Insurgent v Following sizing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Insurgent v Following sizing

Hi all,

Ive just decided i want to purchase an Insurgent after finding out that the following it such a good bike and fits me so well.

Im currently riding a large following with a 35mm stem which is a great balance for me. When looking at the geometry of the insurgent the large looks much longer in the reach and top tube in the same large size. If i add a 40mm stem onto the medium insurgent the bike would be within 1mm of the Following.

Does anyone have the experience of owning or riding both bikes? If so please could you tell me your riding experience for the sizing.

Im 5' 9" tall and have around a 31" inside leg. I do like a shorter reach bike for some reason as i feel I'm much more in control DH.

I have a large Transition Patrol which is kind of short in the top tube and very long in the reach so don't want to make the same mistake with purchasing the Insurgent.

My local bike shop does have a large Insurgent build up which i have thrown my leg over and it did feel long when seated but its hard to understand the reach unless riding DH and there are no demo bikes available.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I would go Medium. That large is pretty big. Interesting that you ride a Large Following. Why did you go with the Large?
    "You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stejam View Post
    Hi all,

Ive just decided i want to purchase an Insurgent after finding out that the following it such a good bike and fits me so well.

Im currently riding a large following with a 35mm stem which is a great balance for me. When looking at the geometry of the insurgent the large looks much longer in the reach and top tube in the same large size. If i add a 40mm stem onto the medium insurgent the bike would be within 1mm of the Following.

Does anyone have the experience of owning or riding both bikes? If so please could you tell me your riding experience for the sizing.

Im 5' 9" tall and have around a 31" inside leg. I do like a shorter reach bike for some reason as i feel I'm much more in control DH.

I have a large Transition Patrol which is kind of short in the top tube and very long in the reach so don't want to make the same mistake with purchasing the Insurgent.

My local bike shop does have a large Insurgent build up which i have thrown my leg over and it did feel long when seated but its hard to understand the reach unless riding DH and there are no demo bikes available.

Thanks!
    I have both Following and Insurgent in Medium and I am exactly your dims. 5'9" with 31" inseam. I am running 50mm stem with 780 bars on Following and 40mm stem and 780 bars on the Insurgent, and I think the fit is spot on, for me at least.

Insurgent is a touch roomier then the Following but both fit extremely well and no possible way I would ride a L Insurgent.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominator13 View Post
    I would go Medium. That large is pretty big. Interesting that you ride a Large Following. Why did you go with the Large?
    I went with the large following just because of the sizing as its a short bike in reach and TT. I would rather run a shorter stem (35 or 40mm) on a large than have a medium with a 60 or 70mm stem

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks i got to test a medium Insurgent at Fort William and its a perfect size just like the large Following with a shorter stem (35mm).