Luftkappe vs Smashpot on Offering- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Luftkappe vs Smashpot on Offering

Lots of info out there on both of these, but I wanted to get some Evil advice. I'm pulling the trigger on an ElevenSIX and I'm considering a front end upgrade for my 36 as well.

Luftkappe vs Smashpot

Luftkappe seems like a good first step, but my guess is that it still isn't coil performance.

Smashpot seems like a better buy over ACS3 if I swap it to a bigger fork, but I'm mostly concerned about not being able to switch back to air after I convert to coil. I've flipped forks between two bikes and once this goes coil, it won't work on the other bike. This is my first venture into coil and I could see where gaining corner traction and minimizing arm fatigue would be awesome, but I haven't heard anyone describe their bikes still being as poppy or playful.

Can anyone that has made the switch to ACS3 or Smashpot on the Offering shed some "playful" insights?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Kjcdesignz; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:33 AM. Reason: Grammer
    2019 Evil Offering (160/140 29")
    2017 Santa Cruz Chameleon (SS 29")
    2015 Salsa Blackborrow (Fatty)
    2009 Redline Monocog 29er Flight (SS 29" Commuter)

aka bOb
    I would add the Diaz Runt to the list as well, almost coil like performance without the weight and more tunable.

nel
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kjcdesignz View Post
    Lots of info out there on both of these, but I wanted to get some Evil advice. I'm pulling the trigger on an ElevenSIX and I'm considering a front end upgrade for my 36 as well.

Luftkappe vs Smashpot

Luftkappe seems like a good first step, but my guess is that it still isn't coil performance.

Smashpot seems like a better buy over ACS3 if I swap it to a bigger fork, but I'm mostly concerned about not being able to switch back to air after I convert to coil. I've flipped forks between two bikes and once this goes coil, it won't work on the other bike. This is my first venture into coil and I could see where gaining corner traction and minimizing arm fatigue would be awesome, but I haven't heard anyone describe their bikes still being as poppy or playful.

Can anyone that has made the switch to ACS3 or Smashpot on the Offering shed some "playful" insights?

Thanks!
    Hi there,

Short version: get the Smashpot. Long version: I have a 2018 Fox 36 RC2 (EVOL) on my Offering. Fitted a Luftkappe first of all and to be honest there wasn't all that much difference compared to when I converted my older Lyrik with a Luftkappe. If your 36 isn't the EVOL version you may notice more of a difference. Then I did the Smashpot coil conversion. For me the fork was better in all areas but especially in mid-stroke support and small bump compliance. My fork has HSC and LSC adjustment which is useful to have in a coil converted fork as it allows fine tuning. The fork felt so good I wanted the rear end to match so got an EXT storia V3 Lok coil. Once set up I wouldn't say I noticed any loss of playfulness or "pop" but there is a noticeable gain in traction / grip on the natural steep rooty descents I normally ride. It can be set up to feel planted or lively depending on your preferences. The bike does feel heavier to lift when stationary but I don't notice the weight difference when descending. For me the bike is much more capable descending so the weight gain is worth it. If you are going with a coil shock I would definitely recommend going coil in the fork as well as it should be easier to balance the bike if you have coil both ends.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks Nel, Ended up going with the Smashpot. Its going into a 36 Grip2 so there will be plenty of adjustments to find that balance front to rear with that 11/6. Cheers!
    2019 Evil Offering (160/140 29")
    2017 Santa Cruz Chameleon (SS 29")
    2015 Salsa Blackborrow (Fatty)
    2009 Redline Monocog 29er Flight (SS 29" Commuter)