New to Evil bikes, any thing I should watch for?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New to Evil bikes, any thing I should watch for?

Just built the following, full XT/XTR kit. Anything I should watch? Like points of lubrication on the Delta, bolts that work loose and require a re-torque ect? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    As with any bike, I highly recommend checking torque values on all linkage bolts after the first couple of rides. That's when things will be most likely to work loose. I would also keep an eye on the rear axle.

If you do ever change the geometry settings, make sure the dog bone link surfaces are nice and clean before reassembly. Always use a light layer of grease on all metal-to-metal contacts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zhendo View Post
    As with any bike, I highly recommend checking torque values on all linkage bolts after the first couple of rides. That's when things will be most likely to work loose. I would also keep an eye on the rear axle.

If you do ever change the geometry settings, make sure the dog bone link surfaces are nice and clean before reassembly. Always use a light layer of grease on all metal-to-metal contacts.
    Thank you! I'll most likely leave it in the high setting, do any of the pivot points on the linkage require any light oil occasionally?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Looks a bit like mine!New to Evil bikes, any thing I should watch for?-img_3631.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    yes-dont shred so hard that you spontaneously combust!!

mtbr member
    Fluro green is da bomb!! Watch out you don't get abducted by little green men ;-P

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thieves

used to be RipRoar
    Nice build. As mentioned, rear axle seems to loosen easily of not tightened enough. Also don't be afraid to run higher pressure in rear when dialing things in. Enjoy that beast!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmcconnaha View Post
    Thank you! I'll most likely leave it in the high setting, do any of the pivot points on the linkage require any light oil occasionally?
    The high setting rides quite well, but I would recommend messing with the low setting too - I think the bike is much more fun in the low setting, it just begs you to destroy every corner in sight.

You shouldn't have to oil any of the pivots, and I actually strongly recommend against it. The dog bone links are a bit delicate in their tolerances, and oil attracts dirt - the last thing you want is for those things to have oil attracting sand, etc into your pivots. Keep the threads and the contact points between the bearings and dog bones lightly greased, but keep everything else as clean and dry as possible.

mtbr member
    One issue I've had on both my Following and Wreckoning is that the bearings in the flip-chips have gone bad. Other suspension bearings seem fine, but on both bikes these have been near-frozen after not that long. I ride in the PNW so plenty of grit and moisture, and I do clean my bike with a hose (not pressure wash) after many rides. It's quite easy to change these out with a small bearing press, but something to keep an eye on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    One problem I keep seeing with new bikes is that people take them outside, on dirt or even muddy trails, and they inevitably get the bike dirty. Sometimes even scratches on them.

I highly recommend getting a large roll of bubble wrap before you even think of leaving the shop. Anything could happen between there and your living room.

The good news is that as long as you never ride it, you will never have any problems with your bike whatsoever! Yay Low Maintenance!

I am entirely joking and not attempting to be critical! I'm just the other type that can't get out on a new bike fast enough!

mtbr member
    Awesome ride so far! 60 Miles in the last ten days. The linkage bolts (particularly the one that does all the way through the frame) got very loose. I have torqued them twice in the last fifteen miles, does anyone else fight them?