Following + Xterra Tri- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Following + Xterra Tri

Good afternoon,
    I have been enjoying my Following for about two months now and still amazed how well it pedals and overall great bike. My current trails are more XC/Trail then Trail/AM but it holds up with the best of them and I wouldn't ride a different brand/bike! I recently came across a local Xterra race that happens to be at my local trail network, here in about three months. I have the luxury of riding the 'race' several months in advance which is great and this also holds true for the trail run portion. I was curious if anyone within the Evil family has used their rigs for any type or race? The Following is a little burlier then must rigs around here but I actually enjoy that since people look at me sideways and ask me what type of bike I'm riding. I currently have a 130 Yari up front, thought about dropping it down to 120 but not sure its worth it...but possibly. I have a dropper on there and thought about removing that as well and tossing a normal seat post since I don't ever use the dropper for the trails around here. Figured that might save half a pound or so. Just brainstorming on a few things for the bike....and curious if anyone has used their bikes in this manner.

Thanks for the help and have a great rest of the weekend.

Z

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zmtthw View Post
    Good afternoon,
    I have been enjoying my Following for about two months now and still amazed how well it pedals and overall great bike. My current trails are more XC/Trail then Trail/AM but it holds up with the best of them and I wouldn't ride a different brand/bike! I recently came across a local Xterra race that happens to be at my local trail network, here in about three months. I have the luxury of riding the 'race' several months in advance which is great and this also holds true for the trail run portion. I was curious if anyone within the Evil family has used their rigs for any type or race? The Following is a little burlier then must rigs around here but I actually enjoy that since people look at me sideways and ask me what type of bike I'm riding. I currently have a 130 Yari up front, thought about dropping it down to 120 but not sure its worth it...but possibly. I have a dropper on there and thought about removing that as well and tossing a normal seat post since I don't ever use the dropper for the trails around here. Figured that might save half a pound or so. Just brainstorming on a few things for the bike....and curious if anyone has used their bikes in this manner.

Thanks for the help and have a great rest of the weekend.

Z
    I am in the same boat as I will be doing the Leadville 100 on my Following in August along with several other long distance events. I just have an ENVE post and XC wheels/tires on there. My bike is 26lbs and change. Light enough to get by in my opinion and at the same time have lots of in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Awesome! I would love to hear how it goes!

Currently, the rig weights 29lbs, so I'm hoping with some minor updates, it might shave a little here and there. I would love to toss on some carbon wheels at some point. I believe that is probably one of the biggest factors to save weight and added performance. But even as it currently, the bike pedals extremely well...which helps a ton.

Z

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm actually planning on doing just that. I've got an Xterra coming up and my Following climbs so well I'm going to use it and see how it goes. With xc tyres and a shorter travel fork it's right on 26lbs including dropper so I figure it won't be the bike letting me down if anything. I was thinking about swapping out the dropper but given where the weight is on the bike I'm assuming the reduction won't have much impact and being able to get the seat out of the way on decents will save more time than carrying the extra weight will cost me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Great to hear! When is your race scheduled? Crazy enough, I was pre-racing the trail yesterday and once back to the car, low and behold, there was a guy there on another Following. Around here....I have never seen any Evil rigs so it was funny to see one parked right next to us. He has his rig down to 120mm so I'm leaning towards going through that process and see how it feels. For my tyres, I'm riding Ikon's front and back and appear to roll well. I'm still amazing how my 29lbs Following pedals so well.

I look forward to hearing how your race goes. Good luck!

Z

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You can drop the dropper, lower the fork, throw on thinwalled low profile tires, run it in steep mode and increase the air pressure in the fork and shock to make it as race worthy as possible...

but to be honest, it might "jam your frequency" to be on a bike that isn't the way you love it, and unless you're competing to win, then I'd just ride it and enjoy. If you're planning on the podium, you may as well consider a second bike just for the race.