Following V1 Owners - Avvy Tune or Fox Float DPS Upgrade?- Mtbr.com
    Void Ab Initio

Following V1 Owners - Avvy Tune or Fox Float DPS Upgrade?

So I've been riding my V1 for almost 2 years, and although the Following MB is tempting, I don't feel that I've really used my V1 for all she's worth, so I'm looking to do a little upgrading. I already have the RWC Needle bearing kit, but would like a little more action from the rear shock. As a result, I'm looking at either shipping my Monarch to Avalanche for a custom tune or dropping the coin for a Float DPS Evol. I'd like some real world feedback from V1 owners who have done one or the other. Pros/Cons, what did you do and would you do it again, etc.? Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I have only rode with the fox on mine with RWC. 140 up front in low geo from day one. So I dont have a comparison. I have been happy with it. Iím 185lbs running about 250ish air psi about 12-13mm sag. Doing small drops and jumps I donít bottom out unless I land horrible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Because the fox was cost prohibitive down here in Australia, I got my monarch custom tuned locally.

From what I've heard the fox is definitely better in its stock form than the monarch but it doesn't really overcome the high pressures needed for us big guys which made the shock difficult to get just right. I was continually playing with pressures and bands on the monarch to get it how I wanted it.

The beauty for me in getting the monarch tuned was I had an idea as to exactly how I wanted the shock to ride and the custom tune delivered that perfectly. No more fiddling, just change the shock pressure by 5-10 psi depending on terrain and ride. Would recommend.

mtbr member

Following V1 Owners - Avvy Tune or Fox Float DPS Upgrade?

Can't help with the Following, but I've just stuck a DPS Evol on my Insurgent and I'm very impressed. For comparison I've run the Monarch Plus (never been really impressed) a CCDB iL (good, perhaps more than necessary for my normal trails) and a CCDBA CS (awesome in the Alps, wasted locally!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #bleedblackdieevil

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack990 View Post
    So I've been riding my V1 for almost 2 years, and although the Following MB is tempting, I don't feel that I've really used my V1 for all she's worth, so I'm looking to do a little upgrading. I already have the RWC Needle bearing kit, but would like a little more action from the rear shock. As a result, I'm looking at either shipping my Monarch to Avalanche for a custom tune or dropping the coin for a Float DPS Evol. I'd like some real world feedback from V1 owners who have done one or the other. Pros/Cons, what did you do and would you do it again, etc.? Thanks in advance!
    Not sure if this will help.

I've had the V1 for about two months and decided a spare shock for this bike is probably a good idea anyway. Fanatik currently has a batch of V1 tuned DPS EVOL shocks in stock but not sure how long they will be available. I bought one, installed it and like it much better than the RS. No fiddling, just put it on and set the sag. I find it very compliant on the hits but with better pedaling efficiency running it wide open (I do a lot of climbing). Honestly if the bike had come with the Fox, I'm not sure I would have considered the need for a backup.

I also decided to send the RS off to Craig at Avalanche. He actually called me last night and explained at length what his tune will do for the shock (much more technical detail than I really comprehend). It's on the way back to me as of this morning so I'll report back once I've had a chance to try it out. Craig claims it will blow me away and I'm good with that.

Void Ab Initio
    Quote Originally Posted by madog99 View Post
    Not sure if this will help.

I've had the V1 for about two months and decided a spare shock for this bike is probably a good idea anyway. Fanatik currently has a batch of V1 tuned DPS EVOL shocks in stock but not sure how long they will be available. I bought one, installed it and like it much better than the RS. No fiddling, just put it on and set the sag. I find it very compliant on the hits but with better pedaling efficiency running it wide open (I do a lot of climbing). Honestly if the bike had come with the Fox, I'm not sure I would have considered the need for a backup.

I also decided to send the RS off to Craig at Avalanche. He actually called me last night and explained at length what his tune will do for the shock (much more technical detail than I really comprehend). It's on the way back to me as of this morning so I'll report back once I've had a chance to try it out. Craig claims it will blow me away and I'm good with that.
    This is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. Keep me posted!

FM
    mtbr member
    Yo, I sent my monarch off to Craig early spring and got it back just in time for a trip to Moab. It's a totally different shock now. It rides higher in the travel but is also more active on small chatter stuff. as per usual with Craig, he "re-clocked" the adjustments so they would make more sense for my weight/bike/riding style vs the generic tune.

On the original tune, I usually ran only 1-2 clicks of rebound damping- he reclocked it so I'm now in the middle of the range. Stock Monarchs (including the plus) usually feel like the HS and LS compression aren't balanced to me. When I set them up fast enough to absorb trail chatter, they buck on big hits. SLow them down for big hits and they pack down on the high speed stuff. At least that was my sense of how the shock rode, the rebound feels much more composed after the tune.

After his tune I pretty much leave the switch in the middle, pedal position all the time. I don't feel there's any benefit to the open or climb positions.

I think Avy is your best option, I suspect you'll get the best feel from a custom tuned shock, plus the price is pretty reasonable since it's mostly a shim job. However, be prepared to be without your shock for a few weeks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post

After his tune I pretty much leave the switch in the middle, pedal position all the time. I don't feel there's any benefit to the open or climb positions.

I think Avy is your best option, I suspect you'll get the best feel from a custom tuned shock, plus the price is pretty reasonable since it's mostly a shim job. However, be prepared to be without your shock for a few weeks.
    I just received the Monarch back from Craig today. After my first ride, I would pretty much agree with above. It's a much better shock after the Avy tune. I did experiment with the compression settings. there are subtle differences between the three but PEDAL is probably best. You get slightly firmer in CLOSED, slight softer in OPEN but all three felt really good on chatter and hits and all three seemed efficient for pedaling. I don't think you go wrong with either the Fox or Avy tune. Either is a big improvement over the original Monarch. Avalanche is certainly the most cost efficient option if you can be without the bike for a few weeks.

Void Ab Initio
    So, looks like Avalanche it will be. Thanks for the feedback!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by madog99 View Post
    I just received the Monarch back from Craig today. After my first ride, I would pretty much agree with above. It's a much better shock after the Avy tune. I did experiment with the compression settings. there are subtle differences between the three but PEDAL is probably best. You get slightly firmer in CLOSED, slight softer in OPEN but all three felt really good on chatter and hits and all three seemed efficient for pedaling. I don't think you go wrong with either the Fox or Avy tune. Either is a big improvement over the original Monarch. Avalanche is certainly the most cost efficient option if you can be without the bike for a few weeks.
    I run in "climb" most of the time because it rides firm and doesn't get harsh in the rough terrain, in fact, it seems to help activate the high speed circuit when bashing though the rough. That amount of compression support and stability is not possible with the stock tune, the shock turns into a jackhammer on trail and pedal stock and the only other setting is "blows though the travel". Coil>air, but Avy tune is great if you are stuck with air.

The Avy tune (my fork and shocks) runs a lot more low speed compression and rebound damping. Every time a new fork comes out, 36, diamond, pike, etc., people are telling us how much more support there is. There is no comparison between these and the custom tune. It's like having your cake and eating it too, makes me feel like a hero on the gnarly steep PacNW trails I'm riding this week.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Void Ab Initio
    Update: I found a great deal on the Float on Ebay and will try that for now. I had pretty much decided on an Avy tune, but really didn't want to be bike-less for several weeks. So, when I found the Float for a little more than a custom tune, I decided to jump on it. I haven't ruled out the Avy tune yet though. I'm reserving judgment until I get a few rides on the Float.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The turn around was fast. Put the order in few weeks ago, and Avy emailed me when Craig was ready to work on the shock. Sent it in using 2 day priority mail Monday, Avy received on Wednesday, finished and mailed on Friday using 2 day priority mail back to me.

Had two rides so far on a trail that know very well (mix of long fire roads, steep downhills with mixture of rocks, roots, chatter, and flow). The Avy tune blew me away. Very supportive and plush. Makes my 36 feel harsh. Before the tune, I only noticed the rear end. Now I need to tinker with 36 more.

Besides the SSD mod and HSB adjustments, Craig added 1 neg volume reducer and kept the 2 pos vol reducer I had in there @ 240psi (I'm ~185lbs kitted). I tried both open and mid position, and both worked very well. I liked the mid position as others pointed out. Didn't give up plush feel at all compared to open mode.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack990 View Post
    Update: I found a great deal on the Float on Ebay and will try that for now. I had pretty much decided on an Avy tune, but really didn't want to be bike-less for several weeks. So, when I found the Float for a little more than a custom tune, I decided to jump on it. I haven't ruled out the Avy tune yet though. I'm reserving judgment until I get a few rides on the Float.
    Thanks for pointing out the deal on the DPS on ebay. I just scored one too. Will probably send the monarch to avy once I have the DPS too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jimarin View Post
    Thanks for pointing out the deal on the DPS on ebay. I just scored one too. Will probably send the monarch to avy once I have the DPS too.
    Same here. Good deal.