My Wreckoning Fantasy Build- Mtbr.com
    Grand Master Jedi

My Wreckoning Fantasy Build

EDIT 2: Made some new changes based on recent product launches and rider feedback on sizing

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ME: 6'3", 220lb RtR
    TERRAIN: Nasty, rocky, super-technical New England. 4-5' Drops/Jumps to flat

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

FRAME: L EVIL THE WRECKONING, BLACK W/ CUSTOM ORANGE DECALS

FORK: RS LYRIC RCT3, 160MM W/ BOOST SPACING (110)

SHOCK: FOX X2 with Climb Switch

BARS: RACE FACE SIXC 10mm RISE BARS (WIDER AND LOWER)

GRIPS: ODI ROGUE GRIPS

CRANKS: RACE FACE SIXC, 170mm LENGTH

PEDALS: SHIMANO XTR TRAIL

STEM: RACE FACE ATLAS 35, 35mm LONG (SHORTER)

HEADSET: ZS44/ZS62mm

REAR MECH: SRAM XX1 Eagle

CASSETTE: SRAM XX1 Eagle (Gold!)

CHAIN: SRAM XX1 Eagle (Gold!)

SHIFTER: SRAM XX1 Eagle

HUBS: I9 BOOST w/CENTERLOCK (GOLD), 32H

SPOKES: DT SWISS Super Comp

RIMS: DERBY 29x45mm Carbon Rims

NIPPLES: DT SWISS BRASS (BLACK)

BRAKES: SHIMANO XTR TRAIL

ROTORS: SHIMANO RT99 XTR CENTERLOCK (203F/180R)

F TIRE: CONTI DER KAISER 2.4 PROJEKT
    R TIRE: CONTI TRAIL KING 2.4, APEX PROTECTION

POST REMOTE: SPECIALIZED COMMAND POST SRL

SEAT: SPECIALIZED S-WORKS PHENOM

OTHER:
    -LIZARDS SKINS CARBON LEATHER FRAME PROTECTORS
    -JAGWIRE MOUNTAIN ELITE SHIFT CABLES
    -RACE FACE CRANK PROTECTORS (ORANGE)
    -E*13 CHAINGUIDE

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx

Thoughts? Things you would run differently?
    Last edited by RaptorAddict; 04-23-2016 at 07:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'd wait (evil may take care if that for you) for a float x2 with lockout and the e13 9-44 cassette. Other than that looks good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grand Master Jedi
    Quote Originally Posted by ftbjoe View Post
    I'd wait (evil may take care if that for you) for a float x2 with lockout and the e13 9-44 cassette. Other than that looks good.

Good call on both counts! I'm not sure the 9tooth cog would work though, given how close the chain is to the chainstay.

If they they release the X2 with a climb switch, then I'm 100% on-board.

CB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm going Lyrik 160 instead of pike, same NextSL cranks and bar, flow ex's on hopes, and full 11sp Shimano XT. I went with the Float X2. I have a CCDBAir with CS in the same length as what the wreckoning will need. If the X2 is not as good, I'll swap it over. Can't wait to get the frame...

mtbr member
    I'll be running a Lyrik rather than a Pike. Honestly I think the Lyrik almost makes the Pike obsolete, it's barely any heavier, a good deal stiffer, and according to reviews more active.

Personally I'd get standard (not centerlock) hubs. Centerlock locks (ha) you into Shimano brakes. What if you wanna throw some Guides or Hopes on at some point?

I'd definitely run an XT cassette, not an XX1. It's what, a quarter the price? I know this is a "dream build", but with the amount of mud here in the PNW drivetrains are considered consumable items.

I just picked up some Farlow/I9 wheels. They look great. Total weight is ~1700g, not the lightest but they seem super solid. And I like the profile they give my tires more than my 941 rims, which are as wide as Derbys. For the moment, rims that wide limit your tire selection somewhat.

Try a Magic Mary on the front!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    From what I have heard the climb switch will be upgradable on the x2 for current owners

Grand Master Jedi
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    I'll be running a Lyrik rather than a Pike. Honestly I think the Lyrik almost makes the Pike obsolete, it's barely any heavier, a good deal stiffer, and according to reviews more active.

Personally I'd get standard (not centerlock) hubs. Centerlock locks (ha) you into Shimano brakes. What if you wanna throw some Guides or Hopes on at some point?

I'd definitely run an XT cassette, not an XX1. It's what, a quarter the price? I know this is a "dream build", but with the amount of mud here in the PNW drivetrains are considered consumable items.

I just picked up some Farlow/I9 wheels. They look great. Total weight is ~1700g, not the lightest but they seem super solid. And I like the profile they give my tires more than my 941 rims, which are as wide as Derbys. For the moment, rims that wide limit your tire selection somewhat.

Yeah, I'm considering the Lyric as well, but I'm honestly not sure I need the extra beef, and I'm trying to stay on the lighter side with this build. But I agree it is a very good option, I'm not 100% decided yet.

I've run 6-bolt and Centerlock hubs and I really do like the simplicity, weight, and safety of the Centerlock system. The DO make a Centerlock-to-6 bold adaptor if I ever wanted to run a non-CL rotor.

I'm running both the XT and XTR cassette now, and honestly I may just keep them. I've had ZERO issues, they are cheap and shift perfectly, so yeah, the SRAM cassette may not happen.

Thanks for the feedback on the rims!! That's very helpful!! I'm probably most-undecided about rims. I just don't know what to run but the Farlow seems great! I like asymmetric nature of it.

I've heard good things about the Magic Mary, I'll try it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post

The Lyrik is a noticeable upgrade from the Pike. For me it was a must have on this bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Having never used any of these available shock options, I went with the cheapest, the Monarch and ordered RWC needle bearings for the top shock pivot. If I can't get that shock to where I love it, I may just 11/6 it unless some rave review of another shock on this bike comes out.
    What decals are you doing orange on? I'm doing the same, only red. Custom red/dark grey shock, fork and rim graphics from Slik Graphics, red frame graphics from Vidiom. Got the Slik Graphics already and they look awesome.

Grand Master Jedi
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdemo76 View Post
    Having never used any of these available shock options, I went with the cheapest, the Monarch and ordered RWC needle bearings for the top shock pivot. If I can't get that shock to where I love it, I may just 11/6 it unless some rave review of another shock on this bike comes out.
    What decals are you doing orange on? I'm doing the same, only red. Custom red/dark grey shock, fork and rim graphics from Slik Graphics, red frame graphics from Vidiom. Got the Slik Graphics already and they look awesome.
    I'm planning on matching the Frame/Fork/Rim graphics in Orange. Likely Slik Graphics. I'll also add my name to the TT. I will also try and find some orange brake lines and shifter cables.

I'm probably not going to need an 11-6, I'm pretty sure the Monarch will be good, but I may opt for the FloatX2 if it comes out with a climb switch. The climbing ability of this bike is what I'm most concerned about (since I figure it will descend incredibly well).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    New England rider as well, I am in the same boat as you with shocks. I really want the x2 but i want to wait for the climb switch model. The 11-6 is sweet but the cost i cant justify. Having the climb switch is sweet tho.

You pretty set on the xl? at 6'-3"? I am 5'-10" with a 33" inseam and torn between the med and the large. I wish i could get my leg over one of these bikes in my size before i dropped the cash.

Grand Master Jedi
    Quote Originally Posted by sb1616ne View Post
    New England rider as well, I am in the same boat as you with shocks. I really want the x2 but i want to wait for the climb switch model. The 11-6 is sweet but the cost i cant justify. Having the climb switch is sweet tho.

You pretty set on the xl? at 6'-3"? I am 5'-10" with a 33" inseam and torn between the med and the large. I wish i could get my leg over one of these bikes in my size before i dropped the cash.
    Yeah, I think the XL will work...

My current bike is an XL Turner 5.Spot with a 24.5" ETT (622mm)

I'm running a 70mm Stem and a riser bar, and my measured cockpit length is about 30" (center of bar to center of seat)

The way that I see it, XL The Wreckoning should work out for me in the following ways

-The top tube is almost 2" longer (26.4 vs 24.5) so I have 50mm difference, but I'd like it to be maybe 20mm longer than my current setup, so I only need 30mm

-The more upright seat tube angle means my seat won't be as far back at the same height

-I plan to use a 40mm stem (which makes up for the TT difference)

I hope Evil gets a dealer nearby so I can try it! Maybe JRA would be interested?

~CB

Cactus Cuddler
    XTR brake rotors, XT brakes w/ finned metallic pads would work better - the freeza rotors are awesome, but for that sort of bike the XT brakes seem to fit a touch better.
    eTRS cassette and chain guide would be suggested addon.
    Wheelbuild - looks awesome, but beefier spokes are probably called for (Derby rims are awesome, but build them tough to get the best out of them - brass nipples, 2.0/1.8/2.0 DT Comp spokes)
    Might as well go to the SixC cranks. Can make up that cost difference with an Aeffect35 stem on there to trim costs.

I've gone through this exercise quite a few times, and my results being very similar are telling.

Llama Fantasy Build:
    Evil Wreckoning XL - I'm 6'2" and like long bikes [Alternative would be Specialized E29 Mk2 or Nukeproof Mega290]
    Monarch RT3+ DBA Shock
    Pike 160 RC Solo Air
    Joystick Analog Carbon Bar
    RF Aeffect 35 Stem (50mm)
    Specialized SIP-XL Grips
    Charge Spoon Saddle
    RF SixC Crankset (170mm) w/ 28T Cinch chainring
    e13 eTRS 9-44T Cassette - SRAM X1/GX 11sp chain [cheapest]
    Shimano XT 11sp Shifter/Derailleur
    Shimano Zee Brakes / XTR 180mm Freeza Rotors / Metallic/Finned XT Pads
    KS LevDX 150mm Dropper w/ hacked X9 front shifter activation
    Maxxis Minion DHR 2.4WT Front//Maxxis Minion SS 2.3 Silkworm Rear
    LightBicycle 38/31.8 Rims // DT Competition Spokes // DT350 Centerlock/32H Hubs

Black most everywhere, with red anodize for headset/stickers/decals/stitching

Grand Master Jedi
    Quote Originally Posted by tehllama View Post

XTR brake rotors, XT brakes w/ finned metallic pads would work better - the freeza rotors are awesome, but for that sort of bike the XT brakes seem to fit a touch better.
    eTRS cassette and chain guide would be suggested addon.
    Wheelbuild - looks awesome, but beefier spokes are probably called for (Derby rims are awesome, but build them tough to get the best out of them - brass nipples, 2.0/1.8/2.0 DT Comp spokes)
    Might as well go to the SixC cranks. Can make up that cost difference with an Aeffect35 stem on there to trim costs.
    I've had great performance from the XTR Freeza rotors (RT99's) with XTR calipers and metallic brake pads (J04C Metal).

The E*13 TRS cassette looks pretty dope, but I don't think it will fit. The 9t cog is too small! The chainstay on The Wreckoning is so big, I'm worried the chain would continously rub.

Chainguide - Very good call. I will add it.

RE: Spokes - Yeah, my current wheels are built with DT Swiss Alpine III spokes which are SUPER burly. I was hoping to save some weight by using the Super Comp spokes, but you may be right, the regular comp-spokes might be more appropriate.

RE: Cranks - The SixC's look awesome.. I didn't realize how light they were! Definitely a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by tehllama View Post
    Llama Fantasy Build:
    Evil Wreckoning XL - I'm 6'2" and like long bikes [Alternative would be Specialized E29 Mk2 or Nukeproof Mega290]
    Monarch RT3+ DBA Shock
    Pike 160 RC Solo Air
    Joystick Analog Carbon Bar
    RF Aeffect 35 Stem (50mm)
    Specialized SIP-XL Grips
    Charge Spoon Saddle
    RF SixC Crankset (170mm) w/ 28T Cinch chainring
    e13 eTRS 9-44T Cassette - SRAM X1/GX 11sp chain [cheapest]
    Shimano XT 11sp Shifter/Derailleur
    Shimano Zee Brakes / XTR 180mm Freeza Rotors / Metallic/Finned XT Pads
    KS LevDX 150mm Dropper w/ hacked X9 front shifter activation
    Maxxis Minion DHR 2.4WT Front//Maxxis Minion SS 2.3 Silkworm Rear
    LightBicycle 38/31.8 Rims // DT Competition Spokes // DT350 Centerlock/32H Hubs

Black most everywhere, with red anodize for headset/stickers/decals/stitching
    Good build! Why did you go Pike instead of Lyric?

50mm Stem+XL frame? You are only my height so you must like your bikes LOOOONG.

Why the Zee brakes?

Do you trust LB rims enough to rum them on such a big bike? I'm worried about shattering rims and cheap-chinese carbon seems risky..?

Cactus Cuddler
    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorAddict View Post
    Good build! Why did you go Pike instead of Lyric?

50mm Stem+XL frame? You are only my height so you must like your bikes LOOOONG.

Why the Zee brakes?

Do you trust LB rims enough to rum them on such a big bike? I'm worried about shattering rims and cheap-chinese carbon seems risky..?
    I already have a 150mm Pike - so that would be an air spring away. I'd rather dump that money into getting a custom tune on the DBA Monarch+.
    Zee brakes - I'm a 235lb rider and I roll with a full assault pack of gear on all mountain rides (circa 245 kitted), so 4-caliper brakes are shiny. The tool-less reach adjust isn't that big a deal, and they only come in the right color scheme.
    I do prefer bikes to run long - I'm also partial to 8-9░ of backsweep. I'd be keeping the exact same cockpit measurements on my current bike with that setup, so I know it's not a stretch.
    With a good wheel build, they'll be as good as any of the higher priced options. Brass nipple and beefier spokes, tensioned by a skilled wheelbuilder (which seems to be much more relevant) will address everything but rock strikes. If I was really concerned about the latter, I'd just run Easton Arc or WTB Asym rims in i29/30mm range. The difference between the LB/Nextie/XMCarbonSpeed options and the Bontrager/Specialized/Atomik/Easton sourced wheel sets is mostly on the quality assurance and wheel build/specification front. If you spec an inherently rugged wheel build (32 spoke, DT Comp/Sapim Race, etc.) then the only things I've seen that kill off those rims are botched landings that would cause practically any <2kg wheelset to implode.
    If you're concerned, then the support you'd get from running Derby or Nox rims with good stateside representation is money extremely well spent. Both of those run proprietary and improved designs with respect to durability, and the CS is straight-up better. Still the same potential failure modality, but if I had the coin to be looking at a set of Farlows built on DT240's, I wouldn't waste my time considering lesser options.

SISSIF
    Yeah, I think the XL will work...

-The more upright seat tube angle means my seat won't be as far back at the same height

~CB
    Wondered about this as well. Assuming the same eSTA with a higher stack the aSTA should be steeper. Looking at the pictures out there from the side it's hard to decide if this is truly the case.
    Called Evil and they said the angles are the same and the added size(from med to large for me) is in the front center. So I'm assuming that, at the same saddle height, the rear center, saddle, and BB relationship is the same for different sized frames.

Oh well, enough geeking out, great fantasy build.
    Starting with my old Pike DP before getting a new fork. I'm thinking the Lyrik will be better for high speed Monster Trucking out west, but, with the Pike, want to see if I can live without the travel adjust on the long climbs first.
    +On the Fox X2, didn't miss the climb switch on my last bike, butů.COIL!
    ++Derby's. This will be the fourth bike for my front wheel, I9 hubs and C-Xrays. Have the new AM Rim to build up on an Onyx Boost hub for the rear and I can say Ray continues to up his game.
    Also hoping a 28 chainring might work but, man, that is a huge chainstay.
    +Shimano cassette, and you can add the OneUp 45T cog if you want a wider range.
    Hope the bike is as good as it looks!
    Big Wheels and Fat Skis keep me young.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    At 6'3" and 220lb do you really need to worry about going on the lighter side? Not judging just thinking it would be worth reconsidering haveing the extra stiffness vs saving what a 1/4-1/2 a lb?

Grand Master Jedi
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer View Post
    At 6'3" and 220lb do you really need to worry about going on the lighter side? Not judging just thinking it would be worth reconsidering haveing the extra stiffness vs saving what a 1/4-1/2 a lb?
    Lol. Realistically no, but I also don't want to go overboard. If I build these wheels with ALL burly parts, they could easily weigh more than 2300g, and at that point pushing them uphill definitely sucks (even for me).

I want a wheel that is strong _enough_, and as light as _possible_. I don't expect these to be DH-strength wheels. I'm aiming for a more trail/light-AM build.

SISSIF
    Should be able to hit 17-1800gm with the Derby or Nox rims. Doubt you'd ever need more beef than that.

Grand Master Jedi
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCanary View Post
    Should be able to hit 17-1800gm with the Derby or Nox rims. Doubt you'd ever need more beef than that.
    I hope you're right but that seems optimistic.

My current 26" wheels are Hadley's/WTB i25's/DT SWISS Alpine III's and they weight 2kg.

I'm hoping for 2kg with the new 29r wheels... I'm hoping lighter hubs help a lot.

SISSIF
    Looked up my original build specs. Derby regular build 29er rims(from 2013), I9 torch classic hubs, Sapim C-Xray spokes with 14mm Alu nipples - 890 rear, 770 front, before tape and valve. Plan to use the old front wheel on the Wreckoning. Decided it was time for a new rear wheel since I needed a new hub for the boost rear. New Derby rim AM build 460 gm, +40, and Onyx boost hub 470 gm, +200. Should still be around 1900 gm set, hope the Onyx performance is worth the weight penalty. Sticking with the C-Xrays, pricey but they build up a very stiff and strong wheel.

Lazy Overachiever
    I hope you're right but that seems optimistic.

My current 26" wheels are Hadley's/WTB i25's/DT SWISS Alpine III's and they weight 2kg.

I'm hoping for 2kg with the new 29r wheels... I'm hoping lighter hubs help a lot.

With Farlow's, I9 Boost, DT Comp's ( I'd shy away from Super Comp's) and brass nips, you should be a tic under 1750gr. with tape and valves.........give or take a skosh.

mtbr member
    At this point, aren't they all fantasy builds?

Drew- Sram makes a centerlock rotor for the Guides, I have them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Probably want to change the 28 tooth front gear to 32 tooth. I have 32 tooth front on mine and 10-42 rear cassette on mine. When in the highest gear the chain is very close to the chainstay. make sure the cranks are boost compatible.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo8 View Post
    Probably want to change the 28 tooth front gear to 32 tooth. I have 32 tooth front on mine and 10-42 rear cassette on mine. When in the highest gear the chain is very close to the chainstay. make sure the cranks are boost compatible.

Any chance you could show a pic of that clearance? I talked to the customer service rep at evil and he said the 9 tooth ring may be to close.

SISSIF
    I've seen it but no pics. Huge chainstay, Burly bike. Hoping to get away with 30T oval in front. The new 11-46 Shimano cassette might be the best match. Going with the OneUp extended 11-45 cassette for starters. Guys were putting some closed cell foam weather stripping on the chainstay to help with chain slap with 10-42 SRAM cassettes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by A_street View Post
    Any chance you could show a pic of that clearance? I talked to the customer service rep at evil and he said the 9 tooth ring may be to close.
    I'll try to get a pic later on tonight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Cost no object I'd do...

XX1 shifter/derailleur/chain
    X01 cassette (prefer the color)
    XTR brakes/rotors
    Fox Doss dropper
    Race Face Atlas stem
    ENVE HDH handlebar
    Next SL Stealth crank
    Absolute Black 30T oval ring
    ENVE M70 wheels
    Minion DHR2 3C front/Minion DHR2 DC rear

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Here are the pictures.

My Wreckoning Fantasy Build-p5pb13227053.jpg
    My Wreckoning Fantasy Build-p5pb13227054.jpg
    My Wreckoning Fantasy Build-p5pb13227055.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Here are the pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb13227053.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	273.7 KB 
ID:	1053992

Name:	p5pb13227054.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	239.1 KB 
ID:	1053993

Name:	p5pb13227055.jpg 
Views:	511 
Size:	278.8 KB 
ID:	1053994
    Nice, I like the gold chain and chromag scarabs

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Here are the pictures.

Are you allowed to answer questions about the bike and how it rides?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Are you allowed to answer questions about the bike and how it rides?
    It rides great!

Grand Master Jedi
    Here are the pictures.

So what size chainring and what cassette is that?

Looks like a SRAM 10-42, but its hard to gauge the chainring..?

I think I'd almost certainly run the new Shimano 11-46 with a 30 or 32t chainring and hope for the best.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    32t and 10-42t

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    So what size chainring and what cassette is that?

Looks like a SRAM 10-42, but its hard to gauge the chainring..?

I think I'd almost certainly run the new Shimano 11-46 with a 30 or 32t chainring and hope for the best.
    The Shimano 11-46 is going to be a pig. Sure, it's cheaper than X01/XX1, but it's going to be 70%+ heavier.

Grand Master Jedi
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    The Shimano 11-46 is going to be a pig. Sure, it's cheaper than X01/XX1, but it's going to be 70%+ heavier.
    Sure. No doubt. But I'll suffer some weight penalty for cost... the SRAM stuff is just crazy expensive.

SRAM X01 cassette is $260 (on a quick Google Search)
    Shimano Xt M8000 is $79 (same)

I can live with a few extra grams on a 30+lb bike for that kind of money (especially as I eat a cassette just about once a season)

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Turbo8, what is the weight on that build you have there? What wheels are those?

RaptorAddict, are you building the bike up pretty burly to make a 30+# bike?

I have not calculated much for weight with components yet. Im looking pretty hard at this bike to replace my 2012 nomadc, but we will see. I wish I could get a demo in San Diego without having to drive 2 hours. One of my buddies bought the insurgent blind from fanatik and loves it.

Grand Master Jedi
    Turbo8, what is the weight on that build you have there? What wheels are those?

RaptorAddict, are you building the bike up pretty burly to make a 30+# bike?

I have not calculated much for weight with components yet. Im looking pretty hard at this bike to replace my 2012 nomadc, but we will see. I wish I could get a demo in San Diego without having to drive 2 hours. One of my buddies bought the insurgent blind from fanatik and loves it.
    I'm just a big guy... See my detailed build list in the first post if this thread. I'm building it to survive all 220lbs of me dropping 4' to flat. I'm betting the build I have outlined is a 31lb build.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have all parts patiently waiting for the frame to bolt them to:

Frame: Large Megladon Blue (6ft1)
    Fork: Lyrik 160 DP Boost
    Bars: Chromag BZA 35mm carbon 800mm
    Stem: Chromag BZA 35mm - 50mm
    Saddle: Chromag Moon Titanium
    Grips: ODI Elite pro
    Dropper: Reverb 150mm
    Brakes: XTR 9020 trail
    Rotors: XT 6 bolt ice-tech
    Cranks: SixC 170mm with 30t chainring
    Cassette: XTR 11-40
    Derailleur: XTR 11spd
    Shifter: XTR 11spd
    Chain: KMC SL 11
    Wheels: Custom Roval Traverse SL carbon 28h front and rear rims laced with DT swiss comp to Boost F and R Hope Evo 2
    Tyres: Magic Mary 2.35 F with Hans Dampf 2.35 rear

SISSIF
    Posted similar before, but continues to evolve.

Large, GMS, Vivid air
    Pike RCT3 DP 160
    Derby's - New and Old, Sapim C-Xray, Red nips.
    Hubs - Front I9 15/100, Rear Onyx Boost - Red, actually match ok.
    Hope Tech3 E4 brakes, 203 Fr, 183 Rr - Red
    RF SIXC 165
    AB 30T oval
    XTR/OneUp 11-45 cassette
    XTR chain
    XTR DR/Shifter
    XTR Trail pedals
    40mm Renthal Apex stem
    760 Renthal FB Carbon Light bar
    Ergon GE-1 grips
    9.8 175mm dropper
    Ergon SME-3 saddle
    Tires - Depends on the season.

All here except for the frame and seatpost. Fortunately, already decided the Wreckoning wouldn't be a Quiver-of-One, so digging the Ibis Ripley LS while waiting to Wreck the trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Nice builds! Here's what I've got in parts waiting to install.

XL, gunmetal, Monarch, red frame and shock graphics

RWC upper shock pivot needle bearings

Lyrik 160mm DP Boost, red/dark grey graphics

Easton ARC 30 rims, red/ dark grey graphics

Hope Pro 4 hubs, black

DT Comp spokes, pro lock nipples, black

Anodized red valve stems

Saint calipers and brake line, XT levers

Shimano ice tec rotors 200/180

RF Atlas 35 bars, 800mm, black

RF Atlas 35/35 stem, black

ODI Rogue lock on grips, black

All XT M8000 drivetrain

Wolf Tooth 32 chainring, black

Reverb 150 dropper

WTB High Tail saddle

Pedaling Innovations pedals, black

Ardent 2.4 rear, Minion DHF 2.5 front

This will be my only bike for now. Sold my Demo and Slash for this. For what it's worth, I'm 6'2", 200lbs, long torso so I need the reach. This will probably see 50/50 bike park/trail use.

SISSIF
    Awesome build, ajdemo76, those graphics sound perfect. That bike will Rip! What parks do you hit?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Awesome build, ajdemo76, those graphics sound perfect. That bike will Rip! What parks do you hit?
    Thanks! I get to Keystone once or twice a week with it being a couple miles down the road. Crested Butte is another favorite. I don't get to Angel Fire like I should.

mtbr member
    I'm bored also, this stuff is sitting here.

Medium blue

Fox 36 blue graphics

Monarch for now (push 11/6 after a month)

Hope pro 4's purple

Derby 35mm rims

Dt comp spokes dt nips

Race face next cranks

AB oval 30t

Xtr 10spd drivetrain

Hope tech 3 brakes purple

Hope purple 180 rotors

Ks lev integra 34.9x150 ordered

Xtr pedals

Twenty6 products f1.2 stem (probably switching to purple Hope 35mm)

Enve dh bars cut to 770

Haven't decided on tires probably hr2's or minions

And my knee is broken so I will build this bike and look at it.

SISSIF
    Thanks! I get to Keystone once or twice a week with it being a couple miles down the road. Crested Butte is another favorite. I don't get to Angel Fire like I should.
    CB and AF closest for me, only make the trip a few times a year though, probably need to branch out some too. Mainly hoping to rack up more days of the long drops off the Divide and CO trail.
    This bike should rule the Rockies!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    CB and AF closest for me, only make the trip a few times a year though, probably need to branch out some too. Mainly hoping to rack up more days of the long drops off the Divide and CO trail.
    This bike should rule the Rockies!
    Are you in the springs? I would agree, this bike should kick ass out here. I'm hoping it pedals as well as my Slash did, but handles DH as well as my 26" Demo.

SISSIF
    South terminus of the CO Trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I see a lot of you guys opting for the dual position forks over a solo air. Has anyone tried one back to back to see if there is a performance difference when it comes to descending rougher terrain? This may just be a issue with older models, but I remember there being less sensitivity to the dual position forks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I see a lot of you guys opting for the dual position forks over a solo air. Has anyone tried one back to back to see if there is a performance difference when it comes to descending rougher terrain? This may just be a issue with older models, but I remember there being less sensitivity to the dual position forks.
    I looked into this myself. When I went to order the Solo, QBP and BTI were both out until late march/early april so I went for the DP. Other than a slight weight difference, I can't find any cons. Maybe someone else can chime in with info.

Lazy Overachiever
    I looked into this myself. When I went to order the Solo, QBP and BTI were both out until late march/early april so I went for the DP. Other than a slight weight difference, I can't find any cons. Maybe someone else can chime in with info.
    I got tired of waiting for my frame, so for sh!ts and giggles, put a Pike DA on my Nomad to break it in, and also see what a Nomad 27. nine would be like. Waste of time on both accounts; bike was too raked-out(figured as much) and the fork was butter smooth outa the box.

Only one ride, on some tame-ish trails, but the DA was as supple and responsive, as my two other SA Pikes.

SISSIF
    I've been a fan of travel adjust forks since I usually run just one bike and I think it makes a bike more versatile. I like the improved position on the bike dropping the fork for long climbs - especially helpful with slack STA. Trade offs are weight, fixed negative coil spring, smaller more progressive air spring, and, possibly, more stiction and drag. This last hasn't been noticeable, for me, with the latest TALAS and DPA forks relative to the float and SA as of 2015. Less tunable but, fortunately, the negative spring and progressive air shaft have been perfect at my weight (190-200 RTR).
    That being said, starting the build with my old Pike DPA intending to see how the Wreckoning will work with or without travel adjust with an eye on the new Lyrik SA with the larger negative air spring.

The GOAT
    Sep 2012
    Currently purchasing and building up the gun metal Wreckoning.

Hope Pro 4 Hubs (in orange) / DTSwiss XMC350 rims with Sapim CX Spokes.
    Hope Tech 3 E4 brakes (in orange)
    Hope Rotors 180mm dia (in orange
    DVO Diamond Forks in black with Anodised orange and re-etched dials and skewer
    Monarch standard shock (for now)
    RaceFace Atlas 50mm Stem
    RaceFace Atlas Handlebars 35mm/800mm
    SDG TI Bell Air Seat
    Hope Seat Clamp (in orange)
    Reverb Dropper 170mm hopefully
    Hope Cassette
    Hope Cranks (in orange) OR Sram XO1 Cranks OR RaceFace Sixc.....I cant decide!
    KMC chain
    Gamut Podium Pedals
    Sram xo shifter and mech
    Odi Grips (in orange)
    Orange decals on frame, wheels and cranks
    Then all covered in matt Invisiframe

The GOAT
    Sep 2012
    [QUOTE=RaptorAddict;12492796]EDIT 1

FRAME: XL EVIL THE WRECKONING, BLACK W/ CUSTOM ORANGE DECALS

6ft 3 and you would go for a XL Im 6 foot and have gone for a medium.

Grand Master Jedi

My Wreckoning Fantasy Build

[QUOTE=THEDOCTOR46;12568669]
    EDIT 1

FRAME: XL EVIL THE WRECKONING, BLACK W/ CUSTOM ORANGE DECALS

6ft 3 and you would go for a XL Im 6 foot and have gone for a medium.
    So far everyone who's as tall as I am have said the XL fits great, so I'm still thinking XL. Trying to get a test ride or at least swing a leg over something similar, but this bike is in a category of 1 so it's not easy. I rode an XL E29 and it felt great and had a longer stem so I'm still confident.

I'm still planning on an XL with a 35mm stem... The numbers workout I think.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by THEDOCTOR46 View Post
    Currently purchasing and building up the gun metal Wreckoning.

Hope Pro 4 Hubs (in orange) / DTSwiss XMC350 rims with Sapim CX Spokes.
    Hope Tech 3 E4 brakes (in orange)
    Hope Rotors 180mm dia (in orange
    DVO Diamond Forks in black with Anodised orange and re-etched dials and skewer
    Monarch standard shock (for now)
    RaceFace Atlas 50mm Stem
    RaceFace Atlas Handlebars 35mm/800mm
    SDG TI Bell Air Seat
    Hope Seat Clamp (in orange)
    Reverb Dropper 170mm hopefully
    Hope Cassette
    Hope Cranks (in orange) OR Sram XO1 Cranks OR RaceFace Sixc.....I cant decide!
    KMC chain
    Gamut Podium Pedals
    Sram xo shifter and mech
    Odi Grips (in orange)
    Orange decals on frame, wheels and cranks
    Then all covered in matt Invisiframe
    Nice build, good colors! My color pick is pretty much the same.

Still waiting for my size M Gun Metal frame. Bought most of the components tho...

Rock Shox Reverb Stealth seat post
    Nukeproof Vector AM Comp saddle (black/grey)

Rock Shox Lyrik RCT3 Dual Air 160mm
    Race Face Next 35 Handlebars 760mm with 20mm rise (black/grey)
    Race Face Atlas 35 stem 35mm
    Race Face Love Handle grips (black)

Hope Tech Enduro Pro 4 wheelset (100mm front/148mm rear orange hubs)

Can't decide on the tires. I like Magic Mary at front and Hans Dampf rear. Any suggestions?

Shimano XT shifters
    Shimano XT 11-42 cassette
    Shimano XT GS rear mech

Hope steel bb (orange)
    Hope Retainer Narrow Wide chainring 32t (gold) Orange probably would look better tho...
    Hope crankset 170mm (orange)
    KMC X11 EL Gold chain

Was going to go for Moove Torque pedals (thru pins in orange) but they are out of stock so will most likely will go for Hope F20 pedals in orange

Shimano XT brakes with Nukeproof break pads
    Shimano RT86 Ice Tec 6 bolts (203mm front/180mm rear) brake disc rotors

P.S. Anyone knows any websites where I could see how my build would look? virtual bike builder or so...?

The GOAT
    Sep 2012
    As it turns out i must have shrunk!! Measured properly I'm 5,11 so hoping the medium is good.

SISSIF
    5' 11", 34" inseam, somewhat conservative on reach. Medium is perfect with 40mm stem and 30mm rise bars. Large would definitely work and I would have gone that way, with lower rise bars, if I had wanted a little more reach. Best size for you depends on your proportions ,preference, and type of riding. Great bike for sure.

BTW, not to get personal, but what are you GOAT at?

The GOAT
    Sep 2012
    5' 11", 34" inseam, somewhat conservative on reach. Medium is perfect with 40mm stem and 30mm rise bars. Large would definitely work and I would have gone that way, with lower rise bars, if I had wanted a little more reach. Best size for you depends on your proportions ,preference, and type of riding. Great bike for sure.

5,11 tall ,34" leg not sure on reach, I've ordered 40mm atlas stem and 10mm rise bars. I'm doing enduro racing this season. Been using my Intense T275c which I love in a size large. I have no idea if my reach is long or not. Worried I've got wrong frame with a medium but can't tell I suppose until it is built the in will be too late to swap

SISSIF
    If this is your first 29er, Medium might be an easier transition to the big wheels. But, honestly, it handles so well, shouldn't be a problem either way. My buddies from Nomad, Mach 6, etc have all loved hopping on the Wreckoning.
    Reach is a touch shorter than the Large T275c. May find you need to bump up the stem to 50 or something for the fit. I have same inseam and same problem with seatposts - 150 would be at min insertion, 170 barely fits with about a cm to spare.
    Good luck! I'll be opening the season at Santa Fe BME in May. Where will you be racing?

The GOAT
    Sep 2012
    Just the PMBA Enduro Series here in the UK. My first year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

What size of a Nomad were you on? I was originally going to order the Wreckoning in the large. But after comparing measurements to a large nomad and reading your assessment I am now leaning toward the medium. Would you compare the fit of the medium Wreckoning to that of a large Nomad? I have similar measurements at 5' 11" with a 33 inch in seam. I was on a large Nomad with a 35mm stem and it was a good fit.

I ordered a 170mm seat post and am wondering if the inch difference in my inseam will require me to go sown to a 150mm. Sounds like you don't have anymore room to go down. I will be running 165 mm cranks also.

I know it's all personal preference but any insight and a size comparison of your Nomad would be helpful.

SISSIF
    My last bike was an Intense Carbine 29er. Great bike, had one off and on for 2 yrs trying to find something better. Finally found the Wreckoning. Usually ride a large but in these long travel 29ers the medium has worked out great.
    Have some rides on a friends Large Nomad and that fit fine.
    170 post may be long with a 33" inseam(true to floor, not pants?).
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

First ride, just waiting for the 170mm dropper to hit australia. Only got two laps in of the local loop, but the bike shreds. Im 6ft2 and the large felt perfect, I was even considering an xl but glad i went with the smaller size. Will post a longer ride report later but at this stage all grins.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Grand Master Jedi
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcairns View Post

First ride, just waiting for the 170mm dropper to hit australia. Only got two laps in of the local loop, but the bike shreds. Im 6ft2 and the large felt perfect, I was even considering an xl but glad i went with the smaller size. Will post a longer ride report later but at this stage all grins.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
    Why are you glad you went with the Large? What about the fit makes you say that? I'm debating L/XL and I'm curious...