a v1 following which I still own. How would you compare the v3 to the v1. my most concern with the v1 is in fact the seat angle.
    on which sizes have you been on the v1 and the wreckoning, also L as the v3?
    Thanks!

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by Quechua View Post
    Thanks for your feedback so far.
    I have been on a wreckoning and also and a v1 following which I still own. How would you compare the v3 to the v1. my most concern with the v1 is in fact the seat angle.
    on which sizes have you been on the v1 and the wreckoning, also L as the v3?
    Thanks!
    L in both. The Wreck had a slacker seat tube angle than the v1 following. The v3 following is much steeper STA than either of those but still just a touch too slack for my liking; part of this is the 130 fork I'm running has a longer axle to crown due to extra stanchion (it's a dvo, fox is the same way) so it is more the geo of a 140 pike (the new pikes have short a2c due to the debonair spring). I think with the -1 angleset (should steepen the sta by 0.5 degree or so) it will be perfect

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Are these bikes not available, I can't believe this forum hasn't blown up with the Followings history. I want to be talked out of a Ripley, need to see some ride reviews.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by confused View Post
    Are these bikes not available, I can't believe this forum hasn't blown up with the Followings history. I want to be talked out of a Ripley, need to see some ride reviews.
    Me too mate! Been checking daily.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Robertson
    Ok so ride update after installing the -1 headset. The bike feels perfect now. Running it in high, HTA feels right in the sweet spot for this type of bike. The steeper STA is helping keeping the front end weighted on steep climbs as well. Two biggest impressions of the bike are that it corners really, really good and is super poppy. Only had it through a few rock garden sections so far, but overall very impressed with how the rear suspension feels. It is still definitely a 120 bike, but it rips for one. In regards to this vs Ripley, I've ridden both. Ripley climbs better (but not by too much) and I would go with it if priorities are climbing or flat singletrack. Evil def. descends better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I have both what would you like to know? Evil Following V3 is better at descending Ripley is better all around. Following feels lighter on its feet but on flat trails the Ripley V4 is better in my opinion. Following comes alive the faster you go. STA on the new Evil Following is much improved and you can feel it as you climb.
    New Evil Following-ripley-evil-seat-angle-pic.jpgNew Evil Following-evil-weight-pic-kgs.jpgNew Evil Following-evil-bike-front-angle-pic.jpgNew Evil Following-evil-drive-side-pic.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    anyone have an idea why there are no reviews on the v3? Thinking of adding one to the stable for my local trails. Currently riding my Ripmo v2 which has displaced my Knolly Fugitive but I'd like something more efficient. Thinking I can swap the 157 wheels over from my knolly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Charshberger View Post
    I have both what would you like to know? Evil Following V3 is better at descending Ripley is better all around. Following feels lighter on its feet but on flat trails the Ripley V4 is better in my opinion. Following comes alive the faster you go. STA on the new Evil Following is much improved and you can feel it as you climb.

Name:	Ripley Evil Seat angle pic.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	361.5 KB 
ID:	1345253Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Evil weight pic in kgs.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	294.8 KB 
ID:	1345255Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Evil Bike front angle pic.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	352.7 KB 
ID:	1345257Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Evil drive side pic.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	304.0 KB 
ID:	1345259
    What size? Let me know if you want to sell either down the road?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    yeah but, which one would you prefer? and why?? haha... difficult to decide!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by barsabarsabarsa View Post
    yeah but, which one would you prefer? and why?? haha... difficult to decide!
    With Covid 19 and not having the ability to do much, I am just going to keep the both of them for right now. Riding 7 days a week there is plenty of bike time for the both of them !

Typically when the trail is faster and steeper I take the Evil. When it is tight and twisty I take the Ripley and when it the trails are wide open I take an XC bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I second the question... why no real world reviews of this bike? Word of mouth, its great, like to hear more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    released during lockdown - supply chains messed up, backlog of work to get through?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

"Lifetime" Warranty?

What does "lifetime of the frame" mean?

WHAT IS THE PERIOD OF COVERAGE?
    This limited warranty starts on the date of your purchase and lasts for

Evil bike frames released from December 2019 (starting with Chamois Hagar), for the lifetime of the bike frame;

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

So far, so very good

The lack of reviews are indeed unfortunate, but I think the coverage here regarding C. 19 and supply is accurate. Most places, including Evil's website, are sold out. When supply is limited, demos are not available.

Despite the lack of demo bikes, I pulled the trigger. I bought the XT kit and have three rides in the Park City area. It climbs nearly as fast as my 2014 Scalpel on smooth trails, and faster on roots and rocks. The handling and descending are as advertised. It descended Silver Queen and Loose Moose (lots of Chunder) yesterday and stayed with my friend on his Ripmo. I've been mountain biking since 1986, learning on the Slick Rock Trail, and can already say it's the best bike I've owned.

I demo'ed a Ripley and the size large was too small in the cockpit (I'm 6' with even proportions). My height is on the border of L and XL. I didn't get the XL because the wheelbase was something like 1234mm and I didn't want a limo. The Following has Ripley class climbing, in my view. The steep seat post has me feeling right over the pedals. It's super supportive climbing in the open position. The stiffer position feels nearly hardtail with just enough give to make it more comfortable, yet feel fast on the climbs.

All three rides have included initial climbs ranging from 1h.15m. to 2h.15m., with times as fast and one a bit faster than the Scalpel. Really.

The flats are so fun and precise, and just as good, in my view, as the Ripley. It smokes down the mountain, way nicer and faster than the Ripley.

I also rode a friend's 2017 Pivot Mach 429 Trail. The bike had that instant, perfect fit, just like the Following. I choose the Following over the Trail 429 when the shop guys highly recommended it. The 429 is great, but getting a tad long in the tooth and due for an update.

I had never thrown a leg over a long travel 29er, so wanted to not rule the larger class out. I demo'ed a Pivot Switchblade. It climbed very well for its weight, handled well, and flew down the descents. However, the increase in travel was not worth the weight penalty. I took it on a big, 6 hour loop I've done for years, including the Wasatch Crest, and the weight was too much. It might be fine on 2-3 hour rides, but I do plenty longer rides and the travel increase just wasn't there for me. The Following felt far more nibble climbing and handling. As I mentioned, it hung with the Ripmo and was more fun descending than the Switchblade. I don't do big gaps, etc. and the Following was more than capable for the air, drops, Moab stuff, etc., I have in mind. It also will be super fun on the White Rim In A Day.

It weights 29.25 lbs. without pedals. I'm putting on a One Up bar, a 30 tooth ring, a XTR derailleur, and a Maxxis Forkaster on the rear. It will drop the weight to a respectable 28.6 lbs.

I was nervous about buying without demo-ing one. The shop did have a M and it felt almost as good in the cockpit as the Ripley in L. I was relieved of any cockpit fit concerns within the first few minutes of climbing from the Park City base. I'm stoked about the bike overall and appreciate the support from my wife!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Evil Following-img_20200721_174406893.jpg  

New Evil Following-img_20200721_084719481.jpg  

Last edited by dakotakid; 08-03-2020 at 07:03 PM.

MTB SOCAL
    I also bought my Following v3 without benefit of a demo or test ride.

So far, 2 rides on the bike and it's been great. Climbing is fantastic - I always felt centered and didn't have to shift weight to keep traction . Descending was a blast - so much fun to hit corners at speed and hop off small trail features. New Evil Following-dsc_2018.jpg
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I just finished building up my Following.

New Evil Following-thumbnail_img_4648.jpg

mid-apocalypse
    Quote Originally Posted by yangpei View Post
    I also bought my Following v3 without benefit of a demo or test ride.

So far, 2 rides on the bike and it's been great. Climbing is fantastic - I always felt centered and didn't have to shift weight to keep traction . Descending was a blast - so much fun to hit corners at speed and hop off small trail features. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2018.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	1351577
    Beautiful bikes, thanks for posting them up @yangpei and @dakotakid. My big concern after riding an Offering is that, like the Offering, the seat angle of the Following will be slacker than advertised. This looks to be the case at least from the pics of your bikes?

Have either of you or anyone on this thread checked the angle against a straight edge from the BB, or dropped a plumb line to check saddle setback?

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TooMuchCoffeeMan View Post
    Beautiful bikes, thanks for posting them up @yangpei and @dakotakid. My big concern after riding an Offering is that, like the Offering, the seat angle of the Following will be slacker than advertised. This looks to be the case at least from the pics of your bikes?

Have either of you or anyone on this thread checked the angle against a straight edge from the BB, or dropped a plumb line to check saddle setback?

Cheers.
    The seat tube angle is the same as the Ibis Ripley as you can tell in the pic that I posted awhile ago. I have a 35mm inseam (I'm 6'1') and it feels just fine on the climbs on a size L. A lot better than the Following MB I had previously. This bike comes alive on fast flowy trails!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TooMuchCoffeeMan View Post

Cheers.
    I haven't measured it, but Charshberger's reply is consistent with my experience. I have about ten rides on it. The climbing is remarkably good. The comfortable seating position and cockpit fit, upright seat tube with a feeling of being over the pedals, and supportive suspension has me to the top of climbs faster than my Cannondale Scalpel. At this point, I would say it climbs all but smooth single track and fire roads faster than the Scalpel. Where the Scalpel would get hung up on rough rocks and roots, this thing blasts through. It's the best climbing bike and best overall bike I've owned in my 35 years of mountain biking. The Ripley I demo'ed did not seen any better climbing or in handling, and this bike seems way more stable and fun on the descents. A+ for the Evil Following.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Anyone have ant real frame weights with shock?

MTB SOCAL
    I measured my medium Following w/ Fox air shock (including headset) when I first got the frame. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was around 6.8 or 6.9 lbs with headset and rear thruaxle. If you subtract out the headseat, it's prolly a little over 6.5 lbs or so.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I had the V1 and loved it, I have the Offering now and its also a great bike. I miss my following though and this frame looks pretty fun. Also liking the Spur a lot, the wheelbase and slack head angle worry me a little though. So many good bikes right now

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Best place to look is at Fanatik bike shop. They post the weights per size and color (which does make a difference in weight). I didn't weigh my frame since it went straight to the bike shop but the full weight of my bike size large w/pedals is about 25.5 lbs. The frame is beefier and there is no getting around that. I have an Ibis Ripley and in the current configuration it is over a pound less and most of that is in the frame and some in the wheels (Enve 635 to 630 wheelsets).

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Fanatik lists the L as 6.24 lbs. without the shock. The Debonair is .75 lbs. for 7 lbs. total for frame and shock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Can anyone give me an idea on shock pressures they are using for their given weights? Getting some wacky sag numbers.

Robertson
    I'm at 230psi for rider weight of 200 lb

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by calibrit View Post
    Can anyone give me an idea on shock pressures they are using for their given weights? Getting some wacky sag numbers.
    For 30% sag, mine is at 172 p.s.i. and I weight around 180 lbs. dressed with pack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks guys, I was thinking I was getting low pressures. I weight 165 in gear and I needed.......165 PSI! That's for 28% Sag.

1st ride today PB's up and down vs my old 26er Cannondale Jekyll.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I'm at 230psi for rider weight of 200 lb
    I’m use 240psi and I’m about 205lbs. with gear. I do use full travel.

mtbr member
    I’m switching to a medium frame so I have a large protein powder frame for sale. Pm Me if interested.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    What I find interesting on the Evil L with a 50mm stem I fit perfect however, on another modern bike the Ibis Ripley I have to use a 70mm stem and I still feel a little cramped. Should of gone with XL maybe. Hard to pin down the correct size between brands or even from one model year to the next.New Evil Following-evil_following_waterloo.jpgNew Evil Following-evil_following_milford_pic.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I know there aren't but a few reviews online so here is the Freehub Magazine review of the Following V3 on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuuUP2nza9Q

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by danglingmanhood View Post
    I know there aren't but a few reviews online so here is the Freehub Magazine review of the Following V3 on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuuUP2nza9Q
    wowser that guy is scarily fast on those trails, I had to keep closing my eyes!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    I’m switching to a medium frame so I have a large protein powder frame for sale. Pm Me if interested.
    How tall are you? I'm 5'11" and trying to decide between a M or L. I currently have a large 2020 Hightower and the fit feels perfect on that. Evil's sizing seems a bit strange compared to other manufacturers.

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffkill View Post
    How tall are you? I'm 5'11" and trying to decide between a M or L. I currently have a large 2020 Hightower and the fit feels perfect on that. Evil's sizing seems a bit strange compared to other manufacturers.
    I am also 5'11" and on a L. You can go either way for sure, I think more depends on your trails (more open and high speed vs lower speed/tighter) and preferred riding style (straight line/speed vs playful/jibbing)

mtbr member
    Im 5'8 on a medium, I would think you are a large.

mtbr member
    I am also 5'11" and on a L. You can go either way for sure, I think more depends on your trails (more open and high speed vs lower speed/tighter) and preferred riding style (straight line/speed vs playful/jibbing)
    5’10” I think the medium would be a bit more playful

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    My bike delivered today. Pleasantly surprised with some of the parts on it compared to spec. The I9 rims were spec'd with 27mm internal width but mine came with 30.5mm IW. Also came with 30 and 32 tooth chain rings. Can't wait to ride it tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Real quiet in here....is everyone just out enjoying their bikes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy1974 View Post
    Real quiet in here....is everyone just out enjoying their bikes?
    Got 2 rides in on the new bike so far. Really couldn't be happier with this bike. Pedals amazingly well and still descends pretty much as good as my Hightower. It just feels like more than 120mm. Only complaint was the finned pads on the XT brakes but I already knew I'd have to swap those out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    I'm still sitting on the fence...very close to pulling the trigger on a FV3...but a 'local' shop (~130miles from here) is pretty incredible and has really been talking up the Yeti SB115...and then there are the Direct models (YT, Canyon, etc...)...

Not many reviews on the Following yet...but, every review/Vid I've seen of the V3 is just filled with giggling from the rider having such a blast on the bike....

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Not many reviews on the Following yet...but, every review/Vid I've seen of the V3 is just filled with giggling from the rider having such a blast on the bike....
    That pretty much sums up my experience with the bike so far

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    That pretty much sums up my experience with the bike so far
    I have been riding the bike since May and it is a lot better in my opinion than the V2 that I also owned. Feels much better on the climbs. Going down it feels about the same. Feels better than the Ripley V4 that I own as well.

It is strange to me that they have not sent out bikes to the media so that they can test them even during the pandemic. Moutain biking is one thing that you could do and writing an article to post online is another.....

I wouldnt worry you will love the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm still sitting on the fence...very close to pulling the trigger on a FV3...but a 'local' shop (~130miles from here) is pretty incredible and has really been talking up the Yeti SB115...and then there are the Direct models (YT, Canyon, etc...)...

My take is that it really made mountain biking fun again for me, makes me feel like a kid again (I'm 41).

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    My take is that it really made mountain biking fun again for me, makes me feel like a kid again (I'm 41).
    I can appreciate that being a big, broken, older guy myself (46 as of yesterday).

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My bike delivered today. Pleasantly surprised with some of the parts on it compared to spec. The I9 rims were spec'd with 27mm internal width but mine came with 30.5mm IW. Also came with 30 and 32 tooth chain rings. Can't wait to ride it tomorrow!
    Thats a nice bonus. Mine came with the new SRAM Reverb dropper at 175mm, which I consider an upgrade from the Oneup. And FSA bars and stem which I consider a wash. I'll probably upgrade to a carbon bar anyway. I have the GX build because that is what the shop had, I would have bought the XT given the choice, but enjoying the build and the slightly weak SRAM brakes are good for me because I brake too much

I think they are getting bikes out the door with whatever they can source at the time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Ok so ride update after installing the -1 headset. The bike feels perfect now. Running it in high, HTA feels right in the sweet spot for this type of bike. The steeper STA is helping keeping the front end weighted on steep climbs as well. Two biggest impressions of the bike are that it corners really, really good and is super poppy. Only had it through a few rock garden sections so far, but overall very impressed with how the rear suspension feels. It is still definitely a 120 bike, but it rips for one. In regards to this vs Ripley, I've ridden both. Ripley climbs better (but not by too much) and I would go with it if priorities are climbing or flat singletrack. Evil def. descends better.
    What -1 headset did you use? I think I might try this, don't want to go to the X-Low setting and would be an interesting experiment

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    How has the bike felt on climbs?

I've heard mixed reports? (not looking at going up a mountain...more rolling terrain and hills in southeast Michigan)

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    How has the bike felt on climbs?

I've heard mixed reports? (not looking at going up a mountain...more rolling terrain and hills in southeast Michigan)
    I also live in Southeast Michigan. For example, I ride this bike primarily at Pontiac Rec, Maybury & DTE foundation trail. I ride my Ripley primarily at Highland Rec, Brighton Rec Milford, & Poto. The Following also does well at Brighton Rec and Poto.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    I also live in Southeast Michigan. For example, I ride this bike primarily at Pontiac Rec, Maybury & DTE foundation trail. I ride my Ripley primarily at Highland Rec, Brighton Rec Milford, & Poto. The Following also does well at Brighton Rec and Poto.
    Unfortunately new to riding in the area...they are all on my hit list, but so far have only been riding Riverbends and Stoney

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I have rode Stoney and I would say that I would choose the Ripley due to the section cut into the side of the hill. The Following will also do just fine. The Evil Following wants to go fast and get off the ground. This is really where it comes alive. You are missing some great riding a little farther to the west. I would try Pontiac first since it is the closest. Also, dont forget about Lake Shore Park (aka Tree Farm) that I forgot to add to my previous post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    I have rode Stoney and I would say that I would choose the Ripley due to the section cut into the side of the hill. The Following will also do just fine. The Evil Following wants to go fast and get off the ground. This is really where it comes alive. You are missing some great riding a little farther to the west. I would try Pontiac first since it is the closest. Also, dont forget about Lake Shore Park (aka Tree Farm) that I forgot to add to my previous post.
    They are all on the hit list...I've gotten back in and was introducing the family to the nearby trails...but looking at increasing my own riding activities...(one of the reasons to step up from my Fuse to a FS rig)..

I'm sure that whether I go FV3, SB115, Ripley, Izzo, etc...any of them would be awesome....I just need to pull the trigger based on feel and possibly dealer experience/support...

Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Moosejaw sells Evil bikes which is close to you however, I have not seen the new Following there but they could probably order it for you. Cycle to Fitness is not a full-fledged Yeti, Evil or Ibis dealer; however, they can order any of their bikes and do the warranties as normal but they dont stock the bikes. I bought my Following V3 and Ripley through them. Speak with Daniel. The shop is located in Livonia.

Robertson
    What -1 headset did you use? I think I might try this, don't want to go to the X-Low setting and would be an interesting experiment
    It is the works headset for evil bikes from Fanatik (just search evil works headset on their site). It was very easy to install

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It is the works headset for evil bikes from Fanatik (just search evil works headset on their site). It was very easy to install
    So by very easy...did you need any special tools to remove and install headsets?

mtbr member
    So by very easy...did you need any special tools to remove and install headsets?
    You need a headset press, a sharp eye, and some fishing line. I got mine directly from Works Components for cheaper than the Fanatik price. Definitely recommend it, but I wouldn't call it 'easy' to install.

mtbr member
    https://youtu.be/UctOICrgSBs

I think they like it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Anyone got a chance to ride the YT IZZO? Any insights on how that rides compared to the V3?
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
    Anyone got a chance to ride the YT IZZO? Any insights on how that rides compared to the V3?
    BikeMag released not only the Following V3 review, but YT Izzo, Yeti SB115, Revel Ranger and a few 27.5 bikes all as part of their 'Bible of Bike tests'...that's where this video came from...

I've been itching to see the comparison for months... My Following should be here beginning of next week..

https://www.bikemag.com/marinbible/

Trail Rider
    Just got back from Sedona, rented a V3 w/XT 12spd, RS Pike/Deluxe Ultimate. Had it for 4 days, really liked the bike. Climbed extremely well, was really fun and nimble. The suspension was sublime, plush but supportive. Only used the lockout on the shock on pavement (getting to the trails).

It was a bit overwhelmed on Hiline, and I'm not used to a 67 degree ha. Went over the bars on one gnarly drop. Rode so well though, almost made me want to buy one.

Rented the bike cause E-bikes are illegal there.
    2020 Turbo Levo SL Expert Carbon

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Lots of fun being had out there!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've got about 350 miles on the V3 since buying it 2 months ago. My initial impressions shared here have been confirmed. It climbs like my Scalpel. I've made it to the top of some major climbs in Park City and other Wasatch mountain trails in my fastest time ever in a few cases. The handling on rolling terrain with roots, trees, etc. is fast and precise. The DELTA link is amazing climbing, and descending. It's the most fun I've had on a bike. Looking forward to some Moab trips this fall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
    I've got about 350 miles on the V3 since buying it 2 months ago. My initial impressions shared here have been confirmed. It climbs like my Scalpel. I've made it to the top of some major climbs in Park City and other Wasatch mountain trails in my fastest time ever in a few cases. The handling on rolling terrain with roots, trees, etc. is fast and precise. The DELTA link is amazing climbing, and descending. It's the most fun I've had on a bike. Looking forward to some Moab trips this fall.
    Are you running a 120 Sid or 130 Pike?

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I’d love to hear more from anyone who can compare the following v3 to the tallboy v4 - I’m pretty sure I’m going to get one of these two, but having a hard time deciding. Demos are to come by in my area due to covid restrictions; any info would be much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wooly88 View Post
    Are you running a 120 Sid or 130 Pike?
    130 Pike. Excellent fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by elko8 View Post
    I’d love to hear more from anyone who can compare the following v3 to the tallboy v4 - I’m pretty sure I’m going to get one of these two, but having a hard time deciding. Demos are to come by in my area due to covid restrictions; any info would be much appreciated!
    I would like the feedback too. Be sure to check out Mix John's post above. I rode a TB around a bike shop's neighborhood. It seemed like a bigger and less snappy handling bike. But awesome, I'm sure.
    Last edited by dakotakid; 2 Days Ago at 08:10 AM.

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mlx john View Post
    Just got back from Sedona, rented a V3 w/XT 12spd, RS Pike/Deluxe Ultimate. Had it for 4 days, really liked the bike. Climbed extremely well, was really fun and nimble. The suspension was sublime, plush but supportive. Only used the lockout on the shock on pavement (getting to the trails).

It was a bit overwhelmed on Hiline, and I'm not used to a 67 degree ha. Went over the bars on one gnarly drop. Rode so well though, almost made me want to buy one.

Rented the bike cause E-bikes are illegal there.
    I demoed a Tallboy 4 for a couple of days last October when deciding between that bike and the Hightower 2. I ended up going with the Hightower 2 because it climbed as well and it was a blast on the descents.

The differentiation between those bikes would be around the 2 hour mark, where the slightly lighter weight and 120mm travel would have the Tallboy 4 pulling away from a Hightower 2 on the climbs.

The Tallboy 4 was like a mini enduro bike. Very slack and capable, not quite as agile as the Following. Seriously fast on techy descents for a 120mm bike. It's also a great bike, I'm sure I would have a hard time choosing between the two.

The Evil's Delta suspension was better than SC's VPP, especially climbing (and I was a Santa Cruz fanboy for years).

The only nitpick I had w/the Evil was the relatively steep HA. I was actually thinking that I would have preferred a slacker HA like the TB4's while riding the Following, but the geo of the bike is what makes it handle so well.

I think a 140mm fork on the Evil would be where it's at for my local terrain.

Edit: the Evil had a RS Pike Ultimate 130mm. Running same fork @ 160mm on my Levo SL.

It's the best fork I've ridden to date. Have run early gen lyrik/Pike, Fox 32/34/36, Manitou, Lefty, Girvin, Headshok*
    2020 Turbo Levo SL Expert Carbon

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    <deleting duplicate post>
    Last edited by elko8; 2 Hours Ago at 07:03 AM. Reason: Deleting duplicate

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    <deleting duplicate post>
    Last edited by elko8; 2 Hours Ago at 07:05 AM. Reason: Deleting duplicate

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I demoed a Tallboy 4 for a couple of days last October when deciding between that bike and the Hightower 2. I ended up going with the Hightower 2 because it climbed as well and it was a blast on the descents.

The differentiation between those bikes would be around the 2 hour mark, where the slightly lighter weight and 120mm travel would have the Tallboy 4 pulling away from a Hightower 2 on the climbs.

The Tallboy 4 was like a mini enduro bike. Very slack and capable, not quite as agile as the Following. Seriously fast on techy descents for a 120mm bike. It's also a great bike, I'm sure I would have a hard time choosing between the two.

The Evil's Delta suspension was better than SC's VPP, especially climbing (and I was a Santa Cruz fanboy for years).

The only nitpick I had w/the Evil was the relatively steep HA. I was actually thinking that I would have preferred a slacker HA like the TB4's while riding the Following, but the geo of the bike is what makes it handle so well.

I think a 140mm fork on the Evil would be where it's at for my local terrain.

Edit: the Evil had a RS Pike Ultimate 130mm. Running same fork @ 160mm on my Levo SL.

It's the best fork I've ridden to date. Have run early gen lyrik/Pike, Fox 32/34/36, Manitou, Lefty, Girvin, Headshok*

That's very helpful - thanks! A couple more specific questions if you have another second.

(1) Do you have a sense of just how much the following gives up to the TB on steep, techy downs? My 120 bike will be my only ride, and I do like that kind of terrain.

(2) It makes sense that, with its steeper angles, the following would be more agile. What about getting it into the air? For a 120 bike, I do want something that's poppy and likes bonus features etc. I know this is a big selling point of the following, but it also mentioned a lot in TB reviews. Is there a noticeable difference between the two there?

(3) Something a lot of reviews of the TB mention is its cornering, and in particular its traction through corners. Does the following keep up in that department?
    Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    What is the range of Torques called out on the components for the Following V3? I want to make sure that I have a decent torque wrench of the proper range for maintenance/changes/minor assembly, etc...
    Thanks !