I want an Evil, But wich One???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2016

I want an Evil, But wich One???

Hey Gang,

Been creeping and looking through various threads to help me on my new bike purchase. I need some Evil in my life a I can't decide between the Calling, Following MB or the Wreckoning.

I am coming off a Coiled shock Hightower which has served me well but its getting a little long in the tooth...

I Ride Alberta/BC Rockies and race the odd BC enduro series race(just for fun, but getting better). The wreckoning seems like the right choice but I feel like it would be way to much bike for my local Trails(Very XC based).
    Then that gets me thinking that the Calling or Following would be a good one bike quiver for me. As I do enjoy 25km+ rides with well over a 1000m climbing

Also, with the new Evil's going to Trunion Mounted shocks, what do you guys expect the life cycle the Current Wreckoning to be? I Feel like an update to this bike isn't to far away.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Here's my opinion, I am biased towards 29er but I think since you are coming off a Hightower you know how they ride.

1st off I have spent a ton of time on a Hightower and they just don't ride like an Evil. That regressive to progressive VPP leverage ratio doesn't compare to the fully progressive ratio of the evils. You will dig any of the Evil's ride quality.

I have a gen 1 following that have about 3000miles on and know it very well. I haven't ridden the new MB but it's pretty much the same bike just better in terms of the Trunion mount, stiffer rear end and more reach. The following v1 is a great trail bike but not an enduro race machine. I have beat all my Strava times by a good margin when I started on the following after selling my Spartan. It does get overwhelmed with rear dh stuff. So if your enduro races are super steep then I would steer twords the Wreckoning.

I spent 3 long days in Sedona this spring riding all it has to offer. We rode about 30 miles a day and covered all the good stuff. The Wreckoning is an amazing bike. It is more to pedal around than the following and less snappy when getting on the gas but the fun factor is 110. I live in Maine and most my trails are on the flatter side so the following is the ticket for most days. But I have the itch for a second bike so starting to gather parts for a Wreckoning build this winter. The bike is just too much fun not to own. Sure the stack height is tall due to the 160mm fork with 29" wheels, but it makes it manual so well! What impressed me the most with this bike were the technical climbs I could clean. I was cleaning stuff that a big 160mm bike should not be able to. I would say lean tword the smaller of the two sizes if you are on the fence with the Wreckoning. I am 5-10 and the med fits spot on with a 50mm stem. The large with its 47.5" wheel base is just too much of a tank for my height. I do ride a large following but that bike runs smaller than the wreck.